• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seattle-GAF!

jb1234

It was pretty limp. Massive snow showers for about an hour and then, nothing. Looks like south of the city got smacked pretty good, though. Lucky bastards.

It was pretty limp. Massive snow showers for about an hour and then, nothing. Looks like south of the city got smacked pretty good, though. Lucky bastards.

West Seattle got a good amount. It tried snowing here in Green Lake around 11pm and it was pretty but we woke up around 830am and there was nothing left.

jb1234

West Seattle got a good amount. It tried snowing here in Green Lake around 11pm and it was pretty but we woke up around 830am and there was nothing left.

I think I'll be constantly comparing Seattle snowfall to the great storm of December 2008 and it'll come up short, every time.

Speely

Banned

Yeah here in West Seattle I woke up to snow on the roof and still standing on the ground outside... nothing huge but it was white outside :) Melting off steadily now, though.

dLMN8R

In Fremont, Weather Underground around 11PM forecasted for snow around 2AM. But I was up until 4AM last night and never saw any snow, not even flurries that didn't stick around :-(

In Fremont, Weather Underground around 11PM forecasted for snow around 2AM. But I was up until 4AM last night and never saw any snow, not even flurries that didn't stick around :-(

Same thing here in GL. Light flurries for a bit that just left a dusting. All the news outlets said 50% chance of snow, so I wasn't surprised.

Laekon

I know this is a thread for the city of Seattle but I'm hoping some of you can provide some info on the surrounding area. I'm thinking of moving to the area but don't want to live in the city. Looking for something close enough to go into town for concerts and stuff but with little traffic, a handful of good restaurants/bars, and the ability to go on nice bike rides(prefer both road and mtn) right from out my door. I'm also a big hiker and would like to try out sea kayaking if I move close to the water. I'm in a field that can get a job almost anywhere. I've started to look into Everett, Bellevue, and even Olympia but thought I might be missing some places.

The only place I've been up there before is Redmond for 2 work trips. Had a good time riding the bike path to the track and then stopping at some brewery along the same path. Seemed like a shopping center town though.

I know this is a thread for the city of Seattle but I'm hoping some of you can provide some info on the surrounding area. I'm thinking of moving to the area but don't want to live in the city. Looking for something close enough to go into town for concerts and stuff but with little traffic, a handful of good restaurants/bars, and the ability to go on nice bike rides(prefer both road and mtn) right from out my door. I'm also a big hiker and would like to try out sea kayaking if I move close to the water. I'm in a field that can get a job almost anywhere. I've started to look into Everett, Bellevue, and even Olympia but thought I might be missing some places.

The only place I've been up there before is Redmond for 2 work trips. Had a good time riding the bike path to the track and then stopping at some brewery along the same path. Seemed like a shopping center town though.

They're all shopping center towns and the traffic is getting worse. Maybe Kirkland down by the lake? I dunno, I'm a city dweller.

I like Olympia, but it's a bit removed from the Seattle metro.

I am newish to Washington (1.5 years here) and live in Redmond. I think it does fit everything you're looking for, especially the bike part (I work for a bike company and really love the ease of riding here)..not sure what shopping center town means, there is the town center shopping if that is what you mean. I think it's a pretty good choice for where to live, especially traffic wise. I can leave in the morning to Seattle and with normal traffic its 20 minutes. If you live north or south of Seattle, it's much worse.

Personally, if I moved it would probably be to Issaquah. Bit further east, but right off the freeway.

Good luck with the move!

Laekon

They're all shopping center towns and the traffic is getting worse. Maybe Kirkland down by the lake? I dunno, I'm a city dweller.

I like Olympia, but it's a bit removed from the Seattle metro.

Yeah I know Olympia is a good ways from Seattle but it looks like it could be a cool town.

I am newish to Washington (1.5 years here) and live in Redmond. I think it does fit everything you're looking for, especially the bike part (I work for a bike company and really love the ease of riding here)..not sure what shopping center town means, there is the town center shopping if that is what you mean. I think it's a pretty good choice for where to live, especially traffic wise. I can leave in the morning to Seattle and with normal traffic its 20 minutes. If you live north or south of Seattle, it's much worse.

Personally, if I moved it would probably be to Issaquah. Bit further east, but right off the freeway.

Good luck with the move!

Kind of amusing, the reason I went to Redmond was to visit FSA. Not sure if someone else moved there as well. By shopping centers I meant strip malls all spread out with only national brands. Very few local businesses, specially restaurants to provide some culture. I look into Issaquah. Not being familiar with the area makes it seem like it's further away.

Not moving yet, just looking for places to apply to.

The things you want are in Seattle and not so much over on the eastside. It's very much strip malls and suburban sprawl over there.

Downtown Olympia would be for you if you're not interested in Seattle proper which has those things.

leroidys

Yeah I know Olympia is a good ways from Seattle but it looks like it could be a cool town.

Kind of amusing, the reason I went to Redmond was to visit FSA. Not sure if someone else moved there as well. By shopping centers I meant strip malls all spread out with only national brands. Very few local businesses, specially restaurants to provide some culture. I look into Issaquah. Not being familiar with the area makes it seem like it's further away.

Not moving yet, just looking for places to apply to.
Why do you want to be near Seattle in particular? Honestly Portland is more fun for day trips IMHO.

Laekon

The things you want are in Seattle and not so much over on the eastside. It's very much strip malls and suburban sprawl over there.

Downtown Olympia would be for you if you're not interested in Seattle proper which has those things.

Why do you want to be near Seattle in particular? Honestly Portland is more fun for day trips IMHO.
I've lived in New England, the south, Texas, and So Cal but never in the NW or Rockies. The end of a relationship and the start of a new career have me interested in moving away from LA/Ventura counties. It's not Seattle in particular just a large city with multiple hospitals(work) and mountains. Denver, Portland, and Seattle pretty much top the list and Seattle and Portland have better pay then Denver with similar cost of living. I know the least about the Seattle area so posted here. Smaller towns like Bend( my favorite), Bellingham, or Olympia would be perfect but want more options for work and city things to do.

I appreciate all the replies.

leroidys

I've lived in New England, the south, Texas, and So Cal but never in the NW or Rockies. The end of a relationship and the start of a new career have me interested in moving away from LA/Ventura counties. It's not Seattle in particular just a large city with multiple hospitals(work) and mountains. Denver, Portland, and Seattle pretty much top the list and Seattle and Portland have better pay then Denver with similar cost of living. I know the least about the Seattle area so posted here. Smaller towns like Bend( my favorite), Bellingham, or Olympia would be perfect but want more options for work and city things to do.

I appreciate all the replies.
Bellingham might be a good choice. ~1 hour to Vancouver, ~1.5 hours to Seattle, lots of nature, lots to do.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Just got back from Leavenworth. Looked like a Christmas card. Good reminder that people have no idea how to drive in the snow. Even locals who're used to it. We got stuck behind a Daihatsu charade on Blewett Pass and I watched about fourteen Ram/F150s try to overtake it on thick icy snow in the center divide, all with very poor results, including one spin out.

I also saw something really weird - lots of new looking Confederate flags and license holders. In WA. An hour and a half from Seattle. And plenty of Trump paraphernelia. I guess they really did see this as a mandate for racism above all else.

There is ZERO non racist reason to have a confederate flag on a vehicle two thousand miles from the mason dixon line.

lawnchair

Banned
I also saw something really weird - lots of new looking Confederate flags and license holders. In WA. An hour and a half from Seattle. And plenty of Trump paraphernelia. I guess they really did see this as a mandate for racism above all else..

hearing this type of stuff makes me not want to leave the cities. what the fuck. create the bubble i dont care

Just got back from Leavenworth. Looked like a Christmas card. Good reminder that people have no idea how to drive in the snow. Even locals who're used to it. We got stuck behind a Daihatsu charade on Blewett Pass and I watched about fourteen Ram/F150s try to overtake it on thick icy snow in the center divide, all with very poor results, including one spin out.

I also saw something really weird - lots of new looking Confederate flags and license holders. In WA. An hour and a half from Seattle. And plenty of Trump paraphernelia. I guess they really did see this as a mandate for racism above all else.

There is ZERO non racist reason to have a confederate flag on a vehicle two thousand miles from the mason dixon line.

That's nothing new sadly. Get outside population centers in WA and its always been there. Fortunately we outnumber them greatly.

And don't hide in your bubble. Get outside the city and appreciate the wonders of nature. They don't own it.

leroidys

It's really weird to see rural communities in far flung places adopt this weird faux country culture over the past several decades as if it's their heritage.

jb1234

That's nothing new sadly. Get outside population centers in WA and its always been there. Fortunately we outnumber them greatly.

And don't hide in your bubble. Get outside the city and appreciate the wonders of nature. They don't own it.

Yeah, the culture gap between the Seattle metro area and pretty much the rest of the state is quite large. I spent some time in Eastern Washington a few years ago and felt like I was in a different state altogether.

Yeah, the culture gap between the Seattle metro area and pretty much the rest of the state is quite large. I spent some time in Eastern Washington a few years ago and felt like I was in a different state altogether.

I lived in Ellensburg for two years while in graduate school. The town itself was pretty liberal due to the university but get a few miles out to Kittitas and it's quite different. Same thing with Yakima: liberal but surrounded by small conservative farm communities.

Spokane is liberal as well, which just shows the power of cities.

riotous

Banned
Just saw a transformer at the substation in Wallingford go boom.

Lots of multi colored lights and a loud bang.

And now no electricity. :(

Interesting; news / city light didn't know what caused it for a good couple of hours.

Guess people should call that sort of thing in.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Just saw a transformer at the substation in Wallingford go boom.

Lots of multi colored lights and a loud bang.

And now no electricity. :(

I heard it. Cool sound. Sounded like an apocalyptic explosion that went off too soon and got embarrassed and stopped itself.

GAWOOOooommm...ummm.

dLMN8R

So is it just my lack of experience with udon, or is U Don in university district amazing?

It's so damned flavorful, and I love that you can pick all your own toppings. The noodles they make there are also delicious!

<3 that place

riotous

Banned
Highly recommend the seafood Udon at I Love Sushi on lake union. Forget the japanese name they use, and it's not always on the menu, but if you ask for seafood udon they'll know what you are asking for. It's incredibly delicious.

Ah found it, it's on their brunch menu but they'll make it any time:

nabeyaki udon with king crab 16
udon noodle in clay pot, scallop, shrimp tempura, egg, fsh cake

karasu

Anyone know of a place in Seattle where I could stay for like a month for under 2grand? I've seen a few but I'm just checking just in case someone knows of something better.

Anyone know of a place in Seattle where I could stay for like a month for under 2grand? I've seen a few but I'm just checking just in case someone knows of something better.

Have you checked Airbnb? Some hosts allow you to do longer visits and will even give you a discount if you stay more than a week. I did that when I had to stay a few months in Boston.

karasu

Have you checked Airbnb? Some hosts allow you to do longer visits and will even give you a discount if you stay more than a week. I did that when I had to stay a few months in Boston.

Yeah, I have. I've seen some nice stuff but I'm wary about staying with strangers. Honestly, a huge part of the reason I'm going is to legally smoke like crazy and escape the shit I just went through and those people would not be cool with it.

Top Bottom