• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Screenshots and gifs of great unported 80s/90s arcade games

Has anyone mentioned all the Hyper Neo Geo 64 games (Buriki One on this page is one of the 7 games on this hardware)? Crazy that SNK decided to go 64-bit.

Beast Buster Second Nightmare. In the same series as Dark Arms on the NGPC. Looks like House of the Dead.
14226501.jpg

bbust2.png

Xtreme Rally. There was also another racing game called Road's Edge.
racintruck.gif

Fatal Fury Wild Ambition made it to the PS1 (you'd thought they'd port it to N64 instead..) but Samurai Showdown 64 got left in the arcades (Warrior's Rage on the PSX was not a port of the arcade game.)

iidesuyo

Dirt Dash from Namco. A Kart racing track in my area had this machine in the mid-90s, it was mindblowing. Like Namco's answer to Sega Rally.

It's sad they never ported it :'(

21137901.jpg

dirtdash_segarally.jpg

1507DE354EF63C8412A540

Thumb_Dirt_Dash_-_1995_-_Namco.jpg

Timu

Hachoo

830649-hachoo-arcade-screenshot-throw-a-enemy-at-the-screen-demo.png
hachoo-arc_throwexample.png
1065_3.png
830650-hachoo-arcade-screenshot-moments-later.png
1181242121331.png
hach-1.png
hach-13.png

I believe this is one of the earliest games that let you throw enemies off to the front of the screen complete with scaling, which you would see in Turtles in Time and such since this game came out in 1989.

Those are pretty impressive looking graphics for a 1989 game. It's easy to forget just how far ahead of home consoles arcades were back then.

Those are pretty impressive looking graphics for a 1989 game. It's easy to forget just how far ahead of home consoles arcades were back then.

That's one of the many reasons why the arcade era was so special. It was like you were transported to the future because the tech was so light years ahead of consoles.

This thread just reminds me of how wonderfully strange and original games used to be in the late 80's and early 90s, especially from Japan.

I sometimes really miss the weirdness. There are of course plenty of "retro" indie games that try to be a throwback to those times but they are way too self aware to really capture the oddity of it all.

I honestly wonder if its something well see again or if its just such a product of the time.

I worked on this game. Around 200 machines went out. You played the sit down version right? We put together a rebalance that was tested in a few socal arcades which really improved the overall experience. I wish we could have sent it out to everyone.

The game really played well and had great physics. You could grab or headbutt smaller enemies, send them airborne, and then catch them with your bite while they were still in the air. I was a fighting game player at the time and loved juggles so this was especially fun. It seems like a few people got a hold of the game and put videos on youtube. Perhaps it will make an appearance on mame.

Every time I wonder if this board is diminishing returns, I find a post like this where a player of a rare arcade game - 200! - from 20 years ago stumbles across one of the developers of said game. Awesome.

This thread in general is great.

Top Bottom