• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World (Dir. Wright, Cera, Kendrick, Evans, Schwartzman)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kyoya

When they show it on either HBO or Cinemax I have to make myself turn the channel so I don't overdose on a viewing. I don't want Scott Pilgrim to be one of those movies that I get tired of due to repeat viewings - watching it on Blu-Ray is my preferred consumption method for this film. I gotta treat this film like a fine wine, and watch it all the way from start to finish.

A crowd viewing of Scott Pilgrim in Wicker Park - I could NOT turn that down :)

ezekial45

Banned
Just a reminder; there's gonna be a triple bill of Edgar Wright's movie's in San Francisco on the night of the 26th.

MidnightPosterMediumRez.jpg

You can get your tickets here.

http://www.ticketweb.com/t3/sale/SaleEventDetail?dispatch=loadSelectionData&eventId=3787795

ezekial45

Banned
I had to leave a bit early, but I still had a delightful time. Edgar Wright is hilarious and really seems like a chill dude. The crowd was fucking awesome as well. Made the experience way more enjoyable.

I'm just sorry I had to leave. I would've loved to see the Don't trailer again.

UrbanRats

Saw this earlier, imma going to copy/paste from the movies thread:
I've seen Scott Pilgrim, anyway.
It's definitely a very well crafted movie, but i'm not sure if i liked it or loved it.
I guess if you can relate to the cool/hipster/videogame/whatever culture it's presenting, you're gonna get mad over it, but otherwise, it's still a very very solid and fun movie.
Can't wait to see Wright's next thing.
I was only a bit annoyed by the amount of "totally" and "so" that were used in there ("you are totally doing this" - " you are so doing this").

Roquentin

Just bought it on Blu-ray (it's my first BR movie). Too bad I don't have Blu-ray player yet :D Time to buy PS3 or something. Anyway, I love this movie.

ezekial45

Banned
Did anyone else here go to the triple feature last night? I was hoping I could find some video of the Q&A for Shaun if the Dead. I'm really kicking myself now for leave. I had so much fun there.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
ezekial45 said:
Did anyone else here go to the triple feature last night? I was hoping I could find some video of the Q&A for Shaun if the Dead. I'm really kicking myself now for leave. I had so much fun there.

Yep. It was awesome. I think the best revelation was (and I don't know if you were there for this part), but was learning that Shaun of the Dead takes place in the same universe and time as Night/Dawn/Day of the Dead. That's fucking awesome (and also gave me a great idea of other directors adding to Romero's universe by doing their own "of the Dead" films). Would be something to see.

Also me and my bro both got posters. Best $50 ever spent and I might have to take a trip to Target or something to get a frame for it. Or hunt garage sales for old frames.

Raiden

Banned
Just saw this, cant say i liked it all that much. Kinda dissapointing, IMDB has never let me down before. And this scores pretty good on it.

Probally not my kind of movie.

ezekial45

Banned
Thats amazing! I feel horrible now that I missed out on it. Did he say that it was made a part of the universe after the fact? Or did he make the movie in mind with it being related to the others. But yeah, that would amazing to see other directors add to the series.

My friends and I had to leave after Hot Fuzz. What's worse was that cause we were in such a hurry, I forgot to redeem the raffle ticket for a prize. It was for a guitar pick or something, right? So that was $5 well spent. :(

That was my first time at the Castro theater too. It was a really pimp theater. Very laid back and really traditional. I might check out that Aliens and Starship Troopers showing.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
He made it with Romero's films in mind and that the Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1970's remake) was the other half of the influence for the film besides the obvious Dead films.

Don't worry about the raffle ticket thing. My brother and I looked around for a bit after everyone left and there really wasn't anyone redeeming the tickets for anything (I am going to email Jesse later today about it, it's a good thing I was a student of his for like 4 semesters now). I spent $10 bucks on raffle tickets so at least you didn't loose too much money.

That is my tenth Midnites for Maniacs showing and I definitely will be there for next months Aleins/Starship/Dark Star showing. Love all three of those flicks.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
ezekial45 said:
That was my first time at the Castro theater too. It was a really pimp theater. Very laid back and really traditional. I might check out that Aliens and Starship Troopers showing.
Cinematic Titanic was just there a week ago or so.

VariantX04

Loser slave of the system :(
Thought this was pretty cool. Especially the last question. From a ComingSoon.net interview with Chris Evans:

CS: Another movie that people really loved was "Scott Pilgrim."
Evans: Yeah, me too, man! I can't believe more people didn't see it, what-the-f**k? It was such a good movie. The first time I saw it I was like, "this is my favorite movie." I love every second of that movie, and was so bummed more people didn't go see it.

CS: Now it's on permanent midnight rotation at the New Beverly in LA, once a month.
Evans: Oh really? I didn't know that. No kidding.

CS: Would you like to do another really far-out, stylized performance like that?
Evans: I'd love to do anything else with Edgar Wright. If Edgar Wright asked me to do anything, ANYTHING I'll do it. That was like one of the most fun, "Let's just go somewhere nuts." But if you're gonna go somewhere nuts you need a director you trust, because if you're going crazy you're handing the performance over. You're like, "Alright, I'm gonna put some wild sh*t down here, and then you're gonna cut and paste whatever performance you want in the editing room." Editing can change everything. If you're gonna swing for the fences it's a much more comforting feeling knowing you have a good director.

Read more: Interview: Chris Evans Feels a Puncture - ComingSoon.net http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=82258#ixzz1Yi0fxBLw

big ander

AgentWhiskers said:
Thought this was pretty cool. Especially the last question. From a ComingSoon.net interview with Chris Evans:
Man, I'd fucking love if Evans had a role in The World's End. In fact, it would be spectacular if the final film of the Blood and Ice Cream Trilogy had a combined US and UK cast somehow. Stage a mini-SP reunion inside the film.

big ander

Green Scar said:
The final part of Wright/Pegg/Frost's trilogy needs to be British only, but damn, Evans working with Wright again? Sign me the feck up.
I'm not saying it should be a 50/50 split. Keep it mostly British, but the title does imply that it's a global event. Why not show a touring Young Neil, Stephen Stills, and Kim going crazy during the apocalypse?

Vox-Pop

Contains Sucralose
Green Scar said:
The final part of Wright/Pegg/Frost's trilogy needs to be British only, but damn, Evans working with Wright again? Sign me the feck up.
are they working on another film?

big ander said:
I'm not saying it should be a 50/50 split. Keep it mostly British, but the title does imply that it's a global event. Why not show a touring Young Neil, Stephen Stills, and Kim going crazy during the apocalypse?

That'd be fun. If it is indeed global, then it'd be a good excuse to have some Americans/Canadians turn up, yes. I'm expecting a look at the apocalypse as seen in a standard British town though, following standard British town versions of zombies and action films.

fisheyes

Vox-Pop said:
Any info on story? It probably too early but so hype. Hope they do more of a Spaced type movie.

If I'm not mistaken, its called 'The World Ends', so that should tell you basically all we know. Also I think in some interview or something they revealed what kind of Cornetto they buy, if that counts to you as story info.

big ander

Jasoco said:
I know what IMDB lists it as, but considering the script isn't started and Pegg and Frost and Wright would need to sync schedules, that's not an actual confirmed date.
fisheyes said:
If I'm not mistaken, its called 'The World Ends', so that should tell you basically all we know. Also I think in some interview or something they revealed what kind of Cornetto they buy, if that counts to you as story info.
Yeah so it should be a disaster movie homage or something like that, but it could technically be anything.

Anyway: this article is helpful. It's from 2010.
You've had a lot success playing around with different types of genres, how do go about lovingly skewering these types of films, while maintaining a fresh perspective?

I think you have to be passionate about the genre. With Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz they were both genres that I felt very warmly about. That is a big distinction to make. Especially with Shaun of the Dead, it was a Valentine to George Romero, it wasn't a send up. I think a lot of people always refer to Shaun of The Dead as being a spoof, and Simon and I never saw it that way. We saw it as a zombie film that happens to be funny because of the characters' reactions.

What is the next genre that you would be interested in playing with?

I don't know. I'm trying to go beyond that, rather, and tell stories. I think after Hot Fuzz one of the reasons we didn't make a film straight away, was by the end of the Hot Fuzz press tour people would only ask us that question, what's next you've done zombies, you've done cops, what's next? You start to think that people assume you have a blindfold and a dart board, and oh okay, kung fu, let's do that. I think what I would like to do now is to make stories that appeal to me. And Scott Pilgrim is exactly that, I read the book, and I knew I had to make this movie.

So then what is the current status of The Blood and Ice Cream Trilogy?

We have an idea and we still plan on writing it. I think Simon and I have to be in the same room. We've both been busy and so has Nick. So I'd hope that maybe by the end of next year we'd start writing it.

So you haven't written a draft yet, just an idea?

We've had the germ of the idea for three years. So we need to either write it down or start completely from scratch. Basically there's nothing really to tell, anything you might have read is not true.

Not even the fact that the next ice cream [flavor to appear in the movie] will be Mint Chocolate Chip?

That's true but I said that basically to have some kind of answer when people would ask me about it. [...] There are only three flavors of Cornetto. So if we do it again, there is no other option.

So what does mint chocolate chip have to do with the end of the world?

Nothing. [Laughs]

Is the title that was released [The Word's End] still the same?

Maybe. I don't know, I think so. We liked that idea, it had a sort of resonance in a different way. It might be that we continue with that idea, or it might be that we start all over again.

It's got a lot of post-apocalyptic buzz on the internet.

We never said it was post-apocalyptic movie though. To be honest, in a weird way, I regret saying anything at all because then people start speculating. It's more we probably shouldn't have said anything at all. I've found that I regret speaking too soon about stuff. Because you end up sounding like the boy who cried wolf.

big ander

AgentWhiskers said:
Edgar Wright and Simon Pegg are actually in LA writing the script right now.

wrightpegg.png
Oh shit that's right. Totally forgot they started writing! I was even following those tweets and geeking out as it was happening. EDIT: Isn't Pegg leaving LA for a while now? Guess they're taking a break.

VariantX04

Loser slave of the system :(
big ander said:
Oh shit that's right. Totally forgot they started writing! I was even following those tweets and geeking out as it was happening. EDIT: Isn't Pegg leaving LA for a while now? Guess they're taking a break.
Yeah, just saw his last few tweets. Seems that way.

big ander

IamMattFox said:
The World's End will be amazing and all, but what's the word on another Scott Pilgrim?

=,(
Well, even if the movie was not a flop, I don't know what they'd do with it. I guess BLOM could write some more substantial Scott stories or something, but I thought he didn't want to do that for years.

Just rewatched the movie yesterday, right after finishing the original comics, and I totally love it. One of the best movies I've seen in my life. Now, onto PSN game.

Dr.Acula

Banned
Relevant:

Universal Chief Ron Meyer Addresses VOD Fiasco, Admits Cowboys & Aliens, Land of the Lost, Wolfman Kinda Stunk

What happened, then, with well-publicized financial disappointments Scott Pilgrim, Land of the Lost, and Cowboys & Aliens?
Movieline put the question to Meyer: Why did the aforementioned Universal event films fail?

“Cowboys & Aliens wasn’t good enough. Forget all the smart people involved in it, it wasn’t good enough,” Meyer said, without pause. “All those little creatures bouncing around were crappy. I think it was a mediocre movie, and we all did a mediocre job with it.”

“Land of the Lost was just crap,” he continued. “I mean, there was no excuse for it. The best intentions all went wrong.”

“Scott Pilgrim, I think, was actually kind of a good movie. [Addressing a small section of the audience, cheering.] But none of you guys went! And you didn’t tell your friends to go! But, you know, it happens.”

“Cowboys & Aliens didn’t deserve better. Land of the Lost didn’t deserve better. Scott Pilgrim did deserve better, but it just didn’t capture enough of the imaginations of people, and it was one of those things where it didn’t cost a lot so it wasn’t a big loss. Cowboys & Aliens was a big loss, and Land of the Lost was a huge loss. We misfired. We were wrong. We did it badly, and I think we’re all guilty of it. I have to take first responsibility because I’m part of it, but we all did a mediocre job and we paid the price for it. It happens. They’re talented people. Certainly you couldn’t have more talented people involved in Cowboys & Aliens, but it took, you know, ten smart and talented people to come up with a mediocre movie. It just happens.”

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Expendable. said:
@edgarwright:
Is this weird bolding or something? Did he just announce he's retiring from making movies?

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
ezekial45 said:
I think he said I'm retiring as a joke. Cause Bill Murrey liked his movie, he can now retire. Like that kind of joke.
That makes more sense... :lol

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
GodfatherX said:
I didnt like SP on my first watch, but it has gotten better every rewatch, one of my favorites of 2010

Whenever people say things like this I always wonder why they're watching films they supposedly didn't enjoy multiple times. I mean, it's good that you like it now and all, but I don't want to watch twilight three times on the off chance that I might get into it after a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom