• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Season 2.5 balance patch announced for Street Fighter V

Edzi

Still not "invincible" until frame 3. Wakeup is largely unchanged, but should help in the neutral.

Probably because she's still a really good character.

It's funny how the saltiest people are the ones who seemingly relied on the cheapest stuff. One dude still mad about not being able to steal wins with constant Mika claps, and the other mad that he can't just randomly throw out EX tackle from mid screen for free damage.

Even if it's done with reversal timing with this change? I thought the point of the change was to allow invincible, meterless wake-up DPs in some form again.

Nah, that's not the point of the change. They wanted to give each DP it's own role, but full on frame 1 invincibilty is still reserved for EX only. LP DP is for beating throws, MP DP is for beating air moves/jump ins, and HP DP is for neutral control/interrupts between strings.

Producer

Thank god at the charge buffer change though.

I dont understand these charge buffer changes. Apparantly it was harder to do charge moves in s2 but i had an easier time doing stuff like stand jab xx sbk for example. Not sure whats up with that stuff

Nah, that's not the point of the change. They wanted to give each DP it's own role, but full on frame 1 invincibilty is still reserved for EX only. LP DP is for beating throws, MP DP is for beating air moves/jump ins, and HP DP is for neutral control/interrupts between strings.

Gotcha, that makes sense.

Dahbomb

I dont understand these charge buffer changes. Apparantly it was harder to do charge moves in s2 but i had an easier time doing stuff like stand jab xx sbk for example. Not sure whats up with that stuff
It was definitely harder man.

Also reasonable Urien changes. Thank god at the Chariot and cr.MK nerfs along with HP nerf... now he's much more reasonable.

Aside from the Upside down kick, the Guile changes were reasonable too. In fact, pretty much all the nerfs were reasonable.

Durden77

These sound like great changes to me. Excited to see the game continue to evolve.

Guile :(. He'll be fine though.

Skilletor

Looks like it's more to make h shoryus good anti-airs

M Shoryu is the AA one. HP Shoryu would beat things on the ground, and if you think they're going to throw you on wakeup, then you LP shoryu.

Characters with DP have an option against throw loop other than tech.

I noticed it immediately. Guile felt off after S2 patch. I think somebody, gilley, probably, commented that it was the lowest buffer amount in any SF.

Edzi

He got a nerf, actually. Charge times increased.

That's not what that change is. The window for inputting a button for a charge move just got increased to be closer to what it was in S1. If anything, it's a slight buff.

I noticed it immediately. Guile felt off after S2 patch. I think somebody, gilley, probably, commented that it was the lowest buffer amount in any SF.

Yup, I was noticing it with Alex too. Was messing up way more stomps/headbutts.

brian!

M Shoryu is the AA one. HP Shoryu would beat things on the ground, and if you think they're going to throw you on wakeup, then you LP shoryu.

Characters with DP have an option against throw loop other than tech.

Ah i see makes sense

Im pretty bad at interpreting frame data but the vega buff is insane?

That's not what that change is. The window for inputting a button for a charge move just got increased to be closer to what it was in S1. If anything, it's a slight buff.

Yup, I was noticing it with Alex too. Was messing up way more stomps/headbutts.

Thats what I get for skimming the article until it got to a character I cared about. More often than not, I was negative edging stuff when I was doing cancels as Dictator, so this change actually doesn't affect things too much.

whalesex

Neo Member
I would say that this patch puts us really close to where the game should be in terms of balance. Still a few head tilting choices (still not sure what's up with Juri and Fang) but overall so much better. I think the focus for the rest of S2 should be on quality of life issues such as input lag.

Hope this patch makes tournaments more exciting!

kirblar

That's pretty cool. I'm sure it has some kind of utility in this case (leaves the opponent closer to you maybe?), but unique throw animations against crouching characters is a neat concept. Are there any 2D fighters that currently do that? Not talking about command grabs that only work on crouching opponents.
Mika's already got a similar setup. She has a special powerbomb throw if they're crouching.

Ninjimbo

Nothing for Karin? I guess that's okay. I don't really have any issues with her. I'm having fun trying to learn her game. Sucks that Laura got hit since she isn't even that strong.

I'm curious about those Juri changes. Infiltration is starting to wreck people with her. I don't know if they're good or bad.

Pompadour

That's pretty cool. I'm sure it has some kind of utility in this case (leaves the opponent closer to you maybe?), but unique throw animations against crouching characters is a neat concept. Are there any 2D fighters that currently do that? Not talking about command grabs that only work on crouching opponents.

This would be a waste of resources but I wish everyone had back throws like Alex. I guess it'd rarely come up since 2D fighters auto turn characters to face the opponent.

tariniel

Bison not even on the list at all. Better than nerfs I suppose... The changes to Vega are pretty interesting. I already thought he was fun, I wish he had better anti-airs though.

No mention of upgrades to the matchmaking and other network issues?

Charge changes probably doesn't sit good with Chun. She was my S1 main and Guile was my secondary, that's now been reversed. Bummed about his minor nerfs, but I don't feel he's gutted so theres that at least.

Edzi

Charge changes probably doesn't sit good with Chun. She was my S1 main and Guile was my secondary, that's now been reversed. Bummed about his minor nerfs, but I don't feel he's gutted so theres that at least.

I think you're misunderstanding the charge change. It doesn't hurt anyone.

Wallach

invincibility for heavies only start on the third frame.

edit: whoops beaten

how is she still trash when a Mika was in grand finals of final round last week?

Technically second and third place, lol. Only Mika and Cammy had two appearances in top 8. Such nerfs.

BlizzKrut

Banned
Glad they buffed my main Alex, and I do appreciate finally seeing Capcom applying their "buff the weaker ones" logic, can't wait to see the new moves Zangief has.

Vice

Meh at invincible reversals being brought back for some characters. At least Necalli didn't get it back.

Thank god at the charge buffer change though.

Edit: Read that wrong, DPs are still vulnerable from frame 1-3. These changes looking pretty good now.
Necali had those similar DP properties added at the start of season 2 I believe. Frames 3-8 for HP do are attack and projectile invincible.

Also, I'm extremely glad they are giving Zangief his neutral jump Headbutt back. It was sorely missing and was on every single change list that I made during S1. It's a great tool, and I'm sure we'll see it in use.

SUPARSTARX

Nash needed more to compete.

I think he's still pretty good left untouched.
I feel he could still use some refinement.

Firstly, he's way too one dimension.

3f LK brings him in line with a lot of the characters but movement speed is still a problem. There's no incentive to dash unless your opponent sucks, you get punished or you walk slowly and get jumped on.

Psycho axe slowed by 2f, limbs with extended hurt boxes. It's a very weak neutral tool unless you can have your opponents sit there and do nothing.

There's just a very limited amount of offensive options to the few defense options he has already. That's why you see so many people gunning to EX-DR onto people's heads for frame advantage and mobility. It's expensive and 2/3 of the time you block it and feel no sweat.

Csr

Unless Nash's st.hp changed hitbox is amazeballs somehow and can antiair everything now then he is in a worse position than before since he stayed the same and low and mid tiers got buffed and top tiers stay very close to how they were.

DR2K

Banned
This is a surprisingly good list of changes

Nothing for Karin? I guess that's okay. I don't really have any issues with her. I'm having fun trying to learn her game. Sucks that Laura got hit since she isn't even that strong.

I'm curious about those Juri changes. Infiltration is starting to wreck people with her. I don't know if they're good or bad.

She lost anti air jab and her DP became more useful. So she's better now.

I feel like Alex could have used a bit more, but the health buff might be pretty clutch considering other characters lost some health. Glad they didn't go too crazy with the nerf bat with Urien, though them saying Laura is performing in line with their expectations is a bit annoying lol.

I wanted them to revert the nerf to his cr.MP the most imo.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
AKUMA BUFFED
rejoice.png

Tokido confirmed EVO 2017 champ

FluxWaveZ

Mika? What are you even talking about? She has to spend meter to do a wall-free combo now, she's still a monster and still placing well at events.

You needed the brainless invisible wall that badly?

The invisible wall wasn't what was brainless, the clap was.

DR2K

Banned
The invisible wall wasn't what was brainless, the clap was.

The clap should be back to its original frame data since th restriction on the wall. Felt that nerf was too much in conjunction to the wall nerf. Should have been one or the other.

Top Bottom