• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seattle-GAF!

Hey Seattle GAF. I'm looking for some restaurant recommendations in your awesome city. I'll be visiting town for my birthday in March and wanted to treat myself to something nice. Just based on some light research, I'm thinking about doing an Omakase dinner at Shiro's with a friend or two. Any other ideas? How's Lark?

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
I haven't had the opportunity to eat at many higher-end places in the city so far, but I can tell you that Mistral Kitchen is wooonderful (the Jewel Box tasting menus look amazing, but those were out of our price range) and the Book Bindery could change your life - not to mention it's so gorgeous inside.

If for some reason your visit takes you into West Seattle, go go go to Bakery Nouveau; barring that, swing by Yellow Leaf Cupcake Co. near downtown since I work there. ;)

Hey Seattle GAF. I'm looking for some restaurant recommendations in your awesome city. I'll be visiting town for my birthday in March and wanted to treat myself to something nice. Just based on some light research, I'm thinking about doing an Omakase dinner at Shiro's with a friend or two. Any other ideas? How's Lark?

Before I left, I had a Groupon for Flying Fish in Belltown or around that area anyway. It was quite decent though the prices are higher than a regular restaurant.

Thanks for the wonderful suggestions so far. I'm going to stay open minded and say I don't really have a preference as far as what kind of cuisine. I'm just looking for a unique dining experience.

Edit: I guess I should also add that I'm not much of a drinker these days.

swing by Yellow Leaf Cupcake Co. near downtown since I work there. ;)

au mon, I would love to meet a fellow gaffer on my visit, despite my general negative experiences with cupcakes. Also, I went to Bakery Nouveau the last time I visited. Amazing.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
It's because frosting is usually heavy and super sugary, right? Tastes like something out of the '50s? Ours is not like that at all. We use a meringue base, very little sugar, and all sorts of really cool extracts and oils to flavor it.

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade

I took my sister and my girlfriend to Tilth for their birthdays once. It was pretty damn expensive, but one of the best meals of my life. We got the tasting menu and quite a few drinks which I am sure is what made it so expensive.

There are a lot of great restaurants here so if you could give from preferences, I could give some more suggestions. BTW I found the Book Bindery overated. It is good, but I did not think it was that special. It is the kind of place where you pay $100 for "watermelon infused fois gras froth over a pressed chanterelle terrine". You think "what exactly is this?" is this and then you'll leave still hungry. They try too hard. Just my opinion, though.

Badgerst3

Is there a northern Seattle town that gets a bit less rain and edges the mountains to the east that is pretty nice?

Wife and I thinking of a late summer rental for 2 weeks with the idea we may move in 4-5 years.

We live in north San Diego now- Carlsbad. Been to downtown seattle area twice for vacations. Loved it.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Anyone been to The Walrus and The Carpenter? Its an Oyster bar in Ballard.

Yeah. but most of the food isn't oysters. That's sort of their main specialty, if I. Recall.

I would also make this my weekend food tour:

Sat breakfast: Voula's by the shore - gross but delicious diner food.
Sat Lunch: Paseo's on Fremont Ave for best Cuban sandwich ever. If closed, then Samurai Noodle for a bowl of Tonkatsu or Tonkatsu from hell ramen.
Sat Dinner: Tilth (in my neighborhood!) for local and imaginative high end cuisine.

Sunday Brunch: Din Tai Fung for dim sum and soup dumplings in Bellevue. Cheesy, expensive, busy and worth all that shit.
Afternoon snack: coffee and fresh top pot donuts.
Sunday Dinner: Omakase, at Shiros, just like the guy wanted. Amazing. On a great night, better than any sushi I've had, here or Japan.

Yeah. but most of the food isn't oysters. That's sort of their main specialty, if I. Recall.

I would also make this my weekend food tour:

Sat breakfast: Voula's by the shore - gross but delicious diner food.
Sat Lunch: Paseo's on Fremont Ave for best Cuban sandwich ever. If closed, then Samurai Noodle for a bowl of Tonkatsu or Tonkatsu from hell ramen.
Sat Dinner: Tilth (in my neighborhood!) for local and imaginative high end cuisine.

THIS THIS THIS. Paseo's is hands down the best Cuban sandwich you will ever have, probably my favorite sandwich period.

Unfortunately, I think they're closed the first part of the year. Not positive about that though. More a Spring/Summer food anyways.

EDIT: Just checked their website. Closed until February. LAME.

Sumidor

Sunday Brunch: Din Tai Fung for dim sum and soup dumplings in Bellevue. Cheesy, expensive, busy and worth all that shit.

This place is awesome if you like to drink scotch as well. The last time I was here, I got a double Macallan 12 for 11 bucks. The food is awesome, but it gets crazy busy. Sitting at the bar, is the way to go.

Man, I'm going to have a really tough time narrowing down all these great suggestions. Thanks guys!

I tried going to Paseo's last time when I was in Seattle and unfortunately they were closed, so it's definitely on my to do list this time. Haha also I'll have to skip out on Din Tai Fung having grown up around the San Gabriel Valley in SoCal and having my fair share of it already.

dubc35

Is there a northern Seattle town that gets a bit less rain and edges the mountains to the east that is pretty nice?

Wife and I thinking of a late summer rental for 2 weeks with the idea we may move in 4-5 years.

We live in north San Diego now- Carlsbad. Been to downtown seattle area twice for vacations. Loved it.

The summers here are generally very dry. It's kind of like the rainy and dry seasons rather than spring, summer, fall & winter.

There isn't anything to the east that will have less rain. North of Seattle there is also the convergence zone where it rains a little more than in the city. The only place in the area that will have less rain is the Sequim area which is on the NE corner of the Olympic peninsula.

dLMN8R

If you're coming in the summer you don't need to worry about rain.

Wolfe

Wet and grey, keeps everything green just about year round which I love.

Also yes, Seattle gets a good amount of rain but it's still greatly exaggerated by most that don't actually know the area it seems. Summers rule here.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
It's because frosting is usually heavy and super sugary, right? Tastes like something out of the '50s? Ours is not like that at all. We use a meringue base, very little sugar, and all sorts of really cool extracts and oils to flavor it.

I'm going to go there. I will say hi. Do you look like an orange anthropomorphisedfruit?

skip

I took my sister and my girlfriend to Tilth for their birthdays once. It was pretty damn expensive, but one of the best meals of my life. We got the tasting menu and quite a few drinks which I am sure is what made it so expensive.

my brother's friend from high school is jason brzozowy, the chef de cuisine at tilth. he was part of a team that took down iron chef morimoto a while back. went there to eat the first night I moved to seattle and did the same tasting menu/wine awesomeness. loved it.

If for some reason your visit takes you into West Seattle, go go go to Bakery Nouveau; barring that, swing by Yellow Leaf Cupcake Co. near downtown since I work there. ;)

Been living on the Eastside for almost a year now (and have been lurking this thread since then!) and I am pumped to go to Yellow Leaf Cupcake Co. when I'm downtown this weekend because I haven't heard of it and it looks delicious.

Thanks for plugging it. :)

If anyone finds themselves on the Eastside, I always recommend or take people to the Village Square Cafe in Redmond (the parent company owns a few cafes throughout the area) for breakfast or lunch and Tropea (Redmond) for a nice dinner.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
Been living on the Eastside for almost a year now (and have been lurking this thread since then!) and I am pumped to go to Yellow Leaf Cupcake Co. when I'm downtown this weekend because I haven't heard of it and it looks delicious.

Thanks for plugging it. :)

If anyone finds themselves on the Eastside, I always recommend or take people to the Village Square Cafe in Redmond (the parent company owns a few cafes throughout the area) for breakfast or lunch and Tropea (Redmond) for a nice dinner.
Wow, I've worked by that Village Square Cafe for 8 years now, and have never gone inside. I just looked at their menu, wtf am I doing? I'm going there tomorrow or sometime next week for sure. I also live right by the Woodinville Cafe as well. Who'da thunk it?

I have been to Tropea a few times, and yes, that place is amazing. I always get the lasagna and I keep saying I won't eat the whole thing, buuuut I eat the whole thing.

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
I live right next to village square cafe, we went there once for sandwiches and they took an hour to get out. We haven't gone back since.

Hehe. If I come in, I probably wouldn't even say anything about GAF.

I, on the other hand, will do exactly what I do when I go literally anywhere. Lock eyes from across the room. Slightly arch my left eyebrow. Mouth "GAF?" If they nod, I rub my nipples. If not, I curl up in fetal position and cry and/or crap my pants.

In the spirit of all the GAF meet-up threads lately, any Seattle gaffers interested in doing a Seattle-GAF meet-up? Say, 2 or 3 weeks from now?

Maybe a spot with a good happy hour? I know The Garage on Capitol Hill has a great happy hour during the afternoon/early-evening on weekends. Suggestions are very much welcomed though. Let me know.

cdyhybrid

In the spirit of all the GAF meet-up threads lately, any Seattle gaffers interested in doing a Seattle-GAF meet-up? Say, 2 or 3 weeks from now?

Maybe a spot with a good happy hour? I know The Garage on Capitol Hill has a great happy hour during the afternoon/early-evening on weekends. Suggestions are very much welcomed though. Let me know.

I'd have to get used to the idea of hanging out with people from the internet :p I might be down though. Only problem is my work schedule, I probably won't be able to make it at an hour that works for everyone else. I'll monitor things, though!

Quick question - thinking of checking out the 24 Hour Super Sport at Northgate since I dunno how much longer I can keep going to the IMA, but I need a squat rack and a platform to deadlift (and ideally multiple ones, so I don't have to wait in line, but I'd probably be going later at night so it's not required to have more than one). I've never been to the 24 up there, anyone here have experience with it? It's awfully expensive and no way in hell am I gonna pay all that if they don't even have the equipment I want. I could just drive up there and look but it's kind of out of the way.

toxicgonzo

Taxes?! Isn't this the line for Metallica?
A meet-up? I'm down for that.

I can promise to bring two girls.

I would have suggested meeting at the gaming tavern AFK, but it's in everett and I doubt everyone wants to travel there.

My daughter should be born in the next two to three weeks. No meet-ups for me for a while.

I'd have to get used to the idea of hanging out with people from the internet :p I might be down though. Only problem is my work schedule, I probably won't be able to make it at an hour that works for everyone else. I'll monitor things, though!

Quick question - thinking of checking out the 24 Hour Super Sport at Northgate since I dunno how much longer I can keep going to the IMA, but I need a squat rack and a platform to deadlift (and ideally multiple ones, so I don't have to wait in line, but I'd probably be going later at night so it's not required to have more than one). I've never been to the 24 up there, anyone here have experience with it? It's awfully expensive and no way in hell am I gonna pay all that if they don't even have the equipment I want. I could just drive up there and look but it's kind of out of the way.

No clue. My wife goes to American Athlete in Greenlake since it's a five minute walk from our house. My gym is the streets of Greenlake, Roosevelt, Fremont, Wallingford and the U-District. Sunday morning runs through Greek Row are VERY entertaining.

denomes

I'm moving to Seattle this Saturday to start a new job. Super excited, but also nervous. I'm not gonna have any friends at the start so I'd definitely be down for a meet-up.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
I went last summer and it was the best few days of my life.
Be sure to check out the freemont troll, kerry park and the gum wall.

Thanks for the reply guys. I counted anywhere from about 5-9 people interested but hopefully more will see this and/or the new thread once it's up.

Tentatively, I'm thinking Saturday, February 25th. How does that sound? That's about 2.5 weeks from now.

The plan is still to hold it at The Garage on Capitol Hill. I figured it's a central enough area for everyone, plus there are plenty of places nearby incase we wanted to walk somewhere else. It's a 21+ establishment so if that's going to be an issue, let me know.

A meet-up? I'm down for that.

I can promise to bring two girls.

I would have suggested meeting at the gaming tavern AFK, but it's in everett and I doubt everyone wants to travel there.
If we wanted a place that had games, Gameworks is always an option. Yes, they've gone downhill over the years, but they still have a decent gaming area and a bar.

I'd be interested. Meet up at the Fremont Troll?

Only one person shows up.
I know you weren't serious but Freemont is a cool. Can get a little bit douchey on the weekends though. Probably not the ideal place for a GAF meetup.

My daughter should be born in the next two to three weeks. No meet-ups for me for a while.
Congratulations!

oneHeero

What a nice coincidence. I'll be going to Seattle this Friday, staying at the Sheraton in Bellevue. I'll be there on business until Tuesday.

Per google maps, there are a ton of places to eat right around the area. Any good bars I should hit up? I am going to the Lego Store in the mall for sure! Any nice parks or sights in walking area?

Also, any 420 Seattle Gaf willing to help me out? I'll pay for your stash (a reasonable amount :p) if you dont mind dropping off something.

Top Bottom