• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seattle-GAF!

I've done 15 batches but for some reason I've yet to go all-grain. By the end of summer I figure I'll get around to it.

Do you bottle or keg?

We did 10 batches with grain and dry extract before going all-grain. Still bottling at this point, we've got the kegs, but haven't done that yet.

Chichikov

I've done 15 batches but for some reason I've yet to go all-grain. By the end of summer I figure I'll get around to it.
It's fun to do it once or twice, but at the end of the day, I don't think it's worth the hassle.
Same (and moreover actually) goes for culturing yeast and growing hops.

Unless you want to get into competitive brewing.

MjFrancis

My wife grows hops, but we don't brew with those exclusively. Culturing yeast never even crossed my mind.

I've never considered entering a competition either, but I've had a few recipes that have gone over exceptionally well. Growing hops and planning a move towards all-grain are just excuses to spend more time with family on a common hobby.

My parents grow hops for us, and I'm building a pergola on my back patio for hops, but we'll probably produce enough for a fresh-hop in the Fall, and that's it.

I think it would be fun to enter a beer in competition at the Puyallup Fair or something. Also, my buddy was a judge last weekend for Flying Bike's stout and he said that our stuff was seriously better than about half of what he tasted. That made me feel good.

Chichikov

My wife grows hops, but we don't brew with those exclusively. Culturing yeast never even crossed my mind.

I've never considered entering a competition either, but I've had a few recipes that have gone over exceptionally well. Growing hops and planning a move towards all-grain are just excuses to spend more time with family on a common hobby.
It's all good, I just found out that when I moved to all grain, I just ended up brewing less often (and it's not like I was able to produce noticeably better beers that way).

Though it was kinda fun to make beer completely from scratch (well almost, I didn't grow the grains, but I have a plan to try to do that at some point).

MjFrancis

Growing grains for homebrew is where the line between "hobby" and "lifestyle" gets really fuzzy, lol.

Not to say that I'm not entertaining the idea now.

Chichikov

IM SO FUCKING PISSED WITH THE THUNDER GOING TO THE FINALS..

thats all..
I blame the Blazers.
Had those fuckers picked Durant, OKC would've been a dead franchise.

And hey, there's no better way to rebuilt than Major Leaguing a couple of season to get cap space.

Fuck that team.

I'm still not rooting for the Heat if they make the finals though...

dubc35

Meh, I'm over it now. I think I'll hate them more if/when Seattle gets another team and they play against the Thunder.

Meh, I'm over it now. I think I'll hate them more if/when Seattle gets another team and they play against the Thunder.

Instead of getting say the Hornets or Bobcats coming to Seattle, I'd rather have the current Thunder roster. Its an absurdly talented group of players. And here's the kicker, its young. We're talking the next "Spurs" team. A core front four of players.

Chichikov

Instead of getting say the Hornets or Bobcats coming to Seattle, I'd rather have the current Thunder roster. Its an absurdly talented group of players. And here's the kicker, its young. We're talking the next "Spurs" team. A core front four of players.
Yeah, but they need a coach to be a real dynasty.

What really pisses me off is that they were able to build that team mainly because they tanked and gutted the team the last couple of seasons in Seattle.

cdyhybrid

I blame the Blazers.
Had those fuckers picked Durant, OKC would've been a dead franchise.

And hey, there's no better way to rebuilt than Major Leaguing a couple of season to get cap space.

Fuck that team.

I'm still not rooting for the Heat if they make the finals though...

I'll root for anyone playing the Thunder. I rooted for the Lakers and Spurs and will root for either Miami or Boston. Fuck those guys.

Chichikov

I'll root for anyone playing the Thunder. I rooted for the Lakers and Spurs and will root for either Miami or Boston. Fuck those guys.
I'm finding new things about myself this year.
I discovered that I'm able to root for the Lakers, and I'm pretty sure that I'm going to be able to root for the Celtics.
I hope I don't get to discover that I'm able to root for the fucking Heat.

Here's the facebook page for the group working on building the new arena
https://www.facebook.com/sonicsarena

And the event for the rally on the 14th
https://www.facebook.com/events/162283960569061/
Man, I really hope Seattle get an NHL franchise.
Fuck supporting the Canucks.

p.s.
Gary Payton has just been awesome on the issue, every time he's on TV he tried push it.
Yes, I'm keeping tabs, on everyone.

Yeah, but they need a coach to be a real dynasty.

What really pisses me off is that they were able to build that team mainly because they tanked and gutted the team the last couple of seasons in Seattle.
So true. You really think they hired PJ Carlesimo cause he was the best fit for the team? Nope. They knew he sucked and knew the team was going to suck with him. It's no coincidence he was out almost as soon as they moved over to OKC.

Ugh. It's hard for me not to get worked up over that situation. We put up with the losing years only for another city to reap the reward. Horrible.

dekjo

Payton has been good. I'm sure most of you have seen Sonicsgate but if not, I highly recommend it. It's free to watch online: http://vimeo.com/34273095

I saw it some time back - it is good, if painful to watch. I don't want the NBA in my city again; the whole experience just soured me too much on the game. I think I've watched two games of basketball this year and I don't miss it one bit.

rando14

OKC was handed a championship calibur team. They have such great fans because the fans haven't really had to put up with any shitty playing.

I'll always consider Durant a Seattle man. :cool:

dubc35

I remember back in old days when I was young (lol) I saw Nick Collison several times at bars in Belltown. It was their last year here. I chatted him up once. He seemed like a good guy, he said he was not happy to be moving to OKC. He also said it sucks for fans (obviously).

cdyhybrid

I remember back in old days when I was young (lol) I saw Nick Collison several times at bars in Belltown. It was their last year here. I chatted him up once. He seemed like a good guy, he said he was not happy to be moving to OKC. He also said it sucks for fans (obviously).

Del Rey? (RIP)

Saw him and Spencer Hawes there once.

dubc35

I also had a Shawn Kemp spree where I saw him three days in a row: Fri night in Belltown, Sat night in S. Lake Union area and Sunday playing bball at Green Lake. He was with, shall we say, a rather large woman in Belltown lol. My friend walked by to get to the bathroom and was thrown into an impromptu bump 'n grind with her, which Shawn started.

blurrygil

Original thread: 2012 Seattle Retro Gaming Expo - June 16th & 17th @ Bellevue Red Lion Hotel

SRGE2012_banner.gif

Seattle Retro Gaming Expo 2012
June 16th & 17th
Bellevue Red Lion Hotel in downtown Bellevue, WA
Tickets: $20 for both days; $15 single-day

For all ticket purchases, information on events, etc: >>SeattleRetro.org Website<<

Facebook Page: Seattle Retro on Facebook
Twitter Account: @SeattleRetro

This is a show I help put on, starting with things from last year. SeattleGAF, I know you love your classic games!! C'mon out and help support the classic gaming community! :-D

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
It's not the Seattle anything if it's in Bellevue.

Meh, everyone who works in Bellevue pretty much calls the place Seattle (probably because so many of the people who work here live in Seattle).

I generally include Shoreline, Bellevue, Kenmore, Kirkland, and Lake Forest Park (Redmond and Lynnwood, too, sometimes) when I refer to Seattle, only mentioning them by name when I need to be more specific.

Chichikov

Meh, everyone who works in Bellevue pretty much calls the place Seattle (probably because so many of the people who work here live in Seattle).
Sure, and everyone from Newark say they're from New York.
It doesn't make it true.

I generally include Shoreline, Bellevue, Kenmore, Kirkland, and Lake Forest Park when I refer to Seattle, only mentioning them by name when I need to be more specific.
I don't even include Ballard.
It's all considered the Seattle Metro area ;)
The important point I'm trying to get across is that fuck Bellevue.

FUCK BELLEVUE.

Why not Ballard? It's part of the city. Don't tell me you're one of those "if it's not on Capitol Hill, it's not the city" people. ;-)

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention FUCK BELLEVUE.

That would be the best tag ever, FUCK BELLEVUE.

Chichikov

FUCK BELLEVUE.

Why not Ballard? It's part of the city. Don't tell me you're one of those "if it's not on Capitol Hill, it's not the city" people. ;-)

I wasn't really serious.
Though I do hate Ballard.

(I should've used West Seattle, that's appropriate and true).

But yeah, FUCK BELLEVUE.

Bellevue is most certainly not Seattle, don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Regardless, I'd totally be at that expo if I didn't have to work both days. Have fun, guys!

blurrygil

FUCK BELLEVUE.

That would be the best tag ever, FUCK BELLEVUE.

Aaaaaaaaannnnnnnd...................derailed. lol

No, it's all cool.

But come support! I help put this thing on and it's gonna kick some ass. Lots of games, tournaments, networking, and of course: the buying of LOTS of cool collectible shit!!!

soco

I wasn't really serious.
Though I do hate Ballard.

(I should've used West Seattle, that's appropriate and true).

But yeah, FUCK BELLEVUE.

both ballard and west seattle are a pain to get to. fuck bellevue and all but at least its accessible.

Chichikov

both ballard and west seattle are a pain to get to. fuck bellevue and all but at least its accessible.
Which is the main reason why I hate them.
If you have to cross a body of water, it ain't Seattle no more in my book.
But my book is kinda stupid.

Also, the fact that it's easy to get to Bellevue is not really a plus, I'd rather be in traffic than in fucking Bellevue.

Blondie

Neo Member

Also, the fact that it's easy to get to Bellevue is not really a plus, I'd rather be in traffic than in fucking Bellevue.
Alki Beach motherfucker! But yeah, fuck Snob-vue. I've only been here 5 years and I hate the place and the Eastside in general. That shit ain't Seattle!

BTW I'm totally going to the Sonics Arena Rally on Thursday @ Occidental Park. I'm gonna be wearing my old Sonics Kemp jersey and I'm hoping to see him and Payton and get to shake their hands.

dLMN8R

I've lived in Bellevue, Kirkland, and Seattle.

I LOL when people call anything but Seattle Seattle. It's kinda cute.

Alki Beach motherfucker! But yeah, fuck Snob-vue. I've only been here 5 years and I hate the place and the Eastside in general. That shit ain't Seattle!

I've lived in Seattle for 10 years now, but was born and raised in South King County (which has it's own set of issues), so I've never viewed Bellevue in the most positive of lights.

Also did four years down in Tacoma at PLU and two years over in Ellensburg for graduate school.

dLMN8R

I don't hate the east side, I just think it's cute when people who live there try to pretend they live in the city. It's wildly different in every way.

I grew up in the suburbs and had a good experience, but it's not what I want now. The suburbs are very lacking in the cultural experiences that I value. I'm very excited to be raising my daughter in Seattle.

dLMN8R

I think Kirkland is an amazing place to live especially if you're close to downtown. Bellevue is just boring. It's hard to imagine another city where you can live right in the city, yet still be bored, and have to drive mostly everywhere.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

Ha! As someone who lives in North Seattle, screw you!

How can you just write off Greenlake, Wallingford, Fremont, Ballard, and the University District (just to name a few neighborhoods/districts)?

I don't hate the east side, I just think it's cute when people who live there try to pretend they live in the city. It's wildly different in every way.

I couldn't imagine living on the East Side. There's something about it that just doesn't sit well with me. I commute every day for work, but I definitely wouldn't want to live there.

I think Kirkland is an amazing place to live especially if you're close to downtown. Bellevue is just boring. It's hard to imagine another city where you can live right in the city, yet still be bored, and have to drive mostly everywhere.

It's insane just how dead downtown Bellevue is on the weekends. I've had to come into work on the occasional Saturday and the place just feels like a ghost town.

coldvein

Banned
glad to see yall didn't have a meetup without me.

bellevue sux in my opinion. my cousin lives in a condo on the 4000th floor of something over there .. ehhh.

Kirkland represent ! It is a very nice place to live and so much better than Bellevue. We call that place "The Matrix", fake, dead inside city. While Kirkland is the "east side", we don't have to worry about getting shot (as much).

This is a 5 minute walk from my place.
IMAG0209.jpg

Top Bottom