• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SDCC: New Thor: Ragnarok trailer released

dabig2

I see we're approaching the Iron Man 3 conversation of "it totally fucking sucks NO it totally fucking rocks and is Shane Black's love letter to CBM in general". Always a good time

Iron Man 3 was amazing btw, you slavish, ignorant, fucking nerd plebes

It's like poetry. It rhymes....

DFdHPtCUIAAvXHX.jpg

I'm a traditionalist and a Banner and Betty superfan and she's his 1 true love across ALL mediums and Marvel bigwigs be damned, but....I ship this. A far more compelling story of camaraderie and love than Jane Foster with Thor. And we can't forget Thor's initial dialog in this trailer "and that's when I met you". That line is totally romantic. Who says love can't blossom on the battlefield?

Marvel really is just letting their directors go wild, huh?
According to the acclaimed indie director, 80 percent of Thor: Ragnarok was improvised, or ad-libbed

"My style of working is I'll often be behind the camera, or right next to the camera yelling words at people, like, 'Say this, say this! Say it this way!'" he said. "I'll straight-up give Anthony Hopkins a line reading. I don't care."
http://www.mtv.com/news/3026924/thor-ragnarok-taika-waititi-80-percent-improvised/

A shame that Edgar Wright wasn't able to fully do his thing on Ant-Man though. But I have to admit, Thor: ragnarok looks amazing and I'm glad they've been given this level of freedom for this film.
Things change, and there were lots of factors there. I say this as a massive fan of Edgar Wright.

My dream was an Edgar Wright directed Spider-Man of Ant-Man went well.

A shame that Edgar Wright wasn't able to fully do his thing on Ant-Man though. But I have to admit, Thor: ragnarok looks amazing and I'm glad they've been given this level of freedom for this film.
What caused the shift in Marvel's handling of directors? We went from Iron Man 2 to Ant-Man to a Jon Hughes-style high school movie with a superhero in it and two sci-fi action-comedies, one(?) with a ton of improv, in the same year and an afrofuturistic thriller next year

What caused the shift in Marvel's handling of directors? We went from Iron Man 2 to Ant-Man to a Jon Hughes-style high school movie with a superhero in it and two sci-fi action-comedies, one(?) with a ton of improv, in the same year and an afrofuturistic thriller next year

Kevin Feige stopped having to report directly to Perlmutter

Bronx-Man

Banned
Godly.

Bow before your god.

DFV0mtYWAAA6hNZ.jpg
GOD-LEVEL FIT.

Probably comes from Feige taking the reigns from Ike Pearlmutter.

I'm not sure if it has already been posted but
Clancy Brown has been confirmed as the voice of Surtur. Which blows up my theory about Sam Neil voicing him.

jph139

It's no surprise that the really memorable Marvel movies of the past few years are the ones with the most memorable directors. Hell, that's been true since Shane Black on IM3.

My only question now is whether, if/when they get Taika Waititi again, they put him on Thor 4 or give him a new property...

Sesha

Phil Lord & Chris Miller, take note.

Feige not reporting to Perlmutter anymore, the dissolution of the brain trust, and the success of Guardians would be my bet.

"Mark Ruffalo would be finished shooting for the day," Waititi recalled, "and he'd come up to me and he'd be like, 'Why have we not been fired yet? We are doing the most insane stuff in this film, so where's the phone call?'"
This... This makes me extremely excited.

JimiNutz

Banned
I keep on thinking that I'm done with these stupid Marvel films and then they release new trailers and once again im back on board.

Both this and Black Panther look really good.

Sesha

It's no surprise that the really memorable Marvel movies of the past few years are the ones with the most memorable directors. Hell, that's been true since Shane Black on IM3.

My only question now is whether, if/when they get Taika Waititi again, they put him on Thor 4 or give him a new property...

Hercules, She-Hulk or a Loki solo/Journey Into Mystery would be great.

This... This makes me extremely excited.

I want to hang out with Ruffalo for a day. I think it'd be so cool.

Hard to say about Phase 4 stuff without knowing who's going to die in IW/IW+1.

So far this year, we've had two unique Marvel films in GotG2 by Gunn and Homecoming by Watts, Thor looks and sounds insanely Taika Waititi, Ryan Coogler is going to bless us with Black Panther and the Russo Bros. are going to work their magic on Avengers.

Then I look at Doctor Strange by Derrickson and the next Ant-Man by Peyton Reed, and it's like... wow, kind of a downgrade. I dunno, maybe Reed will surprise me with Ant-Man and the Wasp but I won't hold my breath.

Beta Ray Bill, he's been teased as easter egg twice now in GoTG and Thor Ragnarok. I think it's only a matter of time before Feige fully commit and make one.

black070

So far this year, we've had two unique Marvel films in GotG2 by Gunn and Homecoming by Watts, Thor looks and sounds insanely Taika Waititi, Ryan Coogler is going to bless us with Black Panther and the Russo Bros. are going to work their magic on Avengers.

Then I look at Doctor Strange by Derrickson and the next Ant-Man by Peyton Reed, and it's like... wow, kind of a downgrade. I dunno, maybe Reed will surprise me with Ant-Man and the Wasp but I won't hold my breath.

I like the sound of the route they're going with Ant-Man and the Wasp - the set pieces sound creative and fun.

I hope talking Hulk isn't relegated to this movie alone, its hilarious.

We'll need talking Hulk when they do World War Hulk next, right?

Do we have any idea how likely a Thor 4 is? I had assumed that the original Avengers RDJ, Evans, Johansson and Hemsworth would be leaving after the Infinity War films, mainly because it'll probably be too expensive to keep renewing their contracts.

Top Bottom