• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SCEE exec teases "an amazing big title coming to Vita" [Not an indie title]

Copenap

We (Strategic Content, i.e. my group) work with third parties. We have agreements with those third parties. The games that those third parties make are *their* games, not ours. So we have no right to mention the titles, or the release plans. If we do, we could damage any launch preparation and thus finances and thus jobs. So I can't really give more of an insight than I've given.
Hey no problem, just put the title in an email tag and it's gonna be that sweet little secret between you and neogaf ;)

shahid

OK, for NeoGAF, here is a clue. It's *not* a developer. It's a publisher. That's all you're getting. Just remember, my tweet wasn't a corporate tweet, so probably not wise to read *too* much into it. Just imagine someone like you who is on the inside and who *want* to tell people what it is, but *won't* because it would be too damaging. However, I can tell you that I'm excited about it, but hey, look at my stream, I get excited a lot!

Look at the love I gave Thomas Was Alone for example (and still do). I had tears in my eyes the day that came out.

Hey Shahid, is there any chance of any games involving mining and crafting appearing on the Vita in the near future, excluding Terraria that is?

Edit: Also Thomas Was Alone was awesome, I played through it with my girlfriend and she loved it too. One of the best games on Plus so far, even though it was short.

Oh and another thing. I know when I used to read threads by people on the "inside" at various places I'd think "why is nobody responding? At least say *something*" right?

Well, I won't be able to respond to everything, but I will try to read everything. Also, at Sony, let me tell you something that surprises even me - even at the highest level people are reading here and there on forums. We have passionate discussions about the issues you raise internally. It's not wasted effort.
One can imagine their reaction to all those .gifs of Cerny and Kaz, haha.
Welcome to gaf :)

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
OK, for NeoGAF, here is a clue. It's *not* a developer. It's a publisher. That's all you're getting. Just remember, my tweet wasn't a corporate tweet, so probably not wise to read *too* much into it. Just imagine someone like you who is on the inside and who *want* to tell people what it is, but *won't* because it would be too damaging. However, I can tell you that I'm excited about it, but hey, look at my stream, I get excited a lot!

Look at the love I gave Thomas Was Alone for example (and still do). I had tears in my eyes the day that came out.

Is it a Japanese or Western based publisher? :p

AmanoBuff

[/B]

Speak for yourself. I dont understand this line of thinking when it comes to sony portables, yet when the DS/3DS gets console quality games, its never criticized that it should stay console only. Seriously if you want bite sized handheld games, stick to phones/tablets.

^^This^^

shahid

By the way, to everyone involved in expediting my access to NeoGAF and all those offering me such a warm welcome, thank you very much. It's sincerely appreciated. <3

ReaperXL7

Ok thats cool, you cannot tell us about the big uber amazing titles, but you can tell us about indie games right?

For instance can you tell us if you have spoken to Notch (minecraft), the Starbound guys, or discussed maybe getting Legend of Grimlock onto the.Vita?

People want major third parties so the platform becomes healthy so I can understand that, but I love the indie push, and im curious who you guys have been talking to on that side of the fence.

I mean you.got Jeff Minter of all people to make a Vita game, thats pretty crazy.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
By the way, to everyone involved in expediting my access to NeoGAF and all those offering me such a warm welcome, thank you very much. It's sincerely appreciated. <3

I hope you guys are able to bring Japanese d&#333;jin games to PSN though. I kinda want to play Recettear on a console. :)

Was this necessary? One silver lining: when he's on his "permanent vacation" enjoying a fat ass severance package and planning his next move, he'll know you'll still be here bitterly posting away at night and flipping burgers by day.

Disagree. I doubt he'll last that long here, he'll be bitterly posting over at GameFAQs or somewhere else.

Oh and another thing. I know when I used to read threads by people on the "inside" at various places I'd think "why is nobody responding? At least say *something*" right?

Well, I won't be able to respond to everything, but I will try to read everything. Also, at Sony, let me tell you something that surprises even me - even at the highest level people are reading here and there on forums. We have passionate discussions about the issues you raise internally. It's not wasted effort.

You mean there's a chance Sony will one day unify the PSN and cert process so that games aren't delayed for months in one region (or cancelled altogether, like CS:GO)? Sorry but after 6 years of that rubbish, I'm not getting my hopes up.

But regardless, welcome Shahid. While I have plenty of criticisms to throw at other departments within Sony, you and your co-workers have been doing a fantastic job.

Empty

hey shahid, i just want to thank you for the work you've been doing so far with the indie games. i didn't buy a vita expecting it to be an indie device, but it's a pleasant surprise and it's a real joy to play such a diverse range of interesting games on the system.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Welcome shahid! Keep on the good work and tease us more!

THEY ARE WATCHING US

1984-Big-Brother.jpg

Are you able to say whether the game is an entirely new IP or a new entry in an existing franchise? Don't want to get you in trouble or anything just figured I'd ask.

Also, do the people in some of the gifs every see them? lol

Duffyside

Banned
Welcome, Shahid.

So, the "big, amazing title" that is the reason for this thread -- can you say when we'll learn of it? Maybe in the next, oh, month or so?

THE:MILKMAN

What current (non-Euro?) publishers haven't released a Vita game? I would think if the excitement is about the publisher, it must be a (big) publisher that hasn't yet released a game on Vita?

shahid

> Ok thats cool, you cannot tell us about the big uber amazing titles, but you can tell us about indie games right?

No, they are by third parties too. We respect all of our partners. If they say it's OK, then we say something, if not, all I can do is tell you I'm excited. There's a *lot* of stuff coming that I haven't even hinted at yet, but remember, some games take quite some time to make! :)

QP3

Thank you for taking this (your own) time to talk, and welcome!

How flexible will you be able to be in terms of talking time frames? I understand you cannot disclose many details, but would you be able to say roughly when to expect announcements of teased games?

Edit: Also, see the "quote" underneath our usernames? Very useful :) Click the "+" to be able to stack them all in one post.

Djin1979

Welcome Shahid, it's great having you here.

By the way, can you tell us what happened with Alien Spidy ? The game was announced for the VITA and it ends up being a ps3 title, it sounds like Kalypso media only used the exposure of the VITA at that time for publicity.

StuBurns

Banned
I'm always doubtful of the 'big games', because they're typically a bad fit for the form factor. I'd hope Sony are gunning harder for things like Miegakure.

Mojang is technically a publisher. I'm hoping that's who it is.

Yes! More supporters on the Minecraft train! I'm teling you guys, this is the one game that has huge potential on VITA. Minecraft is a movement on PC, it's an overlooked and huge seller on Xbox, and it can definitely do that to VITA

[/B]

Speak for yourself. I dont understand this line of thinking when it comes to sony portables, yet when the DS/3DS gets console quality games, its never criticized that it should stay console only. Seriously if you want bite sized handheld games, stick to phones/tablets.

There is a huge difference. Titles like UC, Resistance, LBP, etc. aren't big enough or refreshing enough as OoT was. Nintendo's console ports were old enough or big enough, the sales speak for themselves.

If something like Jak came to the VITA, people wouldn't complain.

But to get MORE Uncharted, LBP, and Resistance when we've already experienced this in the same gen, and when these titles don't sell nearly enough as megablockbusters, it's a little clear to see why people have such a gripe with Sony portables.

FF, GTA, Gran Turismo, these are huge third party AAA titles that people want on VITA, and that can sell VITA's. But I really think Uncharted on VITA just wasn't a big enough sell to anyone who didn't already play Uncharted on PS3.

I just really think Sony should have launched the VITA differently. A proper Jak game, and spin offs instead of direct games, IMO, would have been much better.

I was really hoping Sony would use the VITA to make spinoffs of their IPs. Where is a fun and quirky comic-style R&C Sidescroller? Where is an XCOM styled spinoff of Resistance? Those, IMO, would have been much better, and better suited for VITA.

Nintendo's "console quality" IPs like OoT and Luigi's Mansion 2 are refreshing enough, or at least have a legacy that Sony's IPs don't.

DBT85

Welcome to the nuthouse Shahid, glad you finally got your account activated.

I pity you for all the questions you will be asked that you want to answer but can't.

I envy you for knowing the answers.

Afrit

Welcome to gaf,

Mr. shahid, I'm curious to know you more now. Could you tell us what type of games do you enjoy most?

Yes! More supporters on the Minecraft train! I'm teling you guys, this is the one game that has huge potential on VITA. Minecraft is a movement on PC, it's an overlooked and huge seller on Xbox, and it can definitely do that to VITA

There is a huge difference. Titles like UC, Resistance, LBP, etc. aren't big enough or refreshing enough as OoT was. Nintendo's console ports were old enough or big enough, the sales speak for themselves.

If something like Jak came to the VITA, people wouldn't complain.

But to get MORE Uncharted, LBP, and Resistance when we've already experienced this in the same gen, and when these titles don't sell nearly enough as megablockbusters, it's a little clear to see why people have such a gripe with Sony portables.

FF, GTA, Gran Turismo, these are huge third party AAA titles that people want on VITA, and that can sell VITA's. But I really think Uncharted on VITA just wasn't a big enough sell to anyone who didn't already play Uncharted on PS3.

I just really think Sony should have launched the VITA differently. A proper Jak game, and spin offs instead of direct games, IMO, would have been much better.

I was really hoping Sony would use the VITA to make spinoffs of their IPs. Where is a fun and quirky comic-style R&C Sidescroller? Where is an XCOM styled spinoff of Resistance? Those, IMO, would have been much better, and better suited for VITA.

Nintendo's "console quality" IPs like OoT and Luigi's Mansion 2 are refreshing enough, or at least have a legacy that Sony's IPs don't.

I have no idea what you are talking about. Refreshing? I do agree that Sony did not send out their A team for Vita on UC, Resistance and LBP , but what is big enough or refreshing exactly?

Shikoro

By the way, can you tell us what happened with Alien Spidy ? The game was announced for the VITA and it ends up being a ps3 title, it sounds like Kalypso media only used the exposure of the VITA at that time for publicity.
You answered your own question.

I pity you for all the questions you will be asked that you want to answer but can't.

Basically what I wanted to say...

I'm glad to know that they are actually reading this and are watching the gifs. We should ramp up the production in the coming weeks. :D

shahid

Salam shahid bhai

wa `alaykum salaam!

Ok thats cool, you cannot tell us about the big uber amazing titles, but you can tell us about indie games right?

For instance can you tell us if you have spoken to Notch (minecraft), the Starbound guys, or discussed maybe getting Legend of Grimlock onto the.Vita?

People want major third parties so the platform becomes healthy so I can understand that, but I love the indie push, and im curious who you guys have been talking to on that side of the fence.

I mean you.got Jeff Minter of all people to make a Vita game, thats pretty crazy.

We respect all partner confidentiality, big or small. I can say we have had discussions with a lot of people, but again, we don't disclose particulars unless both parties are happy about it.

Jeff is awesome. I've loved his work for three decades.

hey shahid, i just want to thank you for the work you've been doing so far with the indie games. i didn't buy a vita expecting it to be an indie device, but it's a pleasant surprise and it's a real joy to play such a diverse range of interesting games on the system.

You're welcome! :)

Welcome Shahid. Keep up the damn fine work!

Thanks so much!

Welcome fellow GAFfer!

Thanks!

1. Welcome to GAF!

2. I don't get the clue.

3. Enjoy your stay!

Thanks!

Thank you for taking this (your own) time to talk, and welcome!

How flexible will you be able to be in terms of talking time frames? I understand you cannot disclose many details, but would you be able to say roughly when to expect announcements of teased games?

Edit: Also, see the "quote" underneath our usernames? Very useful :) Click the "+" to be able to stack them all in one post.

Thanks for the welcome and for the hint.

Thanks for the welcome!

Big game is probably Ubisoft.

Dangit, Shahid! Now you can tease me on both Twitter and GAF!

:)

What's the emoticon for a wry smile? :)

Shahid, I think you do a great job with keeping in touch with us, the consumers. I wish there were more like you working for Sony, it's hard being left in the dark, especially as a Vita owner.

I truly think the system is top notch and only hope that more and more is done for this amazing system.

Truly hope the game you're excited about is something we will be excited about as well.

Keep up the good work.

GYNGA

I'm no Shahid but I can tell you. You are totally right, they slapped all the platforms next to "coming soon" and expected to get publisher attention this way. They never intended to bring the game to PS VITA, unless particular publisher would have required to.

GothPunk

Welcome Shahid! It's been very interesting to read your tweets and now your posts here on Gaf.

I'm really looking forward to E3 to hear more about what is coming to the Vita. I think you guys have done really well in listening to what people want added/fixed in the firmware updates, so it's nice to think that you're listening to what we want from a content perspective also, i.e. MOAR MOAR!

In the mean time, see if you can convince someone to put Jeanne D'Arc and Crisis Core on the Vita PSN store. ;)

Top Bottom