• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ScreenJunkies: Zemeckis wants to do Flash, WB doesn't want the script rewrite

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's my point too.

I've never seen Godfather. Only just saw the OT Star Wars a little over a year ago. Never seen Fight Club, any Alien movie, and I can keep on going. But I am aware of many of the movies being out there, and I am checking them out slowly but can only watch a movie at a time heh.

There's a lady on the YouTubes thst is like this, she does a series called "Tamaras never seen" and she watches all these movies that everyone is supposed to have seen. it's a good reminder that not everyone experiences life the same way.

This whole story just seems so fuckin weird.

Why would WB (which has already restarted Flash twice now) stall out at the idea of Zemeckis coming in and starting over if he wants to?

Why would Zemeckis be watching Justice League in rough cut form anyway? Is he friends with Snyder or something?

Why would SCREENJUNKIES of all the people be the crew that gets the scoop on all this?

guek

Banned
My father in law was roommates with Zemeckis in college. Not that they kept in touch...

Anywho, my dream director for Flash is still Sam Raimi but Zemeckis could be great too. This rumor is completely out of left field though so I'll take it with a huge grain of salt.

Pachimari

There's a lady on the YouTubes thst is like this, she does a series called "Tamaras never seen" and she watches all these movies that everyone is supposed to have seen. it's a good reminder that not everyone experiences life the same way.

Yeah, I mean I know a ton of people who haven't seen seen the OT Star Wars trilogy. And nobody here knows who Mark Hamill or even Snyder is. I don't know if it's because we live outside the US in Europe, where these pop culture films and names just aren't as recognized.

Anywho, my dream director for Flash is still Sam Raimi

I never knew I wanted this until now!

If The Flash could hit the same tone as Spider-Man 1 and 2, then damn.

Piku_Ringo

Banned
Makes sense, those Back To That Future movies were straight GAHBAGE!!

pA6EsCm.gif

Busty

Banned
Where did the Cyborg/Raimi rumour come from in the first place? That sounded fascinating even if it was just more 4chan white noise.

Robert Zemeckis directed Used Cars, one of the funniest movies ever. I wish he'd work with Bob Gale again. They wrote perfect screenplays together.

Effect

With a possible writers strike on the horizon no way in hell do they want any rewrites of anything. No way in hell are they taking that chance. I have to imagine as soon as that talk started the focus went to getting the scripts set first then looked at directors in case a strike actually did happen.

Effect

Yeah I've never seen people dislike BttF2 or 3. Sure some have their favorites and one has to be on the bottom but I thought generally people liked all the BttF films.

Whatever happened to giving the directors creative freedom, WB?

Freedom within their frame work or sandbox as they call it.. Always been like that. WB has a story arc and direction they want things to go in and how the characters to be and change. They don't want people coming in and doing whatever they want regardless of how it impacts other things. That's never been okay or what they wanted.

Penguin

I wonder if they don't want a rewrite because of the looming Writer's strike, it would push back the movie even more if wanted to get into production this year

Effect

I wonder if they don't want a rewrite because of the looming Writer's strike, it would push back the movie even more if wanted to get into production this year

Yeah regardless of him meeting with WB or not I have to imagine they don't want any rewrites on finished or near finished scripts at this point. I wouldn't be surprised if some planned to be written later were started sooner just to be on the safe side. They got burned by a writers strike before and they likely don't want a repeat of that.

Yeah that's the problem right now.

Zemeckis is a pretty cool choice for this but no way do they want to risk a rewrite with that writers strike coming up

And bttf 3 is kinda crap. First is a classic though no doubt

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Zemeckis would be a fun choice.

I don't see why WB wouldn't give him the rewrites. They desperately need a genuinely quality movie. Not just a passable one, but an actual critical and commercial hit. Zemeckis is a talented, creative director and screenwriter. Again, why would they balk at giving him rewrites?

Back to the Future is one of my favorite trilogies of all time, so I admit I'm a little biased. I also love Roger Rabbit and Forrest Gump, so yeah, a little biased.

Zemeckis would be a fun choice.

I don't see why WB wouldn't give him the rewrites. They desperately need a genuinely quality movie. Not just a passable one, but an actual critical and commercial hit. Zemeckis is a talented, creative director and screenwriter. Again, why would they balk at giving him rewrites?

Back to the Future is one of my favorite trilogies of all time, so I admit I'm a little biased. I also love Roger Rabbit and Forrest Gump, so yeah, a little biased.

If they want to start production this year or likely early next year they need a script. And tbh a rewrite can't even happen until the strike is over, and it starts next month. And who knows how long it's gonna be.

Only choice they have is going all in on their current script or delaying it quite a while for zemeckis

Anyways BTTF and Contact are his best movies. Can't say I cared much for what he's made this century though aside from cast away. But he prolly could make a pretty cool superhero movie

Bttf trilogy has like one classic movie, one ok movie and a crap film. Don't really consider it a trilogy honestly as I've rewatched the first so many times and rarely ever bother with the sequel

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
If they want to start production this year or likely early next year they need a script. And tbh a rewrite can't even happen until the strike is over, and it starts next month. And who knows how long it's gonna be.

Only choice they have is going all in on their current script or delaying it quite a while for zemeckis

Anyways BTTF and Contact are his best movies. Can't say I cared much for what he's made this century though aside from cast away. But he prolly could make a pretty cool superhero movie

Bttf trilogy has like one classic movie, one ok movie and a crap film. Don't really consider it a trilogy honestly as I've rewatched the first so many times and rarely ever bother with the sequel

True about the strike, but why can't Flash be delayed again? Is there a reason we just GOT to have a Flash movie now beyond just, "well, we WANT it now!" The future DC slate is what? Wonder Woman, Justice League, and Batman? Green Lantern Corps? I think? If they want to buy time, why not focus on the JL roster that will no doubt be underutilized, like Cyborg or Aquaman? Maybe set up a potential future Justice Leaguer like Hawkman or The Atom or Plastic Man? I don't see why The Flash must have a solo film in the next year or two. The DC universe is massive. They could buy some time if they wanted. You'd think by this point they'd stop counting their chickens before they're hatched. I wonder if they've even considered if this iteration of Barry Allen is one that will resonate with audiences enough that they'd want to see a solo movie with him in it. Grant Gustin has been doing a great job as the character on TV, and Ezra Miller hasn't even appeared in Justice League yet. I personally think he'll do fine, but building a solo film franchise around him this early, especially when the last three films in this shared universe haven't been met with open arms...eh. I think most of us Flash fans can wait a little longer for a Flash film if it means we get a quality film.

Can't say I agree about the BttF trilogy though. Part 1 is brilliant, Part 2 is very very good, and Part 3 is a fun, if imperfect flick, but overall a solid end to the trilogy. But hey, opinions and all that. We don't all have to like the same things.

this is ridiculous. WB is one studio who chases well known directors. You are thinking Disney and Marvel who pick people like Collin Trevorrow to make their big franchises.

You can say hiring Snyder was a mistake but guess who they entrusted to pick Snyder? It was Nolan himself.

They also hired Kenneth Branagh, Joss Whedon and Ryan Coogler but hey what are facts

True about the strike, but why can't Flash be delayed again? Is there a reason we just GOT to have a Flash movie now beyond just, "well, we WANT it now!" The future DC slate is what? Wonder Woman, Justice League, and Batman? Green Lantern Corps? I think? If they want to buy time, why not focus on the JL roster that will no doubt be underutilized, like Cyborg or Aquaman? Maybe set up a potential future Justice Leaguer like Hawkman or The Atom or Plastic Man? I don't see why The Flash must have a solo film in the next year or two. The DC universe is massive. They could buy some time if they wanted. You'd think by this point they'd stop counting their chickens before they're hatched. I wonder if they've even considered if this iteration of Barry Allen is one that will resonate with audiences enough that they'd want to see a solo movie with him in it. Grant Gustin has been doing a great job as the character on TV, and Ezra Miller hasn't even appeared in Justice League yet. I personally think he'll do fine, but building a solo film franchise around him this early, especially when the last three films in this shared universe haven't been met with open arms...eh. I think most of us Flash fans can wait a little longer for a Flash film if it means we get a quality film.

Studio probably doesn't care as much about quality as much as cashing in on popularity. Flash is as big now as the character has ever been as far as mainstream recognition goes. On tv, comics doing well, logo everywhere. WB have seen footage of Ezra from Justice League, they know what they've got. It's not an accident the first teaser for Justice League was based around Batman and Flash meeting.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Studio probably doesn't care as much about quality as much as cashing in on popularity. Flash is as big now as the character has ever been as far as mainstream recognition goes. On tv, comics doing well, logo everywhere. WB have seen footage of Ezra from Justice League, they know what they've got. It's not an accident the first teaser for Justice League was based around Batman and Flash meeting.

I understand all of that, but I also think that if WB had any real intention on capitalizing on The Flash's hotness right now, they'd have cast Grant Gustin as Barry in the movies as well, since he clearly has brought in a whole slew of Flash fans. I've been a fan of the Flash since the 80's, when my older sister bought me a Flash action figure when I was 5, so I'm absolutely loving all of this new heat the character is getting, but it just seems weird to try and undercut the hit show by casting a new actor. Again, I think Ezra is going to be great, but I kind of wish he was another one of the Flashes, like Wally, Jay, or even Bart Allen. Nothing that Warner and DC have done have made me think they really have faith in this endeavor, just that they know shared cinematic universes are hot right now, and despite having some fun DC shows that are having a great time with interconnected worlds, they want to slap some billion dollars revenues on the film side of things. Understandable as a business, but they've been sloppy handling it so far.

I just want Barry or Wally, or whichever Flash they want to use to get a good movie, when it's time for him to get a good movie. WB and DC have yet to prove to me that they can make a good movie with their tentpole characters, let alone a good movie with a character not as broadly known as The Flash (although to be honest, the fanboy in me can't imagine how anyone doesn't know who The Flash is, but the truth is, a lot of folks don't know who The Flash is, but the show really changed that for the better). I feel like the show is really stealing the thunder from a Flash movie trilogy, just because so many awesome storylines and characters have already graced the show.

A Flashpoint movie trilogy could be really cool, but I'd kind of use that as a end of Justice League trilogy style story to relaunch a new DC cinematic universe when the time comes.

I really like Zemeckis' older work, but then he had a string of those creepshow CG movies. Of his recent stuff, I've only seen Flight and it was alright. I'd be down for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom