• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SD Card and USB C Cord Suggestions for Switch

Dazzler

any input on whether the iPad charging brick would be ok for Switch?

I'd be using the cable that came with the Pro Controller

Glix

Picked up a Jackery Titan S from Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CO8LCP2/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Very very pleased. Can fully charge the switch 2 times from zero, with a bunch of charge left over. Charges the Switch in about 3 hours with both the included A->C cable (smartfit port) and with a C->C cable that I picked up yesterday.

I have not tried the cable that came with the pro yet.

I am very afraid to try the quick charging port because of what I have read online.

The unit itself charges via USB C, and strangely I can charge it using the pro controller cable connected to wall thing, but it will not charge using the Switch AC adapter. Not really a problem, but I thought it was worth noting.

My USB-C Power Meter arrived and I was able to run through various cables, batteries and AC plugs. Comparing what I can to Benson Leung's work and my results are fairly consistent on the Switch to his data, though it is important to note I am not able to replicate his exact method since he has root to the device. Also, I do not have nearly as many cables and plugs so I can only do spot checks. Especially on the cable side. In truth I have a single A-C cable (iOrange-E) and a single C-C cable (Pixel OEM), so keep that in mind.

Someone built a fancy little site around his data here: https://usbccompliant.com/

While the bulk of this data is based around Pixel, I'd argue this is a better jumping off point for choosing your accessories than randomly digging through Amazon or wherever looking for certain voltages or "PD Chargers". At the very least you should use Benson's data as far as the accessories to avoid (ranked in the negatives) while also keeping in mind it is not an exhaustive list of every possible accessory on the market.

sadromeo

My USB-C Power Meter arrived and I was able to run through various cables, batteries and AC plugs. Comparing what I can to Benson Leung's work and my results are fairly consistent on the Switch to his data, though it is important to note I am not able to replicate his exact method since he has root to the device. Also, I do not have nearly as many cables and plugs so I can only do spot checks. Especially on the cable side. In truth I have a single A-C cable (iOrange-E) and a single C-C cable (Pixel OEM), so keep that in mind.

Someone built a fancy little site around his data here: https://usbccompliant.com/

While the bulk of this data is based around Pixel, I'd argue this is a better jumping off point for choosing your accessories than randomly digging through Amazon or wherever looking for certain voltages or "PD Chargers". At the very least you should use Benson's data as far as the accessories to avoid (ranked in the negatives) while also keeping in mind it is not an exhaustive list of every possible accessory on the market.

Thanks for the link!

Dartastic

Sorry if this has been covered already, but this is a large thread and I didn't see this info in the OP.

I have an iPad with one of the little Apple wall plugs. It's not the typical really small straight wall to USB A port, this has some internals in it to charge faster. If I get a USB A to C cable, can that work for charging my Switch? Normally I'd just buy a cable and be done with it, but this thread makes me think otherwise?

Very very pleased. Can fully charge the switch 2 times from zero, with a bunch of charge left over. Charges the Switch in about 3 hours with both the included A->C cable (smartfit port) and with a C->C cable that I picked up yesterday.

I am very afraid to try the quick charging port because of what I have read online.

The unit itself charges via USB C, and strangely I can charge it using the pro controller cable connected to wall thing, but it will not charge using the Switch AC adapter. Not really a problem, but I thought it was worth noting.

Thanks for sharing this! Those results sound really promising. I think this is the one I'll pick up.

Experien

This sounds really promising. Too early to jump in on it at $43?

Glix

Thanks for sharing this! Those results sound really promising. I think this is the one I'll pick up.

The one downside that I may not have been making clear is that it does not come with a wall plug

Comes with the unit, an A->C and an A->Micro USB or whatever its called (the one that most androids use)

I have been charging it via a power strip that I have that has USB ports on it for charging. Made by GE. But yeah, I got it for that $43 sale price and have been very pleased with it at that pricepoint.

Just got a Pro Controller so I figured I'd see how power hungry it is. Nice to have another cable as well for testing.

Everything I threw at it had the exact same result.

5V 0.5A (Closer on average to 5.08V and 0.41A really. So 2 watts.)

So if you are trying to decide between charging your controller with your PD port or something slower just go with the slower one. It won't make a difference and leaves the PD port open for your Switch if needs be. I'm guessing that is why the cable is A-C as well, gives more utlity and C-C isn't needed anyway.

You're awesome! Thanks. Now that I have a Switch and 2 Pixel phones on the way this info will be so helpful to me.

shiyrley

Banned
Just so you know, my Nexus 5X charger just melted the plastic around the phone's charging port.

Seriously, don't plug that shit into the Switch...

Experien

edit: this does work but the USB C it came with doesn't charge my Switch. The Pro controller cable works though.

SOLDIER

I was looking to getting a USB charging cable for my Switch to use at work. I have a USB hub, so all I would need is a compatible cable, right?

I know there are suggested cables in the OP, but I was looking at either of these cheap generic cables:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GGKYO1I/?tag=neogaf0e-20

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00S8GU544/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Any reason I should stick to the slightly pricier recommendations? I figure if it works, it works, unless there's some underlying reason to go with the $10 recommendations.

I was looking to getting a USB charging cable for my Switch to use at work. I have a USB hub, so all I would need is a compatible cable, right?

I know there are suggested cables in the OP, but I was looking at either of these cheap generic cables:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GGKYO1I/?tag=neogaf0e-20

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00S8GU544/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Any reason I should stick to the slightly pricier recommendations? I figure if it works, it works, unless there's some underlying reason to go with the $10 recommendations.

Cable Matters generally ranks fairly low in Leung's ratings although this specific cable was not reviewed so it is unfair to be too harsh on it. (For some reason I have to copy link and paste into a new tab for it to work:) This reviewer claims to have contacted the company and that Leung's problems have been fixed.

The Amazon Basic's cable is USB-IF certified which is a good sign, but also has not been reviewed. Between the two I'd probably lean to this one just because the certification.

chekhonte

For those that haven't used an anker Powerline+ I highly recommend them especially if you're hard on cables.

These things are amazingly resilient. I can't recommend them enough even though they're relatively expensive.

28TL41q.jpg

japtor

Note that the USB hub (if you mean the usual computer hub and not a multi charger brick) might not output enough power to charge while playing, unless it's one of those with a high power charge port.

Just got my Switch and i'm looking to grab a USB-C cable at either my nearby walmart, target, or best buy. Anyone know any store that sells a good brand at an affordable price?

japtor

Just got my Switch and i'm looking to grab a USB-C cable at either my nearby walmart, target, or best buy. Anyone know any store that sells a good brand at an affordable price?
Not really affordable if you just want the cable, but the joycon charging grip comes with one if you happen to want that. And I can confirm it charges the Switch, at least it did off the USB power bricks I have.

Gitaroo

off topic but can someone recommend me some cheap usb c to date+power y cable? Just found out the wiiu does provide enough power for the HDD enclosure I got for it with usb-C

RootCause

The one I'm currently using is slower, and I haven't had any issues. So an increase in speed, on top of all the extra space, at that price seems like a good choice.

So I plan to use the cable I got with my Pro controller and either my Iphone power brick or my Ipad one to charge on the go. Should I avoid one of those or are they both safe?

Not so concerned about playing while charging if that makes a difference.

japtor

So I plan to use the cable I got with my Pro controller and either my Iphone power brick or my Ipad one to charge on the go. Should I avoid one of those or are they both safe?

Not so concerned about playing while charging if that makes a difference.
Assuming it's the same cable they include with the joycon grip it should be fine. (Granted I'm not sure anyone tested it for compliance or anything yet...)

Charger wise the iPad one should be fine, iPhone one might be hit or miss. It'll be safe but just might not output enough power to charge.

Assuming it's the same cable they include with the joycon grip it should be fine. (Granted I'm not sure anyone tested it for compliance or anything yet...)

Charger wise the iPad one should be fine, iPhone one might be hit or miss. It'll be safe but just might not output enough power to charge.

Thanks, I plan to use the cable that came with my Pro controller. I will try both bricks out and see what happens. Just didn't want to do anything that might damage it.

SteveWD40

Are these 3 items suitable to set up a portable Switch charging solution:

Plug

Cable

Power bank

I am thinking the plug (from reviews) might be a little low power to play while charging, not sure, but that's fine as I will use it more to wall charge, with the battery pack for actual play.

Is A-C going to be enough? I hear it should.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
For those interested, Newegg has the RAVPower 20100 mAh QC 3.0 Power Bank External Battery Pack Portable Charger with Qualcomm Certified Quick Charge 3.0 (Wall charger not included) for $24.99.

In cart, you use Promo Code EMCSRECR6 to knock $10 off the $34.99 cost (U.S.) + free shipping.

It will charge the Switch while playing. Charging the actual charger can take up to 5 hours.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=0SC-000Y-00088&ignorebbr=1

I'm pretty confused by this thread. Just to confirm, to charge my Switch outside the dock I need to get:

1. a USB A to USB C cable

and

2. A specific high power charging brick, as a standard USB wall plug (such as the one you get with an iPhone) won't produce enough power to charge the Switch.

Is that correct?

SteveWD40

I'm pretty confused by this thread. Just to confirm, to charge my Switch outside the dock I need to get:

1. a USB A to USB C cable

and

2. A specific high power charging brick, as a standard USB wall plug (such as the one you get with an iPhone) won't produce enough power to charge the Switch.

Is that correct?

That's how I have read it, but still not purchased a plug / pack (my questions above still go unanswered), such an oddly specific requirement for what should be simple charging.

Are these 3 items suitable to set up a portable Switch charging solution:

Plug

Cable

Power bank

I am thinking the plug (from reviews) might be a little low power to play while charging, not sure, but that's fine as I will use it more to wall charge, with the battery pack for actual play.

Is A-C going to be enough? I hear it should.

No idea about A-C. I bought this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01CJ9OEZG/

and this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00M0EWED0

and they work fine. The cables that come provided are very short but that hasn't been an issue for me so far.

Top Bottom