• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sea of Thieves PS5 closed beta is now pre-loading

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Enjoy peeps. Good that they are testing that the servers can handle the influx of players.

They need to do everything they can to ensure its not broken on launch day.

I'm looking to get back on with the updates.

Havoc2049

Thank you for an actual, non-judgmental response, I appreciate that. I’m in the same boat, no pun intended lol. I’ll probably end up giving it a shot at some point. I’ll probably wait for a couple weeks after launch to make sure all the connection issues are worked out on ps5 first. Same here with the real life friends. Most of them play games I have no interest in, Warzone, Destiny, etc.
If you are seriously considering playing the game, you might as well get on board day one, or better yet, the beta. Unless there are MAJOR issues, being there on day one in a new MMO is tons of fun, as everyone is all excited and in the same boat. 😉. There are also pre-order bonuses and Rare always gives out beta specific cosmetics to people who participate.

As for playing with real life friends, 95% of the people I play with online, I meet online. SoT has a robust online community on Discord, SoT forums, streamers, podcasts and SoT gaming groups and clans. SoT also has in-game matchmaking. SoT also uses Looking For Games (LFG) and there are always between 150-500 posts of people looking for crewmates. A couple updates back, Rare introduced an in-game player Guild system. So you can join a player Guild and it adds a whole layer of team based community goals, commendations, titles and cosmetics to earn.

KaiserBecks

Nobody sounded entitled, you are trying to make it sound like that. Try again. Either run a beta test for your benefit as a dev to help make the game better, or charge for a “beta test” that stands in as a micro transaction. It’s a dirt ass practice, no matter how you try to paint it.

And also, don’t try to insult me like I can’t “comprehend” something, I get it, trust me. I don’t give a shit if I can play it ahead of time, I’m totally down to help make the game better on release than it was on Xbox. Y’all Xbots have made it abundantly clear that you don’t want others to enjoy your precious game. This whole thread, I was just trying to figure out how, if, and why I should try the game out. After the last few hours, I legitimately have no interest after the way y’all act about it, especially if your type of person plays the game and I have to interact with this same shit in the game. It’s fucking sad, because I was seriously 90% leaning toward grabbing it, but now I really am not interested. What a joke, I’m sure it’s a great community 😔.

I actually didn't think it was that bad, but...wow.

ManaByte

Based on the countdown the beta starts tonight in the US.

A thing to remember with SoT, all of their posted dates/times are always in UTC.

Last edited:

T-0800

Won't work for me. Logged in and it asked me to link my MS account which I did but then it asks me to update the game (says game version mismatch) but it is updated.

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
The game’s been released for years now, and played across multiple hardware configurations on console and PC. They don’t need the massive sample space of an open beta to test features/gameplay/setting etc. this will just be a technical test, most likely.

it runs on an xbox one, so any half decent PC will run it. Why not give it a try on GamePass or even via streaming so you can determine if the solo play works for you?
I don’t have game pass and I don’t have interest in it. I’m more concerned about connection issues than anything. I guess I’ll just wait and see after a few days.

Last edited:
Can't wait for console wars on the high seas. I'll be using my Halo sails, so if you're a Pony, make sure to fly your PlayStation exclusive sails sky high!

Last edited:

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
How do you approach buying any other games that don’t have a beta?

Use that method to decide if Sea of Thieves is worth you buying.
I typically don’t buy online games at launch for that exact reason except on rare occasions, but I’ve been looking forward to this one. It’s not that I even care about trying ahead of time, as much as it’s wanting to play a game right when I buy it and making sure there aren’t connection issues for weeks…ie Helldivers 2.

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
If you are seriously considering playing the game, you might as well get on board day one, or better yet, the beta. Unless there are MAJOR issues, being there on day one in a new MMO is tons of fun, as everyone is all excited and in the same boat. 😉. There are also pre-order bonuses and Rare always gives out beta specific cosmetics to people who participate.

As for playing with real life friends, 95% of the people I play with online, I meet online. SoT has a robust online community on Discord, SoT forums, streamers, podcasts and SoT gaming groups and clans. SoT also has in-game matchmaking. SoT also uses Looking For Games (LFG) and there are always between 150-500 posts of people looking for crewmates. A couple updates back, Rare introduced an in-game player Guild system. So you can join a player Guild and it adds a whole layer of team based community goals, commendations, titles and cosmetics to earn.
The major issues are my worry. I took a few days off work for Helldivers 2 and couldn’t even play it the whole time.

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
Thank you to the folks in this thread that actually had a respectable conversation about my concerns with the beta release, and let me know that it is indeed still fun solo. It’s good to know there are still some users that can disagree with what I’m saying and how I’m saying it, but are still helpful instead of throwing insults or jumping on someone. I appreciate you guys, and I’m probably going to pre order now and take my chances.

Why does this game have a closed beta? It's been out for 6 years and is well established. Have they said why it's having a closed beta or is this just a timed demo being paywalled? Weird.

PDXkv6.gif
WRvQF1f.jpg

Havoc2049

The major issues are my worry. I took a few days off work for Helldivers 2 and couldn’t even play it the whole time.
I took part in the Xbox/Windows beta when the game launched and had zero issues, other than I think they flipped the switch on the servers a little late. When the game launched there were very little issues, other than maybe a few timeouts here and there when que'ing into a server. Overall it was painless.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
To original poster. Yes the games worth it. You can play solo but it’s a little harder. The “beta” is more for server balancing the games already complete content wise so they are probably load balancing etc for this beta.

Think of this as an early access release.

Just know goin in early might have a few crashes etc. they game officially release soon so you could just wait

Last edited:

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
I took part in the Xbox/Windows beta when the game launched and had zero issues, other than I think they flipped the switch on the servers a little late. When the game launched there were very little issues, other than maybe a few timeouts here and there when que'ing into a server. Overall it was painless.
Do you think with it being a different system there could be connection hiccups? I know the servers are all the same, but maybe psn and the servers working in conjunction with one another? I mean, I guess I shouldn’t really be worried about it, if they are confident enough to not run an open beta, then it’s more than likely okay I suppose.

Ozriel

M$FT

They’ve been running this for years with capacity enough to handle Steam + Xbox gamers, including popular expansions like that Pirates of the Caribbean one. I don’t expect any significant connection issues. And even if any happens, it’ll be speedily resolved.

After 6 years, they’ve polished the network stack

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
They’ve been running this for years with capacity enough to handle Steam + Xbox gamers, including popular expansions like that Pirates of the Caribbean one. I don’t expect any significant connection issues. And even if any happens, it’ll be speedily resolved.

After 6 years, they’ve polished the network stack
I hope so, I’m going to cave and take my chances. I need something to play.

Jaybe

The fact that I tried to figure out if this game is solo friendly and good for new players,
No clue about the rest of your comment but with regard to whether this is ‘solo friendly’, it is not. This is not worth your money if you do not have people to play with.

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
No clue about the rest of your comment but with regard to whether this is ‘solo friendly’, it is not. This is not worth your money if you do not have people to play with.
I’ve heard the exact opposite from quite a few people here. Why would you say it’s not solo friendly? Is it a learning curve thing? Are there forced co op events, and if so, is there matchmaking?

Jaybe

I’ve heard the exact opposite from quite a few people here. Why would you say it’s not solo friendly? Is it a learning curve thing? Are there forced co op events, and if so, is there matchmaking?
The main game is PvP, so you will be against groups of 4 and they will kill your character and take what you’ve accumulated.

ManaByte

I will be on most of the weekend in the beta and will show anyone who wants to learn the game how to play. PSN name is same as it is here.

Will do the same at release.

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
You can kill a group of four. Just need a gunpowder keg and suicide bomb their boat. They’ll be crying while you make off with their loot.
Now this sounds fun! Reminds of when I used to attach c4 to an ATV in Battlefied 3, driving it straight toward a full tank, hoping off then hitting the trigger when it got to the tank. Nothing better than watching a ghost riding ATV drive into a tank and blow up, then watching the screen fill with multi kill vehicle kill points lol

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
I will be on most of the weekend in the beta and will show anyone who wants to learn the game how to play. PSN name is same as it is here.

Will do the same at release.
If I grab it before the weekend I’ll shoot you a request. Screen name is the same as well.

ManaByte

Now this sounds fun! Reminds of when I used to attach c4 to an ATV in Battlefied 3, driving it straight toward a full tank, hoping off then hitting the trigger when it got to the tank. Nothing better than watching a ghost riding ATV drive into a tank and blow up, then watching the screen fill with multi kill vehicle kill points lol
The best is when you’re solo slooping and someone is stupid enough to follow you directly behind your ship. Grab a keg, jump off, and time the detonation when they’re right above you.

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
The best is when you’re solo slooping and someone is stupid enough to follow you directly behind your ship. Grab a keg, jump off, and time the detonation when they’re right above you.
I like hearing about some of the creative strategy to enjoy the solo experience more.

Orbital2060

The game is most fun with a full galleon. If you get a good crew. I wouldnt recommend it as a solo only game. Its a lot of work. A big part of the game is survival based and if youre alone thats a lotta holes to plug and water to carry without help. With a crew you can divide the work into staying on the ship, while one or two look for the treasure and what you need. Solo you have to leave your boat and you cant see if a sail appears on the horizon.

One thing you can do is raise the alliance flag when you log on, that sends a signal that youre friendly and want to hook up. That way you also get the credit for stuff that the other ships in the alliance hand in.

Last edited:

Three

Enjoy peeps. Good that they are testing that the servers can handle the influx of players.

They need to do everything they can to ensure its not broken on launch day.

I'm looking to get back on with the updates.
You can't really stress test with a closed beta. This is likely just testing the PSN integration if anything.

ManaByte

Looks like the servers are being hammered. Turns out people really wanted this game on PS5. Almost as if it’s a great game.

ManaByte

Yup the Duke ship set doesn’t show up on PS5. Looks like that’s the only one right now that is locked to Xbox and PC.

Top Bottom