• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seattle-GAF!

LiveWire

marathonfool said:
About time people call out these "local" favorites. Red Mill ain't nothing special. It tastes like Costco burgers I make from the grill. The bacon is good, but seriously, how can you screw up bacon if cooked fresh.

Blue Moon is underrated. The one in Fremont is pretty good. Try the BOKA burger at the BOKA Kitchen in downtown. Go happy hour for a reasonably priced gourmet burger. Painted Hill's beef, Beecher's cheddar, house pickles, pickled onion, and truffle fries.

5 Guys is ok, but I would only go there to eat calories, not for taste.

It's like you're inside my mind.

blurrygil said:
F*ck freaknight. I hate the people that run that show, personally. It used to be brilliant, word-of-mouth, online find and have a good time type of gig. I swear to gawd they give away more tix on the radio than sell em, now. Ya get nothing but idiot girls from the state colleges and jocks in there, cos it's so marketed. A lot like all the USC events 'round here. Just terrible, imo.

Keep in mind, I used to spin. So I can come off as a dick about it all. But it honestly just isn't the same anymore.
I snuck into freaknight when it landed in Centralia ... 10 years ago? Was fun, but the naked trampoline jumper on X was kind of odd. I was tripping the whole time though.

coldvein said:
i've only been here like six months, could use more tips on good local beer.

i drink manny's alot.
Too many to mention, but I like Mac and Jack's African Amber, pretty much anything from Snoqualmie Falls Brewery, and Lava Rock Porter by Dick's Brewing Co (from my hometown of Centralia lol). Talking about this makes me want to go back :(

coldvein

Banned
macuser1of5 said:
Too many to mention, but I like Mac and Jack's African Amber, pretty much anything from Snoqualmie Falls Brewery, and Lava Rock Porter by Dick's Brewing Co (from my hometown of Centralia lol). Talking about this makes me want to go back :(

will check 'em out. i've had that african amber, agree that it's pretty good.

Chichikov

3N16MA said:
I have never been to Seattle but just popping in to say your cities skyline is beautiful.
You should know that the Seattle skyline you see in pictures is pretty much a fabrication.
The space needle isn't near any of the high rises, and it's not as high as you think (it's on a little hill).

All those "Fraiser shots" are force perspective pictures, usually taken from a place where no one lives.

This is what it really looks like -
vA42T.jpg

OuterWorldVoice said:
If you really want a sandwich nobody, not even a New Yorker will argue with, go to Paseo on Fremont. Insider tip, order before you go and pick up to avoid line madness.

I was just about to mention this place (went for the first time recently).

Amazingly good.

dLMN8R said:
psst the Pyramid Haywire Hef is the best local beer.

Not a Porter fan? Georgetown Porter is my personal favorite beer, period, local or otherwise.

coldvein said:

i drink manny's alot.

As the previous poster said, definitely Mac & Jacks African Amber. In fact, if you're a beer fan, the Mac & Jacks brewery tour in Redmond is pretty neat. It's all free and you get a free pint glass and get to sample 4 of their beers.

Hale's Ales in Ballard has some pretty solid beer as well. Their Supergoose IPA is pretty popular and their Troll Porter is fantastic.

My personal favorite is probably anything from Elysian Brewing though. Try their Men's Room Red Ale (don't be scared, it's named after the radio show), The Wise ESB or their Immortal IPA. Also their pumpkin ale is supposed to be pretty good but I've never actually had it.

Pacific Northwest is pretty much beer heaven.

luckyboyceo said:
As the previous poster said, definitely Mac & Jacks African Amber. In fact, if you're a beer fan, the Mac & Jacks brewery tour in Redmond is pretty neat. It's all free and you get a free pint glass and get to sample 4 of their beers.

Hale's Ales in Ballard has some pretty solid beer as well. Their Supergoose IPA is pretty popular and their Troll Porter is fantastic.

My personal favorite is probably anything from Elysian Brewing though. Try their Men's Room Red Ale (don't be scared, it's named after the radio show), The Wise ESB or their Immortal IPA. Also their pumpkin ale is supposed to be pretty good but I've never actually had it.

Pacific Northwest is pretty much beer heaven.
Ah yeah, forgot about those other co's.

Last sentence sums it up really :(

D23

coldvein said:

i drink manny's alot.

MAC AND JACKS

seriously.. my favorite beer of all time

Mac and Jack African Amber is a great "welcome to beer!" beer. But after a while it gets a bit stale.

coldvein said:

i drink manny's alot.

Fremont Brewing, Big Time (U District), Hale's (Ballard/Fremont border), Epic Ales (SoDo), Schooner Exact (SoDo) and Naked City (Greenwood) all make killer beers. Epic in particular makes beers that no one else in the state is even thinking about.

If you're over on the Eastside, Black Raven in Redmond makes incredible stuff. One of the few reasons that we should not nuke everything over there.

I had a growler of Icculus IPA from Big Time today while tailgating with friends before the UW game. It was pretty good.

D23 said:
u forgot XXX burger in Issaquah (my city) burger is hugeee and they have one of the best root beer ever!

XXX is only okay foodwise - the car shows they have are pretty neat though.

Hilbert said:
I while ago I collected a list of burger places I had to try in the seattle area. I am going to add this Uneeda place. I got most of these from one of those seattle magazines, but I am always looking for more places to add. This is my list:

Jak's Grill

Jak's is very good. I've only been to the one in Issaquah though.

Haven't lived in Seattle for over 3 years now though, so things could have changed/my memory could be off. I would certainly live there again when I'm on my own, or at least visit for PAX Prime or the like if I had the opportunity. Was really quite sad as I was planning to go to PAX in 2008, but ended up moving rather suddenly about a week or two before.

Yo. Where are all the good nightclubs & shit/etc in town now? House/electro/techno plz. I'll be rolling in mid-late October so if anyone wants to get drunk and start fights let me know.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Chichikov said:
It's not even the tallest building in Seattle.

You can't ever know or understand how useful your response is, but thank you anyway.

Again, once more woth feeling

The best Cuban sandwich you will have in Seattle, and possibly North of Cuba, is at Paseo on Fremont avenue. Call ahead and pick up.

blurrygil

macuser1of5 said:
Yo. Where are all the good nightclubs & shit/etc in town now? House/electro/techno plz. I'll be rolling in mid-late October so if anyone wants to get drunk and start fights let me know.

Last Supper Club (LSC) or Chop Suey for most electro shows are pretty hoppin and don't have sh*tty owners/talent. LSC is awesome as the owners just celebrated 11 years and the couple are awesome. Lots of a good, local talent along with wicked local legends ala DJ Dan, Donald Glaude, and Chris Lawrence are fairly frequent up there. Plus, the venue is quite nice as it's not underground in some 120 yr old dank basement in Pioneer Square...

Trinity is clean and nice but doesn't have very good talent behind the decks. They'll sometimes have headliners, to which they'll charge ya up the arse for the evening. At least at LSC, you pay a reasonable door for these gigs.

See Sound Lounge is pretty awesome too. Haven't been in some time, however.

Hope that helps ya get started.

luckyboyceo said:

Sweet, I never knew about the Mac and Jack's tour and they are about 5 minutes from my house! I've done the Red Hook brewery tour in Woodinville which is also great (free glass and plenty of free samples)

Also, Paseo is the food that I would have for my last meal before the zombie apocalypse.

blurrygil

Darth Pinche said:
Sweet, I never knew about the Mac and Jack's tour and they are about 5 minutes from my house! I've done the Red Hook brewery tour in Woodinville which is also great (free glass and plenty of free samples)

Also, Paseo is the food that I would have for my last meal before the zombie apocalypse.

MnJ tour is brilliant. Also, you should visit Black Raven Brewery in Redmond. I don't think do tours, but their beer is billiant! In addition, Big Al's in West Seattle is legit. They brew and sell our beer for the Emerald City Supporters (ECS), Brougham Bitter. It's our formula/recipe, marketing, label and support that has the beer distributed within the grounds at Royal Brougham Park (or for the corporately familiar, Century Link Field) and over 60 pubs in Seattle...in less than 2 years. They also have year-round events and brilliant bands and shows AT the brewery.

Here's some links for ya:

Big Al's Brewery

Black Raven Brewery

Cheers lads!!!

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
I'm going to have some younger friends visiting in a couple of weeks and was wondering if there are any good (or even decent) all-ages or 18+ clubs in the city? I know Neighbors has this occasionally, but it appears to only be after 2am on Friday and Saturday, which seems pretty stupid. I'd like to be able to take them out dancing or something and the options are looking rather limited.

Renmei

Banned
I've been stationed at Fort Lewis for over a year now but have never actually visited Seattle recently. As a child I've been there before and done the usual touristy stuff like Space Needle , Olympic National Park and Pike Place Market, but I'm looking for some fun and unique ideas for a few young males to do that doesn't include drinking.

zerotol

Banned
Renmei said:
I've been stationed at Fort Lewis for over a year now but have never actually visited Seattle recently. As a child I've been there before and done the usual touristy stuff like Space Needle , Olympic National Park and Pike Place Market, but I'm looking for some fun and unique ideas for a few young males to do that doesn't include drinking.

Possibly the EMP if you guys are interested in music. They have a pretty impressive display of rock and roll treasures.. especially Jimi Hendrix stuff. And it is a lot of fun that doesn't involve drinking.

cdyhybrid

Cosmic Bus said:
I'm going to have some younger friends visiting in a couple of weeks and was wondering if there are any good (or even decent) all-ages or 18+ clubs in the city? I know Neighbors has this occasionally, but it appears to only be after 2am on Friday and Saturday, which seems pretty stupid. I'd like to be able to take them out dancing or something and the options are looking rather limited.

Only one I know of is Fusion in the U-District.

Never been so I can't comment on the quality, even though I live about three blocks away, but it seems a little shady to me.

On the beer discussion above, the best advice I can give to someone looking for beers to try is to try them all :)

I went to Tavern Law for the first time a few weeks ago, and I loved it. The cocktails were fucking phenomenal and were quite potent. Didn't have the opportunity to hit up the speakeasy upstairs, but I'm definitely planning on going back.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
cdyhybrid said:
Only one I know of is Fusion in the U-District.

Never been so I can't comment on the quality, even though I live about three blocks away, but it seems a little shady to me.

Yeah, I've heard mostly terrible thing about this place, so it sounds like we might just have to stick with an '80s dance party in my apartment, haha. Good thing I'm on the ground floor. ;)

I wanted to get us tickets for the Robyn show that weekend, but it's going on the night before they get into town, so it's a no-go. I doubt we'll be bored or anything (going to see Portishead on Sunday, at least) but since there aren't really any good all-ages clubs near where they live, I had hoped Seattle might deliver.

Cosmic Bus said:
Yeah, I've heard mostly terrible thing about this place, so it sounds like we might just have to stick with an '80s dance party in my apartment, haha. Good thing I'm on the ground floor. ;)

I wanted to get us tickets for the Robyn show that weekend, but it's going on the night before they get into town, so it's a no-go. I doubt we'll be bored or anything (going to see Portishead on Sunday, at least) but since there aren't really any good all-ages clubs near where they live, I had hoped Seattle might deliver.

Seattle sucks for all-ages options. It's much better than it used to be, though. Before I turned 21 in 2002 I often had to drive to Vancouver or Portland to see bands play since the Seattle show was always 21+. Stupid Teen Dance Ordinance.

Chichikov

Cosmic Bus said:
I don't think there's any real decent under 21 club in the city, your best bet is an all ages show in one of the usual venues.

Though if they're coming in two weeks, that's Halloween, and there's shitload of parties that weekend.

Bebpo is coming to Seattle later this week. We'll be at the Boris show at Neumo's on Wednesday.

I'm taking him around the city on Thursday to check out stuff that I think he'd like. And breweries. Lots of breweries.

Chichikov said:
I don't think there's any real decent under 21 club in the city, your best bet is an all ages show in one of the usual venues.

Though if they're coming in two weeks, that's Halloween, and there's shitload of parties that weekend.

This. Definitely don't go to Fusion, under any circumstance. That place is awful.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
distantmantra said:
Bebpo is coming to Seattle later this week. We'll be at the Boris show at Neumo's on Wednesday.

I'm taking him around the city on Thursday to check out stuff that I think he'd like. And breweries. Lots of breweries.

I hope you aren't going to show up for Boris on Wednesday because the concert is on Tuesday. :)

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
You're right, it is the 12th. I'm positive I saw it listed as the 11th recently, but the article was obviously incorrect. Now I would've been the one looking confused, heh.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
I have yet to venture outside the city on my own; my visits to Vancouver have been with friends who have a car. If I wanted to go up to Bellingham for a concert, is the Amtrak or Greyhound going to be my best (only?) option? Looking over their schedules, it seems like I'm going to end up having to spend the night, too, which is unfortunate and a bit strange. There aren't any late night buses or trains to/from Seattle?

Cosmic Bus said:
I have yet to venture outside the city on my own; my visits to Vancouver have been with friends who have a car. If I wanted to go up to Bellingham for a concert, is the Amtrak or Greyhound going to be my best (only?) option? Looking over their schedules, it seems like I'm going to end up having to spend the night, too, which is unfortunate and a bit strange. There aren't any late night buses or trains to/from Seattle?

I don't think so. What about Zip Car?

Top Bottom