• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Secret Empire (Marvel) |OT| Hail Hydrox

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joey Ravn

Banned
Did they really just
vomit a huge deus ex machina
in Captain America #25?

My thoughts on this event so far:

I was honestly curious when they announced that Cap went Hydra and that it wouldn't be an imaginary tale, a dream or altenate reality. Making him a bad guy in the long run can be a great concept. Then Marvel announced that Steve Rogers would go back to being goody-two-shoes Cap after Secret Empire, so why even bother? Shock value, I assume. And now they pull this shit. That inhuman literally vomits a cosmic cube shard with enough power to topple Hydra... ooooooook. Didn't Holo-Tony have a scan of the whole thing? Or show him the schematics to a fully-functional time machine or something like that? I don't see how one deus ex machina is more beliavable than any other.

Two issues to go. Can't wait for Generations!
It's probably going to suck so bad!

Rebirth, though. Hot stuff!

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Wakanda jobbing out to some Hydra goons is the dumbest fucking thing.

Just. Fuck this shit.

Sinatar

I posted the Wakanda comment before reaching barf.

Wakanda jobbing out to Hydra Goons was the dumbest fucking thing for all of 10 pages.

Barf.

Are you fucking for real Spencer?

Barf?

B A R F?

Sinatar

pO4jQst.jpg

You said it Tony.

Dalek

Please be over soon!

I like how he can't conjure anything complex like a gun, but a Cosmic Cube fragment is no problem.

jph139

I'm still liking it - not loving it, and it's not great. But I'm liking it. It's a pretty middle-of-the-road event, honestly, when you take it in a vacuum - lots of big twists and turns and stakes and NOTHING WILL EVER BE THE SAME! Then at the end of the day everything is pretty much the same and you forget 90% of what happened.

Like, I'd put it on the same level as Original Sin. Good art. Cool ideas. But it spends all its time spinning its wheels and ends up going nowhere.

Of course, the big problem is... all of the controversy and stakes and big idea pitches. Like, you made Captain America a Nazi! There were firestorms for months! And this is the best you can come up with? Something this forgettable? Something that's pretty much running on deus ex machina? Come on man, you dropped the ball there.

Captain America: Sam Wilson is a legitimately great book. And Captain America: Steve Rogers was a legitimately good pitch. And this just... isn't a good finish for them. When I look at Secret Wars - which took Hickman's Avengers run and gave it a fantastic, ambitious, inventive finale - I just get sad.

Honestly, this shouldn't have been an event. Make it a crossover. A lean six-to-ten issues, half of them in Sam's book, half of them in Steve's. Maybe tie-in some other books and make it a crossover on the same scale as Standoff if you really want to push it. You don't need to meander around in this cliche dystopia. Have it self-contained, make it clear that things are going to be fixed with Cosmic Cube nonsense, and tell an interesting story.

And you know what? I'm pissed we never got that big fight.

Like, Secret Empire #0 ends with Cap pulling the trigger on all these schemes he's been pulling. Like, holy shit! What a moment! He's evil! The worst just happened! A gut punch on a global scale! AND THEY SKIPPED IT! They squeeze like five pages into an FCBD issue and skip to the boring stuff.

Man, like I said, it's okay. But it could have been good. And that's the shitty part. I blame Hickman for giving me hope that events could be good.

Sinatar

I'm still liking it - not loving it, and it's not great. But I'm liking it. It's a pretty middle-of-the-road event, honestly, when you take it in a vacuum - lots of big twists and turns and stakes and NOTHING WILL EVER BE THE SAME! Then at the end of the day everything is pretty much the same and you forget 90% of what happened.

Like, I'd put it on the same level as Original Sin. Good art. Cool ideas. But it spends all its time spinning its wheels and ends up going nowhere.

Of course, the big problem is... all of the controversy and stakes and big idea pitches. Like, you made Captain America a Nazi! There were firestorms for months! And this is the best you can come up with? Something this forgettable? Something that's pretty much running on deus ex machina? Come on man, you dropped the ball there.

Captain America: Sam Wilson is a legitimately great book. And Captain America: Steve Rogers was a legitimately good pitch. And this just... isn't a good finish for them. When I look at Secret Wars - which took Hickman's Avengers run and gave it a fantastic, ambitious, inventive finale - I just get sad.

Honestly, this shouldn't have been an event. Make it a crossover. A lean six-to-ten issues, half of them in Sam's book, half of them in Steve's. Maybe tie-in some other books and make it a crossover on the same scale as Standoff if you really want to push it. You don't need to meander around in this cliche dystopia. Have it self-contained, make it clear that things are going to be fixed with Cosmic Cube nonsense, and tell an interesting story.

And you know what? I'm pissed we never got that big fight.

Like, Secret Empire #0 ends with Cap pulling the trigger on all these schemes he's been pulling. Like, holy shit! What a moment! He's evil! The worst just happened! A gut punch on a global scale! AND THEY SKIPPED IT! They squeeze like five pages into an FCBD issue and skip to the boring stuff.

Man, like I said, it's okay. But it could have been good. And that's the shitty part. I blame Hickman for giving me hope that events could be good.

If Marvel had any sense at all they'd bend over backwards to get Hickman back into the fold. He elevated everyone else just by being there, his books were so good everyone tried to play catch up.

The bar is so low now, nobody gives a crap.

xclk07

I'm still liking it - not loving it, and it's not great. But I'm liking it.

I'm in the same place, I'm still enjoying it, but there are definitely some crazy outliers happening... BP/Faustus being the absolute worst here. I'm not as upset by Barf... it felt like there was some hand-waving to say that WAS the actual last piece of the Cube rather than a mimicry? I might be misreading though.
Even though the Sam sequence was over wrought, it still hit some good notes for me.

Kurdel

Banned
I mean, this is the ultimate comic book schlock.

Last issue is literally ends with
Hydra Cap in an Iron Man suit powered by an almost complete Cosmic Cube. Glad we get to see the costume from the cover
It’s all so corny and predictable, like
Odinson’s
sudden change of heart. On the other hand, this is all super entertaining, in a bad movie kind of way.

I really wanted to see this costume:

Deadly

I think they're one and the same but different due to artists? But yeah the one on the cover for the last issue is so much better

Dalek

There was no way out of this otherwise-they had painted themselves into a corner. That said-I wonder if they're going to "un-do" what happened. Students were indoctrinated into worshipping Hydra in their classrooms, Las Vegas was destroyed.

While the premise of the event was somewhat interesting, the last issues have been such a boring hunt for McGuffins... You'd think they would put their best writers on these events but somehow they also become incredibly boring around issue 3. And we all know how it's going to end: the good guys will win. Maybe one hero has to die, but he'll be resurrected within the week probably...

There was no way out of this otherwise-they had painted themselves into a corner. That said-I wonder if they're going to "un-do" what happened. Students were indoctrinated into worshipping Hydra in their classrooms, Las Vegas was destroyed.

Cosmic Cube.

Christian

I thought Nick Spencer was supposed to be one of their better writers. I've really enjoyed a lot of the stuff he wrote for Marvel - Ant-Man, Sam Cap, Superior Foes. This doesn't sound like as abject a disaster as Civil War II, not that CWII is a high bar to live up to, but I'm disappointed Spencer didn't do better.

kswiston

I thought Nick Spencer was supposed to be one of their better writers. I've really enjoyed a lot of the stuff he wrote for Marvel - Ant-Man, Sam Cap, Superior Foes. This doesn't sound like as abject a disaster as Civil War II, not that CWII is a high bar to live up to, but I'm disappointed Spencer didn't do better.

Few writers do well with line-wide events

This is probably the event I have enjoyed the most in some time. It's absolutely ridiculous and the ending is rushed but I am having fun throughout. Looking forward to closing it out though.

I halfway think that Marvel may have changed the ending a little based on the blowback early on from the series of "Cap is a Nazi"

Mafro

Few writers do well with line-wide events
At Marvel I think Hickman is really the only person to have done it successfully and he managed to do it twice.

Marvel should have had the balls to do a hard reset after Secret Wars.
Yeah they'll never have an opportunity like that ever again, it was set up perfectly and everything. Feels like Marvel have just been coasting ever since the "All-New, All-Different" relaunch and they don't know what to do after they lost so many good writers to DC and Image. They've got a good chance of salvaging things somewhat with the Generations relaunch if they get the creative teams right.

At Marvel I think Hickman is really the only person to have done it successfully and he managed to do it twice.

Secret Wars definitely, Infinity ehh. Infinity had some good scenes but I don't think Hickman's heart was in it. He even has Black Swan state on panel that the whole thing was pointless and not the real story.

Sinatar

The problem with Marvel isn't a reset, a lack of a reset, the changes to characters or any of that.

The problem is that they are hemorrhaging talent. They lost Hickman, Remender, King, Rucka and I'm sure I'm forgetting some over the course of a year. The people they have to fill those gaps are not up to the task and the product has suffered immensely.

Dalek

The problem with Marvel isn't a reset, a lack of a reset, the changes to characters or any of that.

The problem is that they are hemorrhaging talent. They lost Hickman, Remender, King, Rucka and I'm sure I'm forgetting some over the course of a year. The people they have to fill those gaps are not up to the task and the product has suffered immensely.

Absolutely. The best they have right now are

Aaron-writing Thor, most likely moving onto Avengers
Ewing-great writer, books are low-selling sadly
Ryan North-Squirrel Girl writer, best where he is. A+ comedy writer.

But that's about it.

Absolutely. The best they have right now are

Aaron-writing Thor, most likely moving onto Avengers
Ewing-great writer, books are low-selling sadly
Ryan North-Squirrel Girl writer, best where he is. A+ comedy writer.

But that's about it.

I'd add Chip Zdarsky. Spectacular Spider-Man is the best Spidey book out there right now.

Sam Wilson isn't going to defeat Hydra Cap and we're getting the scene from Superman II with Captain America facing Hydra Cap.

This is disappointing.

So this is
using the "Cap stuck in the Cosmic Cube" stuff that happened in Reborn, but as if it's from the perspective of everyone not in the Cube? And they made Hydra Cap?

K.

Aceun

I for one am looking forward too that well deserved ass whupping

Me too. I've been enjoying the event and it even managed to retroactively make the events of Civil War II tolerable.

I'm sure there will be repercussions, but I'm hopeful that this sets the stage for a new age of heroism in Legacy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom