• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SD Card and USB C Cord Suggestions for Switch

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
Yeah eBay is bad and China is a big red flag. I hope it's legit.

Majority of the seller ratings are good, so there is that. I've bought tons of things off of ebay before and gotten the items, even from china before. It is a positive sign that I already received the initial shipping notification. I'll see what happens. Can afford to lose the $40. If it turns up legit, that's a hell of a price for a 256GB Evo+

I'm planning on sticking with the included 32GB memory card for probably the first year.

I don't plan on buying any digital games if Physical ones are available, and by the end of the year I'm hoping that larger memory cards will go down even more in price (or there will be good-great sales on them at some point.

Maybe Samsung with have summer deals with their new phones like last year and offer 256GB SD cards for free.

Majority of the seller ratings are good, so there is that. I've bought tons of things off of ebay before and gotten the items, even from china before. It is a positive sign that I already received the initial shipping notification. I'll see what happens. Can afford to lose the $40. If it turns up legit, that's a hell of a price for a 256GB Evo+
Nah, you'll get it but you should be prepared to lose all that data. Pretty sure you'll get a fake. That price is absurdly low, no way it's a legit card.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/322419941377?_mwBanner=1

Ordered up this Samsung Evo + 256GB on ebay for $39.99 with free shipping from China. Got shipping notification straight away. Should be received anywhere from Feb. 25 - Mar. 17. I can live with the timing. Used PayPal, should be OK if if it doesn't get here and I need to dispute.

A seller rating of 84.6% is extremely bad.

Did you even look at the reviews?

8sWvkBV.jpg

Kindekuma

Banned
I'm sure this has been asked to death in the thread, but would (or does one exist for that matter) be a good Lightning connector to USB C adapter? I already have a 10ft lightning cable, I'd love to just slap on an adapter and charge it that way.

unbiasedgamer

Neo Member
I took a shot and bought a 256gig Samsung card for $60 on ebay. Seller claimed he bought it at a at&t store so it was athunitic. He said he was selling it cause his tablet couldn't read cards that size. I get it and I couldn't write anything above 8 gigs before it would crash. When it would come back up it would ask to be re-formatted. I checked Sdinsight on my phone and it reported it as a fake. I demanded a refund that same day and he said he would send me $30 cause he believes I'm trying to rip him off. I told him I want the full amount or I'll open a claim with eBay. He immediately processed the full return and sent me a return label.

I'm done with eBay and memory cards. Spend the extra cash and buy it from Amazon.

fernoca

Yeah. When it comes to memory cards and USB cables and drives, eBay is not the place to get them.

The average person won't notice or care, when it comes to basic uses like saving text files, charging a phone in their home or whatever.

Is one of the reasons for Nintendo advising against USB sticks on Wii U. Most were going to slap any cheap USB they could get, lose all data and blame Nintendo for it.

Same with USB cables. Many will slap any cheap ones they get to charge the Switch around and either degrade or kill the battery because of it not providing enough energy or just fry the unit. :p

goldenpp72

When you get it, try putting over 200gb of data on it immediately, if you don't see either crippling slow transfer speeds or, outright it denying you the space (they can fake the number of gigs it has) then you got extremely lucky.

Noitshado

I for one find it troubling that the usb is on the bottom of the console. I wish there was a second usb on top. Or maybe if there was a screw mount on the bottom and the backside so some third parties can make a battery expander/stand thing that plugs into the usb and thumbscrew locks to the bottom and onto the backside (imagine the dock but much slimmer and without the screen protector with its own kickstand). When I saw the 2 concave indents on the bottom of the console to line up with the dock I thought they could have added 2 screw holes also in there. Either that or make the battery user replaceable damnit!

The thought of accidentally dropping the unit onto a table with a usb plugged in kinda urks me. I also worry about the life expectancy of the usb port considering how crappy micro usb ports can be.

Wow, thanks for the quick replies, everyone! Follow up question: Do we know if the included charging cable is USB-C to USB-C? C to A? C to wall unit?

Just trying to figure out if I need another wall adapter.

Lexxism

Wow, thanks for the quick replies, everyone! Follow up question: Do we know if the included charging cable is USB-C to USB-C? C to A? C to wall unit?

Just trying to figure out if I need another wall adapter.
USB-C to wall. I think that's the only cable it comes with it. And of course HDMI.

USB-C to wall. I think that's the only cable it comes with it. And of course HDMI.

I actually meant with the controller/grip themselves, not the system. Looks like frankie_baby answered that. I'm about to place my order, so I'll definitely add a wall charger. I'll be nice to have some extra C to A cords lying around. One for the house, one for travel, etc.

ctfg23

I actually meant with the controller/grip themselves, not the system. Looks like frankie_baby answered that. I'm about to place my order, so I'll definitely add a wall charger. I'll be nice to have some extra C to A cords lying around. One for the house, one for travel, etc.

The Pro Controller and Charge Grip come with C to A.
Edit: I'm an idiot, missed the post above.

sugarless

I'm planning on sticking with the included 32GB memory card for probably the first year.

I don't think a memory card is actually included; rather, there is 32GB on-board storage, some of which will be used by the system. So if you want at least 32GB of storage you would have to add a card of some kind.

Coffinhal

Never EVER buy sdcards from ebay.

All of this to save a few bucks...

And you sure won't have guarantee (buying in an european store a 150e CF card instead of 120e in chinese eBay recently allowed me to get a new card for free when the first one was dead)

Same of getting charges with bad voltage that charge slowly, kill the battery or just die quickly.

I'm getting the iOrange-E USB C to A charger and was wondering if the USB part works when connected to an iphone wall charger?

My understanding is that it will work but may not charge as fast as it would if connected to a more powerful wall unit (like the ipad one).

But I'm sure someone else could explain that better.

keakster

B&H Video & Photo are having a really good deal on the 128GB Samsung EVO+. Class 10 so it should be good to go for Switch stuff.

Best Buy price matches them, too.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1181369-REG/samsung_mb_mc128da_am_128gb_evo_micosdxc_class.html

This is the only card that is in my price range so I'm hoping that it is a good match for the Switch. I imagine it will be but am going to wait until the Switch is out and people are able to give real world feedback

atbigelow

For cables, you always want to go C-to-C. The Type-A and Type-B ports will not charge at maximum rates.

Still curious if the Switch is PD-compatible. Not sure why it wouldn't be, though.

nikos

Already have the following stuff, which I'll use if I need to charge via an external battery. Probably won't ever need to though.

I'm assuming I'll also be able to use the 87W USB-C power adapter that came with my MacBook Pro. As long as the Switch draws the power it needs, it shouldn't be dangerous.

USB-C cable: Apple http://www.apple.com/shop/product/M...e33603991f3f2d9904a3271edbada15ad3aa038137046
USB to USB-C adapter: http://www.apple.com/shop/product/M...e33603991f3f2d9904a3271edbada15ad3aa038137046
Battery pack: Mophie Powerstation XXL http://www.apple.com/shop/product/H...c5eef56a9535b06ed5c3648cb3b3c87176be45624fa08

Just need to grab a MicroSD card, but probably won't need it immediately. Going to wait to see which work best with the Switch.

Vidiot

I had $15 in credit on amazon and ordered a $20 nyko switch charger that plugs into the wall and has a detachable cord so I can use it in my car too. I figure I wanted a second charging wire because I wanted to be able to charge it anywhere around the house without having to unhook the cord from the dock. I also wanted something to use in my car to keep the battery from dieing too fast on me.

I've had one of those Anker chargers from the OP for quite a while. This thing is a beast, highly recommended. Glad to hear it works with the Switch.

The SanDisk 200GB card from the OP is not coming up at $59 though, it's currently $72.99

It seems like they only have the 20100 mah for Canada https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B019IEPGAC/

That's the one I'm looking at on Amazon US, I like that it has Quick Charge support for charging the battery itself over the micro USB port (as well as supporting quick charging other devices if you have one that supports it) which should actually charge it faster than the USB-C port can. Also not fond of something that's TOO big or heavy, so don't really want to go over 20100mah. Though now that I look again I see the 26800mAh one can charge with USB-C PD, so hmm...

With a battery bank rated at like 20,000mah, what is lost when charging the Switch?

ie: you have ~4,000mah inside the switch, does that mean a 20k will charge it 5 times over? (4*5=20) or is there some type of loss that occurs when charging occurs?

Top Bottom