• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega PC ports campaign continues with petition (Vanquish, Bayonetta, VF5)

Pengew

I signed the petition a while back but just wanted to thank you guys for all the work you are putting in to this. I am going to try to help spread the word as well.

One thing that bothers me is negativity from some people when it comes to fan petitions. I have never understood that attitude. Why come into these threads and tell everyone they are "wasting their time". I'm pretty sure that fan petition was the reason we got Dark Souls and DS2 on PC.

Dario ff

Banned
I'm actually perfectly content with ~10,000 signatures.

We didn't get the media or Youtube personality attention we needed to get extra momentum.
I know 10,000 signatures doesn't translate to 10,000 sales*, but wouldn't that number at least be profitable enough to justify it, at least for the easy ports mentioned in there? We need some angular graphics guesstimate porting costs. :p

*: The sale numbers would be way more in reality, at least for Bayonetta. Doesn't mean those 10,000 people would buy it either.

Nillansan

I signed the petition a while back but just wanted to thank you guys for all the work you are putting in to this. I am going to try to help spread the word as well.

One thing that bothers me is negativity from some people when it comes to fan petitions. I have never understood that attitude. Why come into these threads and tell everyone they are "wasting their time". I'm pretty sure that fan petition was the reason we got Dark Souls and DS2 on PC.

Thank you, any help is much appreciated!

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Why VF5 sure Final Showdown would be better? Also can you petition them for VF6 while you are at it? Thanks!
All the footage in the trailer is of FS so I'm guessing it's just assumed we want the most recent revision

ezodagrom

Something that I thought that may be interesting about the PC port of Sonic Generations.

A few days ago I checked the number of people who were in the leaderboards for Green Hill Act 1, it was 21332.
In the global achievements of the game, 10.7% of players got the achievement of joining the leaderboards.
If the achievement was only for Green Hill Act 1, based on both the number of people in the learderboard and the percentage of people who got the achievement, that would mean that there were around 199365 copies of the game sold, but since there's several players who may have entered the leaderboards without touching the Green Hill Act 1 stage in the online mode, that means that the actual number of sales is higher than this 199k value.

Basically, the 199 thousands value may not even be close to the actual number of sales, but it gives an idea that at least the game sold more than that, right? (unless I made a mistake)...

Dario ff

Banned
Something that I thought that may be interesting about the PC port of Sonic Generations.

A few days ago I checked the number of people who were in the leaderboards for Green Hill Act 1, it was 21332.
In the global achievements of the game, 10.7% of players got the achievement of joining the leaderboards.
If the achievement was only for Green Hill Act 1, based on both the number of people in the learderboard and the percentage of people who got the achievement, that would mean that there were around 199365 copies of the game sold, but since there's several players who may have entered the leaderboards without touching the Green Hill Act 1 stage in the online mode, that means that the actual number of sales is higher than this 199k value.

Basically, the 199 thousands value may not even be close to the actual number of sales, but it gives an idea that at least the game sold more than that, right? (unless I made a mistake)...

Oh hey, did you see me there by any chance? :p I did that exact same method 2 months ago. I ended up with 183432 copies after the division.
4uKHqGy.jpg
My snapshot is from Dec 2 2013.

17k copies sold in around 2 months then after all this time.

ezodagrom

Oh hey, did you see me there by any chance? :p I did that exact same method 2 months ago. I ended up with 183432 copies after the division.

My snapshot is from Dec 2 2013.

17k copies sold in around 2 months then after all this time.
I noticed the 99 minutes time, but didn't check from who it was. xD
(The one I used to check is the 46 minutes time in the leaderboards, account from a family member that doesn't play in the online mode).

TaroYamada

That's actually rather impressive; especially because they reset the leaderboards at least once IIRC.

Also we're doing decent, should break 9k soon enough. Not much luck getting more press yet, maybe that will help.

ArjanN

I forget if people who bought a game but never played a game are still counted in the global achievements stats. Anyone know?

Yea it's too bad Totalbiscuit refuses to cover anything Sega (since they screwed him with some copyright claim horseshit) cause that'd give the campaign a massive boost as it did when he covered the Dark Souls petition.

Wasn't it Sega of Japan going around filing the copyright claims without SoA and SoE's input anyway? Seems like in the end he's really only doing harm to the part of Sega that had quite literally nothing to do with it.

TaroYamada

Wasn't it Sega of Japan going around filing the copyright claims without SoA and SoE's input anyway? Seems like in the end he's really only doing harm to the part of Sega that had quite literally nothing to do with it.

Yes, it was SoJ and SEGA eventually removed the copyright strike but he wants an apology IIRC.

Grief.exe posted this rather interesting (and somewhat ironic) article on his Twitter account:

Packaged revenue now even with digital, PC sales double those on console after nine-months

PC, digital and Pachinko machines have been Sega's strongest performers at this point in the fiscal year, while packaged console sales have fallen to just 1.2 million units across all platforms.

In the nine-month period ended December 31, 2013, Sega Sammy Holdings earned ¥304 billion ($2.9 billion) in revenue, up 47 per cent over the previous year. The company made a ¥44 billion ($431 million) net profit, a huge improvement over the ¥3 billion it earned in the prior year.

The strongest division in the company was its Pachinko and Pachislot machines, which generated ¥160 billion ($157 million) in revenue, up 115 per cent year-on-year. Operating income for the division was ¥50 billion ($49 million), a vast increase of 540 per cent.

Sega's Consumer business - which covers console, PC and mobile games - contributed far less to the bottom line, though it did show signs of improvement. In the first nine-months of the fiscal year, Consumer earned ¥73 billion ($715 million) in revenue, a rise of 20 per cent. Operating income was ¥2.8 billion ($27 million), a 436.7 per cent turnaround over the prior year..

Overall, packaged software sales fell from 6.94 million at this point last year to 6.31 million. However, that figure hides a couple of notable trends,

Sega's packaged console and handheld sales have collapsed, falling from 2.73 million to just 1.2 million. Now, PC is the platform that yields the most packaged sales, rising from 770,000 last year to around 2.27 million this year, with Football Manager the best-selling title overall. Sega's catalogue remains its single most important contributor with 2.81 million sales - not as good as the 3.4 million catalogue sales last year, but still the highest individual market segment.

In the future, the importance of packaged retail for Sega may diminish further. This fiscal year has seen packaged and digital revenues virtually neck-and-neck, with ¥28.4 billion and ¥28.3 billion in revenue respectively. That represents a substantial difference from this time last year, when packaged revenue was ¥26.3 billion and digital was ¥20.5 billion.

"The Group intends to concentrate its management resources in this [digital] field going forward," the company said in a note to investors.

Trojan X

Banned
Yup. About to say the same thing.

Didn't we wanted 6000 or 10,000?

Edit: Oh, we need 20,000. Much more press coverage is needed to help make this happen along with an easy to remember and insert URL as the current one is too long. Something like segapetition.com would be more ideal.

Anteater

Yup. About to say the same thing.

Didn't we wanted 6000 or 10,000?

Edit: Oh, we need 20,000. Much more press coverage is needed to help make this happen along with an easy to remember and insert URL as the current one is too long. Something like segapetition.com would be better.

I hope the youtube people will jump in :(

I think a lot of people reading those press articles (or glance at the title) usually don't think it's necessary to help out because it gives an impression that the petition is already doing big numbers to get an article on big sites, as compared to dude asking everyone to help out since it's still on going. The petition isn't just about bringing one popular game (like dark souls) afterall.

Trojan X

Banned
I hope the youtube people will jump in :(

I think a lot of people reading those press articles (or glance at the title) usually don't think it's necessary to help out because it gives an impression that the petition is already doing big numbers to get an article on big sites, as compared to dude asking everyone to help out since it's still on going. The petition isn't just about bringing one popular game (like dark souls) afterall.

However, my friend, in the end of the day it's all about the support numbers and that is what Sega, if they are serious, care about most. So no matter what, we just need those numbers whether it's from the press, youtube, or what ever communication channel thatcan provide the results to make it all happen or not. So regarding the press, it is all about the wording and how much support they give; whether they like to see this really happen or they don't really give a damn. Big sites can do anything they want such as top spot feature articles, banners, anything they wish. There really is no such thing as "cannot do", only "they don't want to do" as in supporting the campaign or not. Yes, in the synical eyes they could see this as a free campaign for Sega, but if they care about the industry then you wouldn't see any resistence from them.

Anyhow, i am crossing my fingers for the numbers to be achieved in a short time. Meanwhile, I will continue to let other people know about the petition for further support.

Anteater

However, my friend, in the end of the day it's all about the support numbers and that is what Sega, if they are serious, care about most. So no matter what, we just need those numbers whether it's from the press, youtube, or what ever communication channel thatcan provide the results to make it all happen or not. So regarding the press, it is all about the wording and how much support they give; whether they like to see this really happen or they don't really give a damn. Big sites can do anything they want such as top spot feature articles, banners, anything they wish. There really is no such thing as "cannot do", only "they don't want to do" as in supporting the campaign or not. Yes, in the synical eyes they could see this as a free campaign for Sega, but if they care about the industry then you wouldn't see any resistence from them.

Anyhow, i am crossing my fingers for the numbers to be achieved in a short time. Meanwhile, I will continue to let other people know about the petition for further support.

Yeah, just saying that there doesn't seem to be much support from people on youtube channels (outside of gaffers) from reading this thread, but I don't really watch them so I could be wrong :lol

Trojan X

Banned
Yeah, just saying that there doesn't seem to be much support from people on youtube channels (outside of gaffers) from reading this thread, but I don't really watch them so I could be wrong :lol

I guess the vid need support from a big network like machinima.

Paracelsus

I don't understand, with the average machine getting closer and closer to curbstomp what PS3 and 360 can do, to not port every single game from the past generation on PC looks like a waste. They don't even need to optimize anything that much.

Spaghetti

ah don't get so negative. the numbers were never really that important, it's not like sega set a figure we had to reach to get these games ported.

it was a way to grab their attention and give some indication of demand, just like the aforementioned virtua fighter 5 final showdown petition. we've got a lot of attention, a sizeable amount of signatures, and given sega's financials showing that a significant portion of the revenue is coming from pc, i wouldn't be surprised that we've done enough to get some wheels turning.

we've done our part. we can maintain the petition and keep awareness up and maybe bag another 2-3k signatures, but for the most part we've done all we needed to.

Colin.

Shame this hasn't went beyond the 10k mark yet. I guess with the lack of recent coverage, that is bound to happen. But going from a handful of Gaffer interest, to over 9k's worth is still good work. Hopefully Sega knows that the actual demand would be considerably higher, if any of these games did make it onto Steam. As many people aren't aware of a lot of upcoming games until they are actually released. I keep myself fairly up to date, but there some games that even I'm not aware of until they come out, or shortly before hand.

TaroYamada

Finally remembered to sign the petition and have just bought Binary Domain.

Enjoy Binary Domain, one of my favorite games in the TPS genre. It has its flaws but make sure you give it a fair shake, thanks for the signature.

The petition really lost a lot of steam. I hope it's possible to get it back on track.

I'm holding you personally responsible for it!

ah don't get so negative. the numbers were never really that important, it's not like sega set a figure we had to reach to get these games ported.

it was a way to grab their attention and give some indication of demand, just like the aforementioned virtua fighter 5 final showdown petition. we've got a lot of attention, a sizeable amount of signatures, and given sega's financials showing that a significant portion of the revenue is coming from pc, i wouldn't be surprised that we've done enough to get some wheels turning.

we've done our part. we can maintain the petition and keep awareness up and maybe bag another 2-3k signatures, but for the most part we've done all we needed to.

^

So is this over now? I'm almost on the verge of getting another PS3 for my VF5 fix

Get the PS3 is my advice, even if the campaign is successful and SEGA does what we want, I imagine it'd still be a bit of time before VF5 arrived on PC.

Zarx

There is a chance we have got enough attention to maybe get some attention within Sega. But if there had been 20K+ signs by now it would have made a much bigger impact. I also think if the campaign would have been focused on one game it also would have had a bigger impact as well. There is still a chance something might come of this but I am honestly don't think it's worth getting my hopes up over 9K signatures after 3 weeks.

At least it's got more chance of having an impact than the FF XV one.

belmonkey

Dunno if it's happened yet, but an article in favor of the petition, which cites Sega's positive performance on PC over the last year would be helpful.

Trojan X

Banned
Honestly. The ONLY reason that it only received this much signature is due to exposure.

People does not know about this petition, they really don't. I guarantee that if it was Sega that made this petition the exposure would have been much bigger because it would be from an official body, I.e. More news worthy for media attention, and more trust that something will or could happen. This means further that sites such as IGN would have definitely put out up an article about it to inform more people and people on Sega's forum alone would have easily contributed to surpass 20,000 in less than three days. This I really guarantee this and I know Sega is reading my post about this right now.

So the question is was this petition all for nothing? The answer is no... Not at all. Look at what we have accomplish with minimum exposure. LOOK AT IT! Only an non knowledgable person would say, "blah. It wasn't anything special" and leave it at that. Over 9000 supporters with minimum or hardly any exposure along with the way it was presented (no clear memorable link to the petition for easier spread, etc) is big . Now, if Sega really want measurable numbers so they can make a clear and safer business decision, then all their community and PR staff need to do is pick up from where we left off. THAT'S IT. It will cost them zero money, just a little bit of their time and management per week to execute and evaluate, even a new promo video will help, which they can easily create. Honestly, there is really NO EXCUSES for them not to do this other than they can't be bothered (the story of Sega staff' life when it comes to things like this), which perfectly answer why Sega has been looked down upon by their own community and media for years.

So what do we do? Simple, we continue on spreading them word and push Sega to take the torch, that's all.

Top Bottom