• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SCEE confirms three-hour press conference for GamesCom

nyong

Banned
Lagpsike_exe said:
Sony stated that they will not implement trophy support to PSP games, because of rampant piracy and hacking.

Crap :(

I must have missed that announcement. It's not like they're going to fix this with PSP2 or anything.

Massa

NinjaFusion said:
he was one of the reasons sony ignored huge franchises for the first 12-18 months of the ps3's life in favour of untested new ip's... this was brave but ultimately it was the wrong direction to go.

and during the last few year's he's kind of become irrelevant... look at atari... hardly the phoenix they promised, eh?

What huge franchises did he ignore exactly?

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Hypno Funk said:
It will take 1.5 hours of partying and booze to butter up the press for the other 1.5 hours explaining why the PS3 Slim should be $599.

spmonkgafba5.jpg

gtj1092 said:
Like why does it bother some that there has or hasn't been speculation for a year. No one is forced to read it.

I was just saying that I remember people saying what Loxley was talking about, nothing more. They might have called it 'PS3 Slim & Lite' or PSThree, but it's the same thing. (I'm not even sure if PS3 Slim is an official name, anyone know where it originated?)
I have little to no doubt that it will be announced this month and released Sept in Europe at least.

Kagari said:
GameRepublic is doing another PS3 title?

After having Clash of the Titans and 300 cancelled by the collapse of Brash last year, I would certainly hope so. Okamoto certainly deserves far better than that misery.

they better flesh out in more detail the DD library,
my pre-order on the PSP Go depends on it,

i give them an ultamatum until September 30th to flesh out in detail because that library is still too meager IMO

Busty

Banned
MassiveAttack said:
After having Clash of the Titans and 300 cancelled by the collapse of Brash last year, I would certainly hope so. Okamoto certainly deserves far better than that misery.

I didn't realise that both of those titles had been cancelled.

I'd heard that WB wanted still wanted Clash Of The Titans ready to release with the film.

Interesting.

F#A#Oo

Banned
I could care less about the PS3 slim...

All I care about is Sony getting their act together and putting together a very good upgrade together in the 3.0 firmware...

Why is it that MS can make a fuss over stuff but Sony are always 3 steps behind and never make a fuss. Ridiculous. Fuck HOME and all the other BS Sony think the PS3 user is interested in...we're not interested.

BeeDog

F#A#Oo said:

All I care about is Sony getting their act together and putting together a very good upgrade together in the 3.0 firmware...

Why is it that MS can make a fuss over stuff but Sony are always 3 steps behind and never make a fuss. Ridiculous. Fuck HOME and all the other BS Sony think the PS3 user is interested in...we're not interested.

Because a huge chunk of the Xbox Live users are paying users? It's easy to come with improvements and damn good services when they have the budget and the skills to do it. PSN will never come close, since you get what you pay for.

Woo-Fu

Banned
F#A#Oo said:

Uh gee, might have something to do with Live being created last generation, and not this one. Expecting XMB/PSN to sprout from the forehead of Sony, instantly feature for feature competitive with a service that bears a subscription fee is rather, well, dimwitted.

If you want Live, buy a 360. You have unreasonable expectations if you want the same experience on PS3.

Banned
Price cut and Ps3 slim are most important.
GT5 in 2009 is also important.

Everything else is just a bonus.

I expect some more mumblings about the motion controller, PSP Go!, and current 2009 line up. That's all a given. Any new games shown are icing on the cake.

BeeDog said:
Because a huge chunk of the Xbox Live users are paying users? It's easy to come with improvements and damn good services when they have the budget and the skills to do it. PSN will never come close, since you get what you pay for.

Correction - PSN won't come close UNTIL a reboot is made --> new console is launched.
PSN team is strained by the fact that they have a very limited RAM budget. Back in the 2006. when it was being developed, they probably weren't able to predict just how much RAM they will need for everything they want, so they reserved a huge chunk of it. During time, it was reduced, but after every reduction they had less and less RAM available for OS. Things like cross-game invites and such should have been implemented from day 1. God knows how hard it would be to implement such a thing right now. And of course - it probably wouldn't work retroactively, which means that only games made after the FW/SDK update was made would work with such a thing (use trophies for example).
Basically, I think that the PSN 2.0 will be a huge improvement, but that probably won't come until PS4.

I think SCE should move the firmware development team from Japan to Europe. That way the team will be more in touch with what we want from the service, whilst also implementing features from Home into the XMB and vice versa.
The features we want will probably come in 3.00, but its taken far too long for this to happen.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
GT5 Release date please. Pretty please?

Kinan

VicViper said:
Where's the official GAF GamesCom thread, anyways? It's only one week away!

If noone else already working, I can start making one.

Also will be there for a day, not yet decided which day it will be though.

Lagpsike_exe said:
Correction - PSN won't come close UNTIL a reboot is made --> new console is launched.
PSN team is strained by the fact that they have a very limited RAM budget. Back in the 2006. when it was being developed, they probably weren't able to predict just how much RAM they will need for everything they want, so they reserved a huge chunk of it. During time, it was reduced, but after every reduction they had less and less RAM available for OS. Things like cross-game invites and such should have been implemented from day 1. God knows how hard it would be to implement such a thing right now. And of course - it probably wouldn't work retroactively, which means that only games made after the FW/SDK update was made would work with such a thing (use trophies for example).
Basically, I think that the PSN 2.0 will be a huge improvement, but that probably won't come until PS4.

It would be nice if they found some room in that RAM for previews of games on PSN, or at least a few damn screenshots. It's ridiculous how games have a vague description in tiny text. How they expect to sell games like that I don't know.

F#A#Oo

Banned
BeeDog said:

What? That makes no sense. I'm talking about features...party chat, the ability to join other people's games from the XMB. This stuff has nothing to do with paying ffs. It's purely and utterly Sony not getting their shit together.

If Sony stopped dicking around with their marketing BS they have set up in HOME and concentrated on actual service delivery PSN it would be the best online platform for console's.

Woo-Fu said:
Uh gee, might have something to do with Live being created last generation, and not this one. Expecting XMB/PSN to sprout from the forehead of Sony, instantly feature for feature competitive with a service that bears a subscription fee is rather, well, dimwitted.

If you want Live, buy a 360. You have unreasonable expectations if you want the same experience on PS3.

I have a 360 already but I main the PS3 for the most part...which is why I'm frustrated.

Please don't feed me this BS about pay...most of the feature on XBL are already present for PC ffs...:lol

XBL is only more feature rich but in no way is it because MS has people paying for XBL...they take people's XBL subscription and possibly only a fraction of it ever gets ploughed back into the service.

Bojanglez said:
Fixed... sorry a pet hate of mine

:D

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
The RAM's not the problem in and of itself. MS did just fine with less. Nor is it about subscriptions. The outstanding features we're talking about don't have nearly the same ongoing costs as other things Sony's already adopted.

It's a competency issue. Sony & the firmware team doesn't have the same experience with operating systems as Microsoft, obviously.

If they squeezed in voice chat and cross game invites I'm not sure what else would be absent vs 360's in-game OS (?) They'll get there but it'll take time. At least they're trying unlike someone else I could mention.

tzare

BeeDog said:

the main difference with XBLA and PSN is not the service itself but the OS running on both 360 and PS3

iceatcs

I'm deaf. I always think Live and PSN are exactly same to me.

I'm wondering what all those people saying those are not the same? Voice thing?

Busty

Banned
Massa said:
Yes. Personally I think the PS3 would be dead if it wasn't for SCEWWS.

And there wouldn't even be an Xbox 360 if it wasn't for Bungie and the HALO games.

It works across all formats.

tirminyl

iceatcs said:
I'm deaf. I always think Live and PSN are exactly same to me.

I'm wondering what all those people saying those are not the same? Voice thing?

They complain that PSN does not have cross-game invite, cross-game voice chat, or the latest Live feature party chat. This apparently makes the service completely broken and ancient.

spwolf

F#A#Oo said:
What? That makes no sense. I'm talking about features...party chat, the ability to join other people's games from the XMB. This stuff has nothing to do with paying ffs. It's purely and utterly Sony not getting their shit together.

If Sony stopped dicking around with their marketing BS they have set up in HOME and concentrated on actual service delivery PSN it would be the best online platform for console's.

I have a 360 already but I main the PS3 for the most part...which is why I'm frustrated.

Please don't feed me this BS about pay...most of the feature on XBL are already present for PC ffs...:lol

XBL is only more feature rich but in no way is it because MS has people paying for XBL...they take people's XBL subscription and possibly only a fraction of it ever gets ploughed back into the service.

:D

uhm, if you have 10 million people paying $50 per year to get the service, such service will obviously have more people working on it.

Now if you ask me if I would pay $50 per year for voice chat and cross game invites answer is :lol

tirminyl said:
They complain that PSN does not have cross-game invite, cross-game voice chat, or the latest Live feature party chat. This apparently makes the service completely broken and ancient.

No one is saying PSN is broken, but for the premium you pay for a ps3 over the other consoles, you do expect a better service, and on the PSN front, that's just not the case.

F#A#Oo

Banned
It's funny it's people who complain and bitch like me who eventually get companies to change and improve stuff whilst people who like to suck the companies dick and brown nose reap the rewards of the moaners and complainers...:D

Smelly Tramp said:
No one is saying PSN is broken, but for the premium you pay for a ps3 over the other consoles, you do expect a better service, and on the PSN front, that's just not the case.

I think you should probably separate the price of the console to the value of the online service. Every company and consumer in the business does so. This should help re-align your expectations.

GodofWine

Smelly Tramp said:

For the 'premium' I expected built in wireless, a HD, BluRay player, controllers with built in lithium batteries and reliability, and it delivered on those. Plus it plays game online perfectly as an added bonus.

(I like my 360 too though)

Regarding this thread...I want GT5 playing, and two surprises of large scale impact...thats what I want.

Kunan

GodofWine said:
For the 'premium' I expected built in wireless, a HD, BluRay player, controllers with built in lithium batteries and reliability, and it delivered on those. Plus it plays game online perfectly as an added bonus.

(I like my 360 too though)

Regarding this thread...I want GT5 playing, and two surprises of large scale impact...thats what I want.
Exactly. This upfront 'premium' is not some limitless pot of cash for Sony to make all dreams come true. It's for all the items mentioned above!

Smelly Tramp said:

MS is the only company that makes people think online play is a luxury that you need to pay a 'premium' for. They do the same thing with wireless internet access. I've never had a problem playing on psn, even over wifi. It does everything I want it to do and Sony doesn't charge me a single penny for it.

It will be pretty funny in a month or two when the ps3 and 360 cost exactly the same, while the former has free online, wifi, and blu ray all out of the box.

H_Prestige said:
MS is the only company that makes people think online play is a luxury that you need to pay a 'premium' for. I've never had a problem playing on psn, even over wifi. It does everything I want it to do and Sony doesn't charge me a single penny for it.

It will be pretty funny in a month or two when the ps3 and 360 cost exactly the same, while the former has free online, wifi, and blu ray all out of the box.

but xbox live is simply a better and more integrated service. Having both systems, i would never choose to play online on PS3 if he same game is on Xbox 360.

it;s positively lonely dropping out of a game on ps3 and being cut off from everything.

Xenomorph

Banned
The only thing I think PSN users need are:

Cross game chat
Music player on ALL games
PS2 backwards compatibility (or ps2 games on PSN)

Other than that, I can't see why you'd pay for XBL. Plus, like mentioned above, PSN users get access to all content not just "gold" services. The web browser is pretty nifty too.

F#A#Oo said:
It's funny it's people who complain and bitch like me who eventually get companies to change and improve stuff whilst people who like to suck the companies dick and brown nose reap the rewards of the moaners and complainers...:D
Of course, they have to listen to a bunch of bitching and moaning, so it's not like there's no downside.

Xenomorph said:
The only thing I think PSN users need are:

Cross game chat
PS2 backwards compatibility (or ps2 games on PSN)

Other than that, I can't see why you'd pay for XBL. Plus, like mentioned above, PSN users get access to all content not just "gold" services. The web browser is pretty nifty too.

I understand the value the first two items would have to people and that Sony should catch up, but what does ps2 b/c have to do with a comparison between xbl and psn? It's not like the 360 offers it, or ever will.

But to be honest, even if xbl were missing those critical features you mentioned, MS would still charge the same for their service.

lupinko

Xenomorph said:

It has this already, it's just that it has to be patched in for older games and for games now it's up to the developer really. =/

Also something about a Microsoft patent about in game console custom music.

offshore

PSN simply needs a more cohesive experience.

It would be better if the Store and Home were somehow integrated into XMB rather than as a standalone applications.

Zen

Banned
F#A#Oo said:

Considering the performance of Home, you're wrong about that.

Top Bottom