• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SCEE exec teases "an amazing big title coming to Vita" [Not an indie title]

jgmo870

Banned
There is a huge difference. Titles like UC, Resistance, LBP, etc. aren't big enough or refreshing enough as OoT was. Nintendo's console ports were old enough or big enough, the sales speak for themselves.

What's refreshing about a port of a game whose formula has been based on countless sequels? The sales speak to brand name and the lack of big titles on the 3DS when it released.

But to get MORE Uncharted, LBP, and Resistance when we've already experienced this in the same gen, and when these titles don't sell nearly enough as megablockbusters, it's a little clear to see why people have such a gripe with Sony portables.

FF, GTA, Gran Turismo, these are huge third party AAA titles that people want on VITA, and that can sell VITA's. But I really think Uncharted on VITA just wasn't a big enough sell to anyone who didn't already play Uncharted on PS3.

These two things don't go together. Also, handheld Zeldas don't sell as well as most of the console iterations either.

I was really hoping Sony would use the VITA to make spinoffs of their IPs. Where is a fun and quirky comic-style R&C Sidescroller? Where is an XCOM styled spinoff of Resistance? Those, IMO, would have been much better, and better suited for VITA.

Because that made Killzone Liberation sell as well as its console counterparts?

Nintendo's "console quality" IPs like OoT and Luigi's Mansion 2 are refreshing enough, or at least have a legacy that Sony's IPs don't.

Eye of the beholder, I guess.

Welcome to the GAF!
Do you know anything about when Ratchet&Clank: Q-Force is coming to the Vita?
IIRC I saw it a few days ago on the Vita store. On the front page were some games are featured, I didn't realise it and entered the store and when I got back to the featurepage it was gone.
Maybe that was just a dream... but I'm actually pretty sure I saw it there

Aurizen

OK, for NeoGAF, here is a clue. It's *not* a developer. It's a publisher. That's all you're getting. Just remember, my tweet wasn't a corporate tweet, so probably not wise to read *too* much into it. Just imagine someone like you who is on the inside and who *want* to tell people what it is, but *won't* because it would be too damaging. However, I can tell you that I'm excited about it, but hey, look at my stream, I get excited a lot!

Look at the love I gave Thomas Was Alone for example (and still do). I had tears in my eyes the day that came out.

I think its capcom..... Maybe Square Enix is the publisher well known?

OK, for NeoGAF, here is a clue. It's *not* a developer. It's a publisher. That's all you're getting. Just remember, my tweet wasn't a corporate tweet, so probably not wise to read *too* much into it. Just imagine someone like you who is on the inside and who *want* to tell people what it is, but *won't* because it would be too damaging. However, I can tell you that I'm excited about it, but hey, look at my stream, I get excited a lot!

Look at the love I gave Thomas Was Alone for example (and still do). I had tears in my eyes the day that came out.

Welcome Shahid, I am glad you are pumped it is good to see a vocal voice in the Sony world keeping life blood in the Vita.

Hah also see if you can put some pressure on Kojima to get that new Fox engine onto the Vita in some way!

Afrit

But has Kaz ever seen the gifs he's in? :)

I remember that Mr. Yoshida said in an interview that he sent a link for those gifs to him once, but Kaz probably too busy to check it out or even to reply, but knowing Kaz well he probably laughed out loud.

Edit: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-02-21-the-big-interview-sonys-shuhei-yoshida-on-ps4

Welcome to the GAF!
Do you know anything about when Ratchet&Clank: Q-Force is coming to the Vita?
IIRC I saw it a few days ago on the Vita store. On the front page were some games are featured, I didn't realise it and entered the store and when I got back to the featurepage it was gone.
Maybe that was just a dream... but I'm actually pretty sure I saw it there

I saw it too.

Rand6

Thanks for the kind welcomes.

Allow me to explain something.

We (Strategic Content, i.e. my group) work with third parties. We have agreements with those third parties. The games that those third parties make are *their* games, not ours. So we have no right to mention the titles, or the release plans. If we do, we could damage any launch preparation and thus finances and thus jobs. So I can't really give more of an insight than I've given.

OK, so am I tease? Possibly. That's not why I tweet. So some more things I need to tell you:
1) I don't get paid to tweet. In fact, my twitter account is my personal account
2) For those who have been following me for a while, you know what I'm like. I'm a passionate guy. I love the people I work with, internal and our third party partners. Awesome people. If I tweet, it's not a corporate statement. It's one guy, me, who LOVES games and wants to talk about that with people in the wider world I care about.
3) I can't bring you every game you want, much as I'd love to, but we are working on bring a lot of games to PS Vita and some on PS3 too.

That particular tweet was me excited about one particular third party title. :) There are of course many third party titles. The next few months will see many of those, quite a few of which are not announced yet.

Is this OK so far?

Welcome Shahid! You and your team are doing a great job.
Now we need games like Saint Row, GTA, God of War or Borderland on Vita :p

I don't really post too often, even though I'm on gaf every day, but this the the first post in this thread that I agree with. You may very well be right, Valve has some big announcement(s) around E3, everyone assumes it's going to be something about steambox. It could very well be Vita support, not saying it won't have anything to do with steambox.

Welcome shahid, really looking foward to the PS4, like what I have heard so far about it, all Sony has to do now is price it well and keep online gaming free. The latter being the most important, as if they were to follow Microsoft's lead and put it behind a paywall, it would mean my last console from Sony will be PS3. I don't believe in paying to use an internet connection I already pay for. It's the number 1 reason I never got a 360, even though many of my friends own one.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Hey shahid, what kind of expectations should we have? Impossible expectations (Chrono game, Xenogears 2, Parasite Eve 4) or realistic expectations (CoD, Assassin's Creed)... Or somewhere in between? :p

Twinduct

It could, considering how "popular" KZ is on PS3! Lol!

Sonybots were always much worse at buying exclusives than Xbots imo.

Pretty much. Hell other than GT I don't think any Sony exclusive IP sells as much as Xbox ones.

Granted I have zero research to back this, just what I've taken away from the many sales threads I guess.

Oh and Welcome Sahid! Avoid the Sales threads =)

ReaperXL7

We respect all partner confidentiality, big or small. I can say we have had discussions with a lot of people, but again, we don't disclose particulars unless both parties are happy about it.

Jeff is awesome. I've loved his work for three decades.

I can absolutely respect that so ill try to not pester you too much about whats coming, its just hard to give you possible indies to look at when we have no idea who your in contact with already. :)

I love me some great indie games, I think allot of people are just worried that the Vita might meet a less then ideal fate, but as long as your great teams continue to bring all this great stuff im pretty happy honestly. Can you atleast tell is that the Vita wont be ignored at E3?

As for Jeff I agree, Im still blown away that you guys snagged a new tempest, really makes it interesting, and exciting to see who else you may be hiding.

Duffyside

Banned
Pretty much. Hell other than GT I don't think any Sony exclusive IP sells as much as Xbox ones.

Granted I have zero research to back this, just what I've taken away from the many sales threads I guess.

Well, nothing other than GT sells as well as Halo, but I'd say MS's second-best IP has been Gears, and GoW and Uncharted both about equal that.

It's surprisingly even. The big difference comes in that Halo is an annualized franchise now, and we see GT once every five years. I don't know if GT could sell 10 million every single year if it were an every year thing.

Mario007

GT, Uncharted and GoW sell compratively to MS's biggest franchises (Halo, Forza and Gears). Sony doesn't have any other game after that though. The other ones are in the 2 million territory.

Welcome Shahid!!!! Now please try to bring Type-0 on the Vita!!!

GYNGA

I didn''t get the clue either :|

I agree that the definition of "amazing" might differ quite a lot from poeple to people. But big is big, either by its file size or by popularity I guess. And when you pair big with amazing you get something that is system seller.

I hope I'm right.

Mario007

I agree that the definition of "amazing" might differ quite a lot from poeple to people. But big is big, either by its file size or by popularity I guess. And when you pair big with amazing you get something that is system seller.

I hope I'm right.
Well we know its not Gran Turismo at least thanks to that clue.

Shahid, we absolutely need PSP HD up ports with trophies. Valkyria Chronicles, Crisis Core, Final Fantasy IV Complete, ... basically, make it rain jRPGs.

ReaperXL7

GT, Uncharted and GoW sell compratively to MS's biggest franchises (Halo, Forza and Gears). Sony doesn't have any other game after that though. The other ones are in the 2 million territory.

Welcome Shahid!!!! Now please try to bring Type-0 on the Vita!!!

As long as those games are profitable for Sony does it matter? I dont think Sony would.continue.making.Killzone if jt was not successful for.them, and LBP has additionak income with all of the dlc that many willingly buy.

Allot of people seem to bag on Home a failure, but it apprently makes Sony quite a good chunk of change.

I mean no offence to MS fans, but I think the PS consumer base is just more diverse, and you see that through a larger selection of games selling a few million copies, then One, or two titles completely dominating everything else.

Duffyside

Banned
Shahid, do you know if the Vita will have much of an E3 presence this year? Last year seemed like a big mistake to ignore the device completely. I hope that if you guys decide that it would be better to avoid the shadow of the next-gen consoles, you have some even planned shortly beforehand?

urge26

Shahid I love my Vita, but the teases are brutal. Please confirm we'll have actual Vita news at E3 aside from COD and Creed titles!

Mileena

Banned
It could, considering how "popular" KZ is on PS3! Lol!

Sonybots were always much worse at buying exclusives than Xbots imo.

Really can't blame them when CoD is available and much, much better than Killzone, MAG, SOCOM 4, Resistance or any of the other low quality shootan titles Sony thinks are worth funding. Looking at XBL charts, CoD still dominates MS' exclusive shooting games too but by a lesser margin.

GYNGA

As long as those games are profitable for Sony does it matter? I dont think Sony would.continue.making.Killzone if jt was not successful for.them, and LBP has additionak income with all of the dlc that many willingly buy.
It is either profitable or they have faith in the franchise. Now that Sony have left Resistance in the past, Killzone is their only big first-party FPS at the moment if I'm not mistaken.

Seems to mean multiple games from the same publisher. Probably Ubisoft, but we'll see.

And Shahid, whatever my thoughts about Vita's overall future, I'm glad you're posting here. The industry could use more people with your enthusiasm, sincerity, and willingness to engage directly with gamers.

Steam on Vita would be great, but I don't see that happening yet. What kind of functionality would it have? Let you play some games or just chat and buy stuff?

Binabik15

Vita needs a Metal Gear Ac!d game. Metal Gear Ac!!!d, if you want.

PSP had MGA, PSP sold better than Vita. Ergo, give me another MGA game, dammit.

LMN

Welcome to Gaf, Shahid =), and I have been enjoying my PS Vita so far, thank you for your hard work & effort =)

EMT0

Banned
Feel free to voice your opinions, we love to listen.

Well, by your permission, I'd love to see an attempt to fill in some of the missing PSP and PS1 back catalog. Games such as Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep, Crisis Core, the Spyro/Crash games, etc. As it is, there's a gaping hole that includes some of the best PS1 and PSP games to have ever been released.

EDIT: PS: You're like....a third of the reason I bought my Vita, your work that is.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Hello Shahid, sorry for bothering you, there's a little bit of hope for some of my dreams: :(
-Fallout(or other open world rpgs, but preferably fallout! lol)
-open world games(other than gravity rush 2 :D , because there will be gravity rush 2 right? :( )
-xcom game
-more "mouse oriented" games(rts, managerial, strategy games etc)
-yugioh tag force games(seriously where is my yugioh vita game? :( )
-psp and psvita japanese only games localizations

Can i suggest you something? :)

-Since ubisoft seems to like vita why don't you suggest them to make some easy money porting heroes of might & magic 3(the undiscussed best title of the series) on vita? No need to remake the graphics(800x600 vs 960x544) and this would open the gates to might & magic games to vita, the same could be made for other pc series.
Obviously new game first though.

-If you can please tell to developers that we prefer native res games(even better if 60 fps) with slightly simpler graphics than not native res more complex graphics :)

Thanks and sorry again!

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
Wow Shahid is finally an official Gaffer. Vita gaf welcomes you with open arms! Always good to have someone actually enthusiastic about the system into the fold.

Also, I would like to mention that a lot of people here are setting themselves up for disappointment. It happens every single time lol.

jgmo870

Banned
So Killzone Vita is gonna sell as good as the PS3 ones now? Good luck with that.

Never said that - most handheld versions of series end up selling worse than the console entries regardless of how similar/different they are. But if the Vita had the same install base the PSP did when Liberation released, I think Mercenary would sell closer to the console versions.

Welcome Shahid! So could you tell someone at SCEE to bring the Colony Wars games to PSN and Vita, please? And while I'm at it, convince Sony to make a new Colony Wars for PS4/Vita, thanks! ;)

Little bit more on topic, I buy tons of Indies on Steam and almost play none, but I played and finished every single Indie game I bought for the Vita, thanks for your work!

Well, by your permission, I'd love to see an attempt to fill in some of the missing PSP and PS1 back catalog. Games such as Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep, Crisis Core, the Spyro/Crash games, etc. As it is, there's a gaping hole that includes some of the best PS1 and PSP games to have ever been released.

EDIT: PS: You're like....a third of the reason I bought my Vita, your work that is.

Not to mention some of the PS1/PSP games that still don't work on the Vita.

Top Bottom