• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega PC ports campaign continues with petition (Vanquish, Bayonetta, VF5)

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
confirmed

nnpS10e.jpg

Dario ff

Banned
I'm not sure if I would bet on the remaining gaming sites pulling that much traffic. Here's some stats from experience on one of my videos which got featured on the following sites:

tFOsnJU.png

And that's just a video, the ratio of click-through to a petition and signing is probably far less. Not saying they didn't do a good job for the petition so far, but I'd really try to get more Youtubers on board. They can pull far bigger numbers, and I wouldn't be surprised if TotalBiscuit was one of the big reasons the Dark Souls petition was so succesful in the first place. He's completely out of the question due to the Sega boycott tho, which is a shame, but there's probably more channels out there that could help.

Getting more press sites is good, but Youtubers can get their fanbase to help out more than just readers of a gaming news website. Of the remaining sites, I just recommend asking PCGamer and RPS. I don't have much suggestions for Youtubers yet, but I'll see what I can find that might be relevant.

(The Destructoid one was by Jim Sterling since he tends to be interested in Sega's stuff, so I wouldn't consider them an option anymore since he's at The Escapist now)

Grief.exe

Thanks for the info Dario.

We have been trying to get youtubers on since day one, not many hits other than Francis retweeting us.

I will try to get PCgamer and RPS on our side once again.

Grief.exe

it's a very low number I think.

Dark Souls PC petition got like 70,000 signatures and that just a one very overrated game.

My game of the generation.

Dark Souls also speaks to the majority of the demographic, Bayonetta and Vanquish are, admittedly, more niche.

Valkyria Chronicles would speak to the demographic more, but it is not really a well known title.

TaroYamada

Was at work, replying now:

The article on PCGH didn't work at all, which is surprising and disappointing.

That was you? Nice catch.

I'm curious to know if Grief has already spoken with Patrick.

Neither I, nor Grief, has heard back unfortunately.

Guys we need another push. Maybe new targets? Destructoid, GamesRadar, etc.

Will update targets in OP, Gamespot too.

confirmed

nnpS10e.jpg

Good enough for me :p

Have we tried to get coverage from PCGamesN yet?

Yes, they already covered this.

I think 9000-10,000 signatures is commendable, especially without an excess of mainstream media support.

I agree; folks need to remember that SEGA took the Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown petition into consideration for that game's home console port; it had ~800 signatures. We've already made an impact but it doesn't mean we should stop trying, we need to get as many as we can to sign this.

I'm not sure if I would bet on the remaining gaming sites pulling that much traffic. Here's some stats from experience on one of my videos which got featured on the following sites:

tFOsnJU.png

And that's just a video, the ratio of click-through to a petition and signing is probably far less. Not saying they didn't do a good job for the petition so far, but I'd really try to get more Youtubers on board. They can pull far bigger numbers, and I wouldn't be surprised if TotalBiscuit was one of the big reasons the Dark Souls petition was so succesful in the first place. He's completely out of the question due to the Sega boycott tho, which is a shame, but there's probably more channels out there that could help.

Getting more press sites is good, but Youtubers can get their fanbase to help out more than just readers of a gaming news website. Of the remaining sites, I just recommend asking PCGamer and RPS. I don't have much suggestions for Youtubers yet, but I'll see what I can find that might be relevant.

(The Destructoid one was by Jim Sterling since he tends to be interested in Sega's stuff, so I wouldn't consider them an option anymore since he's at The Escapist now)

I agree Dario and I've made YouTubers a priority since day one. I figured we would have an easier time reaching them and an easier time getting them to push us versus the major online outlets. I was wrong, it was the exact opposite, we've had an easier time getting on sites than getting on Youtube channels. The only successes we've had, as far as major Youtuber's are concerned, is some tweets/retweets from Boogie, Maximilian and Super Bunny Hop.

TotalBiscuit would be a massive assistance but he's not willing to promote something like this despite our best efforts.

Grief.exe

I agree Dario and I've made YouTubers a priority since day one. I figured we would have an easier time reaching them and an easier time getting them to push us versus the major online outlets. I was wrong, it was the exact opposite, we've had an easier time getting on sites than getting on Youtube channels. The only successes we've had, as far as major Youtuber's are concerned, is some tweets/retweets from Boogie, Maximilian and Super Bunny Hop.

TotalBiscuit would be a massive assistance but he's not willing to promote something like this despite our best efforts.

You would think it would be the opposite and we would get in with the Youtube personalities before the media outlets. These guys are enthusiasts, just like you and me.

Frankie on PC might be a good option https://twitter.com/FRANKIEonPC

Nillansan

Grief, I was wondering if you could Tweet the posts by Clumsyorchid acknowledging the campaign? We need to get them out in the wild. Most of the coverage seems to use the initial Tweet by the Sega community team, which in my honest opinion, was a much less encouraging message compared to the follow-up posts by Clumsyorchid.

I did something similar to supplement Taro's Tweet to Gamespot.

itQX21tfEVOsE.PNG

I'm a little depressed that we haven't made more impact. Only passed 8300 signatures.

We're not in a good position, are we?

What is a PC gamer supposed to do to get ports? I feel bad.

I'm a little depressed that we haven't made more impact. Only passed 8300 signatures.

It is rather depressing that we've slowed down from over 1000 sigs a day, to just 100 or so a day. There are still plenty of news outlets and youtube personalities that haven't covered the petition, but I doubt they're going to help out at this point. I'm not sure outright spamming people with tweets does a whole lot for our image.

Zabka

I almost didn't sign because change.org asks for a street address. Did the Dark Souls petition ask for so much info?

Maybe we should turn our attention away from the big news outlets and more towards big youtubers? Or has that already been brought up?

Contacting the likes of NorthernLion, TotalBiscuit, etc. would surely give this petition a bump.

Maybe we should turn our attention away from the big news outlets and more towards big youtubers? Or has that already been brought up?

Contacting the likes of NorthernLion, TotalBiscuit, etc. would surely give this petition a bump.

Please, please read the last page of the thread. If that's too much to ask for, then at least the last 10 posts. Or just the OP.

Targeting YouTube personalities has been a goal from day 1 and is much more difficult than getting an article on Kotaku or other outlets. Total Biscuit would not offer any help, as he boycotts everything Sega.

Grief.exe

I think 9000 signatures is quite respectable, I feel like we can get more but need some help from news outlets.

It is rather depressing that we've slowed down from over 1000 sigs a day, to just 100 or so a day. There are still plenty of news outlets and youtube personalities that haven't covered the petition, but I doubt they're going to help out at this point. I'm not sure outright spamming people with tweets does a whole lot for our image.

It has been effective up to this point. I have been emailing people as well.

We've been trying, but it really seems like they don't give a shit.

Going to push for northern and Frankie today.

Nillansan

I'm not sure outright spamming people with tweets does a whole lot for our image.

I want to apologise in advance if this wasn't directed at my post, but I want to clarify that I didn't urge Grief to spam the acknowledgements. I asked him to Tweet it out once so that at the very least his followers sees them, it is a shame that these messages from Clumsyorchid haven't been picked up by the various outlets.

Nillansan

Don't give up just yet, we've done quite well so far, just keep pushing the campaign.

dani_dc

I think the biggest issues are the "need" for a real name and address (especially the address), people tend to see those fields and feel intimidated.
Unfortunately there's not much to be done in that area.

Dark Souls also had a seemingly bigger push by someone inside Namco (even if it was from a community manager), compared to Sega more lukewarm reaction, which in turn brought more press/youtube news until it became more viral allowing it to reach the 70K signatures.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I'll make a video on it a bit later, but that might only add a few subs. I'll as Cry on Skype about it later, but I don't think he'll be too interested.

TaroYamada

Just finished tweeting every staff member of PCG, and PCGUK, we'll see if any bite.

Grief, I was wondering if you could Tweet the posts by Clumsyorchid acknowledging the campaign? We need to get them out in the wild. Most of the coverage seems to use the initial Tweet by the Sega community team, which in my honest opinion, was a much less encouraging message compared to the follow-up posts by Clumsyorchid.

I did something similar to supplement Taro's Tweet to Gamespot.

itQX21tfEVOsE.PNG

A good recommendation, I've since added one of Clumsy's forum posts to each tweet I made today.

I honestly have no idea, I'm surprised too.

I almost didn't sign because change.org asks for a street address. Did the Dark Souls petition ask for so much info?

I assume so, it was on the same website, or at least petitionbureau was owned by change. I'd prefer another site too but with the GTAV and Dark Souls petitions using Change.org venues, they were hands down the most popular and as such I went with them.

I'll make a video on it a bit later, but that might only add a few subs. I'll as Cry on Skype about it later, but I don't think he'll be too interested.

Much appreciated.

edit: will add to OP, Shenmue guys made us a facebook page.

EMT0

Banned

Blame the disjointed one-two we did between a tweet campaign and the petition, and the time it took to get a petition up and running. That more or less destroyed the general wave of goodwill and left only the really invested after the initial euphoria petered out.

It's just an idea but could we try PCGamingWiki and the Steam General forums?

Also has someone pm'd Jim Sterling? He's got a love/hate relationship with Sega and might help.

Nillansan

Need some help guys, trying to drum up more media attention targeting PCgamer for now.

If you could retweet this, or send a Tweet out to these guys yourselves that would be great!

https://twitter.com/Grief_exe/status/429372910982021120
https://twitter.com/TaroInCorja/status/429372741624410112

25Fdfaa.png

Grief, I was thinking if it wouldn't be more beneficial to link to the OP instead of your initial #SegaPCPorts Tweet?

Let me know if my little suggestions are getting on your nerves.

two of the games bombed hard on PS360. Vanquish won't get a sequel ever (and it is an overrated game). I could see the VF5 port but that's about it.

TaroYamada

I wish we didn't had to beg :\

Me too, me too.

Blame the disjointed one-two we did between a tweet campaign and the petition, and the time it took to get a petition up and running. That more or less destroyed the general wave of goodwill and left only the really invested after the initial euphoria petered out.

There's a variety of issues but really we also just have less interest, less press, less of a push from within SEGA (though still encouraging) for this vs. the way it was with Dark Souls for PC. I'm still convinced we've made some impact though, and I must stress once more that this company took an 800 signature petition into consideration for Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown's home console port.

It's just an idea but could we try PCGamingWiki and the Steam General forums?

Also has someone pm'd Jim Sterling? He's got a love/hate relationship with Sega and might help.

I'll look into Sterling, thanks.

Top Bottom