• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scribblenauts Preview/Impressions Thread - You will say "wow." (see post #217)

iratA

I may have to splash out on a DS for this. Some of these videos are just incredible. I could see this being one of those rare games that I keep coming back to for years. This is going to review well, you can see it.

Lovechild

Neo Member
Oh, bells yeah! About friggin time!
I joined neogaf for this thread and has been clicking the "post reply" button a couple a' times per day for the last two months, hoping for my account to have been approved by the higher powers. Now, suddenly the day has come! But, what do I want to write..?

(Sorry for the pointless bump.)

toonhead2

Neo Member
Lovechild said:
Oh, bells yeah! About friggin time!
I joined neogaf for this thread and has been clicking the "post reply" button a couple a' times per day for the last two months, hoping for my account to have been approved by the higher powers. Now, suddenly the day has come! But, what do I want to write..?

(Sorry for the pointless bump.)

Same here. I guess when we get some new material the discussion would get rolling again.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Jackson said:
E-E10+ is only a minor difference really, so no big deal. It just means someone under 10 can't buy the game themselves, which they probably shouldn't be anyway. If an 8 year old kid is walking into a game store with a wad full of cash without his folks, there's bigger problems that need sorting out. :lol

The ESRB was very accommodating with trying to rate a game like Scribblenauts.

Honestly it doesn't mean anything. The only time somebody is restricted from buying a game is if it's rated M. A 6-year-old could buy a T rated game if they had the cash.

Plus, I don't think I've ever seen a parent deny a kid an E10 game in the 2 and a half years I've worked in video game retail.

SmellyWaffles

Neo Member
Hey, another dedicated junior member whose account finally got accepted here :D

Jackson, I've been wondering for a while about the merit system, because from what I can tell a huge amount of the replay value will involve trying to get them. Do they affect the Ollar amount you get for each level (i.e. the "style" score) or are they unrelated? And am I right in assuming that you can't get a merit twice on the same level? That is, merits are only awarded the first time you complete a level under the appropriate conditions? If so, is there a listing somewhere inside the game of all the merits you've gotten thus far for each level? What I'm getting at is that even after you've beaten challenge mode and completed every level four times, there's should be the ADDITIONAL replay value of trying to make up solutions that satisfy every merit requirement. As in, ~100 merits for 220 levels = 2200 merits to obtain. That would be cool beyond words.

EDIT: I fail at math. Make that 22,000 merits.

3roam

Neo Member
Cant wait for this game, going to pre-order it in a few weeks!!!
Just got my new shiny DSi for this :D

Good work 5th Cell, keep up the good work, I have loved all your games so far.
I also love that the GAF logo is in :D

AllenMS828

Neo Member
<insert requisite I'm-a-newbie-because-of-Scribblenauts disclaimer/intro here> :lol

After we got confirmation that the Starites can actually be destroyed, I got to thinking: "Wouldn't it be neat if different Starites were made of different materials?" Then they'd behave differently, depending on the properties of the material they were made of. That, in turn, could affect how you solve the puzzle at hand.

So for example, in stage 10-6, if the Starite was made of paper, it'd obviously burn on contact with the lava. But since it's lighter, it could float downwards, giving you more time to catch it, and maybe it could even be lifted up with a puff of air or something.

On the other hand, if it was made of metal, it might have more resistance to burning, but it would fall quickly from the cage and would be hot to the touch. Still, maybe you'd be able to use some tongs or something to retrieve it from the lava.

I think that would be a neat way to affect the challenge and replayability of the levels. Maybe sometimes it'd be a random material. Or it could be preset, but it'd change each time you solve the puzzle (for the second and third attempts at unique solutions).

That doesn't seem to be something that's in the game currently, and it's probably too late to add it (even though it could use the same attributes that are already attached to other objects). But maybe it's something that could be considered for the inevitable sequel. What do you guys think?

Fidelis Hodie

Infidelis Cras
So, I love this game and I'm going to make all 5 DS wielding members of my family buy it. If they don't, I'll buy it for them, nail them to a chair and watch them enjoy it.

That's just how awesome the game seems. What happens when I get to see how awesome it really is?

Found some videos of people solving 10-6. Turns out it's the simplest level ever.

YOU CAN SIMPLY OPEN THE CAGE! Look at the 2nd video

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=219809#

This thing can seriously be solved with 1 item.

edit: I don't mean to say the level itself is simple, but once you use your imagination (and think of REAL LIFE solutions) the entire thing just comes together. I can't believe I overthought this thing!

GDGF

Soothsayer
SirPenguin said:
Found some videos of people solving 10-6. Turns out it's the simplest level ever.

edit: I don't mean to say the level itself is simple, but once you use your imagination (and think of REAL LIFE solutions) the entire thing just comes together. I can't believe I overthought this thing!

Those are some of the coolest videos yet!

I'm actually quitting the blog I kept running on Scribblenauts stuff because learning 10-6's obvious solution is making me realizing I am horribly spoiling myself. I'm going on a self-imposed media and news blackout.

Goodnight, sweet Scribblenauts

zagman505

Neo Member
I was going to go on a media blackout of Scribblenauts, but then I figured that even if I saw other people's solutions for levels, that would ultimately only make the game more fun and challenging for myself later, because I would force myself to try and solve the level without using the solutions I'd already seen. This isn't really a game you can spoil for yourself.

On another note, I have recently purchased a DSi. Scribblenauts and Golden Sun DS ultimately convinced me that I needed to finally buy one.

ombz

SirPenguin said:

The video won't play for me for some reason

n8

Unconfirmed Member
Wow, what a shocker... but all that 10-6 has taught me is the fun me and a couple of buds are going to have trying to solve the most simplest of problems as complex as possible.
We had a good hour just talking about possible ways at 10-6, I'm sure the time is just going to extend itself once we have the game in our hands.

zagman505 said:
I was going to go on a media blackout of Scribblenauts, but then I figured that even if I saw other people's solutions for levels, that would ultimately only make the game more fun and challenging for myself later, because I would force myself to try and solve the level without using the solutions I'd already seen. This isn't really a game you can spoil for yourself.

On another note, I have recently purchased a DSi. Scribblenauts and Golden Sun DS ultimately convinced me that I needed to finally buy one.

Ehh, maybe, but the hilariously easy solution to 10-6 IS a spoiler because it really changes the entire level. I do get what you mean, though.

razdor2k

Banned
Finally! I get to post in this Awesome Thread :D

This thread got my Hyped, im a gamer for more then 10 years already, I was never hyped for a game other then spore, which got me disapointing for ever, I thought i could never Get hyped for another PC game. But, as you see, I got Hyped for a DS game, which I thought will never happen. I'm so happy to be part of this thread :D

BTW i'm the one that Posted the Warner bros. Official release date in the internet First! :lol

KScorp

Their solution is astonishingly simply... Just shows you how having a copy of the game helps you find out what is possible and what isn't. (Unsurprisingly, much more is possible than we expect.)

I hope they fix the "falling into the lava after getting the starite" bug. And the swimming in lava thing.... Honestly, what good is getting something if you end up dieing right after anyway. :lol

Either way, it's all still a preview version, things shall be corrected.

............. I can't wait much longer. GAME HYPE REACHING CRITICAL MASS.

nolan694

Neo Member
Well, I'm new to this whole NeoGAF thing. But after I saw post 217 floating around the webs I simply had to join. And, like many of the junior members, I joined just to be able to be a part of this thread. The game looks amazing.
Day one for me.

Oyashiro

I really can't wait for this game. I haven't purchased a DS game in a long time, but I feel like this one absolutely deserves my money. I might just get a new DSi to go along with it.

Unicorn

SirPenguin said:
I'm actually quitting the blog I kept running on Scribblenauts stuff because learning 10-6's obvious solution is making me realizing I am horribly spoiling myself. I'm going on a self-imposed media and news blackout.

Goodnight, sweet Scribblenauts

Ditto.

Been lurking this thread since page 2.

Too many games I've spoiled and ruined the experience for myself. I don't want this game to follow the same fate, so with that 10-6 vid, I block myself from all new media.

SirPenguin said:

can't believe that everyone was thinking of just breaking the cage when you could simply open it.. talk about overthinking the obvious

KScorp

flipping_heck said:
can't believe that everyone was thinking of just breaking the cage when you could simply open it.. talk about overthinking the obvious

I assumed it was in the cage for a reason, namely making it harder to get to.

dojokun

Banned
Unicorn said:
Ditto.

Been lurking this thread since page 2.

Too many games I've spoiled and ruined the experience for myself. I don't want this game to follow the same fate, so with that 10-6 vid, I block myself from all new media.
So I guess everyone has to starting PMing Unicorn with news about Scribblenauts.

Korey

SirPenguin said:

I didn't realize that the grappling hook was magnetic. Is that something we're supposed to assume or figure out through experience? (Not that I'm saying you couldn't just grapple onto the steel block normally, but from the videos it looks like the intent was that you do use magnetism and that's why the block at the top is metallic)

SmellyWaffles

Neo Member
I don't think the block or the grappling hook are magnetic. It's seems more like the grappling hook lets you grip onto any surface regardless of its shape or composition.

I thought about opening the cage with a key or lockpick, but assumed it wouldn't work because there's no visible lock! Now, if we had the game we would've known you could do that because tapping on the cage shows an "empty" option. There's no way we could have known that based on the limited description.

ombz said:
New videos on ign
I thought the black hole would be more destructive.

Gah! Ok, these will be the last three, I swear!

9-4 is a pretty cool looking level. I like his solution to get rid of the skeletons, haha.

Blackhole was pretty destructive, it just doesn't have that big of a range, which is fine, and probably pretty beneficial to the player.

xfd @ fishing pole 10-6, though. It was so glitchy looking! He could have probably made it if Maxwell didn't decide to spaz out like that. I was hoping at the end he could have fished it out of the lava

Helix Snake

Neo Member
Scribblenauts kinds of reminds me of a 2D version of Garry's Mod, what with the pitting random NPCs against each other to see who'd win, creating contraptions by attaching stuff together, spawning all sorts of different objects with different properties... of course, it looks to be inferior in some ways and superior in others (you can't make as complex contraptions, but you have many more objects and they interact much more dynamically)

Also this game has an actual point. Garry's Mod is delicious sandbox, but it gets stale for those same reasons. Hopefully Scribblenauts has a health mix

Lovechild

Neo Member
I got a funny (the bad funny) feeling from the video interview with Marius Fahlbusch posted on page 68, and I still haven't been able to shake it off. I've tracked this funny feeling down to two statements in the interview, one of which has already been discussed.

1) "20-24 items at the same time in a level in addition to what is already there". This seems very funny since the scribblemeter is filling up really fast in the videos we've seen. One explanation - which I hope to be true - could be that the videos we've seen are from the game demo. And one possible way to "demofy" this game would be to limit the amount of objects allowed simultaneously. However, i imagine 20-24 raving Cthulhus (Cthulhi?) in one level would be pretty hard on the hardware...

2) "The game will appear in 10 lanuages. The european version will be 6 languages, which is english, dutch, french, italian, german, spanish." By "the european version", does he mean 1 single game cartridge that has all these six languages in it? (That's sounds pretty tight..!) If so, I think we can expect the swedish cartridge to also have english..? (I'm swedish, and although I prefer playing games, watching movies and reading books in english and I consider myself a decent english speaker, Scribblenauts is of course best experienced in ones native language since I can't imagine anyone having his/her second language vocabulary being bigger than that in ones mother tongue.) That would be awesome, since I really want to try them both out and Scribblenauts is the perfect vocabulary-tester/trainer. (I really do believe that one of the main reasons we here in Sweden are generally such good english speakers is that we've been playing video games and watching cartoon network since we were kids, in english, being forced to learn it. But once more, I digress...) So. My main concern with this statement number 2: 10 languages? 6 in that "european version". Swedish has been confirmed. That's 7. I believe I've heard confirmation of norwegian language as well. Wich would probably mean one nordic version, as is often the case here, with swedish, norwegian, danish and finnish. So, there's your 10 languages right there. And that's all? I believe I've heard statements about portugese as well..?

What does it all meeeean?

Also, I too am seriously thinking of going on the media black out. But it's hard...

Blizzard

Banned
Lovechild said:
I got a funny (the bad funny) feeling from the video interview with Marius Fahlbusch posted on page 68, and I still haven't been able to shake it off. I've tracked this funny feeling down to two statements in the interview, one of which has already been discussed.
I agree about the large item number mentioned. We're still waiting for Jackson to clear that up, as well as explain his rationale about AVALANCHES. ;0

I almost feel like I should stop watching videos as well. Some of the levels probably will have a trick to them in some sense, like opening a box, so I want to save some of that surprise for myself. :D

Jackson

CaVaYeRo said:
I'm meeting Scribblenauts senior designer this week ^^

But I didn't play the game yet!

Mr. Imaginary? :lol Scribblenauts never had a senior designer on the project, just a lead designer and a few designers.

Jackson

SirPenguin said:
xfd @ fishing pole 10-6, though. It was so glitchy looking! He could have probably made it if Maxwell didn't decide to spaz out like that. I was hoping at the end he could have fished it out of the lava

Maxwell wasn't spazzing out, the user told maxwell to run toward the cage while he's attached to a rope in mid air, and didn't tell him to stop. So that's what Maxwell did.

The steel pole didn't attach because the user didn't put glue on it.

toonhead2

Neo Member
There is a new video on gamespot. There is something interesting that happens when a tornado is used in the get the cat off the roof level, at the end. I won't get into detail for those that are in a media blackout.

jrricky

Banned
Jackson said:
Maxwell wasn't spazzing out, the user told maxwell to run toward the cage while he's attached to a rope in mid air, and didn't tell him to stop. So that's what Maxwell did.

Hey Jeremiah, havent heard from you in a while. How's development going? No problems right? I want NO DELAYS!

Jackson said:

Oh really? Rock on, then. Videos can be deceiving!

toonhead2 said:
There is a new video on gamespot. There is something interesting that happens when a tornado is used in the get the cat off the roof level, at the end. I won't get into detail for those that are in a media blackout.

I'm not sure what happens with the whole
cat climbing down the tornado, but XFD @ it destroying the starite (at least, that's what I think happens!). Great touch. I foresee many solutions of mine failing because I go in guns (or torandos?) a-blazin', and end up destroying the starite.

SmellyWaffles

Neo Member
honestly what bothers me is the rope physics. Not necessarily a problem with the physics engine itself, but having a rope made out of four rigid pieces makes it work fairly unlike a real rope and more like a clunky chain. If it was made out of twice as many pieces, it'd make a huge improvement.

Really? I thought the way they implemented it was great. Sometimes it got a little wonky but that's ok. I imagine upping the segment count is a quick way to eat up DS resources. Or so I might imagine.

I was damn impressed with the physics engine in the Edge videos, though. The last video when he's waiting for the rope to stop swinging was great. I forgot I was watching a DS game.

SmellyWaffles

Neo Member
True, I shouldn't be complaining. The physics are great for a DS game, and certainly everything works like it should. The way the rope moves doesn't make the level unplayable or anything.

Top Bottom