• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SCII: Heart of the Swarm screens [Previews/Vids, Development Fully Started This Year]

speedpop said:
Go back, re-play it, and realize how b-grade campy it still is.

I hate when people say this. I don't need to go back and replay it (although i have recently anyway) because i know i enjoyed the story. Clearly i don't think it's some incredible narrative but i really liked it.

speedpop said:
Blizzard have crafted ridiculous stories over and over again so I have no idea why people are crying foul over some dialogue in the screenshots.

Have you ignored everything people have posted? It's because we enjoyed the first story. SC2's plot and dialogue are both garbage and has managed to ruin the universe that was created in SC1.

LowParry

Pandaman said:
oh fuck, they played the amnesia card

I saw that too. Terrible. Which means at the end, she'll regain her memories, and it's as if nothing happened to begin with. Terrible terrible terrible.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Hmm, soo 18 months after july 2010 puts us in a 2011 winter release- ish ?

nilbog21

Banned
looks fun. i actually really enjoyed the wings of liberty campaign on brutal. i wonder how many new units will be added to the game :eek:

also kerrigan looks really lame. can blizard fire samwise yet

Mairu

important part of the q&a:

Q: What are some of the changes made to multiplayer Heart of the Swarm?

A: While we're not quite ready to go into detail about the new multiplayer content in Heart of the Swarm, we can say that this expansion set will include new units and new maps. We'll have more details about multiplayer Heart of the Swarm content at BlizzCon.
can't wait

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
nilbog21 said:
looks fun. i actually really enjoyed the wings of liberty campaign on brutal. i wonder how many new units will be added to the game :eek:

also kerrigan looks really lame. can blizard fire samwise yet

Metzen and Samwise both should be banished to the moon.

Aaron

Dance In My Blood said:
I was willing to accept the sacrifice of a multi-race campaign in WoL because I assumed the Zerg would get their chance to shine afterwards. It feels weird for them to have a significantly shorter campaign than the Terran. Zerg continues to be the least popular race online, and giving them the short end of the campaign stick is just another reason I think people just don't get into the race.
This expansion is going to be a huge boost to people playing zerg in multi. Right now they're the hardest race for a noob to wrap their minds around. Also, it's not that much shorter since the terran campaign had 6? protoss missions, as well as its braindead early missions.

Tacitus_

The gameplay trailer from wellplayed.org looked promising. Kerrigan was a cold, murdering bitch in it. I hope it's not temporary.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Corky said:
Hmm, soo 18 months after july 2010 puts us in a 2011 winter release- ish ?
with 3-5 months of beta beforehand. i dont think we'll see hots this year, but we'll probably get the beta.

"campaigns of 30 missions per race is the same as 3 sets of 10/10/10!"
"for HOTS, we're looking at about 20 missions"

Corky

Pandaman said:
with 3-5 months of beta beforehand. i dont think we'll see hots this year, but we'll probably get the beta.

Oh ok, we'll heres hoping I atleast get to play D3 this year.

Right? It's crunchtime right?? ...................:(

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Tacitus_ said:
The gameplay trailer from wellplayed.org looked promising. Kerrigan was a cold, murdering bitch in it. I hope it's not temporary.
I have some bad news for you.

Eurogamer said:
There are a few wrinkles in the build we play. Kerrigan's personality veers a little between determination to wipe out anything opposing her ("No-one gets out alive. No-one.") and more mawkish lines like, "The hunt is bloody. I can't believe I'm slaughtering innocents." But Browder is upfront about the dialogue and voice-acting being placeholder, while lead writer Brian Kindregan says they're still "smoothing out" the progression – and, of course, we played isolated missions rather than an individual arc.
Source: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-05-30-starcraft-ii-heart-of-the-swarm-preview?page=1

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Aaron said:
This expansion is going to be a huge boost to people playing zerg in multi. Right now they're the hardest race for a noob to wrap their minds around.
I'm not sure a lack of understanding is what keeps people away from Zerg. Structurally, they are the simplest race. You build everything out of a single building and unit types tend to be very basic. Mechanically they take the most work though, so people would rather play Protoss and EZ warp everything in.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Pandaman said:

loololololol

Fucking liars.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Nirolak said:
This is why I was complaining when they broke it into three parts.
I don't think you were the only one complaining. Half of the fans probably think the same.

Corky

Nirolak said:
So this is why it's taking so long:

Well you know, drawing stuff takes time :(, especially when you have a million art people on staff.

Mairu

Pandaman said:
where's that gaffer going to blizzcon? i have a question he can ask for me.
I'm going to Blizzcon but I doubt I'll be going to the panels :p

I remember hearing awhile back that the SC2 team is actually relatively small so it doesn't really surprise me that they didn't get started on HotS proper until this year. I don't expect it until next year at the very least

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
TeamLiquid said:
We're going to add some new multiplayer units, and take out some multiplayer units and we're going to try to make it really great, but a ton of the work is going to go into single player.

Hylian7

Looks great. I really enjoyed Wings of Liberty's campaign and this is looking just as interesting if not more interesting.

I hope for more surprise Protoss missions and am still sad that Legacy of the Void is last.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Nirolak said:
to give blizzard an inch [and not a micron more], the unit they mentioned as an example is the overseer and there certainly is room there that could be best served by a new unit.

Entropia

No One Remembers
Mairu said:

I remember hearing awhile back that the SC2 team is actually relatively small so it doesn't really surprise me that they didn't get started on HotS proper until this year. I don't expect it until next year at the very least

I'm going to Blizzcon too! But I only go to the WoW related panels.

Aaron

Nirolak said:
If you watch the interview on giantbomb, it comes off that they're trying a lot of things with the multiplayer and they have no set idea what changes will actually be made yet.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Mairu said:
go and ask them how they plan to win back the sales of fans who are growing tired with a company that excuses problems with lies about upcoming products.

Mairu

Pandaman said:
go and ask them how they plan to win back the sales of fans who are growing tired with a company that excuses problems with lies about upcoming products.
you say like that HotS isn't going to be the best-selling rts expansion of all time when it releases

edit: well probably not best selling of all time but it'll set some sort of sales-time records :p

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Mairu said:
you say like that HotS isn't going to be the best-selling rts expansion of all time when it releases

edit: well probably not best selling of all time but it'll set some sort of sales-time records :p
oh i know it'll sell and ill still buy, its just being passive aggressive only works if they know you're doing it.

Ultimoo said:
Well if the third part has 40 missions, we'll all be eating crow, lol.
im still short 10 zerg missions.

Bowdz

Well here is Blizzard's problem:

Q: How is Kerrigan resurrected?

Right now it's just a new mechanic, we haven't figured out yet if her consciousness is transferred to a new body, or if she just burrows to the hive - we need to lock down the mechanic and then we'll examine the lore.

So the design process is mechanics first, story second. It makes for great gameplay, but lackluster, disjointed stories.

Neki

Pandaman said:
oh i know it'll sell and ill still buy, its just being passive aggressive only works if they know you're doing it.

im still short 10 zerg missions.

protoss is superior to zerg pandaman, you should know this already, we'd be getting 10 more missions of the superior race.

Bowdz said:

So the design process is mechanics first, story second. It makes for great gameplay, but lackluster, disjointed stories.

gameplay > story in most cases

AppleMIX

I can't believe people care so much about the single player game. Sure its a nice distraction, but the meat has always been with the multiplayer.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Bowdz said:

If they don't want to shoot themselves in the foot they will worry about mechanics first.

syllogism

HK-47 said:
loololololol

Fucking liars.
Err, it's a completely arbitrary number either way considering missions vary in length. SC2 campaign was longer than SC1 vanilla campaign, so the only really valid complaint is that you just really really wanted to play as zerg/protoss in the vanilla campaign.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Bowdz said:

No that's the right way to do it, I just had no idea this game was so early still. I mean SC2 came out last summer.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Bowdz said:

Well, it doesn't have to be.

Valve makes their gameplay mechanics first and their story later, but at least they can pull off something entertaining plot wise in the end.

Top Bottom