• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega PC ports campaign continues with petition (Vanquish, Bayonetta, VF5)

At least we're getting more Platinum goodness on PC in the form of that Korra game. Shame about Bayonetta and Vanquish though. Could have been so good.

TaroYamada

At least we're getting more Platinum goodness on PC in the form of that Korra game. Shame about Bayonetta and Vanquish though. Could have been so good.

I've been told patience is a virtue. If I'm wrong I'll email the right people for a restart, which will not go off with a bang but more of a spurt.

Ushiwaka

I've been told patience is a virtue. If I'm wrong I'll email the right people for a restart, which will not go off with a bang but more of a spurt.

I'm all in for a restart and will do anything to help.

Bayo, Vanquish, VC and so many other good games have so much potential and SEGA should not forget about them.

Tizoc

Sega doesnt have any planned releases for 2015 do they? Maybe we will get more classics pc ports next year.

Well, recently Sega did repair PC's Dreamcast Collection with an update. Probably they are preparing their audience for more games.

Hopefully, "Dreamcast Collection 2" and Vanquish, Bayonetta y VF5FS arrive at some time.

My credit card is ready

I just need Vanquish on PC. That's all I need. I've never joined in a petition, but this isn't for something frivolous or stupid. I WANT to give Sega my money for a solid Vanquish port, so I'll lend my voice if we're going at this again.

I wish there was as much people wanting and campaigning for SEGA to bring 3D Classics Batch 2 to the west as they are for this.

Sadly. it won't matter anyway, SEGA Japan doesn't let Sega America release anything that is not Sonic, Football Manager, Total War o Alien.

Lime

https://twitter.com/SEGA/status/514490310425325571

Someone asked Sega to bring Resonance of Fate to Steam, and the official twitter account said he would "pass that along". Its not much, but its nice to know Sega is listening.

I think Sega is at least thinking about bringing their console games to PC and this wasn't all for nothing. We know we have their attention.

They did put RoF up on PSN today, so maybe there's some rummaging.

Plus, the tri-ace characters were seen in the new Phantasy Star Nova, so...

Nillansan

I'm all in for a restart and will do anything to help.

I WANT to give Sega my money for a solid Vanquish port, so I'll lend my voice if we're going at this again.

I was contacted by the Shenmue campaign guys who have been helping out with the #SegaPCPorts campaign, they are encouraging us to do a restart, they will give us their full backing. It would be amazing if we could reach 20K signatures by the end of the year. I just need some suggestions for how we can go about this.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
How much do you guys think it costs to port a game from Dreamcast/Xbox/PS360 to PC?
Is $5-10 million a reasonable assumption for a good port?

That should give us an idea of how many signatures would be required to make a meaningful statement to SEGA.

alstein

How much do you guys think it costs to port a game from Dreamcast/Xbox/PS360 to PC?

That should give us an idea of how many signatures would be required to make a meaningful statement to SEGA.

A lot less than that. Probably in the six figure range.

Metal Gear Rising PC port was made by a team of less than 10 persons iirc.

Sentenza

That's enough for a remake.
A tenth of that budget should be enough for most high profile ports, if managed wisely.
Simpler ones most of the times take one or two persons for 3-4 months at most.

To give some context: there are Windows-to-Linux ports that are made by a single person in couple of weeks/one month.

iceatcs

Well it might need more time than console porting because got to test on multi-PCs with different CPU/GPU.

I dunno about how much difference in cost, both hardwares and developers are expensive. I think it is all about how long it take, the longer more cost.

Random guess:
a Console Devkit vs multi-PCs - likely about the same.
Same number devs team.
Timing is question. Some engine might be harder or easier to port.

Seem to me it is all about how long it will take that will affect the development cost.

Usobuko

Banned
I think they are unwilling because it also has to do with the fact that these games are dead series. I mean, compared to FF XIII, FF XV is coming. And the fact that they could only price it along the $20 range.

Well it might need more time than console porting because got to test on multi-PCs with different CPU/GPU.

I dunno about how much difference in cost, both hardware and developers are expensive. I think it is all about how long it take, the longer more cost.

Well, let's imagine you have a team of 10 persons (it's usually twice less persons, maybe even a third of that), paid 10 000 dollars per months (then again, it's likely to be twice less in these teams), for 1 year (again, ports never take that much, we're looking at 6 months at best).

In the worst case scenario, that would be 1,2 million dollars.
In a realistic case scenario, that would be 300 000 dollars for a port, made in 6 months, by 5 persons.

As for Metal Gear Rising PC Port, 9 person are listed in the PC credits + 7 persons as special thanks !

1411907007-pcstaffmgr.jpg

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
A lot less than that. Probably in the six figure range.

Metal Gear Rising PC port was made by a team of less than 10 persons iirc.

That's enough for a remake.
A tenth of that budget should be enough for most high profile ports, if managed wisely.
Simpler ones most of the times take one or two persons for 3-4 months at most.

To give some context: there are Windows-to-Linux ports that are made by a single person in couple of weeks/one month.

I dunno about how much difference in cost, both hardwares and developers are expensive. I think it is all about how long it take, the longer more cost.

Thanks for all the answers. So that means even $1 million is highballing it. In that case, if at least 20K people who sign a petition actually put their money where their mouth is, and SEGA sees at least $20 of that money per person, then they'd probably make back their initial investment.

I had no idea the amounts in question were so low. This is Kickstarter level money. Can't we do something more proactive than just sign a petition?

I think they are unwilling because it also has to do with the fact that these games are dead series. I mean, compared to FF XIII, FF XV is coming. And the fact that they could only price it along the $20 range.
I was surprised when they ported Jet Set Radio to PC given that they have other titles that would probably sell more (and JSR is a truly dead series, unfortunately), but I'm guessing it didn't require an extraordinary amount of effort to bring over.

Freeman

Banned
Might as well include western release of Yakuza games for PC.

Sega is just the worst, making you games available for more people to play shouldn't be so hard and definitely not an afterthought.

Sentenza

It's also worth noting that in reality most "PC ports" exist already as incomplete internal dev builds.
They wouldn't even require full commitment, just to put a couple of guy to fix/complete that build and test it in few different environments before releasing it.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
It's also worth noting that in reality most "PC ports" exist already as incomplete internal dev builds.
They wouldn't even require full commitment, just to put a couple of guy to fix/complete that build and test it in few different environments before releasing it.

If every person who signed that petition put down $20 into a fund right now, we'd have about a quarter million dollars. Is there any way to get SEGA to give us a cost estimate?

iceatcs

Well, let's imagine you have a team of 10 persons (it's usually twice less persons, maybe even a third of that), paid 10 000 dollars per months (then again, it's likely to be twice less in these teams), for 1 year (again, ports never take that much, we're looking at 6 months at best).

In the worst case scenario, that would be 1,2 million dollars.
In a realistic case scenario, that would be 300 000 dollars for a port, made in 6 months, by 5 persons.

As for Metal Gear Rising PC Port, 9 person are listed in the PC credits + 7 persons as special thanks !
Yeah I was thinking about 10 to 20 people on porting group. Still there is more thing got to pay up like hardware, licences, etc..
But lol - No way they are paid ~1400 a month. Maybe $2500 a month.

So 7 x 2500 = 17500 month on salary rather than 10000 a month.

Dario ff

Banned
Worth noting that the real number might be less than that considering some of those jobs. The UI Artist likely had to spend a few days to do the new Keyboard / Mouse prompt icons (which are about the only new thing in the port), and the translator had to do just a couple of new lines for the menus. Definitely not the kind of jobs that would take 6 months.

Yeah I was thinking about 10 to 20 people on porting group. Still there is more thing got to pay up like hardware, licences, etc..

So 7 x 2500 = 17500 month on salary rather than 10000 a month.

I meant 10000 $ per persons :p
So, 10 x 10 000 = 100 000 dollars per months on salary :p
As I said, I choosed the highest possible. Of course some of them are paid half or even a quarter of that !

Worth noting that the real number might be less than that considering some of those jobs. The UI Artist likely had to spend a few days to do the new Keyboard / Mouse prompt icons (which are about the only new thing in the port), and the translator had to do just a couple of new lines for the menus. Definitely not the kind of jobs that would take 6 months.

Yes ! Also that ! Some of these jobs aren't required for that long ! Granted that any port takes 6 months or so.
UI Artist is at worse a two weeks job, maybe a month. As for the translator, it was just about a few new lines on the menus.

iceatcs

I meant 10000 $ per persons :p
So, 10 x 10 000 = 100 000 dollars per months on salary :p
As I said, I choosed the highest possible. Of course some of them are paid half or even a quarter of that !

Oh yeah, make sense.

I thought you said team of ten for 10,000 a month.

Sentenza

I'd buy Vanquish and Bayo day 1 if they were ported. I'd pay in advance if that was what was required.
There was that notorious gif of someone at Platinum playing Bayonetta with Nvidia 3D vision (which implies an existing PC build).
That's one of those cases I was referring about when I pointed that there are PC ports that already exist even if they are not released on the market.

The implication, of course, is that given how part of work is already done, if Sega/Platinum would decide to release Bayonetta on PC it would cost them peanuts, relatively speaking.

Oh yeah, make sense.

I thought you said team of ten for 10,000 a month.

Ah yes, my fault ! I made the phrasing kinda weird ! But still, as I said, you're looking at worst at a 1,2 million job for a year long port, with 10 people all paid 10 000 dollars.
That's definitely really highballing.

Peff

There was that notorious gif of someone at Platinum playing Bayonetta with Nvidia 3D vision (which implies an existing PC build).
That's one of those cases I was referring about when I pointed that there are PC ports that already exist even if they are not released on the market.

The implication, of course, is that given how part of work is already done, if Sega/Platinum would decide to release Bayonetta on PC it would cost them peanuts, relatively speaking.

That was Hideki Kamiya himself:

840937099quxo.jpg

If only that team that got a porting job for their first assignment had finished this up instead of that crummy Viking thing... BUT HEY, PC PEOPLE LIKE TOTAL WAR, AMIRITE?

Sentenza

That was Hideki Kamiya himself:

840937099quxo.jpg

If only that team that got a porting job for their first assignment had finished this up instead of that crummy Viking thing... BUT HEY, PC PEOPLE LIKE TOTAL WAR, AMIRITE?
On a side note, you just remembered me that I bought that Viking thing and I have yet to play it.

Dascu

Hardware? I imagine they got a decent selection of PCs around their office(s). Licences? Like what?

I feel you're overestimating the cost and difficulty a little bit.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
I wonder if Nintendo would need to give an OK on a PC port of Bayonetta. I imagine Sega isn't obligated to ask them, but maybe there's some political reason they would want to.

Regardless, why not focus initially on older Sega games that already have a PC port, but aren't available on Steam? Like Billy Hatcher, Typing of the Dead, House of the Dead 2 and 3, etc.

Could be a good way to get the ball rolling and open the lines of communication with Sega.

edit: forgot about Crazy Taxi 3.

iceatcs

Ah yes, my fault ! I made the phrasing kinda weird ! But still, as I said, you're looking at worst at a 1,2 million job for a year long port, with 10 people all paid 10 000 dollars.
That's definitely really highballing.

Not bad. So let's said about 33% for royalties. $1,600,000 at worst case scenario for one year with ten people.

Team of 20 - $3,120,000.

Hardware? I imagine they got a decent selection of PCs around their office(s). Licences? Like what?

I feel you're overestimating the cost and difficulty a little bit.

Eh, it is PC game development, they have to keep update all the latest hardware or testing most of variable hardware.

Licences - like software development kits. And some other softwares, like OS/apps - Photoshop, Windows...

So do you think $2500 for one person is overestimate?

Sentenza

Not bad. So let's said about 33% for royalties. $1,600,000 at worst case scenario for one year with ten people.

Team of 20 - $3,120,000.
Who the hell would use a "team of 20" for one full year to develop a single port?
And royalties about what, exactly?

Nillansan

I assume that it much less than that. The PC version of Alan Wake recouped the development and marketing costs in 48 hours (source).

Typing of the Dead: Overkill, which was released late last year sold above expectations and had a great launch week, I am assuming that Sega recouped the costs within a few days going by their statements. This is also far from being a straight port, it is fairly involved modification of House of the Dead: Overkill (source).

Sentenza

Steam fee, voice act, publisher etc... come on, use common sense.
There's no "Steam fee", I'm not sure where additional voice acting would come in play in a port, the publisher would be the one funding it in the first place and it doesn't need to pay royalties to himself...
No, sorry, I don't follow you at all.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
I assume that it much less than that. The PC version of Alan Wake recouped the development and marketing costs in 48 hours (source).

Typing of the Dead: Overkill, which was released late last year sold above expectations and had a great launch week, I am assuming that Sega recouped the costs within a few days going by their statements. This is also far from being a straight port, it is fairly involved modification of House of the Dead: Overkill (source).

If you're saying PC ports must be pretty cheap, that means either the rest of SEGA's ports sold horribly on Steam, or there's more to it than that (for example, perhaps those games already had internal pc versions, making the port that much simpler).

Dascu

Eh, it is PC game development, they have to keep update all the latest hardware or testing most of variable hardware.

Licences - like software development kits. And some other softwares, like OS/apps - Photoshop, Windows...
They're a development studio. They already have the latest hardware and software. You're sounding as if they have to get a Photoshop license just for a PC port. They've already got all that.

I don't mean to jump on you, nor do I mean to say that a PC port can happen just like that, but you're mentioning some really weird costs and expenses.

iceatcs

There's no "Steam fee", I'm not sure where additional voice acting would come in play in a port, the publisher would be the one funding it in the first place and it doesn't need to pay royalties to himself...
No, sorry, I don't follow you at all.

It is all about at the worst case scenario with the royalties. You never know if there is contract with actor that promise to pay a royal from profit.

So we could see that it is unlikely it will cost more than 1.6 millions if one year porting if there is less than 10 people team.

Top Bottom