• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scientology Ramps Up 'Going Clear' Smear Campaign, Targets Academy Members

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sorry, "taking"? Are you suggesting somebody literally stole her money or hacked her bank account or something? Would you say The GAP is "taking" your money when you need khakis?

Brainwashed is more like it. Social engineering. Preying on somebody's weakness to be better.

Remf

The whole point of its existence. So sorry to hear about the upset your Gran suffered.

The whole point is that it's a sham religion created by a science fiction novelist who force people to reveal their darkest secrets so they can hold it against them if they go against the church. Not to mention they siphon money from their members for ozone meters and other isueless things in the hopes they can "attain" the next level. Trust me, I learned a lot about them and how they work after the BS they did to her...

The whole point is that it's a sham religion created by a science fiction novelist who force people to reveal their darkest secrets so they can hold it against them if they go against the church. Not to mention they siphon money from their members for ozone meters and other isueless things in the hopes they can "attain" the next level. Trust me, I learned a lot about them and how they work after the BS they did to her...

Spread the word amigo. Once again sorry for the upset.

This. We can argue the merits of 'organized religion' all day on this board, but the truth is Scientology is a concentrated money-pull and control-based operation. There's nothing genuinely 'spiritual' about it. They don't promote any moral virtues. They aren't using their warchest to create 3rd world missionary operations, homeless shelters, or even basic charity contributions.

Criticize Catholics. Criticize Baptists... or Jewish... whoever, but all at least try to promote various moral values on some level or another. Scientology is a scam controlled by sociopathic bullies. I believe that strongly.

Stet

Banned
It depends what time of year you go for audits. Like many other things, it's more expensive during peak times. Go during February or November and you can get nice discounts.

This comparison to The Gap is getting deeper and deeper.

It depends what time of year you go for audits. Like many other things, it's more expensive during peak times. Go during February or November and you can get nice discounts.
You know, you don't need to throw all your money at a glorified science fiction bookclub to find closure. Society already has professionals that can help you work through your problems: psychiatrists. Why do you think your "religion" explicitly and harshly forbids psychiatry, anyway?
Here's a hint: why do you think hardcore Christians don't like science?
This comparison to The Gap is getting deeper and deeper.
This Scientologist is probably a troll but I don't mind having some fun with him either way.

If this guy was actually Scientologist, and considered people here mostly "SPs", then he should, according to 'church' policy, cut off all contact and communication with GAF.

10/10 troll though

Dogtooth

Banned
You know, you don't need to throw all your money at a glorified science fiction bookclub to find closure. Society already has professionals that can help you work through your problems: psychiatrists. Why do you think your "religion" explicitly and harshly forbids psychiatry, anyway?
Here's a hint: why do you think hardcore Christians don't like science?

This Scientologist is probably a troll but I don't mind having some fun with him either way.

OMG Psychiatrists?! You attack my beliefs because we charge a fee to help people, and then talk to me about psychiatrists? The psychiatry industry only exists to murder and steal. Just take a look at Freud. Do you have any clue how many people he *personally* killed?

LRH used to like that guy, until he figured out the truth.

This. We can argue the merits of 'organized religion' all day on this board, but the truth is Scientology is a concentrated money-pull and control-based operation. There's nothing genuinely 'spiritual' about it. They don't promote any moral virtues. They aren't using their warchest to create 3rd world missionary operations, homeless shelters, or even basic charity contributions.

Criticize Catholics. Criticize Baptists... or Jewish... whoever, but all at least try to promote various moral values on some level or another. Scientology is a scam controlled by sociopathic bullies. I believe that strongly.

Despite my inflammatory comments earlier I totally agree with this post.

The major world religions are a moral compass and do good in the world.

My thinking is take the good concepts from all of them, blend it all up and you would have an excellent foundation for human spirituality.

Trouble is... You pit human against human when my God/ tribe/ school of thought is better or more devout then yours.

And on it goes

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious

I mean there is the argument that all religions were similarly group-think organizations that created their own reality in order to benefit certain individuals...

...but on a conventional level I have to say that yes, Scientology is worse than the other organizations. Other organizations do not lie to people about their core beliefs. The institutions aren't entirely based around extracting money. They do actual charity work.

Scientology is not just a lie, it's a bald-faced lie. Hubbard cynically understood what its purpose was, as a machine to control people and enrich his life.

OMG Psychiatrists?! You attack my beliefs because we charge a fee to help people, and then talk to me about psychiatrists? The psychiatry industry only exists to murder and steal. Just take a look at Freud. Do you have any clue how many people he *personally* killed?

LRH used to like that guy, until he figured out the truth.
...sorry but the image of Freud personally killing people is hilarious. I don't think he carries any record of homicide!

Besides, Freudian psychiatry hasn't had any scientific merit for almost a century. Nowadays you just talk to a dude at a desk, they work through your problems (and not with that repressed memory bullshit, but real emotional interaction!), and if it's really bad, you get pills! And those things certainly work a lot better than those e-meters!
And I don't know how much they charge you guys for these "sessions", but Prozac and the other common treatments are only a few bucks a month, I think. The only auditing you need is the kind the IRS does!

Duderz

Banned
I really hope Dogtooth is a legit Scientologist.

Just for the inevitable lulz.

Seems unlikely, though.

So do I.

I do wonder what it feels like to know that the vast, vast majority of people aware of Scientology consider its followers to be completely and utterly brainwashed. It's got to give someone pause.

FStop7

Banned
Dogtooth's having some fun. Real Scienos don't publicly discuss things like Xenu or the Operating Thetan materials.

Ganhyun

WTF is this? Hey guys, if we join Scientology in these time periods instead of their busier times we get a discount!

Anyway, its not like Scientology actually does anything helpful to society. At least real religions do that.

BocoDragon

So do I.

I do wonder what it feels like to know that the vast, vast majority of people aware of Scientology consider its followers to be completely and utterly brainwashed. It's got to give someone pause.
Actually being a member of a "persecuted minority" tends to fuel one's sense of purpose...

Dogtooth

Banned
WTF is this? Hey guys, if we join Scientology in these time periods instead of their busier times we get a discount!

Anyway, its not like Scientology actually does anything helpful to society. At least real religions do that.

You think Christian so-called churches aren't bilking their members in March and December? When our members leave an audit, the *know* they're more confident, healthier, and able to go out and be leaders in their communities.

Actually being a member of a "persecuted minority" tends to fuel one's sense of purpose...
Persecuted. That's great. The only persecution these cultists see is what they do to each other and what they do to everyone else.
You think Christian so-called churches aren't bilking their members in March and December? When our members leave an audit, the *know* they're more confident, healthier, and able to go out and be leaders in their communities.
Christian churches don't even require donating money to participate. They pass around a collection bowl, and if you want to give money, it's fine. And the fact that you have the audacity to suggest that Scientology is a more legitimate religion than Christianity is astounding.

Remf

I'm sorry, "taking"? Are you suggesting somebody literally stole her money or hacked her bank account or something? Would you say The GAP is "taking" your money when you need khakis?

Wow.. I had a long post rebutting this, but what's the point. Troll's gotta troll, right?

But Christians are not told to pay $10,000 to learn about Jesus...

BocoDragon

Persecuted. That's great. The only persecution these cultists see is what they do to each other and what they do to everyone else.
Yup. I put the words in quotations for a reason.

You'd think "don't they see they're a weird little cult that everyone thinks is wrong?" But that only adds to their sense of being on a righteous mission. Backs against the wall, the only good guys on a planet enslaved by evil delusions ... :p

Dogtooth

Banned

Screen-Shot-2014-04-04-at-1.45.00-PM.png

Two important points I wouldn't expect an SP to understand about audits:

#1: Very few people reach the level of auditing that costs so much money. And by the time they do reach it, they're so personally successful that it's a tiny fraction of their wealth. Meanwhile Christian "churches" want 10% for your whole life.

#2: Even fewer people are experts enough in the church to perform an audit costing $10k or more. Is such a rare individual's time not worth more money? People have to wait for months to receive an audit at such a high level of skill.

#1: Very few people reach the level of auditing that costs so much money. And by the time they do reach it, they're so personally successful that it's a tiny fraction of their wealth. Meanwhile Christian "churches" want 10% for your whole life.
Want being the key word. It isn't required and this amount is giving by so few people that it isn't even relevant anymore. I don't think you're very familiar with contemporary Christianity, or any other religion for that matter. Yet we are all pretty familiar with Scientology. I wonder why? Do you think maybe if you knew more, you wouldn't be where you are now?
#2: Even fewer people are experts enough in the church to perform an audit costing $10k or more. Is such a rare individual's time not worth more money? People have to wait for months to receive an audit at such a high level of skill.
"Experts". Hahaha. Man you guys are even worse than the Mormons!

Dogtooth

Banned
Want being the key word. It isn't required and this amount is giving by so few people that it isn't even relevant anymore. I don't think you're very familiar with contemporary Christianity, or any other religion for that matter. Yet we are all pretty familiar with Scientology. I wonder why? Do you think maybe if you knew more, you wouldn't be where you are now?

Audits aren't required either. Our members *want* them because they see the positive effects in their lives. I've been to Christian churches countless times. I can recite the LORD''s Prayer, can you recite the Prayer for Total Freedom? I doubt it.

Where do you think *I* am? I'm wasting time on GAF like everyone else. I go to work. I have a family. I'm committed to spreading the wisdom of the RTC, Chairman Miscavige, and especially LRH (long may he live).

Just because you watched a movie you think you know about my life. I don't think you realize how petty that looks.

Audits aren't required either. Our members *want* them because they see the positive effects in their lives. I've been to Christian churches countless times. I can recite the LORD''s Prayer, can you recite the Prayer for Total Freedom? I doubt it.

Where do you think *I* am? I'm wasting time on GAF like everyone else. I go to work. I have a family. I'm committed to spreading the wisdom of the RTC, Chairman Miscavige, and especially LRH (long may he live).
No, here's what really happens: the Cult of Scientology brings in a bunch of people; the rich ones who have the money to advance to the higher levels rapidly, where more and more of their wealth is siphoned away. Meanwhile the poor members than can't afford advancement make it up to the level that is just enough to not bankrupt them and then get stuck there. Your entire faith is just a sorting algorithm designed to maximize payment efficiency. It's hilarious!

Dogtooth

Banned
No, here's what really happens: the Cult of Scientology brings in a bunch of people; the rich ones who have the money to advance to the higher levels rapidly, where more and more of their wealth is siphoned away. Meanwhile the poor members than can't afford advancement make it up to the level that is just enough to not bankrupt them and then get stuck there. Your entire faith is just a sorting algorithm designed to maximize payment efficiency. It's hilarious!

What's hillarious is you watched an HBO show and thing you know about life. Tell me the one about the dragon and ice zombies next.

Move along, troll.

Name one example of wrongdoing in the Church of Scientology or the RTC.

Running blatant propaganda where any and all psychological and psychiatric treatment and help is deemed "bad" despite the help that many people could use from it, harassing anyone remotely openly critical of them, encouraging members to isolate themselves and distance loved ones if they raise and concerns or questions about their membership, etc.

There's so much out there, you barely have to do any research to see it. I'm surprised more of their famous members aren't leaving.

What's hillarious is you watched an HBO show and thing you know about life. Tell me the one about the dragon and ice zombies next.

Move along, troll.
Actually, I didn't watch any documentary about it. It's just obvious to me what Scientology really is. Unlike you I don't need people to tell me how to think. And you're calling me a troll? Face it guy you're done. I hate Scientology for what it has done to people like you.

Ganhyun

So its a pay and be successful scheme? While there are churches who heavily emphasize donations in their services, most are more along the lines of give what you feel you can give. I was lucky growing up to participate in several different types of churches and none forced me to give money to them to be a member.

Christian churches don't even require donating money to participate. They pass around a collection bowl, and if you want to give money, it's fine. And the fact that you have the audacity to suggest that Scientology is a more legitimate religion than Christianity is astounding.

Astounding indeed.

Dear sir, don't you want to know how and why Jesus died for your sins? It only costs you $100 dollars to find out and become a beginning member of *insert random branch of Christianity here* (This has never been heard as far as I know.)

But it still costs money to be audited to become a higher level member. Also, just because someone goes to school to learn how to be a good preacher/father/pastor/whatever doesn't mean anything. Their job is to minister to a congregation/flock/whatever. They also put in a ton of time with things like food banks, clothing drives, and other deeds that help the poor and needy.

At least Mormons do help needy people. Scientology has more in common with pyramid schemes IMO.

way more

OMG,Scientology is writing an article about him in their monthly news letter! Get him into the witness protection program.

Somehow that doesn't seem a bad as the annual push to discredit Best Picture noms by pointing out trivial errors; Captain Philips, American Sniper, Ergo, The Wolf of Wall Street, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom