• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SD Card and USB C Cord Suggestions for Switch

Minsc

Gold Member
Ah, that makes sense. I saw a USB c cable with power delivery on it. I guess I will only need this cable if the device I'm getting has PD on it?

You're really better off just getting a USB C cable of the length you need, the ones that come with the powerbanks are often really short, like 1.5', vs 3 or 6' ones you buy yourself. Sometimes they'll say not to use the USB C cable that comes with the power bank to charge other devices too, meaning to only use it to recharge the power bank. Maybe just see if your A to C pro controller cable is good enough first, and if not, look in to another quality A to C cable if you only want to carry one (it'd be able to charge the controller and Switch), or a C to C cable, if you don't care about a dedicated one for the Switch (though I guess a C to C cable would also charge a Pro Controller, so probably just go for that at that point, since you have a C output port).

OmahaG8

Awesome - thank you guys for your help.

Gonna roll with the USB A to C that came with the Pro controller and see how it fares.

Dipship31

so wait even if I have a power wall brick and a USB C cord that is charging my system I could still be doing damage?

I bought an Anker wall unit a few days after launch, but I just bought a 10' Insignia USB A-C cord while I was at Best Buy picking up my Switch on launch day. How can I check if that combo is okay?

sadromeo

so wait even if I have a power wall brick and a USB C cord that is charging my system I could still be doing damage?

I bought an Anker wall unit a few days after launch, but I just bought a 10' Insignia USB A-C cord while I was at Best Buy picking up my Switch on launch day. How can I check if that combo is okay?

It should be fine. I have read there are cables/chargers/wall chargers that can or might fry the Switch, but I have yet to hear of an actual case of someone frying their Switch.

I hope it never happens to anyone but if it does, I would hope they would post what charger/cable/wall charger they used as a warning for everyone else.

So... I just noticed this yesterday with my Switch.

I've been charging it using the USB-C to USB-A charger that came with the Pro Controller for a few days. Lately when I plug in headphones while the device is charging (or if it's charging while connected to the TV) I hear some low level static hum (if that's the term), like I can hear electricity coursing through it through the headphones or even my TV speakers.

I should note that I also hear it when the Switch is in the dock, so I'm assuming this is something wrong with my Switch itself.

...Have I fried my console already?

Deepo

I've been charging it using the USB-C to USB-A charger that came with the Pro Controller for a few days. Lately when I plug in headphones while the device is charging (or if it's charging while connected to the TV) I hear some low level static hum (if that's the term), like I can hear electricity coursing through it through the headphones or even my TV speakers.

I should note that I also hear it when the Switch is in the dock, so I'm assuming this is something wrong with my Switch itself.

I hear the same noise through headphones even when not charging.

epicnemesis

I've thrown caution into the wind, using an anker usb c wall charger and a usb c to usb c cable to charge the switch at night. Has worked amazingly well so far. Next test is to use that same cable with my battery pack. I tried the pro controller cable with the battery pack and it worked but was slow as hell on the charge gain. I'll let you know if it blows up if I still have hands.

I haven't seen anyone try this, but I just picked up a RAVPower USB C to C cable, which was on the list of cables that was compliant according to the Google engineer doing all the testing on the cables, and plugged it into my Dell XPS 13 and had pretty good results for charging. I was able to charge about 36% of the battery in about an hour and it used up around 18% of the battery on the Dell XPS 13. I've also tried plugging the AC adapter into the Dell XPS 13 and played Zelda on the Switch and noticed both devices were charging too with the Switch charging fairly briskly in the process.

Here's a link to the cable I bought:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01838Z3UM/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I have an iOrange car charger arriving on Thursday and if that pans out, I think between the two it'll be good enough for an upcoming trip I'm taking until the portable battery chargers are more mature and more widely available.

Minsc

Gold Member

I hear the same noise through headphones even when not charging.

You could try and see if this helps for headphones, it's not ideal in a portability aspect though. I saw elsewhere it solved the buzz/humming noise for other people. Some people also said using different headphones fixed the problem, some headphone cables don't sit as securely as others in it too, so that's another thing to try.

For the docked output, you could maybe try this. I'm not sure if it works, but also saw it suggested, along with possibly moving the plug/Switch to a different outlet, and away from any electronics or cables which could be interfering with it.

Other people think their headphone jack's electric shielding is messed up, but are reluctant to swap their system because of losing all their saved games.

Can't find much else, but I really don't think charging the device from the dock could result in permanent damage to the Switch. More likely it's interference or a hardware defect.

OmahaG8

I've noticed different headphones have different amounts of buzzing or hissing during quiet moments. I bought a headphone amplifier (because the max volume is so painfully low) and naturally it increases the static noise. I think it might come down to the headphone wire itself and how well shielded it is.

When you're charging the Switch it makes sense that the static sound would amplify. I think it's just cheap components in that regard.

Oregano

You could try and see if this helps for headphones, it's not ideal in a portability aspect though. I saw elsewhere it solved the buzz/humming noise for other people. Some people also said using different headphones fixed the problem, some headphone cables don't sit as securely as others in it too, so that's another thing to try.

For the docked output, you could maybe try this. I'm not sure if it works, but also saw it suggested, along with possibly moving the plug/Switch to a different outlet, and away from any electronics or cables which could be interfering with it.

Other people think their headphone jack's electric shielding is messed up, but are reluctant to swap their system because of losing all their saved games.

Can't find much else, but I really don't think charging the device from the dock could result in permanent damage to the Switch. More likely it's interference or a hardware defect.

I had the buzzing with my speakers(but not my headphones) and a cheap noise isolator like the Aukey one you linked fixed it straight away for me.

NONONONO please don't use the nexus 5x charger with your switch, it's not spec compliant, I can't link you the reddit post because I'm ln mobile but a quick Google search will help you find it

Cool, I'm glad I waited for the official adapter to get delivered. Thanks for the heads up for the future though.

I've seen the warnings about using the 6P charger on the Switch, but everything I've seen is relating to the US 2 pin charger. Does anyone know if the same warning applies to the UK 3 pin one as well?

Minsc

Gold Member
I bought a Oittm USB Travel Charger, but it rfuses to charge the Switch. I think I'm using proper C to C cables, an Aukey FR-CB-CD6 and an Anker AK-A8183011.

The charger specs: Type-C PD Charging Port: 29W 14.5V/2A.

Wrong cables? Wrong charger? I specifically sought out one that says PD and has a higher voltage than 5V.

Plugs are trickier than power banks from what I've read. More likely to cause issues anyway. It appears that only outputs 14.5V/2A? Most USB C plugs are capable of outputting all sorts of different combinations, 5V, 9V, 12V, 15V, etc. Not sure if the fact it's 14.5V and not 15V is causing an issue, or if it is because there's nothing to fall back to when 14.5V doesn't work?

At least you can probably use the USB A ports to charge it, but that's my guess on the USB C issue. Amazon should let you return it for free I imagine, if you say it's incompatible. Definitely use a little more caution with the plugs than with power banks... generally I see people recommending to just buy an extra official Nintendo charger for charging from an outlet.

vgamer1

Just used a Samsung phone charger to charge up my switch using the Usb C cable included with the Pro controller.

Charger specs: 2.0A output

It charged from 75% to 100% in about 2 hours. It's slow, but will it damage the system?

Minsc

Gold Member
Just used a Samsung phone charger to charge up my switch using the Usb C cable included with the Pro controller.

Charger specs: 2.0A output

It charged from 75% to 100% in about 2 hours. It's slow, but will it damage the system?

The pro controller cable seems safe, no issues with it other than it being slow (limits to 1.5A I believe). It's USB C output from wall chargers that the majority of concern is for.

The hori car charge will release tomorrow in Germany.

It is this one https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MZAUPD6/?tag=neogaf0e-20

So because it is official licensed it outputs enough electricity to charge the switch while playing?
Also it won't be to much to destroy the battery?

Thanks for the help

Yeah, any licensed charging equipment should obviously be safe, I imagine it needs to be tested to get licensed... I'd hope anyway. It doesn't take much to charge the Switch while playing, just a 5V / 2A charge. I think that outputs up to 5V / 3A iirc, so it should work fine.

Generally the only way to damage a battery is by charging it too fast (even the Quick charge feature used in smart phones like Samsung's Note 4 kills batteries quicker than normal - mine were completely shot after a year with it). So charging it slower is never going to be an issue.

I bought a Oittm USB Travel Charger, but it rfuses to charge the Switch. I think I'm using proper C to C cables, an Aukey FR-CB-CD6 and an Anker AK-A8183011.

The charger specs: Type-C PD Charging Port: 29W 14.5V/2A.

Wrong cables? Wrong charger? I specifically sought out one that says PD and has a higher voltage than 5V.

Interesting. Does it have the below certified logo (or any other USB logo) on the packaging? Searching around for Oittm seems like they are just a webstore on amazon? No company page. Looks a bit dubious at first glance.

Certified_USB_Charger_Logo_Certification_Program_Infographic.jpg

Jelle

Not sure if the fact it's 14.5V and not 15V is causing an issue, or if it is because there's nothing to fall back to when 14.5V doesn't work?
Good point. That might be it.
At least you can probably use the USB A ports to charge it, but that's my guess on the USB C issue. Amazon should let you return it for free I imagine, if you say it's incompatible. Definitely use a little more caution with the plugs than with power banks... generally I see people recommending to just buy an extra official Nintendo charger for charging from an outlet.
White using the A port will probably work, it will likely be very, very slow. The official Nintendo charger still seems the best you can get for the Switch, but it's a little bulky for travel and the cable is permanently attached..
Interesting. Does it have the below certified logo (or any other USB logo) on the packaging? Searching around for Oittm seems like they are just a webstore on amazon? No company page. Looks a bit dubious at first glance.
No such logos. And yeah, it looks like it's one of those Amazon-exclusive companies.

Omerta

Sorry for the really basic question here but... me-no-so-technical...

Can I just use a standard iPhone charger with a USB to USB-c cable?

I'm not bothered about having perfect spec but I want it to be able to charge over night and not make my switch explode.

Am I good?

Deft Beck

Sorry for the really basic question here but... me-no-so-technical...

Can I just use a standard iPhone charger with a USB to USB-c cable?

I'm not bothered about having perfect spec but I want it to be able to charge over night and not make my switch explode.

Am I good?

Yes, but it won't charge very quickly.

There's a good higher-power charger from Motorola that I bought not too long ago that charges the Switch better than an iPhone charger.

tebunker

Banned
So has anyone found a nice charger that will output 19-20 volts? I don't really want to go with the Nintendo option.

Not anything in stock. I spent way too long last night looking for a wall wart that could cover everything I wanted. The recommended ones are put of stock at Amazon right now.

I did, however find a decent looking aukey one that should have enough juice, uses usb pd and has an adapter if you want to use it for older cables too. I just dont want to be the guinea pig on this. I don't mind spending $30-$40 for a product that does more than just charge the switch on the go. I am trying to be very patient about this purchase.

This is the aukey one I am referring too. I think paired with a good c to c cable you should be good to go. But perusing those reddit threads I am not sure if it will work bc no one has tested it.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I went with this charger brick and USB C to USB C cable.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0196JB1ZS/?tag=neogaf0e-20

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01EMINIWW/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I wanted something with one USB C port for Switch/Pro Controller and a few USB A ports for my other charging needs.

Works great, charges the switch (including while playing Zelda) and Pro controller via the 3a USB C port, and the 2.4a ports work fine for my iPad, iPhone etc. Before I had a cheap iClever wall wart with two 2.4a ports. It charged the Switch, but not really while playing Zelda (or too slow for me to notice) and for some reason wouldn't charge the Pro Controller.

The charger isn't USB Power Delivery, but I don't care as I honestly won't use it for Switch that often (just when traveling or rare instances I need to charge while playing portably at home) and since it gives enough to charge while playing Zelda I'm fine.

tebunker

Banned
I went with this charger brick and USB C to USB C cable.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0196JB1ZS/?tag=neogaf0e-20

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01EMINIWW/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I wanted something with one USB C port for Switch/Pro Controller and a few USB A ports for my other charging needs.

Works great, charges the switch (including while playing Zelda) and Pro controller via the 3a USB C port, and the 2.4a ports work fine for my iPad, iPhone etc. Before I had a cheap iClever wall wart with two 2.4a ports. It charged the Switch, but not really while playing Zelda (or too slow for me to notice) and for some reason wouldn't charge the Pro Controller.

Does that charger have usb pd? Or is it just plain usb - c. I was eyeing that one becaus I like the multifunctionality, but I was having trouble confirming feature set.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Does that charger have usb pd? Or is it just plain usb - c. I was eyeing that one becaus I like the multifunctionality, but I was having trouble confirming feature set.

Just plain USB C 3a as far as I can tell. Added that blurb to my original post.

In any case, it charges while playing Zelda. I plugged into check an was at 88% and then looked 10ish minutes later and it was up to 91%.

Deft Beck

Does it charge the Switch at a decent rate while playing something like Zelda? I was eyeballing the 18W Google USB-C Charger but if this works just as well (or close) then I might get it instead.

No idea yet. There's a 30W version of the adapter I mentioned but the wall wart is bigger. Only like $1 more with Prime, though.

harz-marz

Wow, I never realised that charging my Switch could be as complex as this!!

I have been using my Nexus 6P UK 3 pin charger to charge my Switch while using it in bed. Is this safe? I have read conflicting reports!

I am also looking recommendations for a plug that has multiple USB inputs (preferably with a USB C connector) so I can charge my Switch, Nexus 6P and MacBook Pro safely at the same time. Any UK recommendations for plugs/adapters/cables?

Is this ok : https://store.google.com/product/usb_c_dual_port_charger

Thanks!!

atbigelow

Google done fucked up with the Nexus 5X and 6P chargers. Way out of spec to try and hit quick charging goals; didn't want to pay for QC and PD wasn't a thing yet.

Don't use those chargers for anything but your phone.

Top Bottom