• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Secret Empire (Marvel) |OT| Hail Hydrox

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't followed the storyline as closely as I should have been but I'm excited for this event! So everyone basically still thinks Hydra is bad except Steve Rodgers origin has been altered to where he has been a Hydra spy this entire time. Correct?

Sandfox

I haven't followed the storyline as closely as I should have been but I'm excited for this event! So everyone basically still thinks Hydra is bad except Steve Rodgers origin has been altered to where he has been a Hydra spy this entire time. Correct?
Yes.

yes but there's been a recent twist where it looks like the good Cap we all know is actually the altered one and Hydra Cap is his "true" self. It's almost definitely not the case IMO but they certainly wanted to throw that bit of intrigue out there.

El Topo

They explain this earlier in the Captain America: Steve Rogers book.

Cap and/or Hydra stole a batch of eggs containing a Chitauri queen. The Chitauri have been consistently invading for some time now, with earth's heroes barely fending off the last wave thanks to Quasar...who is powerful but inexperienced.

The shield was viewed as the only viable way to stop these invasions, along with all the other invasions they didn't see coming.

Wow, that's dumb, even if not as bad as I feared. Thanks for the explanation.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
this event is pretty damn dope so far. i didnt like how thunderbolts ended, but but at least zemo is back in charge

as for 0, a lot of people seem to be taking this hard for some reason

Nether!

People don't read comics and then get upset when they read these headlines.
They're not going to have Captain America be a Nazi forever.
Just enjoy the ride and hopefully the status-quo comes back as gracefully as possible.

Just enjoy the ride and hopefully the status-quo comes back as gracefully as possible.

It's just hilarious to me that they're up in arms over a plot twist in an Issue #0. Like, the story has literally barely begun. Maybe wait and see before freaking out...

mreddie

The reactions to the Cap thread...

hqdefault.jpg

weshes195

With things like Social Media (and every other output on the internet) and with Marvel (and Superheroes in general) Movies becoming so popular, it unfortunately has made it an increase in outrage even when they have no actual knowledge of the character or comic.

Not to say people don't have the right to an opinion even if they don't read comics or to believe that something like Cap in issue 0 is genuinely offensive.

It's just that most people go WAY overboard and act like this is the craziest thing ever and then go on and continue to not read comics. And then they'll do the same thing all over again when another controversial thing pops up.

It doesn't even matter if those people are in the right, it is freaking annoying.

Edit: And to make things clear as I don't want people to be confused: I am talking literally comic book things (oh no, Captain America is evil!!). Not real life things that are actually offensive or is clearly meant to make a bad impact (the recent X-men art situation). Obviously the latter was something that it didn't matter if you never or will continue to not read comics. Something like that should never be allowed (and thankfully isn't).

Kurdel

Banned
Supposedly the FCBD Secret Empire #1 ends with Hydra Cap
holding Mjolnir.

It fits with the current Odinson storyline (anyone who wants the power of a God might have his own unresolved issues), but I can see how this can be subverted by the white nationalists who fetichize Nordic cilture.

I think (hope) this is Marvel setting up some even crazier shit.

Dalek

holding Mjolnir.

It fits with the current Odinson storyline (anyone who wants the power of a God might have his own unresolved issues), but I can see how this can be subverted by the white nationalists who fetichize Nordic cilture.

This was leaked over the weekend and I've had some time to think about it since my initial shock.

The rules surrounding Mjonir don't necessarily state that the wielder must be "good" or "pure of heart"-just worthy. It's definitely something to ponder.

Sandfox

holding Mjolnir.

I'm curious as to what happens after that. There's a lot of things they can do.

Kurdel

Banned
This was leaked over the weekend and I've had some time to think about it since my initial shock.

The rules surrounding Mjonir don't necessarily state that the wielder must be "good" or "pure of heart"-just worthy. It's definitely something to ponder.

Yeah, and
Odinson turned down the Ultimate Thor hammer because he thought it was a bit much.

Also, similar to themes tackled with Black Panther storyline, the "worthy to rule" Asgard part is inherently messed up because of ties to hereditary monarchy and supremacy of an All Father.

I'm curious as to what happens after that. There's a lot of things they can do.

Same!

We have the mysterious one eyed
War Thor coming soon, I am sure that will play a part in all this.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
KEEP ALL NICK SPENCER TALK AWAY FROM HERE.

Lol. Good luck with that one.

But I am curious to see how, without (hopefully) devolving into equally inane cosmic cube shenanigans that started this whole mess, the heroes manage to turn the tide after Cap's master stratagems seem to have played out so successfully.

I know we have future visions with Ulysses and Miles, but that's only one possibility among many.

Not to say people don't have the right to an opinion even if they don't read comics or to believe that something like Cap in issue 0 is genuinely offensive.

It's just that most people go WAY overboard and act like this is the craziest thing ever and then go on and continue to not read comics. And then they'll do the same thing all over again when another controversial thing pops up.

It doesn't even matter if those people are in the right, it is freaking annoying.

At the risk of (somewhat) bringing identity politics into things (of which if this is too far, I'll desist), but if someone Jewish is genuinely offended by Cap being an espoused pro-fascist, given his creation....your reaction is be annoyed?

That's.....okay then.

For some people, comics stand for something more than just a book. You may not feel the same, but don't denigrate someone for not feeling the same.

My highway thought today (I'm sure someone else has already stated something similar):

In the 40's, real life America was all on one page, punching Hitler with a smile and not being particularly introspective. That's how Cap was in the comics, too.

In the 70's America was full of self doubt and with good reason... Vietnam was bullshit and the President was a crook. During this time, Cap was conflicted as well, and even took off his colors and became Nomad for a while.

Now it's 2017 and America has lost its fucking mind, electing a fascist disaster of an administration (possibly with the help of an external old enemy). And once again Cap stays in tandem with the American populace.

The backlash against Secret Empire has apparently reached a point where Marvel felt the need to issue an official statement:

Marvel PR said:
"With Marvel Comics’ 'Secret Empire,' the forces of Hydra have taken over and, due to the villainous actions of the Red Skull, have manipulated Marvel’s greatest hero, Captain America, and forced him to adopt their cause," the statement to ABC News reads. "At Marvel, we want to assure all of our fans that we hear your concerns about aligning Captain America with Hydra and we politely ask you to allow the story to unfold before coming to any conclusion."

The statement continues that the "passion" of fans is what keeps the company moving forward and that "Captain America, will always be a cornerstone of the Marvel Universe who will stand up for what is right, and 'Secret Empire' will be the biggest challenge Steve has ever faced."

"What you will see at the end of this journey is that his heart and soul -- his core values, not his muscle or his shield -- are what save the day against Hydra and will further prove that our heroes will always stand against oppression and show that good will always triumph over evil," it concludes.

The backlash against Secret Empire has apparently reached a point where Marvel felt the need to issue an official statement:

"What you will see at the end of this journey is that his heart and soul -- his core values, not his muscle or his shield -- are what save the day against Hydra and will further prove that our heroes will always stand against oppression and show that good will always triumph over evil," it concludes.

So does that last part kind of spoil that Cap will turn good in the end? Or that we'll get some sort of non-brainwashed Steve Rogers from another reality to save the day?

I was kind of hoping that Miles really does kill Cap in the end like it was foretold in Civil War II and that Hydra Cap stays dead. Miles gets hailed as a hero by most, but treated as a villain by civilian skeptics or "true believers" of Hydra, both civilian and super-powered. Then we also get a non-brainwashed Steve get reintroduced/brought back to life in a year or so, and he has to deal with winning back the trust of his former friends, allies, and the public.

So does that last part kind of spoil that Cap will turn good in the end? Or that we'll get some sort of non-brainwashed Steve Rogers from another reality to save the day?

I was kind of hoping that Miles really does kill Cap in the end like it was foretold in Civil War II and that Hydra Cap stays dead. Then we get a non-brainwashed Steve get reintroduced/brought back to life in a year or so, and he has to deal with winning back the trust of his former friends, allies, and the public.

Well they are already advertising their next even and classic cap is front and center.

That timeline doesn't mean much after Secret Wars. What with Reed rebuilding the entire multiverse and letting it unfold a little chaotically.

For all intents and purposes the Cap you knew was crushed by a SHIELD helicarrier shortly before the multiverse (nearly) ended.

Sandfox

I'm aware, trust. But it's a reality warp event and people lost their damn minds
A lot of people are just reading headlines and there's a lot of misinformation going around like people claiming that the story is written so thyHydra is supposed to be the side we root for.

Buckle

For people who are getting real unnecessarily outraged or annoyed with this, the solution is to never lose your shit and just stop reading for awhile until things go back to a more familiar status quo like they always do.

Thats what I'm doing with Slott's current run of Spidey. Some people love it which is cool, I'm pretty much just waiting it out after dropping it in the middle of Superior.

Its always pointless going nuts about a character death or big change up they're just going to go back on in a few years. I always take it as a sign to just go find/check out something new to read for awhile.

PSqueak

Banned

Well, for starters, do you expect any different?

But wording could also mean that people, inspired by old cap's values, defeat hydra.

Buckle

Would be a nice call back to Brubaker's run if Bucky used the cube on Steve to turn him back into his true self and pretty much refuted Hydra's dumbass "we had him first" claims.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Would be a nice call back to Brubaker's run if Bucky used the cube on Steve to turn him back into his true self and pretty much refuted Hydra's dumbass "we had him first" claims.

I'm pretty sure Bucky is gonna have a hand in the culmination of all this.

You sure about that? Then why isn't Mar there instead of Carol?

Because Mar-vell seems to be the one character they aren't allowed to bring back from the dead.

Also taking a premises as simple as "bring back all the classic characters" and then doing something as convoluted as replacing one of the main characters with an alternate reality version would be a bad idea. So I guess I wouldn't put it behind them.

Dalek

This has been in my head too-I bet this is what happens.

y2dvd

I'm aware, trust. But it's a reality warp event and people lost their damn minds

It's true. I used to work with this one guy who always wore a Cap jacket and had a Cap shield as a backpack. He would talk about wanting to physically hurt Nick Spencer if he ever saw him, and I believe him.

An apology was unnecessary but these fans sometimes...

Mindwipe

Oh really, they went there?
Poor Marlo
=(
Peter David
better resurrect him asap.

Spoilers for SE #1...

Given Cap murders the population of Las Vegas it's pretty clear they'll be a Cosmic Cube-ing none of this ever happened moment at the end. It's Age of Ultron all over again.

error4041

I didn't buy issue #0 becuase I figured #1 would be a clean start (silly me) but can someone explain why Odinson, Vision, and Scarlet Witch are part of the
Hydra Avengers?

Sandfox

Spencer really has this event though out.
Rick's death was well done and given his role in the universe, a good way to symbolize that the things the classic heroes like Steve stood for have been killed off.

I didn't buy issue #0 becuase I figured #1 would be a clean start (silly me) but can someone explain why Odinson, Vision, and Scarlet Witch are part of the
Hydra Avengers?
It hasn't been explained yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom