• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scribblenauts Preview/Impressions Thread - You will say "wow." (see post #217)

toonhead2

Neo Member
SmellyWaffles said:
A couple new videos by the same YouTube account just came out, but let me direct your attention to this one first

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4RHHPU_plw

If you are not blown away by the first 1:15 of this video, you are certifiably insane.

SIIICK!!! I could see this being done in cartoons. I can seriously let my imagination run wild with this game. ......waiting patiently for release.

Blizzard

Banned
b.e.r.g said:
What was is she spawned to be able to use the swordfish?
I'm amazed you could even see or hear what she did. :lol I was going to post to ask what the object was, since even HQ YouTube failed me.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Blizzard said:
I'm amazed you could even see or hear what she did. :lol I was going to post what the object was, since even HQ YouTube failed me.

I had to watch it a few times to make it out, but yeah, she typed in tranqulizer gun. Good eyes I guess :lol

It depends on how warm that hat is. If it can get a guy through a Canadian winter, I'd consider wearing it, because nobody cares what you wear outside in a Canadian winter. I wear a ballaclava on the streets in winter and while I do get some strange looks from time to time, generally it's all good. I wonder if people would give me even stranger looks with that?

At any rate, while it's kinda cool(?), I don't consider the hat an extra incentive to pre-order.

That's odd. There's no mention of Scribblenauts anywhere on the Canadian EBGames page. Not even under "Coming Soon" on the DS page.

Blizzard

Banned
someguyinahat said:
At any rate, while it's kinda cool(?), I don't consider the hat an extra incentive to pre-order.
someguyinahat
(Today, 02:13 AM)
Reply | Quote

SomeGuyInaHat2.jpg

:lol

Forgive me if this has been mentioned already but 3600+ posts is a lot to wade through... I know that there's going to be a level editor included. We can share those via Wifi, right? Seems like a no-brainer but I figured I'd ask anyway. Being able to download random levels and rating them a la Days of Ruin would be kinda cool.

Blizzard

Banned
Little Green Yoda said:
Forgive me if this has been mentioned already but 3600+ posts is a lot to wade through... I know that there's going to be a level editor included. We can share those via Wifi, right? Seems like a no-brainer but I figured I'd ask anyway. Being able to download random levels and rating them a la Days of Ruin would be kinda cool.
You would think that would be a nobrainer, but too often on the Wii or DS that doesn't happen. I don't mean to knock Nintendo, but their online interactivity is often pretty bad. :p In this case though, YES you can share them over the internet, but it's via friend codes. You can only make a small friendcode list, according to Jackson. It would be nice if you could rate levels online or if tons of people could download a single level someone published, but as far as I know, that won't be possible.

Jackson

SirPenguin said:
So I just learned Matt Cox is leaving 5TH Cell. Aside from Miah (and the occasional Marius!) he's the only guy I've seen demoing this game.

http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2009/jul/25/new-interface-game-designer-returning-home-lawrenc/

Thankfully it seems he wasn't laid off or anything. He stepped down to follow a dream of his.

God speed, dude. Thanks for everything you've done.

Ya, Matt is an awesome dude... We're good friends. It's crazy he was here for only 1 game with us, but he felt called to do this and we support him.

He did an excellent job of taking my idea and embracing it and leading his team under me.

Matt also had the most famous desk at 5TH Cell... :lol http://kotaku.com/5069406/drawn-to-life-devs-punk-vacationing-staffer-with-drawn-to-life-desk

Jackson

Puffles said:
Hahaha! Were you personally involved in that at all?
No not at all, it was Elizabeth England (from those Spain videos) and Jeff Luke who came up with that idea and spent time after work wrapping it. :lol Was a great prank.

Sweep

Neo Member
I still have no idea what to make of the fact this is a DS game. I mean, Scribblenauts looks awesome, and it's on a DS, which I would have expected to be perhaps one of the more limiting consoles for a concept of such scope.

But I guess if you can squeeze it all in there, hell yes put it on my DS :D

WowBaby

I've been wondering about the numbers of Scribblenauts copies that will be distributed worldwide at release time. One this comes out and players start showing it around the demand, I'm sure, will increase even more.

b.e.r.g

SirPenguin said:
So I just learned Matt Cox is leaving 5TH Cell. Aside from Miah (and the occasional Marius!) he's the only guy I've seen demoing this game.

http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2009/jul/25/new-interface-game-designer-returning-home-lawrenc/

Thankfully it seems he wasn't laid off or anything. He stepped down to follow a dream of his.

God speed, dude. Thanks for everything you've done.
Happy to see people following their dreams. Also happy to see people knowing their roots. :D

Puffles

Banned
This video has me a little worried about the spell checker. When he types in PITON, it gives POLARITON, POISON, and PRISON, but not PYTHON? And why is POLARITON first? It's the least similar of the three!

Lovechild

Neo Member
Today, Scribblenauts media made me sad.
"Why sad", I hear you ask.
"Well", begins my reply: You remember how fantastic it was when in those first screens we saw it said "STARITE GET"? Well, in the latest videos it says "STARITE FOUND". sadface (with a hint of confusion to it)

ombz

Puffles said:
This video has me a little worried about the spell checker. When he types in PITON, it gives POLARITON, POISON, and PRISON, but not PYTHON? And why is POLARITON first? It's the least similar of the three!
I don't think you'll run into that problem very often.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Sweep said:
I still have no idea what to make of the fact this is a DS game. I mean, Scribblenauts looks awesome, and it's on a DS, which I would have expected to be perhaps one of the more limiting consoles for a concept of such scope.

But I guess if you can squeeze it all in there, hell yes put it on my DS :D

The fact is that it's a limiting console is probably one of the reasons the game could be made. Limits aren't always a bad thing.

Blizzard

Banned
I'm pretty sure SirPenguin is correct about Merit Get.

Puffles said:
POLARITON has five letters in comment with PITON. And yes, piton is a word, and a relatively common object (used in mountain climbing). I didn't notice that in a video, but it's odd if it's not in the game. Oh well. I bugged Jackson enough about Avalanche. :p (maybe hammering in pitons might cause avalanches?)

*edit* http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/piton?jss=0 for reference.

Lovechild

Neo Member
SirPenguin said:
I don't think it ever said Starite Get. It DOES say "Merit Get!" though.

Blizzard said:
I'm pretty sure SirPenguin is correct about Merit Get.

Yeah. After browsing the older images and videos it seems like that's the thing. I got them mixed up. Dang. Ok, so I'm happy again. :D

feel

I'm not an hand-held gamer, but I'm contemplating buying a DS just for this. It just seems like such an amazing game.

razdor2k

Banned
You said your afraid about the spell checker, well, everything in this world have negative stuff and positive stuff, because you said negative thing about it, ill add something positive :D

In one of the newest videos you see people tries to conjure Yardgnome , and it just gives them other word for a gnome that dosent even start with a Y, its just awesome :lol

Ytoabn

Neo Member
I was a bit confused by that video, surprised that Lawn Gnome wasn't in the game. Is it possible Lawn Gnome is trademarked? Also, did someone try Velcro in that video or a similar one? Velcro is a trademarked item too, right?

Top Bottom