• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega announces Game Gear Micro

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
Was looking forward to great sega news but now...

tenor.gif

Bryank75

Banned
This journalist is going on my 'irrelevant' list... 'on the level of the wired PS5 exclusive'..... fuck off!

That's a fucking suppository.

Looks nifty, but I wish they announced it at a time that we all weren't starving for any kind of gaming news. I'll pick it up but only if it's $25 or less.

At the right price and built to the general scale of the original hardware, I'd be willing to entertain the notion of buying a handheld-take on the mini-console trend. This tiny Game Gear is cute, but probably not something I'm going to want.

Last edited:

jts

...hate me...
There’s something wrong with that fucking hand.

The news is about on par with what can be expected from Sega. LOL @ people expecting buyout news or a major console.

As the initial teaser announced, further details have been released as of 13:00, which can be seen in the below video. In short, each of the four colored units has its own specific games, and they're offering a magnifying device for the screen. Currently, the magnifying unit, the "Big Window Micro," is only mentioned as being obtainable as a benefit/privilege for purchasing all four units.

The full website has also gone live: https://60th.sega.com/ggmicro/

Last edited:

Kazza

For those people who always allow themselves to get hyped, and then disappointed, by journalists, I only have this to say:

Kazza

As the initial teaser announced, further details have been released as of 13:00, which can be seen in the below video. In short, each of the four colored units has its own specific games, and they're selling a magnifying device for the screen.

The full website has also gone live: https://60th.sega.com/ggmicro/

At around $45 I thought "Ok, that's not bad value if you get 40 games like on the Megadrive Mini", but according to that video it's only 4 games per colour! That combined with the tiny size means it's a no from me.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
kv.png

source:

After one hour of gaming

g2hC.gif

Still holding my old Game Gear, didn't play on it since around 25 years though :messenger_winking_tongue: Would love a new game gear to rival the Switch!

149681.jpg

Kazza

I don't want to give anyone hope, but this might not necessarily be the "big" announcement. We'll know in a few hours...

Now I believe 2020 isn't real. We're all being fooled, like in the Truman show. I'm waiting for someone to come around and say 'Gotcha!". This must be an elaborate troll. Everything must be. From MS "gameplay" show over Sonys delayfest to this "huge" SEGA announcement. They gotta be shitting us. Is this real?

GenericUser

I was a genesis kid myself and I don't want to shit on the game gear, but isn't it necessary for a "micro console" that the original console it is based off, had good games? The game gear has half a handful of titles worth mentioning ... I'm not interested in this. I want a saturn mini!

Kazza

Loved my Game Gear as a kid. Even if it did eat up all my dad's batteries.

I'm always so surprised when I see comments like this. Did anyone who owned a Game Gear back then seriously not own the battery charge pack?

010086021189.jpg

I pretty much bought one day one. IIRC, the cost was only a bit more than a couple of packs of batteries. It's insane to me that there were people who just kept spunking money on batteries when they could have just bought this. Although it adds another thing to carry around, most kids would have been playing it sitting in the car or on the ground outdoors anyway, so it didn't really matter.

Agent X

Seems like it could be a cute novelty, like something you put on a keychain to have a few laughs with friends, but the tiny size doesn't seem terribly practical for playing the games.

I'd rather have a "mini" (not so "micro") Game Gear that's about the size of the original Game Boy Advance, with a modern LCD display and 20-30 great games built in. A cartridge slot would be a nice bonus.

Actually, now that I think about it, what I'd really like is a mini Atari Lynx with those features, but that's highly unlikely to happen.

Kazza

I was a genesis kid myself and I don't want to shit on the game gear, but isn't it necessary for a "micro console" that the original console it is based off, had good games? The game gear has half a handful of titles worth mentioning ... I'm not interested in this. I want a saturn mini!

The Game Gear had a very good library of games. I would say all the Mickey Mouse/Disney games, the Wonder Boy games, the two Shinobi games and the Sonic games are all still worth playing today (off the top of my head). It also had some exceptional ports of Megadrive/Genesis games (for an early 90s 8-bit handheld) such as Streets of Rage 1 and 2, Road Rash, Ristar, Gunstar Heroes etc (although these are a little redundant nowadays with the superior 16-bit versions being so readily available.

Sega Lord X had a good personal selection here:

I suspect this micro console will be Japan only.

Last edited:

lachesis

Now that's the typical Sega move - they somehow know to f up royally... always.
As a fan, it's a real pain.

Well... I may get one for nostalgia purpose, but man... just 4 games per? Really, for 40 some bucks per? :/

Top Bottom