• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seattle-GAF!

dLMN8R

Anyone have suggestions for running on the northern part of Broadway East in Capitol Hill? Volunteer park is close, and one alternative.

Anyone going to the "Indie Game: The Movie" showing this Friday at the SIFF theater?

Aw man I saw Don Hertzfeldt there a month or two ago but had no idea Indie Game was being shown there. Can't go at this point, other plans :-(

someday

Banned
Yeah, I considered that, but it doesn't seem like the best place to do sprints, with the bikers and walkers and all that. Also rain would make it kinda dangerous I think.

The rain doesn't affect it too much but you're right that sprints would be harder with the bikers. Depending on when you're out there and where you jump in, you can have the trail almost to yourself.

How about Greenlake? It's 2 1/2 miles inside and 3 1/4 or so outside. I love the outside run but it does get muddy in parts. No bikes or rollerbladders though since it's rocky in one part.

Greenlake itself is a nice flat run, but I've done it so many times over the years that I'm absolutely bored of it. I love running the U District, dodging students.

tabsina

So I'm not exactly sure if this is the best place to post this, but let's see how we go...

I just moved to Seattle from Australia and am looking to set up Comcast (I was told that Comcast gets the best signal in my apartment complex) for TV + Internet

My issue is that I can't figure out how the channels work here.. if I want HBO is there no other way than paying for the most expensive package? Even if I don't want any other special channels (I want NBC, AMC, FOX, some others too, but I assume they all come standard?)

any help? thanks

cdyhybrid

So I'm not exactly sure if this is the best place to post this, but let's see how we go...

I just moved to Seattle from Australia and am looking to set up Comcast (I was told that Comcast gets the best signal in my apartment complex) for TV + Internet

My issue is that I can't figure out how the channels work here.. if I want HBO is there no other way than paying for the most expensive package? Even if I don't want any other special channels (I want NBC, AMC, FOX, some others too, but I assume they all come standard?)

any help? thanks

I don't know the specifics because I only have the basic 70ish channel package, so you might be able to order specific channels, but yes, you might have to upgrade to get channels like HBO. NBC, AMC, FOX, CBS, etc. all come with the standard package.

Edit: Seattle-Bellevue 9th most stressful city in the country :(

http://www.king5.com/news/cities/se...stressed-out-cities-says-study-143652706.html

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
cross posting from another thread, didn't know this existed.
Got accepted to University of Washington M.Architecture and will be going up there next weekend to check out the campus and the program.

Any Seattle area GAFers that can recommend fun/cool stuff that my family and I should see while we are up there? Also good food recommendations wins you a permanent spot in my heart
bad food recommendations go on ignore list!

------
This is Seattle, we don't do formal.

And I'm not sure what constitutes a casual urban sit-down.
Is $20 a person okay?
What about $50?

But on the cheaper (and ethnic) side -
Hue Ky Mi Gia is the best noodles I had in the states, and Maneki is just a phenomenal Japanese restaurant (there are probably better sushi places in Seattle, but as an overall Japanese restaurant, nothing comes close).

Thanks!
20 a person is a-ok, I doubt we will hit up anything at the $50 a plate scale on this trip.

Both of those sound very good, will try to hit at least one of those.

EDIT: I had a friend recommend "Sitka and Spruce" has anyone been there?

cdyhybrid

cross posting from another thread, didn't know this existed.

------

Thanks!
20 a person is a-ok, I doubt we will hit up anything at the $50 a plate scale on this trip.

Both of those sound very good, will try to hit at least one of those.

What kind of stuff are you into? Are you just looking to do all the usual tourist stuff? As far as restaurants, what kind of food do you like?

Sitka and Spruce is good. How to Cook a Wolf is my favorite from that price range.

You like beer? Hit up the Urban Beer Garden at Fremont Brewing over the weekend.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
What kind of stuff are you into? Are you just looking to do all the usual tourist stuff? As far as restaurants, what kind of food do you like?

I should say we were in the Seattle about three years ago. did all the downtown, Pikes Market, pioneer square, space needle stuff. We will be in the university district a lot, our hotel is downtown, and we may cruise through some neighborhoods to get a vibe of the housing etc.

When I was there last time I never thought I might live there so I was looking at it through a different lens. Basically we are trying to get an idea if this is someplace we could see moving our family to, at least for a few years.

Sitka and Spruce is good. How to Cook a Wolf is my favorite from that price range.

You like beer? Hit up the Urban Beer Garden at Fremont Brewing over the weekend.
Do I like beer? of course! will do.
How to Cook a Wolf? I can't tell if that is awesome or terrifying. haha

Chichikov

It has a really nice atmosphere, it's next to their butcher shop*, and you kinda sit in the kitchen which is always fun, but I don't think the food is amazing (it's really good, just not great).
For that price range (which is probably closer to $50 than $20) in that neighborhood, I would suggest La Bete.

Oh, and you got to check out Salumi for lunch.
And yes, it's worth the wait.

* Seattle GAF should really check Rain Shadow out, it's great, it's local and the staff is awesome.
Not the cheapest place, but well worth it.

How to Cook a Wolf? I can't tell if that is awesome or terrifying. haha
Spoiler: they don't serve wolf.
:(

I should say we were in the Seattle about three years ago. did all the downtown, Pikes Market, pioneer square, space needle stuff. We will be in the university district a lot, our hotel is downtown, and we may cruise through some neighborhoods to get a vibe of the housing etc.

I live really close to the U-District over in the Greenlake neighborhood (ie. just about a mile from my house to 45th). You should check out the lake and also visit the University Farmer's Market on Saturday.

Family, huh? Fremont is kid friendly.

dubc35

Fremont, Wallingford, Ravenna, Wedgwood, and Green Lake are all good choices (I also <3 Maple Leaf). In the U district I would avoid the SW side of campus and the northern side up to about 55th or 60th if you want to avoid the undergrad party scene, well that was 14 years ago now, lol. Montlake is a good choice as well but it can be pricey as housing near the arboretum and Madison Park are some of the priciest in the city. e* btw, where are you coming from? (sorry if you said and I missed it).

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
fail

I live really close to the U-District over in the Greenlake neighborhood (ie. just about a mile from my house to 45th). You should check out the lake and also visit the University Farmer's Market on Saturday.

Family, huh? Fremont is kid friendly.

We were going to check out Greenlake and/or Wallingford area. I would like to be close enough to walk or ride a bike to the university but we don't want to be on frat row or anything.

Thanks for all the great info so far everyone.

Now all I need is someone that can get me a tour of Bungie or 343? ;)

EDIT:
Fremont, Wallingford, Ravenna, Wedgwood, and Green Lake are all good choices (I also <3 Maple Leaf). In the U district I would avoid the SW side of campus and the northern side up to about 55th or 60th if you want to avoid the undergrad party scene, well that was 14 years ago now, lol. Montlake is a good choice as well but it can be pricey as housing near the arboretum and Madison Park are some of the priciest in the city. e* btw, where are you coming from? (sorry if you said and I missed it).
Excellent. Definitely want to avoid the undergrad party scene. I am a super old man compared to those guys lol.

Coming from Sacramento, CA. also did a stint of 5 years in Berkeley / San Jose

dubc35

I would like to be close enough to walk or ride a bike to the university but we don't want to be on frat row or anything.

If you're in Arch, you'll most likely have all your classes in their building which is just off 15th. There are a couple bus lines that run E/W on Pacific and 40th (38 line?). 15th is also a busy bus line with the 71/72/73. King County mass transit webpage.

Excellent. Definitely want to avoid the undergrad party scene. I am a super old man compared to those guys lol.

Ok, bay area is pretty similar to Seattle IMO. I didn't know if you were moving from Nebraska or something, not that there's anything wrong with Nebraska.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Actually it looks like a lot of the stuff is in Gould Hall but they are close to each other according to the map.

dubc35

Actually it looks like a lot of the stuff is in Gould Hall but they are close to each other according to the map.
Oh, that's right. I forgot about Gould. ARC is mostly for undergrad 100/200 level classes. I had a construction mgmt class in there as well. 300/400/500 classes are in Gould iirc. College Inn pub is across the street for a pint too. Basement pubs FTW!

We were going to check out Greenlake and/or Wallingford area. I would like to be close enough to walk or ride a bike to the university but we don't want to be on frat row or anything.

Totally walkable to the UW from Greenlake. We do it all the time on the weekends. Absolutely love parking the car on Friday and not using it again until Monday morning.

As for college kids, we've got a bunch of undergrad guys in the house next to us, but they're not bad.

One of my good friends is doing motion capture work on Halo 4...

cdyhybrid

Thanks for all the great info so far everyone.

Google the Burke Gilman Trail, anything near that will easily get you to UW via bike. If you want to walk, Wallingford is probably the closest outside of the actual U-District, followed by Ravenna and Greenlake. You can also catch the 44 bus on 45th St. in Wallingford which will take you down 15th Ave., so you can get off right near Arch and Gould. It also takes you down closer to the Med Center for an easy walk to the IMA (check up on that if you haven't yet).

Why tour those when you could try and tour Valve instead? ;)

EDIT:

How old are you? We could recommend some nightlife areas if you're interested, although if you have kids you might not get to enjoy it much :p

Sumidor

Was just in Seattle last weekend, and I gotta say, whoever does the hiring at Din Tai Fung deserves an applause. I almost got whiplash from all the eye candy.

Curtisaur

Forum Landmine
I'd like to move to Seattle one day.

Gotta get my life in order first, I suppose.

Hello possible future city-mates

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
Was just in Seattle last weekend, and I gotta say, whoever does the hiring at Din Tai Fung deserves an applause. I almost got whiplash from all the eye candy.

I used to cashier with one of those waitresses at Fred Meyer.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Almost went in there this afternoon, but we were looking for a place to get a burger and champagne simultaneously (don't ask).

Stick to the regular Uneeda burger...don't get anything fancy like an egg. They'll just fry it up on the same skillet with the burger and it won't be sunnyside like the menu says.

I think Zippys in Whitecenter is really good too. People say Blue Moon Burgers are hit or miss, but I've always had pretty good ones. They serve grass-fed beef too.

I will try this uneeda place. Never heard of it till now, and it's right next door to my school.

While we're talking about burgers, I went to Blue Moon once and it was a major disappointment. Maybe I caught it on a bad day, but I don't have much desire to head back.

Top Bottom