• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SEGA 3D Classics finally set to release in NA/EU beginning November 28

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I've always been way more interested in getting to play Turbo Outrun than Outrunners. Something about the spritework in Outrunners just kinda rubs me the wrong way. Turbo Outrun is beautiful, though.

I would like to see Turbo Outrun, but not at the expense of passing over the original Outrun and releasing that.

I can see why they released Super Hang-On as opposed to the original Hang-On, and After Burner II as opposed to the original. But Outrun is a truly unique, iconic game.

Just do all three, Sega. Outrun, Turbo Outrun, and Outrunners.

AmyS

I really appreciate your posts, AmyS

Thanks.

While gathering stuff for Turbo OutRun, I completed the game for the first time in my life. I've play it in arcades, on Genesis,and in MAME before. Seen videos of it on FM Towns but never completed the arcade.

Well I finally just did.

Felt great seeing the two cities I grew up in, Chicago and Miami, in SEGA super-scalar form that is!

I agree with those who say they like Turbo OutRun better than Outrunners. While the original will always be near and dear to my heart, Turbo also has wonderful sprite work that just doesn't really come across in Outrunners.

Turbo OutRun's soundtrack is hit-or-miss, unfortunately, with the only stand-outs being Rush A Difficulty and Who Are You. And I can't decide which game has the better pixel art, given that SEGA was always inconsistent in that department around the turn of the decade. I'd love to play it for the few interesting mechanical changes it has (hazards, choice of car upgrades, incentive to beat rivals, turbo!), but it really needs to go with the original or bust. A triple pack of the first two OutRuns and Outrunners would be a dream come true, but Turbo's so much like Super Hang-On, relatively speaking, that it's much less likely.

Cody_D165

Banned
Bought a $50 eShop card during the Best Buy sale.

Loaded up with 3D Streets of Rage, 3D Ecco the Dolphin, and 3D Galaxy Force II in addition to my previous 3D Sonic.

All of the above are incredible. You guys weren't kidding about the 3D in Galaxy Force.

I still wanna grab 3D Shinobi III as well. Actually, I wanna grab all of them, but I'm trying to use my better judgment instead of spending $6 on Altered Beast or Hang-On which I'd likely not play much at all. I'll settle with looking at Miiverse screens for the others.

Thank you based M2.

With Super Hang On, once i unlocked world tour mode, the indicator in the menu is always 'on' even though alternating presses of it does actually disable/enable it.... Anyone else? Or is that just normal?

This is off topic, but I played the Super Hang-On port by M2 on PS3, in stereoscopic 3D on the Sony HMZ-T1, and it's glorious. The game looks and runs perfectly, and there are more options to tweak the 3D. The HMZ really gave me the feeling of playing on a huge screen, yet everything is pixel sharp with prefect colors. It was also the first time I noticed parallax layers in the backgrounds. It also controls better thanks to a proper analog stick and analog throttle.

Man I'm so in love with the 2D sprites turned 3D thing, I can't get enough of it. Keep pumping these games and I'll keep buying them.

Lettuce

Turbo OutRun fans, best official home version was made for FM Towns.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOXn6pOAni0

It could be played on both an FM Towns computer and an FM Towns Marty console (these shared the same graphics hardware not unlike a Commodore Amiga 1200 computer and Amiga CD32 console which both had AGA graphics) but Turbo OutRun runs better on FM Towns computers with the 486SX 33 MHz. I believe most computer & console models shipped with a 386SX 16 Mhz.

Was there/is there actually any Turbo Outrun fans!??, the game was a shambles, so soulless, lacked any of the charm and feel good factor of the original game. The game was a massive disappointment to me and not a good sequel.....christ they took out the multi-path routes at the end of each stage, a massive pull of the first game.....why would you do this Sega

AmyS

Man, I knew SEGA's Thunder Blade was inspired by the 1983 movie Blue Thunder with Roy Scheider, much like how After Burner was inspired by Top Gun, but I had forgotten or did not even realize Sega used a direct digitized photo from Blue Thunder, for Thunder Blade's title screen..

bluethunder.jpg
thunderblade.png

Not only is the title Thunder Blade openly referencing the movie, SEGA put in another ballsy digitized photo as the title screen, too.

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/tracing/tracing4.htm

Sega had carefully redone digitized Top Gun images for After Burner and made some others up that strongly resembled Top Gun , but it was SLIGHTLY less blatant than Blue Thunder / Thunder Blade.

MD / Genesis Super Thunder Blade made things even more obvious, with the boxart as well as the intro scene of the attack helicopter.

From the Blue Thunder movie poster:
s4wipkF.jpg

apxHA9i.jpg

c4xKR4q.gif

nKnYqdM.jpg

Watch the intro in this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tngD9GWUGdA

Master System Thunder Blade
b5JzFzN.jpg

Blu Ray:
yxt8sCM.jpg

Great site with tons of stuff about the helicopter made for the movie:
http://www.gregdonner.org/blue_thunder/bt_movie.html

They mention Sega's Thunder Blade on this page http://www.gregdonner.org/blue_thunder/bt_tidbits.html

"Thunder Blade" SEGA video game

SEGA made a video game for the SEGA Master System console somewhat borrowing from Blue Thunder called "Thunder Blade" (the packaging for the game incorrectly shows a modified AH-1 Cobra attack helicopter).

Thunder Blade is mentioned even more on this page looking back at Blue Thunder.

http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/1362053/looking_back_at_blue_thunder.html

For all those kids who sat in one of Sega's Thunder Blade machines in the 80s, I suspect it's Blue Thunder's closing action scene which was playing back in their heads as they prepared to pilot a remarkably familiar looking military helicopter.

might we suggest a return to the mechanical wish-fulfilment movies of the 80s, as exemplified by arcade games such as Thunder Blade, or the film that inspired it, Blue Thunder?

drizzle

Axel Hertz
It seems I'm missing a couple of 3D classics, and I can't navigate the eshop store for shit, so.. a little help?

I have:

Kid Icarus
Xevious
Excite Bike
Kirby

it appears that I'm missing:
Twin Bee
Urban Champion

Which Sega 3D Classics were already released? All I can find is:

3D Shinobi
3D Streets of Rage
3D Ecco
3D Galaxy Force
3D Altered Beast
3D Sonic
3D Space Harrier
3D Super Hang On

Are those all the 3D "Classics" games on the system? I'm thinking about saying fuck it and buying all of them...

CLEEK

<Blue Thunder stuff>

In case you didn't know, after the film, Blue Thunder was turned into a hit, kid friendly TV show, much like Airwolf and the A-Team. I doubt many arcade dwelling kids would have watched the film that started it, but they would all have seen the TV show.

It seems I'm missing a couple of 3D classics, and I can't navigate the eshop store for shit, so.. a little help?

I have:

Kid Icarus
Xevious
Excite Bike
Kirby

it appears that I'm missing:
Twin Bee
Urban Champion

Which Sega 3D Classics were already released? All I can find is:

3D Shinobi
3D Streets of Rage
3D Ecco
3D Galaxy Force
3D Altered Beast
3D Sonic
3D Space Harrier
3D Super Hang On

Are those all the 3D "Classics" games on the system? I'm thinking about saying fuck it and buying all of them...

Yes that's it, until the next batch (second season) from SEGA come out, which nobody knows when/if they will yet. Only Afterburner II is out in Japan so far I think.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Thanks, bought them all... Maybe I shouldn't have bought 3D Sonic, but oh well... SEGA deserves the money, right.... right?

Galdelico

Hey guys, one question if you don't mind: on EU Eshop all these 3D SEGA games (maybe not Space Harrier? I can't remember now...) have a little 'MegaDrive' label on their covers but - for example - Galaxy Force is clearly the arcade original.
Are Super Hang-On and Altered Beast the arcade or MD/Genesis versions?
Thanks!

Hey guys, one question if you don't mind: on EU Eshop all these 3D SEGA games (maybe not Space Harrier? I don't remember) have a little 'MegaDrive' label on their cover but - for example - Galaxy Force is clearly the arcade original. Are Super Hang-On and Altered Beast the arcade or MD/Genesis versions?
Thanks!

Super Hang On is Arcade, Altered Beast is mega drive.

Tizoc

Thanks, bought them all... Maybe I shouldn't have bought 3D Sonic, but oh well... SEGA deserves the money, right.... right?

If you want more 3D Classics on dat 3DS, then def. yeah.
Besides 3D Sonic 1 is a good port of the original, with a spin dash option.

I bought Sonic and Space Harrier. If I was only going to get one more what's my best bet?

Depends what you like, or what you're in the mood for. I recommend watching videos or reading reviews of ones you're interested in and listening to your gut/heart.

Can't go wrong with Shinobi or Galaxy Force. Super Hang On and Streets of Rage are also excellent.

I'd be excited for the 32X versions of Space Harrier and After Burner done up in 3D. The Genesis versions were kinda crappy.

And isn't Streets of Rage 2 the good one of the group?

TheWraith

Man, totally didn't know or see these were out thanks to the eShop's crappy interface and sorting! Downloading Sonic as we speak.

I'd be excited for the 32X versions of Space Harrier and After Burner done up in 3D. The Genesis versions were kinda crappy.

Aren't the arcade versions better than 32X ones? M2 delivered better-than-arcade-perfect ports of Super Hang On, Space Harrier, Galaxy Force II, and After Burner II, in 3D.

Yes. I honestly can't imagine someone picking up SoR1 with zero prior history with the game and being impressed by how it plays.

I was most skeptical about it and wanted to skip it, but bought it just to see the 3D (which is uniquely different than the rest of the games), and I surprisingly I ended up enjoying the gameplay. It's simple but fun. And dat soundtrack.

Guess it's a matter of personal taste. I'll stick with 2.
I suppose so, but thanks to the fastest gameplay due to the universal run and evasive roll commands and the non-punitive (cool-down based) special attack system, it's always the one I recommend to outsiders and first-timers.

You SURE about that? I no longer have it, but I could swear I remember arcade perfection.. hmm..

Yeah, it's well documented online.

"The 32X version - dubbed After Burner Complete, even though it's really just After Burner II - is nearly arcade perfect, complete with smooth scaling and faithful musical renditions. It even offers support for the six button pad, so you can more easily change speed or even roll. The only noticeable difference is that it runs at 30 FPS rather than 60 FPS like the arcade."

gunstarhero

Yes - 2 is the best imo.

3 got a little goofy, and felt a little cheaper in terms of gameplay and animation. 2 also has the best soundtrack, while 3 has the worst n the trilogy.

I was most skeptical about it and wanted to skip it, but bought it just to see the 3D (which is uniquely different than the rest of the games), and I surprisingly I ended up enjoying the gameplay. It's simple but fun. And dat soundtrack.

Yeah 2 is superior to one, but one is still great.

The soundtrack will keep you moving right.

Ended up getting Sonic, Streets of Rage, RoShinobi 3, and Galaxy Force 2

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty

The arcade versions of Space Harrier and After Burner were used as the base for their 3D Classics releases, not the Genesis conversions.

And Streets of Rage 1 is good.

SegaShack

Streets of Rage 1 is amazing as well. Sonic 1 is my least favorite in the classic series but it is still an amazing game.

Both SoR 1 and Sonic 1 are definitely worth getting, even if they aren't the best in the series. Don't get me wrong, the sequels definitely improved upon both games but the originals are great stand alone titles. It would be like ignoring Mario 1 because SMB 3 was released.

It blew me away how Koshiro lifted contemporaneous pop music, lol
http://youtu.be/OpntMeUjTmc

Your blowing my mind now

But I'm ok with sampling just as long as the entire song feels different from the source.

Vids like this that only play the portions that are similar make people who aren't familiar with either song think that the composer plagiarized when all he did was a sample a small portion from his inspiration. Half the songs go in completely different ways from the original inspired song that I find more enjoyable than the actual sampled beat

But the later half of that vid... some of those "inspired" game tracks might as well be the original song :p

Top Bottom