• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega announces Game Gear Micro

Tarin02543

I don't think so. M2 is working on it

plMSJsc.png

I dig it. But yall right that screen just might be too much. Well see.

EDIT. FOUR GAMES LMAO.

EDIT EDIT. I just realized I prolly only played 4 games on that thing

Last edited:

Alphagear

So from what I have read there are 4 different units with each one having 4 different games.

Costing 50 dollars per unit.

So basically around 200 dollars/pounds to get the whole set.

What planet are Sega living on?

Sakura

I don't believe the Game Gear ever exactly sold gangbusters, so I'm not really sure what kind of nostalgia factor or sales they are expecting here. On the other hand, these things probably don't cost much to make, so they will probably pull in some money either way.

The magnifying glass thing is hilarious though.

scalman

so every year our phone screens get bigger and bigger and now they want to release this ? do i need some magic to able to see that screen there or its just a joke ?

Thurible

Interesting, I assume the size is exaggerated though, right?
Gaming on this is going to be a joy... not.

I could get behind this if it were as big as a GBA... but lol? How are you supposed to hold this?

Guess I'll keep on waiting for that Analogue Pocket.
My friend recommended that to me recently! It seems the pocket also plays game gear as well, no?

Fox Mulder

This just seems ridiculously small and unplayable.

Since it can run on AAA batteries, they should recreate the god awful battery life for the lolz.

Damn it. I really was hoping for the Sega Series X!

OT: that thing is way to damn small! My hands are larger than the average Japanese man's hands and my eye sight is shit, so I'm gonna have to pass.

The only good use of this would be as an accessory for your key ring, but not at 50 bucks. I'd give a lot of things for a SEGA Saturn Mini, and i don't even bother with these machines. But this mind boggling product? Why?

DESTROYA

So from what I have read there are 4 different units with each one having 4 different games.

Costing 50 dollars per unit.

So basically around 200 dollars/pounds to get the whole set.

What planet are Sega living on?
The baby hands planet.
This will be unusable for every adult on the planet.

Sorcerer

Apparently all pre-orders are fulfilled, sold out within minutes. I guess Sega is having the last laugh. I wonder if its genuine interest or people hoping to re-sell them for a fortune?

I can actually see Nintendo doing this as well if the Game Gear Micro sells well enough.

My friend recommended that to me recently! It seems the pocket also plays game gear as well, no?
Yes, however it works like the recently released Evercade, but instead of buying modules with emulator and games pre-installed, you have to buy adapters for Lynx, Game Gear and Neo Geo Pocket (you also need to own the games). I believe it only supports Nintendo (GB, GBC, GBA) out of the box.

Kazza

I don't believe the Game Gear ever exactly sold gangbusters, so I'm not really sure what kind of nostalgia factor or sales they are expecting here. On the other hand, these things probably don't cost much to make, so they will probably pull in some money either way.

The magnifying glass thing is hilarious though.

Your regular reminder that GAF isn't Japan:

They obviously know their market.

Last edited:
Man, I loved my Game Gear when I was young (only played it plugged to an electrical outlet though so I wasn't bothered by the battery life), but this? 4 different colours, each with only 4 different games pre-installed? And not even the most popular ones of the system, from what I can see... yep, not for me.

Last edited:

RAIDEN1

This has to rank up there as one of the most dumbest products to come out of Sega since the 32x....I mean they could have gone for a Dreamcast Mini, but oh no...instead lets go back to 1990 instead and give people what is not even any better than the original 1990 release...imagine if this had a TV tuner!! :messenger_grinning_smiling: :messenger_grinning_squinting:

Kazza

Sold out doesn't mean a whole lot if we don't know how many units that is.

For sure, I doubt that they made huge number of these. From what I can tell, this product was just a fun little idea from Sega's toy department, it was never meant to be some big deal. It was people reading too much into that Famitsu journalist's words which got people hyped, Sega never implied that they were planning anything big.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
sorry Sega not a chance I will be buying this. to small, these games should be played on screens the size of phones now

Impotaku

All these statements about people not buying them, well considering sega has said nothing about it getting released outside Japan it's not gonna be buyable anyway unless you import. So much salt over whats a fun little collectible, man supposed sega fans are a fickle bunch lol.

Top Bottom