• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SD Card and USB C Cord Suggestions for Switch

Luigiv

Just got my Sandisk Ultra 200GB I ordered from Amazon the other day. This one, to be precise. Can confirm the distributor is legit. Came in the official and I ran it through a speed tester and got a solid 80MB/s sequential read and write, as advertised. Haven't tested the capacity but at this point I have no reason to doubt it.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
With a battery bank rated at like 20,000mah, what is lost when charging the Switch?

ie: you have ~4,000mah inside the switch, does that mean a 20k will charge it 5 times over? (4*5=20) or is there some type of loss that occurs when charging occurs?
There is always some type of loss which occurs.
Couldn't I simply use a USB A to USB C cable to charge the Switch with it?
Going to be honest, I have no idea if or how that would effect the charging capabilities of the battery. Maybe someone with more experience can chime in on that subject?

atbigelow

Couldn't I simply use a USB to USB C cable to charge the Switch with it?
You CAN. But it will not be as fast. Anything using a Type A or B will be slower than Type C's potential.

My phone (nexus 6p) can charge from my older Power Brick just fine (it has high amp USB ports). But it isn't as fast as if I plug it into a C-to-C wall adapter.

If you're trying to get something specifically for your switch, I'd say to make sure and spring for a brick with Type-C and Power Delivery.

Cerium

Already got the Sandisk 200GB.

I'm ready.

Now I need to get one of those gooseneck holders for my bed so I can be my avatar.

Rodin

Will the Switch's memory card reader take full advantage of that speed, though?
I don't know but a card at least as fast as the Nintendo branded ones shouldn't be a bottleneck, which is the most important thing here. There isn't better value than this card right now.

Just got my Sandisk Ultra 200GB I ordered from Amazon the other day. This one, to be precise. Can confirm the distributor is legit. Came in the official and I ran it through a speed tester and got a solid 80MB/s sequential read and write, as advertised. Haven't tested the capacity but at this point I have no reason to doubt it.
Other people tested it and got even more than that, 88-90MB/s.
Already got the Sandisk 200GB.

I'm ready.

Now I need to get one of those gooseneck holders for my bed so I can be my avatar.
Welcome to the family son.

Considering 128GB. Want to find out more about Nintendo's digital distribution first. Will we still need police reports or to go on a wild goose chase with customer service or has Nintendo realised it's 2017 and decided to make account management more in line with most other digital distributors?

Lexxism

That's the one I'm looking at on Amazon US, I like that it has Quick Charge support for charging the battery itself over the micro USB port (as well as supporting quick charging other devices if you have one that supports it) which should actually charge it faster than the USB-C port can. Also not fond of something that's TOO big or heavy, so don't really want to go over 20100mah. Though now that I look again I see the 26800mAh one can charge with USB-C PD, so hmm...
I wonder if the quick charge port will affect the Switch? I'm also thinking of getting the Anker PowerCore+ 20100 but it's kinda long compared to the ravpower

CazTGG

You CAN. But it will not be as fast. Anything using a Type A or B will be slower than Type C's potential.

My phone (nexus 6p) can charge from my older Power Brick just fine (it has high amp USB ports). But it isn't as fast as if I plug it into a C-to-C wall adapter.

If you're trying to get something specifically for your switch, I'd say to make sure and spring for a brick with Type-C and Power Delivery.

I've been wanting to get a high capacity (20,000+, preferably solar if possible) power bank for electronics in general for some time, the Switch was merely the handheld which pushed me into justifying a purchase. As long as it doesn't damage the battery then i'm fine with a slightly slower charge.

EDIT: Found one that's slightly more expensive but boasts a larger capacity and mAh per dollar ratio (600 mAh/$ as opposed to 550/$).

Rootbeer

Banned
Triple your Switch storage for $16!

(Amazon has a SanDisk Ultra 64GB microSDXC with adapter on sale right now)
It's a small discount (usually runs a little over $20) but it's a good starter card I guess.

thinking about just caving and getting this one. I can't seem to find any good deals on a 128GB or 200GB card.

Then i can jump up to a larger card when I find a really solid deal on one, over the next yearish.

So, is the write speed on this card around 30MB/s? Sadly a lot of retailers don't seem to advertise write speeds except for the 4K rated cards. Seems like most of the cheaper cards are 10MB/s write speed, but some are in the 20MB-30MB/s range if you get a good one. Read speed is around 80MB/s which is perfectly fine. The extra write speed might help with save game speeds and such though?

*edit*
Okay found this video about the card in question. Seems pretty disappointing. Samsung EVO cards are quite better:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77oqBMLy_JU

Anyone have any suggestions?

But the 200GB version benchmarks faster. These things are important to know before buying.

Hmm, trying to decide if the extra $30 is worth it. I have $44 in amazon credit, and I'd prefer not to spend the extra dough, but if the speeds are faster on the 200gb card....🤔

Rootbeer

Banned
Hmm, trying to decide if the extra $30 is worth it. I have $44 in amazon credit, and I'd prefer not to spend the extra dough, but if the speeds are faster on the 200gb card....��
from what i've gathered, the 128GB has about 80MB/s read speed. the 200 has about 90MB/s read speed. So you get more storage plus it's a little faster. However it's worth noting we don't exactly know if benchmarks like this translate into additional gains when used in a real-world Switch setting.

The write speeds may differ more.

No doubt people will be doing a lot of testing once Switch gets into more hands.

Anyway I'm tired of waffling on cards... I'm just getting that cheap-o $15.99 64GB card above and i'll upgrade to a 128 or 200 months down the line when we have more info and deals start coming around. Because I'm not sure if 32GB (actually more like 25GB or so after you account for OS storage and such) is enough for my needs in the first few months. I plan on getting virtual console games, digital exclusives like I Am Setsuna, DLC and of course patches...

Ashler

Will wait for speed tests for both UHS-I and UHS-II microSD cards on the switch (read and write) before committing to one.

selo

Hey guys

Thinking of buying an SD card, but I'm not sure if I remember correctly, that Nintendo said they would be adding support for them later on? Or is it ok to buy them now? that 200GB for 69 sounds pretty good!

Rootbeer

Banned
I found that 200GB microSD card on ebay for 54.99! Score :)

Seller has 100% positive feedback.
Ahh, I see a few sellers going with that price with 100% ratings. Though, they all have low # of actual reviews (like 100 or less), I don't know if that's a bad sign or what...

Good luck let us know if it's legit. You should do a thorough test to make sure it's a real 200GB card. On the fake cards, once you try to put beyond a certain amount of data on them, they fail.

Rootbeer

Banned
Which of the Samsung card branding is the crummy one? Pro or evo?
Well crummy is a bit subjective we need more data to know what write speeds really matter on the Switch. When it adds video recording, will a 10MB/s card be a bottleneck or will it not matter? Things like that.

Anyway, the orange-colored EVO cards are the lower end ones. The green "evo select" have 20mb/s write instead of 10mb/s write. the red evo+ cards have waterproofing and stuff (doesn't matter). the blue "pro" evo cards are the fastest with around 95mb/s read and 90mb/s write. The switch hardware may not benefit from such high speeds for the additional cost of these, or perhaps it may.

If any of this is wrong anyone feel free to jump in and correct. I'm by no means an authority on this, hah.

That sounds about right. The big benefit to the Samsung Pro microSDs are their write speed, their read speed is also faster but not significantly so. However, write speed probably won't be very important for the Switch. The biggest things they may impact would be saving games and taking pictures/video (assuming you get the option to save them to the microSD card and that it doesn't only save them to the onboard storage) Considering the cost difference I'd personally rather get a larger capacity card and sacrifice on some speed.

Chylo

Neo Member
To put things simply, am I correct that both the Sandisk Ultra 128GB and Samsung EVO Select 128GB are 80/20 read/write?

Updated OP with my personal pre-Switch purchases.

- iOrange 10ft USB C to A
- 2 Anker wall units (one for iOrange cord another for the USB C to A included with the Pro Controller
- 200GB SanDisk microSDXC card

KRFJIlg.jpg

I got the Google Pixel phone few months ago and the I think Google USB C cable is one of the highest quality cables I've ever had. A bit expensive at $25 for 1 meter of cable but amazing quality.

https://store.google.com/product/usb_type_c_usb_type_a

Does the switch support USB C Power Delivery charging?
Also their universal type-c charger with power delivery that extends to 12 feet.

it's a 60W charger. Not sure what the Switch's is.

https://store.google.com/product/universal_type_c_60w_charger

Lorcain

Just ordered the same one. I was originally going with the Sandisk Ultra 128GB from Amazon, but decided I might as well go for 200GB to be safe. I'd rather have more space for digital games.

As someone new to this site (at least as a poster) it makes me happy that this thread has lasted so long and people are getting value from it!

Thanks, guys :,)

Adamator

I have a few questions about USB-C that I hope I aren't stupid.

The Switch will be my first device that uses USB-C. I already have an Anker Portable battery I use for my iPhone/iPad but it only has a USB-A plug. Would there any difference in charging the switch with a USB-A to USB-C cable vs having a power bank with it's own USB-C plug meaning I could use a USB-C to USB-C cable?

Secondary, are there any concerns with using a 3rd party USB wall adapter along with a USB C Cable like the ones shown a few posts above to charge the switch over using Nintendo's official (and overpriced charger?

Thank you!

Has anyone looked at a good battery bank for the switch? I have an old anker battery bank from about 3 years ago but I might buy a new one if the switch uses power delivery or something to charge.

Top Bottom