• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Secret Empire (Marvel) |OT| Hail Hydrox

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mafro

Can't believe Doom sat this out. Was looking forward to seeing what he'd do during the event.
Yeah it's really dumb, you would have thought someone like him would be heavily involved. Just noticed that none of Bendis' books are crossing over with this at all which is kind of ridiculous and funny, especially in the case of Miles. Doesn't really surprise me at all though knowing what Bendis is like when he's not writing an event.

Kurdel

Banned
Yeeeaah that ending was cool.

This event had a lot of awesome moments, and kept us guessing until the end. I don’t think it was worth the year of build up and a 10 isue event, but I did enjoy most of it.

mreddie

Widow is still dead, no one is gonna use Las Vegas for awhile.
Sam Wilson Captain America is basically null and void.
Captain Marvel has more dead bodies under her belt because this came from CW2.
They are gonna attempt to say Captain America is okay again. BITE ME.
Thunderbolts resulted in nothing.
The Generations Tie In was one panel.

0-2 were the only good issues but this event sucked. Awful. Once you saw the pattern, heroes come up, get beaten, HYDRAmerica is shown to be okay, Monologue, Last Panel Reveal. That's the main pattern.

MVPs: Ant-Man, Black Ant, Taskmaster, Pymtron when we actually saw them.

Save us Legacy LOL.

Some Ol' Bullshit.

This is the last Marvel OT I'm making for awhile.

LionPride

Banned
I was keeping up with the event because I thought Hydra Cap was interesting and that 90% of people who took issue with it were just shocked by Cap bein a Nazi in this political climate, which didn't matter to me because it's a long form story for fucks sake

With it coming to an end, the event wasn't exactly good and fuck what has happened with Wilson Cap

That is all

I was keeping up with the event because I thought Hydra Cap was interesting and that 90% of people who took issue with it were just shocked by Cap bein a Nazi in this political climate, which didn't matter to me because it's a long form story for fucks sake

With it coming to an end, the event wasn't exactly good and fuck what has happened with Wilson Cap

That is all

It's an another Marvel event that had potential, but ended with an unsatisfying conclusion.

Joey Ravn

Banned
At least they were true to their word and kept the real Captain America a fucking Nazi in the end. Because, even if he has had his past altered, Nazi Captain America is the real Captain America. The one that Kobik recreates from his memories is a fake Captain America. It's basically what they are doing with the physical Tony Stark and his holo-copy, but in reverse.

Backup Steve, Captain Dropbox, System Recovery Tools America. Whoever he is, he's not real... although I'm sure Marvel will try to push as hard as corporately possible for everyone to welcome him with open arms. He is a cheap deus ex machina used to avoid having to face the consequences of their editorial choices. Now Volume Shadow Copy Steve is going to tour America searching for redemption... but it's fake redemption because it's for nothing that he actually had done. It's fake guilt that's easily handwaved whenever whatever writer sees as the appropriate time for getting rid of it.

Man, this event was terrible. I'm honestly not a Marvel guy and even I had my blood boiling. What's up with Black Widow, anyway? Is she dead or alive? Because she appeared to have been revived by Kobik, but then they were attending her funeral?

The real loser of this event is that poor kid in the last panel. That Sam Wilson Captain America toy is gonna get outdated fast.

Kurdel

Banned
I really enjoyed the Infinity Gauntlet homage.

f6SOZjx.jpg

- J - D -

Man, remember when Marvel/Spencer were pleading with angry audiences to stick with this until the end and see the full story before getting angry?

HA!

Man, this event was terrible. I'm honestly not a Marvel guy and even I had my blood boiling. What's up with Black Widow, anyway? Is she dead or alive? Because she appeared to have been revived by Kobik, but then they were attending her funeral?

That was them showing that Widow, Rick Jones & Las Vegas were done deals that wouldn't be magic'd back.

Kurdel

Banned
Could someone do me a huge favour and tell me how this all ended? Did the regular Captain America come back somehow?

Bucky had Ant-Man shrink him into a Cosmic Cube and pulled Good Cap out of it.

Because before rewriting his history, Kobik made a copy of him.

And he could pick up Mjolnir because it was also changed to a Hydra hammer.

SpaceWolf

Banned
Bucky had Ant-Man shrink him into a Cosmic Cube and pulled Good Cap out of it.

Because before rewriting his history, Kobik made a copy of him.

And he could pick up Mjolnir because it was also changed to a Hydra hammer.

Ah, thank you. So Good Cap is revealed to be the real Cap, essentially?

I enjoyed the event, but the ending was very blah.

Would have preferred a mental battle like Superior Spider-Man or something. But instead, it was a slugfest between Good Cap and Hydra Cap.

Also, they made Hydra Cap progressively more evil as time went on. I get it - Hydra is obviously evil. But you'd expect some Cap-esque charisma at minimum.

mreddie

I get the meaning here and I get the blowback won't be dealt ASAP but honeslty, I feel the result did not earn the buildup.

Hail Hydra, Jack Flag, The Takeover, all of that should have deserved a better finish than this.

Sam Wilson should been ended better than this. His return as Falcon is gonna be so halfassed.

SRG01

At least they were true to their word and kept the real Captain America a fucking Nazi in the end. Because, even if he has had his past altered, Nazi Captain America is the real Captain America. The one that Kobik recreates from his memories is a fake Captain America. It's basically what they are doing with the physical Tony Stark and his holo-copy, but in reverse.

Backup Steve, Captain Dropbox, System Recovery Tools America. Whoever he is, he's not real... although I'm sure Marvel will try to push as hard as corporately possible for everyone to welcome him with open arms. He is a cheap deus ex machina used to avoid having to face the consequences of their editorial choices. Now Volume Shadow Copy Steve is going to tour America searching for redemption... but it's fake redemption because it's for nothing that he actually had done. It's fake guilt that's easily handwaved whenever whatever writer sees as the appropriate time for getting rid of it.

The real loser of this event is that poor kid in the last panel. That Sam Wilson Captain America toy is gonna get outdated fast.

To be fair, neither is Tony Stark ever since Civil War I...

Dalek

I get the meaning here and I get the blowback won't be dealt ASAP but honeslty, I feel the result did not earn the buildup.

Hail Hydra, Jack Flag, The Takeover, all of that should have deserved a better finish than this.

Sam Wilson should been ended better than this. His return as Falcon is gonna be so halfassed.

I agree that it feels Sam got short-changed. But he is still technically Captain America by the end of the story and kids are playing with his action figure. I don't understand why they would make him "Falcon" again. It does his character a disservice.

I am surprised that they are keeping intact the ramifications of what happened. Normal people were literally going to Hydra indoctrination schools and now it's just back to normal.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Odinson was on some bullshit this entire event. I'm still salty about that.

mreddie

Odinson was on some bullshit this entire event. I'm still salty about that.

I get why he worked with them, to get Jane back.

Punisher too, unless they explain he was on that Fastaus Water.

Ant-Man sold the team out but because of Cassie, where has she been? Omega might answer it?

I think Omega is just Issue 11 because Axel and Tom are too chickenshit to call it that.

I agree that it feels Sam got short-changed. But he is still technically Captain America by the end of the story and kids are playing with his action figure. I don't understand why they would make him "Falcon" again. It does his character a disservice.

I am surprised that they are keeping intact the ramifications of what happened. Normal people were literally going to Hydra indoctrination schools and now it's just back to normal.

I feel Omega is gonna fuck him over, again, why have Sam Cap Action Figure as the last panel when we know he's gonna be Falcon in October?

Also, shouldn't Barf be scared the neighbors who are helping him clean his house wanted him gone months ago?

I really hate this part of the issue.

mreddie

Was that why? I thought he did it because he saw Cap lift the hammer and thought he was still on the up and up.

I think they answered that around 7 or 8. (WHY WAS THERE 10 ISSUES)

But I think that was also why he sided with him.
Only he didn't know the hammer was fucked with.

Kurdel

Banned
Good Cap is just a copy, Hydra Cap is the real Cap.

When you teleport, does your conscience follow, or is that a new person that is materialized atom by atom?

I think both are valid until proven otherwise. Hydra Cap is still alive, I can see him becoming a staple villain.

But Classic Cap that showed up is also real cap.

Ah, thank you. So Good Cap is revealed to be the real Cap, essentially?

Basically. The one we're expecting, yes. Our Cap (as we know him) was no longer present when he was supplanted by HydraCap with an alternative history in SamCap#7. After HydraCap reality warped the Earth to match his own alternate Hydra history, Kobik realized she fucked up and started warping it back to the way it was, including recreating our Cap to kick HydraCap's ass. He's back.
It's not worth overthinking. The good Cap is back and HydraCap is an evil version from a timeline that is no longer applicable. The details are too convoluted and nebulous to worry about.

Thor's hammer had been changed as well but it's now also back to normal.

Good Cap is just a copy, Hydra Cap is the real Cap.

And if you want to be pedantic, 616 Cap died fighting Axis Stark and both were later replaced by Prime Cap and Prime Stark, but nobody remembers that.
Because this line of thinking isn't worth the effort. You know that's not how the books will treat it. Might as well hop on board.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Well at least this shit is done with and we are going to be event free for at least a year.

Good riddance.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Neither Venomverse nor Legacy are hijacking the entire line. I don't care about self contained "events" like Spider-Verse, Standoff and the like.

The giant line wide shitshows are done with for at least 1 year.

I enjoyed this event but it feels like the ending was a bit......urghhh i don't even know....rushed? The only thing that really made me go "oh shit" was how Madame Hydra used her fragment to manipulate Mjolnir,

What i didn't like was that the whole tie-in to Generations was one panel. I mean come on, i thought it was going to be more significant than Kobik giving them a "gift" of meeting their predecessors and mentors.

And i don't buy this Fake Cap/Real Cap stuff, the end of the issue (prior to the epilogue) says that Kobik restored the history that had been corrupted but left behind the wreckage, which would include Hyrda Cap as well as keeping Rick and Black Widow dead.

SRG01

So, finally read Secret Empire Omega and... it's surprisingly good. Spoilers start here:

The entire issue is essentially a long-form conversation between Original Cap and Hydra Cap, and a not-so veiled commentary on US politics and ideals. The crux of the entire conversation is that Hydra Cap took advantage of the power and hypocrisy that the government built (and wanted) for themselves; and how the populace actually wanted Hydra to some degree -- drawing parallels to how the Nazis came to power in Germany.

All in all, I kind of wish the contents in Omega was developed more in Secret Empire, that this ideological battle was the whole point of the series.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom