• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World (Dir. Wright, Cera, Kendrick, Evans, Schwartzman)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jedeye Sniv said:
Whenever people say things like this I always wonder why they're watching films they supposedly didn't enjoy multiple times. I mean, it's good that you like it now and all, but I don't want to watch twilight three times on the off chance that I might get into it after a while.

Some of my favorite films of all-time are ones I didn't really like on first viewing (2001, Blade Runner, many Malick films, Assassination of JJ and many, many more). Scott Pilgrim is nowhere near this category, but I think rewatching films can be quite beneficial.

Really wouldn't figure SP to Murray's kind of movie. Although, I guess he does have a taste for the ridiculous.

Anyway, Bill Murray in an Edgar Wright movie? Yes, please.

Madrical said:
That is the worst thing I have ever seen or heard in my life.

Everyone who worked on anything to do with this video clip or audio should be ashamed of themselves.

>_>
Yeah, that's why I asked it was relevant.

Count me as one of those people that just didn't get this film, and I grew up as a big fan of video games and that entire culture. It was probably one of the worst films I saw that year.

So much gloss, and yet so shallow, and terrible acting by many involved...

But carry on.

Edit: Whoever mentioned Rushmore as being in the same breath as this movie, I completely disagree. Rushmore actually had some real, earned, pathos. I can definitely see Scott Pilgrim trying to hit that mark, but it completely missed.

Granted, it's hard. Wes Anderson has had a hard time hitting that mark since Rushmore.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Jedeye Sniv said:
Whenever people say things like this I always wonder why they're watching films they supposedly didn't enjoy multiple times. I mean, it's good that you like it now and all, but I don't want to watch twilight three times on the off chance that I might get into it after a while.

blade runner got way better the second time i watched it. some albums need to be heard many, many times before it all "clicks". you just gotta give things a fair shot and sometimes it means returning to it days/weeks/months later with a fresh perspective.

Expendable. said:
He said on Twitter he would turn it down if he was offered because nothing could be better than the first.
Humbleness has its place.

But in this case, fuck humbleness.

I never put two and two together, but now that I have, there is no director better for it.

Expendable. said:
He said on Twitter he would turn it down if he was offered because nothing could be better than the first.

Now I hate him. Seriously he is the only person who's made a movie with similar humor in recent memory to Ghostbusters. What a jerk.

big ander

Lionel Mandrake said:
Really wouldn't figure SP to Murray's kind of movie. Although, I guess he does have a taste for the ridiculous.

Anyway, Bill Murray in an Edgar Wright movie? Yes, please.
I thought it was kinda weird, but when you think about his film choices in the past 15 or so years and who he's considered a friend/collaborator with, it makes sense.
brucewaynegretzky said:
Now I hate him. Seriously he is the only person who's made a movie with similar humor in recent memory to Ghostbusters. What a jerk.
Him making movies with that similar humor is why he shouldn't touch Ghostbusters. It's not like he doesn't already have dozens of ideas floating around in his head for other original material. Why attempt to touch an old franchise when he can put out so much more?

big ander said:
Him making movies with that similar humor is why he shouldn't touch Ghostbusters. It's not like he doesn't already have dozens of ideas floating around in his head for other original material. Why attempt to touch an old franchise when he can put out so much more?

The problem is now we're gonna get Ghostbusters III with Apatow humor.

Seriously though, can anyone name any other movies in recent memory that have a similar humor to Ghostbusters? It was almost like British humor... but at the same time not...

brucewaynegretzky said:
The problem is now we're gonna get Ghostbusters III with Apatow humor.

Seriously though, can anyone name any other movies in recent memory that have a similar humor to Ghostbusters? It was almost like British humor... but at the same time not...

Give it to Jason Reitman. Goes hand in hand with the "passing the torch" theme.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom