• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega announces Game Gear Micro

Bartski

Gold Member
SEGA BIG WINDOW :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy:

gdEpCD3.jpg

Needlecrash

Just when I think Sega is getting their act together, they pull this Mickey Mouse bullshit. You're paying basically $50 for a Mini handheld console that only has 4 games on it? And the four colored systems has 4 different games on it???

Sega Japan REFUSES to put Joe Musashi in Streets of Rage 4 but they pull this shit and think it'll print money???

HONK HONK.

TheContact

This thing is absolute garbage for $50. It's maybe worth $10 at best. I could see a $50 price tag if it was loaded with games...but only 4? No thanks. I read an article saying originally it was only going to be shipped with 1 game and in 1 color. Big miss by Sega here.

UnNamed

Banned
The console war is over men.

2 hours after the release and you'll have every 8 and 16 bit games on it.

I'll buy it two.

DaGwaphics

For a playable keychain at maybe $20? sure, I'd buy that. For $50? no way jose.

Going micro instead of mini is a head scratcher. You can get a $20 Alcatel with more of everything than you need here. They could have made a $50-$60 mini that was actually usable. 🤷‍♂️

SALMORE

if they have thought about it in the late 90s during the Tamagotchi & pokemon days then they would have made a fortune out of these

but am still gonna get one , probably the black one

Meesh

*sigh*
..... Only Sega, only Sega could take an amazing idea and screw it up this badly.
I don't understand why it has to be this small, both the size of the unit and the library offered.

I'll probably buy the Yellow one... maybe... if I'm bored af.

MiguelItUp

I mean, they definitely got the "micro" part right. Jesus Christ.

Also, 4 variants each with 4 different games? Uh, cute?

I don't understand who wanted this.

I WANT A NEW AND GOOD GOLDEN AXE DAMNIT!

Watching the video I was hyped for like 2 minutes and when it was going to morph I thought the screen was going to get bigger..

I'm a sweet summer child

Product page has 1990 somewhere so I guess it was a real product sometime but actually NOT NOW right? This is just a prank and the real thing will come out later in the day?

Manji Uzuki

Ok, this is...weird.

By the looks of it they went too far with the micro thing. And that big window thing is just hilarious. It everything looks so crazy that almos seem like a fake.

I had a Game Gear back in the day and it has some great games, but this looks so uncomfortable to play with... Also just 4 games per color is nonsense. I don't know I guess it will have it's niche market but definitely not my cup of tea.

Come on Sega, release some Saturn mini and I will buy it day one.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I always wanted a gamegear...but I'm not looking forward to the arthritis this is bound to cause due to the size. What am I supposed to play this with, my thoughts?

jigglet

Banned
Yes the screen is stupidly small, but I'd buy this just for the novelty value if only they didn't lock it behind this anti-consumer strategy of having 4 distinct games per colour. I'm not going to buy 3-4 of these things.

iconmaster

Banned
Putting different games on different color SKUs is certainly novel, I'll give them that. If we're honest, there are usually only a couple games each of us really cares about when it comes to these retro consoles. $50 does seem a bit high.

dave_d

When I heard about this announcement I figured Sega would announce something incredible stupid because it is Sega of Japan. I hate being right and more right than I could have ever imagined in my wildest dreams.

Garnox

One of the spec sheets made it seem like its 10" wide and 4" tall?

Those images don't make it seem that way.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
All you doubters in this thread SEGA releasing 4 of these, you watched the SNES mini go on to sell millions, also these 4 devices are packed with excellent games.
This will be perfect for on the go gaming, no wires too.

All you SEGA Game Gear Micro haters:
34783_orig.gif

jigglet

Banned
This will be perfect for on the go gaming, no wires too.

I was just about to make a joke about this, something about wires / controllers with a portable console. But then it occurred to me - an external controller might actually be the only way you could even play this thing, look at that dpad lol.

Tarin02543

Well, this is a surprise. Will definitely buy one just for the fun of it.

It is interesting that the hardware is the real game gear hardware, not emulation.

You could eat that thing by accident, that's how small it is.

Think it's safe to say the entire world would've much preferred a Saturn or Dreamcast Mini to this, no questions asked. Or even a Nomad Mini, since at least they was basically a portable MegaDrive.

What a complete waste of a 60th anniversary, SEGA. At least the streaming service sounds interesting.

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
A gaming announcement? When more important voices need to be heard? What the hell, Sega??

Seriously though, this thing looks pretty pointless. I can kinda understand it from a collectible standpoint but I wonder if these things will even be sold outside of Japan.

In this thread people take things waaaay too seriously....

This is a novelty collectible as part of 60 year celebrations, and a pretty amazing one at that, if Nintendo released a novelty Gameboy keyring like this people would go crazy for it.

If it gets hacked and has enough storage to at least put my fave games on I'd totally get one for the lols.

No. It'd be just as stupid IMHO, especially being this small. Does this thing even have HDMI Out? You'd probably risk an eye injury trying to play these games on a screen that small.

Wait so this isn't even what I was hoping it'd be, i.e a way for players to stream arcade games at home and tying in some reward incentives to facilitate home/arcade cross-play and commute?

Welp, this week sucked for big gaming news. Let's just write this one out of the books, fellas.

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
It could be used to locate a small penis as well for those of us who don't have the luxury of being well endowed
... you mean, what they say about NeoGAF isn't true??

I don't think my 3 year old neice could play that.
Niece: sees JORMBO play current-gen console on big-ass TV
Niece: "Uncle? Can I play too?"
JORMBO: *hands her a Game Gear Micro* "Here kiddo, you can have this"

Top Bottom