• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scribblenauts Preview/Impressions Thread - You will say "wow." (see post #217)

toonhead2

Neo Member
SirPenguin said:
I'm not sure what happens with the whole
cat climbing down the tornado, but XFD @ it destroying the starite (at least, that's what I think happens!). Great touch. I foresee many solutions of mine failing because I go in guns (or torandos?) a-blazin', and end up destroying the starite.

The starite getting
destroyed by the tornado is a good assumption, but I was thinking of the girl getting wiped out by the tornado at the last second caused the failure, nonetheless thats what I wanted to point out. This kind of thing will most likely happen in a puzzle than action level.

As for the physics, it looks great.

xfactor

Banned
Lovechild said:
2) "The game will appear in 10 lanuages. The european version will be 6 languages, which is english, dutch, french, italian, german, spanish." By "the european version", does he mean 1 single game cartridge that has all these six languages in it? (That's sounds pretty tight..!) If so, I think we can expect the swedish cartridge to also have english..? (I'm swedish, and although I prefer playing games, watching movies and reading books in english and I consider myself a decent english speaker, Scribblenauts is of course best experienced in ones native language since I can't imagine anyone having his/her second language vocabulary being bigger than that in ones mother tongue.) That would be awesome, since I really want to try them both out and Scribblenauts is the perfect vocabulary-tester/trainer. (I really do believe that one of the main reasons we here in Sweden are generally such good english speakers is that we've been playing video games and watching cartoon network since we were kids, in english, being forced to learn it. But once more, I digress...) So. My main concern with this statement number 2: 10 languages? 6 in that "european version". Swedish has been confirmed. That's 7. I believe I've heard confirmation of norwegian language as well. Wich would probably mean one nordic version, as is often the case here, with swedish, norwegian, danish and finnish. So, there's your 10 languages right there. And that's all? I believe I've heard statements about portugese as well..?

I believe it was mentioned earlier in this thread that the English version will have multiple languages. Not sure what other languages though

razdor2k

Banned
I don't think the USA version will have multiply language, and I don't see any reason it will be with any other language, but the Euro version should be 5 multi-lang atleast, or even more

razdor2k said:
I don't think the USA version will have multiply language, and I don't see any reason it will be with any other language, but the Euro version should be 5 multi-lang atleast, or even more

Spanish is a very common language in the US. o.o

Unicorn

Yeah, but typically our games in Ah-murr-i-cah only speak American, because all the other languages can't suck on our big, fat nukes!

Either learn to speak my words, or get the fuck off my land.

Other countries are far more accepting to other languages, but scribblenauts continues to amaze left and right, so adding more languages to the American version would be a nice bonus.

razdor2k

Banned
Some forums and blogs are asking what is the fastest thing in the game, and most of the people are saying that there is no Speed element in this game, and of course, they are wrong!

Why are wrong you ask?
Simple!

Even normal AI/NPCs are not moving/running/flying/swimming as they would in reality. though there is a thing that is the fastest thing in that game.

That thing is obvious after you first listen to My theory, even that its not mine, its Professor's theory.

So the fastest thing name is : Time Machine.

Whoa? didn't expected that? you should have!

Time traveling is based on a ultimate speed and because of this speed your creating Time traveling. because your moving faster then our Star-Planet as known as Earth.

So what do you say? there is no speed element in this game?

CaVaYeRo

Jackson said:
Mr. Imaginary? :lol Scribblenauts never had a senior designer on the project, just a lead designer and a few designers.

Where is the joke? Elizabeth England is listed as 5th Cell Senior designer at the event I'm going to meet her. Is it better now? ¬¬

She's "a fundamental piece of the design team. She's in charge of managing the Objectnaut", which is the tool used to coordinate the different developments on the team.

Unicorn said:
Yeah, but typically our games in Ah-murr-i-cah only speak American, because all the other languages can't suck on our big, fat nukes!

Either learn to speak my words, or get the fuck off my land.

Other countries are far more accepting to other languages, but scribblenauts continues to amaze left and right, so adding more languages to the American version would be a nice bonus.

:lol , did you learn your world views from a bunch of Sophomores in highschool? Unless this is some metatrolling which is going over my head!

Anyways,

http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2009/06/scribblenauts/

As if 10,000 words in the English language weren’t enough for the developers to deal with, Gavoni revealed that the North American build of the game will include Brazilian Portugeuse, French, and Spanish as well as English. The French and Spanish language sets will also have Latin American and French-Canadian alternative

Orpheon

Banned
razdor2k said:
Some forums and blogs are asking what is the fastest thing in the game, and most of the people are saying that there is no Speed element in this game, and of course, they are wrong!

Why are wrong you ask?
Simple!

Even normal AI/NPCs are not moving/running/flying/swimming as they would in reality. though there is a thing that is the fastest thing in that game.

That thing is obvious after you first listen to My theory, even that its not mine, its Professor's theory.

So the fastest thing name is : Time Machine.

Whoa? didn't expected that? you should have!

Time traveling is based on a ultimate speed and because of this speed your creating Time traveling. because your moving faster then our Star-Planet as known as Earth.

So what do you say? there is no speed element in this game?
I'd be careful with time-travelling and speed. Einstein's Theory of Relativity wasn't just developed to explain why the chicken crossed the road you know . . .

In terms of observable speed - I'd hazard a guess and say that a rocket would travel just as fast as an airplane would in the game. There'll most-likely be a group of speeds which the objects would fall into - again, this is coming back to the attribute setting for each object type. A Vehicle will have some observable speed. A Vehicle in Air would be in a Class faster than a Vehicle on Ground, for example.

xfactor

Banned
CaVaYeRo said:
Where is the joke? Elizabeth England is listed as 5th Cell Senior designer at the event I'm going to meet her. Is it better now? ¬¬

She's "a fundamental piece of the design team. She's in charge of managing the Objectnaut", which is the tool used to coordinate the different developments on the team.

Correct me if I am wrong, but in this case then technically speaking, she's a senior designer in the company who helps with the objectnaut for scribblenauts, but she isn't the senior designer of the Scribblenauts project itself.

Its like grouping a bunch of senior designers (from other projects) for a big project, but the boss appointed a guy to be a senior designer. In this case, he's the senior designer post for that big project and not the rest even if they are senior designers for other projects.

CaVaYeRo

yes, it's something like that, sorry for the first misunderstanding. Senior for the company, designer for the game in charge of that tool. That's the correction, but not imaginary at all! :lol

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Hey, was I the only one who was getting really wigged out videos on that "Computer and Video games" page? It was in black and white, and skewed diagonally and stuff. *shrug*

In that Gamespot video though, it really hits home that for all the wacky stuff in here like Cthulhu and Kraken, there are a thousand times more mundane items like Jumper Cables that work just like they should. Can't wait!

GDGF

Soothsayer
ombz said:
New videos on ign
I thought the black hole would be more destructive.

The monster he summoned looked like one of the monsters from Where The Wild Things Are. That was freaking awesome.

A Link to the Snitch said:
Spanish is a very common language in the US. o.o

True that. You put Spanish on the NA version and you've guaranteed yourself a shit ton of additional sales.

n8

Unconfirmed Member
Oh yeah, if that 20-24 items at one time is true, I'll be making plenty of par 0 levels (if that's possible). Start the level with everything you need to complete the level. It would be like having MacGyver: The Video Game.

Puffles

Banned
Nachkebia said:

The physics are a bit too rigid sometimes - it's nowhere near as much fun to beat a level by lucking through it thanks to a physics spasm, accidentally bouncing a girl into a pond with a wall, as it is to implement an elegant outcome, finding a way to divert her ascent up off the diving board deliberately. As the difficulty increases, 5th Cell also introduces more fiendish level designs. There's a Starite in an ice block suspended over lava, with an unavoidable trip-switch preventing you reaching it before it falls; later there's an underground level where you have to contend with big gaps as well as total darkness to lead a boy back to his father. You could do with more hints in these situations, and you might discover control quirks kill you off unexpectedly. For instance, instead of climbing a ladder and hopping onto the next platform, Maxwell sometimes falls into the pixel-wide gap between it and the ledge until you go back and forensically reposition it. It would also be nice to stop the camera resetting to Maxwell after a few seconds of inactivity - sometimes you just want to stare at a setup on the other side of the level and ponder it.

But as the novelty wears off 5th Cell will need to answer with levels that up the ante without bamboozling you completely, and it won't be possible to tell whether it's done that until we see the other worlds in full, which we should do closer to the game's 25th September release.

That preview was refreshingly honest. It's nice to read something that acknowledges the game's weakpoints, rather than just pointing out how amazing the game is over and over.

This is the first constructive criticism of the game I've ever come across. (Jackson, take note of it! It'll probably prove very helpful when you're tweaking the game.)

Ramma2

Paid off my preorder last week, and I'm really looking forward to playing this game with my 7 year old son and seeing how we tackle the levels differently. I think it will be good for his problem solving skills, and spelling too!

Blizzard

Banned
Puffles said:
That preview was refreshingly honest. It's nice to read something that acknowledges the game's weakpoints, rather than just pointing out how amazing the game is over and over.

This is the first constructive criticism of the game I've ever come across. (Jackson, take note of it! It'll probably prove very helpful when you're tweaking the game.)
I still feel like the game may be finalized by now, but I'd be happy to be proven wrong, or to find out the preview versions didn't have all the final words.

I'm guessing that like they said, the touchscreen controls may be one of the weaknesses at times. It might have been nice to allow people to use the d-pad to control maxwell at times, or maybe use one of the other DS buttons for stuff like jumping, or temporarily pausing a level so someone could look at the other side and think how they'd want to do something.

Actually, I thought the d-pad already scrolled the level so you could look at the other side. Did that not work for the reviewers, or did they want to pause with Maxwell in midair or without running the time out?

*edit* Awesome, the hate parade begins :)P), and it looks like they also used those Edge Online videos everyone has been posting? If they're really the Edge Online attempts from twitter suggestions, it might be worth pointing out that the testers were enjoying a delicious pint while testing. ;) But seriously, again with the controls, that may very well be an issue. You can't hold the DS cursor on a magic carpet to make it hover and fly if you're also trying to get Maxwell to walk over and jump on the carpet I guess...

SmellyWaffles

Neo Member
Yeah, I saw that dailynintendo preview... scathing! But I still have severe doubts that the Edge Magazine videos are accurate. They said that there was an issue with their system's touchscreen sensitivity, which is also why they were putting monocles on Maxwell (apparently it was easier than just tapping the top hat). I don't know if this is an issue with the game itself or just the DS system they were using, but I'm hoping for the latter.

Edit: The pterodactyl video is an especially bad video to use as an example, and here's why: They could have easy flown on top of the box using the wings, then summoned an axe and chopped it apart. However, they were trying to follow the original suggestion, which was to land on the plank on the pterodactyl instead. (I forget who submitted it, but they probably made the logical assumption, like many of us, that falling in the lava caused you to lose.)

...at least, that's what it looks like.

Blizzard

Banned
The other thing I'd say is that (as far as I know, maybe I'm wrong), Edge Online didn't complain that the gameplay was terrible, and they were the ones trying hundreds of solutions. That review that was scathing was only based on watching videos, while pretty much every impression that I've seen from people (such as a few posters here) who have played the game at actual conferences has been good. People say stuff like "it really does feel like magic in your hands".

So, I expect myself to pout over words that aren't in it, or gripe about "avalanche", or interactions that don't work, or touchscreen helicopter flying controls, but I'm not too worried about the overall gameplay being bad. People have already been trying it.

ombz

Blizzard said:
The other thing I'd say is that (as far as I know, maybe I'm wrong), Edge Online didn't complain that the gameplay was terrible, and they were the ones trying hundreds of solutions. That review that was scathing was only based on watching videos, while pretty much every impression that I've seen from people (such as a few posters here) who have played the game at actual conferences has been good. People say stuff like "it really does feel like magic in your hands".

So, I expect myself to pout over words that aren't in it, or gripe about "avalanche", or interactions that don't work, or touchscreen helicopter flying controls, but I'm not too worried about the overall gameplay being bad. People have already been trying it.

The only opinion that really matters is yours; we'll all have to wait until we actually play the games ourselves.

DR2K said:
Closer to the border, yes. Not as common in most states.

Michigan says hi. Or whatever they say instead of "hi". As a south american in here working in a hospital, I can tell you there's enough spanish people here to need a 24/7 hotline for patients AND bilingual speakers on every floor. And Chicago is filled to the rim with spanish speakers. It would truly be a disservice to omit that population. Plus I wanna show this game to my spanish speaking friends and family.

I think their concerns are legitimate. I agree with Eurogamer in particular that it's not very fun to "luck" your way to a solution. However, having said that, what's the alternative? The DS isn't a gigantic powerhouse. It's either we get "fake" physics or more refined physics at the cost of performance or, god forbid, resources.

I think it's a happy medium. Sometimes things will be wonky or goofy. I remember one video showing Maxwell jumping off a ramp on a skateboard and then clipping through the ground. But it's really not that big of a deal in the end.

Then again, maybe that's just me, and maybe for some people it'll be a gamebreaker. Who knows? I guess we just need our hands on it. Right now!

Blizzard

Banned
malingenie said:
Michigan says hi. Or whatever they say instead of "hi". As a south american in here working in a hospital, I can tell you there's enough spanish people here to need a 24/7 hotline for patients AND bilingual speakers on every floor. And Chicago is filled to the rim with spanish speakers. It would truly be a disservice to omit that population. Plus I wanna show this game to my spanish speaking friends and family.
Whatever your reasons may be, you and Unicorn can calm down. I'll quote what was quoted earlier, again:

As if 10,000 words in the English language weren’t enough for the developers to deal with, Gavoni revealed that the North American build of the game will include Brazilian Portugeuse, French, and Spanish as well as English. The French and Spanish language sets will also have Latin American and French-Canadian alternative
I'm pretty sure that has been confirmed once or twice, and Jackson might have even commented on it in this thread.

toonhead2

Neo Member
SmellyWaffles said:
Yeah, I saw that dailynintendo preview... scathing! But I still have severe doubts that the Edge Magazine videos are accurate. They said that there was an issue with their system's touchscreen sensitivity, which is also why they were putting monocles on Maxwell (apparently it was easier than just tapping the top hat). I don't know if this is an issue with the game itself or just the DS system they were using, but I'm hoping for the latter.

Edit: The pterodactyl video is an especially bad video to use as an example, and here's why: They could have easy flown on top of the box using the wings, then summoned an axe and chopped it apart. However, they were trying to follow the original suggestion, which was to land on the plank on the pterodactyl instead. (I forget who submitted it, but they probably made the logical assumption, like many of us, that falling in the lava caused you to lose.)

I was thinking the same thing about their touchscreen. I really didn't see any major flaws with the videos. The pterodactyl idea did work before correct? It seems that switching head items just delayed the timing for flight of the jetpack and the magic carpet. You can also see that the magic carpet got burn from the lava, hence Maxwell didn't reach the top of the cage.

weeman_com

Neo Member
I have some ideas for Scribblenauts fan art but i wish i had the skill to recreate them!

These were, The image of Miyamoto with the balaclava over half his face. Remember the "kidnapping" employees from GDC?
Brick Tamland with with tridant spear from anchorman, maybe the rest of the anchorman cast also.
A pint of Guinness - simple but i do love my guinness!

The Technomancer

In every other video I've seen, the only control flaws seem to be Maxwell's at times floaty movement. The fact that it was just the Edge videos makes me think it could be a touchscreen issue. I mean, the way that magic carpet just flopped into the lava? I don't think 5th Cell would overlook issues like that which would clearly show up in testing.

Unicorn

n8BitMan said:
Oh yeah, if that 20-24 items at one time is true, I'll be making plenty of par 0 levels (if that's possible). Start the level with everything you need to complete the level. It would be like having MacGyver: The Video Game.

That's brilliant! I can't wait to get your friendcode!

From what I gather some flying items - and maybe all of them - do not provide indefinite flight. It seems more like they provide a way to jump really high, hover in the air a bit, then they drop at a slow arc. Sort of like a Mario flight item.

I would imagine this is a design choice. Perhaps a magic carpet is more maneuverable then, say, a helicopter, but the helicopter can stay in the air longer. From what I gathered from the Edge videos it's like they didn't know this, and they weren't very good at timing it all correctly.

KScorp

SmellyWaffles said:

I made two assumptions: 1) Gravity would work like it's supposed to and when the cage breaks, the starite would fall, not magically teleport above the cage. (As seen in the Termite video. Clearly, the starite does this because it does that when the cage is opened, and breaking the cage initiates the same code. This should be considered a bug.)
2) As you said, I assumed you would need to be in a secure position to actually GET the starite, and that falling in lava afterwards would result in a loss.

Maxwell can also swim in the lava, for whatever reason.

WowBaby

Finally...I've been lurking in the corners waiting to be able to post. This has got to be one of the most referenced game threads on the net.
Congratulations (albeit belated) to Jackson--er-MR. JACKSON and the rest of 5th Cell for your incredible work. Just so you know I've earned the right to post here. I have pre-ordered 5 copies of Scribblenauts. Two for me because I'm don't want others trying their solutions on my cartridge.

jdogmoney

WowBaby said:
Finally...I've been lurking in the corners waiting to be able to post. This has got to be one of the most referenced game threads on the net.
Congratulations (albeit belated) to Jackson--er-MR. JACKSON and the rest of 5th Cell for your incredible work. Just so you know I've earned the right to post here. I have pre-ordered 5 copies of Scribblenauts. Two for me because I'm don't want others trying their solutions on my cartridge.

Er...why?

There's no penalty for trying, is there?

Feep

Banned
razdor2k said:
JACKSON! i got an answer, is there going to be more then 1 Profile in this game? its really needed. please answer!
(sigh) Juniors.

One profile only.

Edit: I'm an idiot. Two profiles.

razdor2k

Banned
Feep said:
(sigh) Juniors.

One profile only.

You saw that in E3?

Because alot people would like more then 1 profile, so friends can try the game, and not ruining the owner's ( my ) saves. ;D

will you let Jackson answer? :p

Unicorn

Hey man, don't oppose the Feep. He'll fucking stomp you like you're a robot zombie while he's atop his motherfucking dinosaur

BlisterBrown

Neo Member
razdor2k said:
You saw that in E3?

Because alot people would like more then 1 profile, so friends can try the game, and not ruining the owner's ( my ) saves. ;D

will you let Jackson answer? :p
Games already filled to the brim as it is, having a second/third profile is just to much for the lil' old DS.

razdor2k

Banned
But they did have two profiles to Lock's quest, and 2/3 for Drawn to life, thats why im asking, i don't know if it possible for the DS to load this whole game and store 2 profiles of this at one DS...

MNC

KScorp said:
I made two assumptions: 1) Gravity would work like it's supposed to and when the cage breaks, the starite would fall, not magically teleport above the cage. (As seen in the Termite video. Clearly, the starite does this because it does that when the cage is opened, and breaking the cage initiates the same code. This should be considered a bug.)
2) As you said, I assumed you would need to be in a secure position to actually GET the starite, and that falling in lava afterwards would result in a loss.

Maxwell can also swim in the lava, for whatever reason.
If you get the starite, then fall, it's counted as a win. It's in 1 of the videos.

BlisterBrown

Neo Member
razdor2k said:
But they did have two profiles to Lock's quest, and 2/3 for Drawn to life, thats why im asking, i don't know if it possible for the DS to load this whole game and store 2 profiles of this at one DS...
Last time I checked, Drawn to Life =/= Scribblenauts. Scribblenauts has tens of thousands of objects that interact with each other, and that takes up alot of space. All those objects mean they have to cut corners somewhere, hence separate profiles getting axed.

MNC

BlisterBrown said:
Last time I checked, Drawn to Life =/= Scribblenauts. Scribblenauts has tens of thousands of objects that interact with each other, and that takes up alot of space. All those objects mean they have to cut corners somewhere, hence separate profiles getting axed.
It doesn't mean alot, I mean, the savegames share the same dictionary. All a savegame contains is some number codes that together mean which level a user has unlocked.

The Technomancer

I thought in one of the E3 videos I saw them selecting from one of two profiles at one point. It was in one of the interviews with Jackson, I'm pretty sure.

Top Bottom