• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scribblenauts Preview/Impressions Thread - You will say "wow." (see post #217)

SmellyWaffles said:
Yep. And one of the screenshots for the German version of the game showed the hint for that level. It translates to "for massive damage!" XD
I love this game. Not sure how someone outside of internet forums would deal with that level, though.

SmellyWaffles

Neo Member
They'd figure out pretty quick that you're supposed to defeat the Crab... whether or not you have to flip him over first is yet to be determined :lol

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
...helibackpack is a word? Sweetness. I just think of that scene from the Woody Allen movie Sleeper
"stupid, cheap japanese flying machine....fly dang you!"

madmook

The medusa head turned that centaur into stone for like 3 seconds.... what's up with that?

But I loved the "help the patient see" one where he used a sniper rifle. :lol

Did anyone see the video where they conjure a blackhole and it eats the starite? I think it's from IGN.

Man, I need to get a game just to take my mind off of Scribblenauts!

KScorp

madmook said:
The medusa head turned that centaur into stone for like 3 seconds.... what's up with that?
In Greek mythology, there was one hero, Perseus, who cut off Medusa's head. He could then use the head to turn enemies to stone.

I'm amazed how deep this game goes. It never ceases to amaze me.

Puffles

Banned
Lovechild said:
And I want to know why the hotspot Maxwell isn't turned to stone by Medusa's gaze. The collision detection goshdarnit!!!

Look closely. When he's attacking her, you can see that she's making a >.< face. Her eyes are closed, which obviously means that she's not gazing at him.

BlisterBrown

Neo Member
toonhead2 said:
Scribblenauts_031.jpg
Well hot damn, I guess Jackson wasn't lieing about the bazooka toting elephant in that Nintendo Power interview. Can this game get any better? :lol

RocketDarkness said:
Is...is that an elephant with a bazooka attached to his trunk?!

"at one point there was a glitch that allowed two bunnies to multiple infinitly until the game crashed and another error that allowed an elephant pick up a bazooka with its trunk and fire it madly"
-from Nintendo Power #243

Hmm I wonder if 5th Cell called it an error or emergent game play.. calling it an error implies it will be taken out of the final build.

I'm hoping that this picture confirms that this is still in the game, although it could be taken with the glitch still in the code. Anyone know where this picture came from?

SmokingBarrelX said:
Do you think if you combine Shark + Laser Beam, you can get sharks with frickin laser beams attached to their forehead a la Austin Powers?

There are videos of people gluing planks to pterodactyls heads, so a laser on a shark isn't out of the question.

toonhead2

Neo Member
sw33tclyde said:
"at one point there was a glitch that allowed two bunnies to multiple infinitly until the game crashed and another error that allowed an elephant pick up a bazooka with its trunk and fire it madly"
-from Nintendo Power #243

Hmm I wonder if 5th Cell called it an error or emergent game play.. calling it an error implies it will be taken out of the final build.

I'm hoping that this picture confirms that this is still in the game, although it could be taken with the glitch still in the code. Anyone know where this picture came from?

Well I remember Miah stating in a ******* interview before the Nintendo Power article, that the elephant with the bazooka was a cool moment he experienced. It didn't sound like a problem unlike the bunny situation.

Lovechild

Neo Member
Puffles said:
Look closely. When he's attacking her, you can see that she's making a >.< face. Her eyes are closed, which obviously means that she's not gazing at him.
By the beard of Zeus! You are not wrong!

SmokingBarrelX said:
Do you think if you combine Shark + Laser Beam, you can get sharks with frickin laser beams attached to their forehead a la Austin Powers?
I'm pretty sure that was actually confirmed way back when. Ah, the good old days... When the world was young and so was I and we had just heard about this strange little game incorporating some sort of magic to let you spawn all the items you can thing of in your handheld little funmachine. Yep, those were the days.

Blizzard

Banned
Unicorn said:
I think madmook is implying "Why was it ONLY 3 seconds" as in, how can that be helpful at all?
I think an earlier video showed Medusa turning people to stone, and I would guess they might have only made it a temporary effect so trying to fight her wouldn't be too frustrating.

If you want realism, play Nethack. :lol
I think I've instakilled my self, ending the game, at least ONCE that way...climbing up the stairs after Medusa somehow had been awoken, and not having a blindfold on. I think I've also climbed those stairs without a blindfold and nearly had a heart attack (in real life, not the game) when I saw her, but fortunately she was still asleep. :p

GDGF

Soothsayer
Blizzard said:
I think an earlier video showed Medusa turning people to stone, and I would guess they might have only made it a temporary effect so trying to fight her wouldn't be too frustrating.

If you want realism, play Nethack. :lol
I think I've instakilled my self, ending the game, at least ONCE that way...climbing up the stairs after Medusa somehow had been awoken, and not having a blindfold on. I think I've also climbed those stairs without a blindfold and nearly had a heart attack (in real life, not the game) when I saw her, but fortunately she was still asleep. :p

You know, a Dungeon Crawler that used Objectnaut would be a great great thing. Hope we see something like that one day, Jackson (if you're out there)!

Unicorn

Yes. Jackson should have the objectnaut licensed out so we can get more games with this amazing technology behind it! A Dungeon Crawler or RPG would be fantastic.

Oneself

Whoa, so many things can spawn out of nowhere. Keyboard cat, Neogaf and a giant enemy crab. Wow.

I wonder if the PSN Update Monkey is in that game.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Ya know, after the all the E3 hype, I was setting myself up to be a tad disappointed. I was telling myself "oh, well, the words won't all work perfectly" and "oh, well, it won't have everything' just to counteract how blitz-out awesome everyone was saying it was. And yet, the videos keep coming, and it keeps looking more and more awesome. I keep waiting for it to get lame and it doesn't!

Blizzard

Banned
Jackson said:
The Neogaf logo actually
flies if you ride it.
Pff, OLD NEWS, we heard Elizabeth England (if I got the name right) demonstrated that! You'll have to pull out something better to impress us, man! ;)

skee

Neo Member
Im buying a DS for this game. Ive been lurking this thread since forever, but over the last few weeks I have gone on black out. I dont want to see a video. I dont want to see a see any pictures (besides the one in the avatar request thread), and I dont want to see a single description. I feel I have been spoiled too much as is.

All I can say from what I HAVE seen, is this is easily my most anticipated title for the foreseeable future. More then SMG2 even, and SMG has practically owned this generation as far as I am concerned. Just at the title screen I can see my self having fun for a good long while with my 5 year old just seeing what we can come up with.

Forkball

Awesome new trailer and game play videos. September 15th can't come fast enough.

Also the time machine flashing is seizure inducing.

Blizzard

Banned
Spayro said:
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/sdcc-09-scribblenauts/53259

probably old, but neogaf's in the video. also keyboard cat. I didn't see anything the last few pages so.. meh.
Why did that fish appear in the sky when he summoned a beaver?

Also, I notice from the suggestions that "tallith" (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/tallith?jss=0) is in the game. VOCABULARY MERIT GET! :D

*edit* I think to answer Feep's question about numerical input, he should try pressing the "ABC" thing on the bottom left.

SmellyWaffles

Neo Member
They skipped ahead to them summoning the beaver for some reason. They got the "Zookeeper" merit because that's awarded for summoning two or more animals.

Blizzard

Banned
After watching, that was a really cute video. If this sort of thing is getting shown on TV, there's a very good chance that this will be popular with kids, and I love that it's actually a game PARENTS CAN PLAY WITH KIDS and one that can actually HELP KIDS LEARN SPELLING AND VOCABULARY! It can even help me learn vocabulary, and if I understand right, I can do something like make a second profile and play through it in Latin American Spanish so I can increase my tiny Spanish vocabulary.

...okay, I'm done being hyper. :D The music is so cute. I don't know why the centaur turned back from stone so quick, though I guess it might have been because the medusa head suddenly vanished. Also the part that surprised me the most about that trailer was the thermal goggles...that was really cool.

xfactor

Banned
This game was tucked in a corner of WB's booth at E3 in last month...

Now Scribblenauts' trailer was one of the trailers that was played throughout the days at the big screen in the middle of the comic-con showfloor. :D

BooJoh

So apparently a GameStop employee told a friend of mine that there is a "Rooster Hat" preorder bonus... what's that all about?

razdor2k

Banned
Btw, about that flying cooldown stuff, yea well, jetpack can really have cooldown. but magic carpet with a cooldown? Wouldn't Aladin have died the first time i tried it? :p

Or what your talking about is taking stuff from lifes and change it to behave in other way in the game itself?

Top Bottom