• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SCII: Heart of the Swarm screens [Previews/Vids, Development Fully Started This Year]

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Teknopathetic said:
"I see snow/ice. WIN."

Is snow/ice ever not the first expansion to RTSs?
darkconspiracy_790screen002.jpg

It is RTS law.

Mister Wilhelm said:
As long as they give the zerg some new units that allow them to compete, I'm good.

Yeah since they suck so much right now, right? Lulz.

Really exciting to see the upgrade/RPG system they are aiming for by customizing Kerrigan's abilities/loadouts and having her as a hero unit in the campaign. Really looking forward to this and hoping they actually are able to go somewhere with the story that sets up for something great in Legacy of the Void.

Draft

-COOLIO- said:
"i am the memory of you as the queen of blades"

this plot is getting mad hokey
It's already hokey as shit. I've written it off. It's dumb, not as good as BW and won't ever be. I'm in it for the missions.

Vespene

The story will not be about hive minds chatting through telepathic nodes with a bunch of slime everywhere. Kerrigan will be the Raynor of this story, the "playable" character. She'll control a small faction of Zerg through her own human looking interface, not some slimy eXistenZ veins.

Also notice how bare her outfit looks. As the game progresses, she's gonna be upgradable. A loot whore perhaps?

The ice levels/environments look nice. I was so disappointed by the story in WoL that I have a very sour taste left in my mouth, so I'm not exactly eagerly anticipating this anymore.

hamchan

pieatorium said:
That would still be better than "there must always be a queen of blades", seriously fuck WotLK.
Worst part about this is that the guy who became the new Lich King has that standard male character model you see everywhere. Like, they couldn't even be bothered to make the character unique.

ultron87

hamchan said:
Worst part about this is that the guy who became the new Lich King has that standard male character model you see everywhere. Like, they couldn't even be bothered to make the character unique.

Clearly it's symbolism. There's a little of the Lich King in all of us.

hamchan said:
Hes just a regular joe who had to overcome crushing westfall poverty in his youth to ascend to greatness. It's a message to every girl and boy, if you work hard enough one day you too can become the Lich King

Lesath

hamchan said:

Dude, none of the classic racial leaders had unique models.

Zzoram

Starcraft + Broodwar was the best story and characters that Blizzard ever created. Everything since has been worse. However, the campaign was relatively standard fare for the time.

Starcraft II Wings of Liberty had the most fun RTS campaign Blizzard has made yet, but the story and dialogue was really bad. Heart of the Swarm looks like it could be an even more fun RTS campaign, with story and dialogue equally as mediocre as Wings of Liberty.

If only they could combine the writing of Starcraft Broodwar with the level design and game mechanics of Starcraft II, we would've had the perfect RTS singleplayer

That said, Starcraft II is still the best RTS multiplayer out there.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Kunan said:
"I am the memory of you as the queen of blades" - Horrendous, pathetically awful looking zerg design

Someone needs to co-write with him, or get him out. WoW has really fucked with his head, it seems. I'm still trying to be hopeful that the story will eventually return to the greatness of SC1+BW, but that line suggests a plot arc even worse than any found in WoL -_-
They do have a new co-writer.

He used to be one of BioWare's lower rank writers.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Zzoram said:
Starcraft + Broodwar was the best story and characters that Blizzard ever created.
Go back, re-play it, and realize how b-grade campy it still is. Blizzard have crafted ridiculous stories over and over again so I have no idea why people are crying foul over some dialogue in the screenshots.

This is similar to the whole feeling from WoW when you could finally defeat Arthas; everyone and their dog wanted to kill him and I kept wondering why they were so obsessed with it all since his "path to corruption" was as hokey as they get. WC3 & Frozen Thrones were filled to the brim with silly tales.

Q8D3vil

mescalineeyes said:
the fact that they're showing single player before multiplayer only proves that Blizzard knows what people really care about.

they just get off on being withholding.
i think its a step in the right direction, why show and mp right now ?
let them test it and balance the shit out of it then release a beta.
i don't want another WOL were a race get nerfed for a straight year.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Yoshichan said:
The actual singleplayer campaign is really entertaining and fun... the story however, sucks so hard.

I agree. The individual scenarios and the progression stuff was a ton of fun. I played through the campaign three times, and I usually ignore campaigns in RTS games. The story was pretty damn awful, sure, but the gameplay was a blast.

Twig

Banned
speedpop said:
Go back, re-play it, and realize how b-grade campy it still is. Blizzard have crafted ridiculous stories over and over again so I have no idea why people are crying foul over some dialogue in the screenshots.

This is similar to the whole feeling from WoW when you could finally defeat Arthas; everyone and their dog wanted to kill him and I kept wondering why they were so obsessed with it all since his "path to corruption" was as hokey as they get. WC3 & Frozen Thrones were filled to the brim with silly tales.
Truth.

But I love me some B-grade campiness. :D

That aside, something about the shading/texture work on Kerrigan is really offputting. Like it's only marginally better than the prerendered scenes from Starcraft 1. Obviously, it's way more than marginally better, but still. Eurgh.

Baraka in the White House

2-Terms of Kombat
I'm not about hand Blizzard any awards for unique or captivating storytelling but calling WoL awful and terrible while holding up the original as some kind of example to aspire to is patently ridiculous.

Kunan

Nirolak said:
They do have a new co-writer.

He used to be one of BioWare's lower rank writers.
Anything is good. As long as they have each other to bounce their ideas off of. Sometimes, you just need someone to tell you something is a bit too hokey.

speedpop said:

My main problem with WoL is the fact that nothing you do has any affect on the universe whatsoever, aside from the last missions. I can't believe you go through like 10 missions to out Mengsk as a corrupt ruler, the last one having everyone revolt. Then at the end of the credits, it says "Mengsk is still secure on the throne." REALLY? Not even a bit shakey? The Zeratul missions were awesome as they actually had story and plot in them. I'm a bit worried about them though, as the hurr hurr there was a greater generic-angry threat all this time and we must unite! kind of plot tends to suck. Reminds me of a bad plot thread from a shonen anime, and tends to make the stakes patently ridiculous and the feats, that characters have to make to defeat them, laughable compared to their previous outings.

Gameplay-wise, WoL was a breath of fresh air.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Kunan said:
Anything is good. As long as they have each other to bounce their ideas off of. Sometimes, you just need someone to tell you something is a bit too hokey.
He was there already for the last game.

Zzoram

speedpop said:

Starcraft + Broodwar were at least coherent and maintained a sense of continuity. SCII:WoL broke continuity and had moments that made no sense like the Raynor raid on that Battlecruiser. It literally goes from him seeing a massive overpowering fleet arrive, to him somehow shuttling over to their capital ship and gunning his way to the boss. Who in their right mind would send a shuttle to raid a flagship of a massive fleet that could destroy you instantly? They should've spoken over the comm and arranged a meeting.

Sober

Kunan said:
My main problem with WoL is the fact that nothing you do has any affect on the universe whatsoever, aside from the last missions. I can't believe you go through like 10 missions to out Mengsk as a corrupt ruler, the last one having everyone revolt. Then at the end of the credits, it says "Mengsk is still secure on the throne." REALLY? Not even a bit shakey? The Zeratul missions were awesome as they actually had story and plot in them. I'm a bit worried about them though, as the hurr hurr there was a greater generic-angry threat all this time and we must unite! kind of plot tends to suck. Reminds me of a bad plot thread from a shonen anime, and tends to make the stakes patently ridiculous and the feats, that characters have to make to defeat them, laughable compared to their previous outings.
Wouldn't be surprised if their new MMO actually was a Starcraft one (regardless of what they keep telling us) and WOL + HOTS + LOTV is going to bring us into an MMO storyline because, again, Blizzard will go and make it so "the true evil Xel'naga has been vanquished by the Terran+Protoss+Zerg alliance but now with no common enemy, they turn against each other!

Hell, they pretty much did it with RoC+TFT so I wouldn't put it past them.

Bowdz

Kunan said:

My main problem with WoL is the fact that nothing you do has any affect on the universe whatsoever, aside from the last missions. I can't believe you go through like 10 missions to out Mengsk as a corrupt ruler, the last one having everyone revolt. Then at the end of the credits, it says "Mengsk is still secure on the throne." REALLY? Not even a bit shakey? The Zeratul missions were awesome as they actually had story and plot in them. I'm a bit worried about them though, as the hurr hurr there was a greater generic-anger threat all this time and we must unite! kind of plot tends to suck.

Gameplay-wise, WoL was a breath of fresh air.

Agreed. Even though the main plot for WoL was a trope filled, retconning-cheesefest, I think the biggest problem came from the lack of focus and poor pacing. The game would have been infinitely better if they had just stuck to one plot point and had that be the driving force the whole way through. Having roughly 5 different arcs going on (none of which really had any conclusion) made it nigh impossible to get invested in any of them.

When the Zerg first arrived, the newscast said something along the lines of "over 1 Billion dead initially" indicating a fairly major threat and yet the entire rest of the game, we never get to see any of the destruction that the Zerg are causing. They are just there to irritate Raynor. Same thing applies to Mengsk. The first mission shows the oppressive nature of the Dominion, but (with the exception of the not-so-subtle newscasts) we never actually see or interact with any of the oppression of the Dominion. Combine these weaknesses with a relatively slowly paced campaign and you end up with one of the most unsatisfying campaigns in recent memory (from a strictly story perspective).

Although I don't think the actual narrative of the SC2 arc is salvageable at this point, we can at least hope that whatever story they write is focused, well paced, and well told.

Altazor

speedpop said:

at least it wasn't a copypaste of Mass Effect 2's plot... :(

styl3s

Bring back lurkers to MP.

We all know they will be adding units, and one of those units better f'n be lurkers.

hamchan

I'm up to the final few missions of WoL and it's felt like absolutely nothing has happened. Compare it to the original SC. Yes they are both B-grade cheese but as least the plot moved forward and a lot of shit went down in SC1. SC2 feels like a bunch of random missions with no story advancements.

-COOLIO- said:
"i am the memory of you as the queen of blades"

this plot is getting mad hokey

Not necessarily. It could just be the variant of that protoss jewel that got you to play protoss mission in SC2 SP.

zlatko

Banned
*fap fap fap* I want it inside me.

My most hype thing in gaming, and once it's out the next expansion will take its place as my most hyped thing. ;)

Aaron

Altazor said:
at least it wasn't a copypaste of Mass Effect 2's plot... :(
Strange comment. ME2 would need to have a plot to be copy and pasted.

Yeah, WoL's story sucked and so will this game. It's clearly not Blizzard's primary concern.

markot

Banned
Metzen is pretty awful. The story in all their games just get worse and worse >_<

Its weird how in wow for example, some quests have great stories and characters, but then they get upgraded into 'lore' and... they get ruined. (Tirion from vanilla to wotlk)

Feels like Lucas working alone... ruining everything...

Top Bottom