• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scientology Ramps Up 'Going Clear' Smear Campaign, Targets Academy Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dogtooth

Banned
Dogtooth, serious question without any sarcasm here. How do you propose that talk-therapy (a type of psychological treatment that many people utilize without drugs or medication) is harmful or detrimental to patients?

It's dangerous on several levels. First, these so-called doctors don't want you to get healthy. They just want to put more doubt in your mind so that you keep coming back.

Second and more sinister: they're just straight-up murderers. They prescribe drugs to confuse people and get them to do things they wouldn't do otherwise. At that point they just kill for fun. There's just overwhelming evidence of this.

Hmm, had a good response planned out to Dogtooth, but I think it will get me permabanned and he's obviously not worth that, so meh.

As someone whose life was saved by therapy and psychiatry, I will say that you are a terrible person who does the world a tremendous amount harm.

I've been in the church for 15 years and I've never heard of "Xenu". I saw it on South Park, and I couldn't believe they'd air such outlandish lies. I guess a big lie is easier to believe as somebody once said.

I just think your point about Jesus is too simplistic. You can read about Jesus in the bible, but surely you would recognize that people who go to seminary have a more specialized understanding. And so often we see these amateur attempts to read holy books go spectacularly wrong. With scientology, it's a gradual process of understanding your own mind. Not interpreting some ancient text that proports to be holy.
WAIT

Xenu isn't real???

Tobor

You know what the only difference is between the Bible and Dianetics?

We know who wrote Dianetics.

/cymbal crash

EDIT: I botched the punchline. Should have been "We know who to blame for Dianetics".

Tremis

This man does his research.
It's dangerous on several levels. First, these so-called doctors don't want you to get healthy. They just want to put more doubt in your mind so that you keep coming back.

Second and more sinister: they're just straight-up murderers. They prescribe drugs to confuse people and get them to do things they wouldn't do otherwise. At that point they just kill for fun. There's just overwhelming evidence of this.

Please tell us how many mentally ill people you've interacted with and what psych wards you've worked in.

WillyFive

These are some big claims. Can you provide proof of this that is not associated with the religion?

Where did someone get a doctorate in a year?
I think I found a picture of their teaching method:
Clockwork'71.jpg

Hollycat

Religions other than scientology don't kidnap members when they try to leave and they don't harrass them when they successfully do. That's a big enough difference for me to dislike scientology more than other religions.

UrokeJoe

My wife befriended a couple of older lady's a few years ago that turned out to be Scientolgists. They were fairly wealthy and very nice. My wife was oblivious to what Scientology was. They were moving and needed help so my wife got talked into helping them. She's like that.

Anyways my wife started telling me about small conversations they had and books she had seen while helping them all the way up to the device. I started freaking out and next thing I know I'm helping them move so I can keep an eye on the situation. Thought for sure they were trying to suck my wife in.

In the end they were very nice and nothing ever happened and they were generous with things other than money. But there was some weird interactions though. Like talk of taking her to Italy and other things.

kris.

Banned
Never seen a Scientologist out in the wild like this!

149.gif

And I thought the Jays/Rangers game was entertaining.

Dogtooth's trolling was god tier up until he talked about his uncle and said that there's ample evidence that psychs murder people.

Went too deep, mate.

Tremis

This man does his research.
This is where I get stuck on whether or not this dude's trolling.

Do Scientologists really get all "lā ʾilāha ʾillā-llāh, Lafayette Ronald Hubbard rasūlu-llāh" with a science fiction writer?

Don't believe so. I'm pretty disappointed now. Missed that post.

Red Mage

Lol please enlighten us as to why it's not like other religion.

I'll let you decide:

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~dst/Library/Shelf/kent/religion.html

Abstract: Although some social scientists insist that Scientology is a religion, the more appropriate position to take is that the organization is a multi-faceted transnational that has religion as only one of its many components. Other components include political aspirations, business ventures, cultural productions, pseudo-medical practices, pseudo-psychiatric claims, and (among its most devoted members who have joined the Sea Organization), an alternative family structure. Sea Organization's job demands appear to allow little time for quality child rearing. Most disturbing, however, about Sea Organization life is that members can be subject to extremely severe and intrusive punishments through security checks, internal hearings called "Committees of Evidence," and a forced labour and re-indoctrination program known as the Rehabilitation Project Force (RPF) and its harshest companion, the RPF's RPF. Taken together, these harsh and intrusive punishments likely violate a number of human rights clauses as outlined by two United Nations statements.

More sources:

http://www.modemac.com/cgi-bin/wiki.pl/Is_Scientology_a_religion

dabig2

Slightly off-topic, but I want to piggyback on an earlier convo. The clear difference between scientology and other religions is that scientology is newer. That's obvious. What should be obvious as well is our action to it; and that is squashing it and containing its influence to prevent its spread. Something akin to treating a disease or infection in the body.

When Christianity, Islam, and all the derivatives of those authoritative religions that popped up, we weren't there. We weren't there with our vast knowledge and easy access to information. We weren't there with thousands of years of future knowledge (to them). But we're here now, and by whatever god is watching us today if any, we should vow to fight against relatively new ignorance like scientology. Need to strangle that bastard in the crib before it grows from quirky religion of celebs and rich execs to something that poisons the larger populace - those who are easier to take advantage of and plunder, as older religions already have. It's why the other religions with absurd stories and beliefs are still here and thriving after millennia of advancement and progress. So, even if we need help from hypocritical Christians, Muslims, etc., I'm all for it so that scientology doesn't grow to become them in the future.

UrokeJoe

Slightly off-topic, but I want to piggyback on an earlier convo. The clear difference between scientology and other religions is that scientology is newer. That's obvious. What should be obvious as well is our action to it; and that is squashing it and containing its influence to prevent its spread. Something akin to treating a disease or infection in the body.

When Christianity, Islam, and all the derivatives of those authoritative religions that popped up, we weren't there. We weren't there with our vast knowledge and easy access to information. We weren't there with thousands of years of future knowledge (to them). But we're here now, and by whatever god is watching us today if any, we should vow to fight against relatively new ignorance like scientology. Need to strangle that bastard in the crib before it grows from quirky religion of celebs and rich execs to something that poisons the larger populace - those who are easier to take advantage of and plunder, as older religions already have. It's why the other religions with absurd stories and beliefs are still here and thriving after millennia of advancement and progress. So, even if we need help from hypocritical Christians, Muslims, etc., I'm all for it so that scientology doesn't grow to become them in the future.

My thoughts exactly.

So 50% of this thread is r/atheism levels of fedora and the other 50% of this thread is people taking a troll account seriously.

Never change, Gaf.

FStop7

Banned
Never seen a Scientologist out in the wild like this!

149.gif

And I thought the Jays/Rangers game was entertaining.

Not a real Scieno. There used to be several on alt.religion.scientology back in the day. The rank and file aren't "permitted" to debate on message boards and news groups. The ones who are permitted to interact in hostile environments (IE - places where they may actually be engaged in some meaningful debates) are trained.

Dogtooth's trolling was god tier up until he talked about his uncle and said that there's ample evidence that psychs murder people.

Went too deep, mate.

Personally, the jig was up when he said LRH had seen the film Dogtooth.
Film came out 23 years after his death
:p

WE weren't there! WE must stop it! WE WE WE

Such a cringey, embarassing post. Any "religion" that requires you to pay tens of thousands of dollars a year to get access to it's "holy books" is not gonna spread beyond hollywood. It's a business, plain and simple.
Not a real Scieno. There used to be several on alt.religion.scientology back in the day. The rank and file aren't "permitted" to debate on message boards and news groups. The ones who are permitted to interact in hostile environments (IE - places where they may actually be engaged in some meaningful debates) are trained.
Maybe dogtooth is trained??

I'm not gonna get into the argument at least that heavily at the moment (going to sleep soon-ish), but I consider you fairly intelligent so I'm just gonna ask for now, do you really not see any major differences between them?

And if not (or anyway), do you not think it would be good to get rid of Scientology even in short term? Do you have the same opinion on the other religions?

I'll throw my answers to those two: I do think humanity would ultimately be better off realizing we don't need any supernatural imaginary beings (no offense to anyone with that) but it's a long term goal and I don't consider it that important for now (it's happening slowly anyway). But Scientology is in completely different level in my opinion - their whole system is based on still continuing abuse. They really should be stopped as soon as possible.

But I'm interested to hear your thoughts.

I think they're the worst of the current religions, but it's not like others don't have shit on their hands. Hello Catholic Church and hiding pedophilia, Evangelicals promoting death to gays in Africa and legislation in the States, the Jews having a virtual apartheid state in Israel or Muslims blowing people up. Other religions do charity, which is what kinda separates them. I don't see much difference between their origins though. Believing in ancient text and a man-made and altered bible doesn't seem much different than believing a science fiction author. I'm also pretty sure Scientology doesn't get involved in politics. The same cant be said of Christians and Muslim and Jews. Currently the right is so far up the Evangelical ass it's hard to distinguish one from the other at times. They all got mud on their noses as far as I'm concerned.

UrokeJoe

Such a cringey, embarassing post. Any "religion" that requires you to pay tens of thousands of dollars a year to get access to it's "holy books" is not gonna spread beyond hollywood. It's a business, plain and simple.

Maybe in its aggressiveness, but it's still all business a tax free one.

UrokeJoe

Religion is influence. It's also a tax free one. Thank "God" corporations get all the breaks now.

Edit. Okay sorry going way OT.

dabig2

Maybe dogtooth is trained??

If you thought that was cringeworthy, you then know my pain when I go to church or have to pretend having a mature discussion about sky fairies. But I digress, the point is that many established and popular religions were doing to the populace back then what scientology is doing now. At least here in the present, we can blunt scientology's influence before it becomes successful.

Not like we haven't seen religions morph before to influence the common people.

You can scoff at the 7 days thing if you want, but respected Biblical scholars have totally reconciled this by pointing out that a day by God's reckoning could span eons. I bet you didn't even consult a fanfiction enthusiast theologian before writing that post!

But do I go to hell if I don't believe.

Do I get vilified and ostracised because I don't believe in a fairy tail?

What happens if I think (as a baptised roman Catholic) all religions have an essence of good but are used by some as a way to separate and cause hate and anger if you don't accept.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
I'm glad this thread was made as I'd never heard of this, jumped to the top of my watchlist. Easiest way to watch it?

What an insightful post, it really opened my eyes to the truth about religion

If you thought that was cringeworthy, you then know my pain when I go to church or have to pretend having a mature discussion about sky fairies. But I digress, the point is that many established and popular religions were doing to the populace back then what scientology is doing now. At least here in the present, we can blunt scientology's influence before it becomes successful.

Not like we haven't seen religions morph before to influence the common people.

No.

Christianity and Islam at least were borne out of frustration with the inequalities between the rich ruling class and the rest of the society. Both at the core preach equality, love and care for each other and removing injustices from society and also uplifting the poor, the downtrodden, the orphan and the needy by feeding, clothing and caring for them. The segment of the society that was forgotten and ignored by everyone. That ideal is good and noble. Scientology is born out of one man's need to make quick buck (LRH's words, not mine). The secrets of scientology, it's books and the writings of LRH are only accessible to quite honestly the most privileged class on earth: rich, western, affluent, 1%'er upper-class that can fork out $10,000 on a whim. It's not going to appeal to any masses anywhere. Hell the masses don't even know the tenets of scientology or what psychiatry even is.

Red Mage

Fedora Force has got to be the lamest use of alliteration I've ever seen.

Well, now that you're done giving ratings on alliteration, maybe you can read some of the material I provided. Assuming, of course, that you're interested in an actual discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom