• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SCEE exec teases "an amazing big title coming to Vita" [Not an indie title]

DigitalOp

Banned
I understand that I am about to experience a baptism of fire.

Allow me to introduce myself. I'm Shahid Kamal Ahmad. I work for Sony Computer Entertainment Europe as a Senior Business Development Manager running a group called Strategic Content. I've not been sent here officially and besides, it's a Sunday.

I'm afraid I will not have as much time to devote to NeoGAF as I'd love to, but will do my best to engage with respect and courtesy on as much as I can. I will not be able to respond to everything, or indeed most things.

Oh, and I'm not worried about being abused in any way, if you want to vent, it's OK, I'm a good listener. I care about our customers, because I'm a customer too. Me, my team, my management are working very hard to bring great games to PS Vita, and we are also doing our best to make a tiny little dent in our tiny corner of the universe.

I'd like to take this opportunity to thank many of you in this one message most sincerely for the many kind words you've said about me and about Sony Computer Entertainment. It's what keeps us going at night and on weekends. Many of us deeply, passionately care and that's not some corporate bullshit, that's me on my own time on a Sunday being real with you.

Love and respect,

Shahid

Welcome to NeoGaf! Glad you're finally a part of the community. Thanks for your work man, seriously. Its always really cool to see someone involved with the community directly. Thanks for listening. Enjoy your stay!

De-mon

I thought that was GG's rumored new IP?

This picture is from one The Last of Us documental. The artworks are like some historical game (also, could be an Uncharted 4 flashback).

20135992541_1.jpg

Welcome to the nuthouse, sir!

Just want to let you know the indie/DL space is my most followed sector of gaming these last few years. I'm a happy PS3 owner (along with 360 - love XBLA) and I'm eyeing a Vita because I'm almost definitely getting a PS4 on day one thanks to Sony's developer friendly and indie tack recently (among other reasons).

As someone who adores this hobby/medium and has grown up with it, but who also has a career and family, the shorter indie/quirky games appeal to me SO much more than online shooters or giant epic RPGs. I know there's more like me out there. I know we are just one segment of many that a platform holder has to target, but I have to think we are a significant segment. So, thanks for your efforts.

Looking forward to this announcement, to E3, to the console wars this fall - and to your posts on GAF!

Yep

And kudos to GG for putting time and resources into a vita game.

Killzone Mercenary is looking fantastic, moreso than even Killzone SF (at least the weapons/core concept). Sounds perfect for a handheld shooter.

Unfortunate that it's coming alongside GTA. I wonder if Sony will even advertise it.

Welcome sir. Your input and participation is greatly appreciated. I'm very happy to see that the vita may not be dying the death many have feared. I love the Vita and look forward to the forthcoming announcements. If you could, will you please let Capcom know that we need a BoF and tell Konami that Suikoden is mandatory.

ReaperXL7

so could be nothing, but according to his latest tweets Shahids working on a presentation...and hes at the Airport. So maybe he will be speaking at E3? There does seem to be quite allot he could talk about.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
When is that Gran Turismo event again? I wonder if this will be GT5 Portable or something.

B.O.O.M

OK, for NeoGAF, here is a clue. It's *not* a developer. It's a publisher. That's all you're getting. Just remember, my tweet wasn't a corporate tweet, so probably not wise to read *too* much into it. Just imagine someone like you who is on the inside and who *want* to tell people what it is, but *won't* because it would be too damaging. However, I can tell you that I'm excited about it, but hey, look at my stream, I get excited a lot!

Look at the love I gave Thomas Was Alone for example (and still do). I had tears in my eyes the day that came out.

Nice. Welcome Shahid, love the work you put in, especially for the vita. Mad props to you and your team

Btw could you possibly tell us whether the game you were excited about a multiplat or not?

Oh and I HOPE since the indie scene on the vita is growing so fast, upcoming major indie titles including sequels to currently popular ones will appear on the system day and date of the console releases. Or at least really close to them

B.O.O.M

Google game announcement is next week, hmmm.

So I'm not exactly sure if it's possible to have on vita..but few gaf users have been saying about something that will open up a lot of opportunities to develop on vita or something along those lines recently.

so could be nothing, but according to his latest tweets Shahids working on a presentation...and hes at the Airport. So maybe he will be speaking at E3? There does seem to be quite allot he could talk about.

How on earth did you come to the conclusion that presentation == conference? Sony is a large company and he's in third party relations (or close enough), there's a 99.999% chance it's a behind closed door meeting.

Thats true aswell, Going to be a fun couple of weeks with all of the stuff coming up. I do wonder how a google partnership could effect the vita, it would easily open the doors for allot of indies thats for sure.

What's that google thing ? I think i haven't seen it mentioned before?

ReaperXL7

How on earth did you come to the conclusion that presentation == conference? Sony is a large company and he's in third party relations (or close enough), there's a 99.999% chance it's a behind closed door meeting.

As I clearly stated it could be nothing, it was simply a guess on my part since the indie push seems so important to Sony it does not seem out of the realm of possibility that Sony could have one of the more prominant figures of that plan speak at E3. Shahid has gotten allot of attention lately for his efforts , ign even posted an article about Sonys indie push and hes the name thats brought up most frequently. It could also be for the google thing or something that we will never know about ourselves.

it was just speculation.

Putty

Allow me to introduce myself. I'm Shahid Kamal Ahmad. I work for Sony Computer Entertainment Europe as a Senior Business Development Manager running a group called Strategic Content. I've not been sent here officially and besides, it's a Sunday.

I'm afraid I will not have as much time to devote to NeoGAF as I'd love to, but will do my best to engage with respect and courtesy on as much as I can. I will not be able to respond to everything, or indeed most things.

Oh, and I'm not worried about being abused in any way, if you want to vent, it's OK, I'm a good listener. I care about our customers, because I'm a customer too. Me, my team, my management are working very hard to bring great games to PS Vita, and we are also doing our best to make a tiny little dent in our tiny corner of the universe.

I'd like to take this opportunity to thank many of you in this one message most sincerely for the many kind words you've said about me and about Sony Computer Entertainment. It's what keeps us going at night and on weekends. Many of us deeply, passionately care and that's not some corporate bullshit, that's me on my own time on a Sunday being real with you.

Love and respect,

Shahid

You made it dude, welcome welcome.

Asalam-o-Alaikum and Welcome to GAF, Shahid :D

You have the same first name as my uncle, lol.

I love you efforts with what you are bringing us to VITA. I really appreciate them. Ever since i brought a VITA, my PS3/360 is getting less of my love. I greatly enjoy VITA and with PS+, it is literally gaming heaven for me :D

The thing that i would love on VITA is more JRPGs. We don't mind simple localizations for these games. Just bring them over here in English. Dubs are not necessary for me or majority of the people. So just bring us the good localized stuff from Japan and we will be happy. Thanks again for all your hard work.

shahid

I won't be speaking at E3 (though I did recently speak at GDC, but that was about Beyond the Final Boss)

I work in Business Development. I used to work in Third Party Relations. And yes, close enough. :) And yes, it's a closed door meeting, it's of strategic importance and it's first thing tomorrow. What that means is I'm going to have to get back to work now.

Thanks again everyone for such a warm welcome.

There are a lot of people going to be disappointed soon. Some people ITT seem to have very unrealistic expectations.

IDK maybe I'm just jaded but I've learnt my lesson with the gaming hype machine... I must see it to believe it. Especially with the vita and after last year's E3.

tumblr_mdk4alfMI21qltqg1.gif

As I clearly stated it could be nothing, it was simply a guess on my part since the indie push seems so important to Sony it does not seem out of the realm of possibility that Sony could have one of the more prominant figures of that plan speak at E3. Shahid has gotten allot of attention lately for his efforts , ign even posted an article about Sonys indie push and hes the name thats brought up most frequently. It could also be for the google thing or something that we will never know about ourselves.

it was just speculation.

Sorry, it just seemed like you were taking one thing he said and then taking an enormous leap to your conclusion. As he's said a few times, it's his personal twitter account, so I wouldn't take everything he says as some kind of announcement hint.

I work in Business Development. I used to work in Third Party Relations. And yes, close enough. :) And yes, it's a closed door meeting, it's of strategic importance and it's first thing tomorrow. What that means is I'm going to have to get back to work now.

Thanks again everyone for such a warm welcome.

Thanks for the clarification, keep up the good work.

shahid

Sorry, it just seemed like you were taking one thing he said and then taking an enormous leap to your conclusion. As he's said a few times, it's his personal twitter account, so I wouldn't take everything he says as some kind of announcement hint.

Thanks for the clarification, keep up the good work.

Correct, it's my personal account. That means everything is from the heart. It's not a corporate statement, even if it is about my work.

Also, whatever happens at E3, there is plenty more to come. KTF!

Correct, it's my personal account. That means everything is from the heart. It's not a corporate statement, even if it is about my work.

Thanks for the clarification. Hoping to hear great things soon. Honestly, it doesn't take much to make me happy. Just some genuine support and titles that are fun to play. Doesn't matter if it is indie or AAA.

Mario007

Yep

And kudos to GG for putting time and resources into a vita game.
To be fair GG isn't really putting time and resources into Vita, it's rather that Sony Cambridge was brought under GG and is working on the Killzone title.
They are knee deep into a PS4 project, but it would be awesome after last of us if a 15 person team made a vita game.
I'd love if ND pulled a Tearaway, showing off a nice game that only 14 people are working on but sadly i can't see that happening. ND, though super talented, seem to think they are above pretty much anything that isn't a pure AAA console game. They've been pretty stubborn with Move and with the Vita. Same goes for SSM. It's nice that Sony has such these two extremely talented studios but it's really sad they can't get these guys to work a little for the company.

Vita to skip E3 confirmed!

yurinka

Love and respect,

Shahid
Welcome, and thanks for your work bringing a lot of awesome indie stuff to PS3 and specially Vita, both released and confirmed as coming.

Early stuff like Everyday Shooter, Stardust, Critter Crunch HD, Flower and several Minis I loved to play on PSP teached me that there is a lot of quality smaller and indie games, and that they have potential to shine in consoles like later titles like Journey, Sound Shapes, Unfinished Swan, Guacamelee, Super Crate Box, Thomas was alone and many others confirmed.

I follow your Twitter and there is a lot of awesome stuff there. Congratulations for your work, man. I saw you contacting some tiny indie studios that did some gems like Orange Pixel, who did a great job in old Java phone gaming era. As someone who also worked in Java phone gaming makes me proud of it and it's something that I'd never imagined from a giant like Sony.

For Vita I'd ask you to bring GT, GTA San Andreas Stories or GTA5, Final Fantasy Type 0, Monster Hunter 4, the next big Call of Duty Vita being multiplat -the same than in consoles- that would feature cross-play and cross-save instead of being a crappy one, Resident Evil and similar to bump its sales even if I know it would be really hard to convince them.

But since I also love indies I'd love to see these other small games on Vita (other stuff coming from them is also welcome obviously) so I suggest you to check them :

-Gods will be watching (Deconstructeam)
-Heroes of Loot (Orange Pixel)
-Ridiculous Fishing (Vlambeer)
-rRootage, Torus Trooper, Noiz2sa (Kenta Cho / Aba Games)
-Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery EP, Super Time Force, Critter Crunch HD (Capybara)
-Fruit Ninja (Halfbrik)
-And also some games from Locomalito, who is a 1 man army and does the things for free on its free time http://www.locomalito.com/
-Super Meat Boy (Team Meat)
-Fez and Minecraft (but I'm pretty sure you're already working on it)

Regarding to your relationship with 3rd parties and specially small studios I also would like to congratulate you for recent moves like to remove the $99 payment for PSM and to put the new 'indie' section in the PSN store. But I beg you a couple of things for both PS3, PS4 and Vita : to unify worldwide the PSN stores and specially to unify the game submission process like it's done in iOS, Facebook, Steam or Xbox.

I also would ask you to remove or reduce the costs of game updates, which is a major constrain for certain types of games, like F2P / social games / phone games. I work developing tihs type of games and we make weekly or biweekly updates with new content, features, tweaks, rebalance and fixes.

I'm not sure that's GG's game...maybe a different studio.....

If you are talking about Mercenary, that is actually the Cambridge team but they were folded into GG awhile ago. Also they are using a lot of the assets and tools GG developed.

if you are referring to 1866.....that would be interesting. And also make sense, I thought their second team at GG was making a Fantasy WRPG game.

Dusky

If you are talking about Mercenary, that is actually the Cambridge team but they were folded into GG awhile ago. Also they are using a lot of the assets and tools GG developed.

if you are referring to 1866.....that would be interesting. And also make sense, I thought their second team at GG was making a Fantasy WRPG game.

He was referring to 1886.

I'm going with RaD.

Sid

But it is a third party game.
lol was referring to The Order:1886.

Well, if we go by their job hirings they were after folks with vehicle combat experience. Doesn't really sound like something needed for a game set in 1886?

I believe he was also referring to The Order: 1886.
I think that the vehicle experience may have been required for Starhawk and this will be an open world game.

yurinka

Regarding the amazing big title coming to Vita, I'd say it's a deal with Mojang AB to release both Minecraft and maybe also their other games. I see Notch in Sony E3 conference announcing that they will release their stuff on Vita and PS4.

Guys, remember that it's a 3rd party game for Vita, coming from someone who is also a publisher. So can't be a new game by a studio from Sony.

GYNGA

Regarding the amazing big title coming to Vita, I'd say it's a deal with Mojang AB to release both Minecraft and maybe also their other games.

I see Notch in Sony E3 conference announcing that they will release their stuff on Vita and PS4.

Guys, remember that it's a 3rd party game for Vita, coming from someone who is also a publisher.
- Minecraft is indie
- Minecraft would be a port

Vita to skip E3 confirmed!
It sounds like they might leave the most of the Vita for the Gamescom like they did last year. If so, 'press' will bury the poor little Vita after E3.

Top Bottom