• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega PC ports campaign continues with petition (Vanquish, Bayonetta, VF5)

Sentenza

If you're saying PC ports must be pretty cheap, that means either the rest of SEGA's ports sold horribly on Steam, or there's more to it than that (for example, perhaps those games already had internal pc versions, making the port that much simpler).
It's not impossible... But what does make you say so? Did SEGA complain about sales for any of its ports at some point?

It is all about at the worst case scenario.

So we could see that it is unlikely it will cost more than 1.6 millions if one year porting if there is less than 10 people team.
Yeah, you already said it, but one thing is to consider a "worst case scenario", another one is to inflate that worst case scenario beyond what's reasonable.
NO ONE takes one full year to make a straight port with a 20 persons team, and you were accounting for costs that hardly made any sense.

1,6 millions is already a worst case scenario.

Durante

I'll port Valkyria Chronicles to PC for 100k €. Contact me Sega.

For testing, I'll use a closed beta with open internet applications to cover a wide range of HW/SW configurations without paying through the nose, while also gathering valuable feedback from fans. It's the future. Just look at Ghostlight's very successful PC porting efforts.

Dario ff

Banned
If you're saying PC ports must be pretty cheap, that means either the rest of SEGA's ports sold horribly on Steam, or there's more to it than that (for example, perhaps those games already had internal pc versions, making the port that much simpler).
I dunno, even the stuff that I thought that sold horribly like the Dreamcast Collection is getting actual updates to fix the resolution cap and some other issues. It might just be a simple issue of studios being busy and having less (cheap) options to outsource to.

EDIT: ^ Case in point, they might just need someone to actually do the job.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
It's not impossible... But what does make you say so? Did SEGA complain about sales for any of its ports at some point?

I don't have any links, but I thought I read a while ago on GAF that they did.

I dunno, even the stuff that I thought that sold horribly like the Dreamcast Collection is getting actual updates to fix the resolution cap and some other issues. It might just be a simple issue of studios being busy and having less (cheap) options to outsource to.
That recent update is what got me interested in this campaign again. I hope more ports are already in the pipeline.

EDIT: ^ Case in point, they might just need someone to actually do the job.
Either way, it sounds like the main thing holding this campaign back is opening some line of communication with SEGA.
That should be our goal. Find somebody over there who's willing to talk to us about what it would take.

Peff

I can't imagine the ports have sold too terribly given they've continued putting them on PC and they've recently gone back and improved the first batch., and let's not forget Sonic Transformed, which has gotten a bunch of exclusive characters post-release, one of them being Shenmue's protagonist.

Mind you, I could definitely see Nights and Jet Set Radio not doing too hot, but on every platform. They kind of unceremoniously dropped them out there and that's about it.

Nillansan

I am sure that they did fine, why else would Sega ramp up their PC efforts? Hell, they even updated the Dreamcast Collection on Steam last week. All the games (Crazy Taxi, SEGA Bass Fishing, Sonic Adventure DX and Space Channel 5: Part 2) in the collection have been optimised, the initial resolution lock has been removed, wide-screen support has been added, native controller support has been added plus Steam Achievements.

Sega said:
- Fixed an issue where the launcher would fail to save settings.

- Added support for v-sync and FXAA.

- Now renders correctly at higher resolutions (above 720).

- Added Steam Achievements.

- Improved button prompts—now supports gamepad button prompts, and keyboard prompts are sensitive to user configurations.

- Keyboard controls can now be reconfigured.

- Implemented gamepad support across the game and launcher

Grief.exe

For testing, I'll use a closed beta with open internet applications to cover a wide range of HW/SW configurations without paying through the nose, while also gathering valuable feedback from fans. It's the future. Just look at Ghostlight's very successful PC porting efforts.

I will volunteer to help out your closdd beta efforts Durante.

Nillansan

I would love to participate in the closed beta ;)

This is serious I'm down for that, maybe convince them to let you port VC 2&3 too while you're at it.

baterism

Count me in on closed beta.

Hell, Sega really should push more on PC. Japan loved their pre-built isn't it? Just make a medium-high powered PC, design custom mini-ITX case, throw some SEGA logo in it, and called it Segabox or Segaware or Dreamcast 2 or whatever. And come preloaded with PSO2 and other Sega's Steam game.

Capitalize on your IP more Sega.

ArjanN

Well, recently Sega did repair PC's Dreamcast Collection with an update. Probably they are preparing their audience for more games.

Hopefully, "Dreamcast Collection 2" and Vanquish, Bayonetta y VF5FS arrive at some time.

My credit card is ready

The updated Dreamcast collection does make me think they might do more of the classic stuff.

I still hope for Bayonetta, Vanquish etc.

Heh.

Grief.exe

What I really want though, is the Xbox exclusives: JSRF, Panzer Dragoon Orta, GunValkrie, Otogi...

I believe Sega's next HD port was planned on being Shenmue and Skies of Arcadia, but the poor sales of Jet Set Radio threw a wrench into their plans.

If they had hit the drought on the PS4/XBO then they could have leveraged some solid sales.

cpooi

I believe Sega's next HD port was planned on being Shenmue and Skies of Arcadia, but the poor sales of Jet Set Radio threw a wrench into their plans.

If they had hit the drought on the PS4/XBO then they could have leveraged some solid sales.

I did my part. I bought JSR and convinced 2 friends to get it. One of them hates it though, he is stuck at the Combo vs Beat race.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?

do you have a link to Sega's most recent comment on the sales for JSR HD?

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals

Man with a plan.

Storm360

I'll put my name down the beta aswell if this happens (and for any future ports), I've not got experience with this series in general, but I have experience with professional testing.

All I want is to see these games preserved in a format so they can not only be replayed now, but also by future generations, as a kid, I loved looking back and experiencing all the games that were before my time, yet considered master pieces, and even sitting down with my father and playing stuff he used to play, i'd like to be able to do something similar with my kids some day if they also share the same interests.

me0wish

Just curious, how long do u expect it to take if you do?
Does porting psp games differ much from porting ps360 games in terms of time consumption?

Fuz

Banned
Yeah, I share the sentiment but I'm not gonna beg.

Their loss anyway, they'll just make way less money.

MaLDo

Thanks for all the answers. So that means even $1 million is highballing it. In that case, if at least 20K people who sign a petition actually put their money where their mouth is, and SEGA sees at least $20 of that money per person, then they'd probably make back their initial investment.

I had no idea the amounts in question were so low. This is Kickstarter level money. Can't we do something more proactive than just sign a petition?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=126960794&postcount=5548

Durante

Lol, I think it's a bit early to sign up for an imaginary Beta based on a remark I just threw out in this thread :p
(Not that I'm not serious, I'd totally quit my day job to port VC if it's a fair offer.

Their region lock on Steam is the worst bullshit I have to deal with them. They lost potential sales because of that. If it wasn't for my friend visiting the US, I wouldn't have been able to get Rising/SGenerations & Binary Domain. And I didn't fucking care if they weren't on sale.

ElTopo

Banned
I just want VF5 FS on Steam. The VF dudes I've talked to would love to make the switch to Steam and the game will probably grow even more ala Skullgirls on Steam.

KiraFA37

Lol, I think it's a bit early to sign up for an imaginary Beta based on a remark I just threw out in this thread :p
(Not that I'm not serious, I'd totally quit my day job to port VC if it's a fair offer.

And I'll just remark that if you need some help you can have some free student labour/internship from me. I want VC on PC so badly, which reminds I should really finish my PS3 copy...

Shadoken

I think with the numbers being thrown around here as to how cheap it is to port VC, we might have a similar situation to the yakuza localisation problem.

It's not that Sega won't turn up a profit, its just that the profit margin is soo small they feel it's better off investing in something else.

Storm360

Eh, I didn't see it as a sign up, I saw it as more like "if this happens and it's needed, i'm throwing my name down to support it"

Really like to see some of these games (*cough* vanquish) future proofed.

Spaghetti

Nothing definitive, mainly circumstantial evidence. Sega teased both Shenmue and Skies of Arcadia a couple times, but nothing has been said after the JSR release.

http://www.vg247.com/2012/03/14/seg...rcadia-dreamcast-as-next-downloadable-titles/
allegedly it was licencing issues that killed the shenmue port, but really, who knows at this point? could have been anything from licencing to poor sales to waiting for the new consoles to arrive that pushed back or killed plans for more ports.

i definitely don't think the sega heritage line is dead at all. no clue what sega shanghai is up to these days though.

If you're serious about this, you have my full backing.

Hah, if Sega, the world's most stubborn publisher, somehow actually decides to take you up on that offer.

EGM1966

Signed as I 100% believe Japanese developers are making a huge mistake (this gen in particular) by failing to understand how well they could leverage PC in Western markets.

I don't see why the don't recognise the role PC plays outside Japan as a gaming platform nor realise it's the best platform to leverage variable pricing as well as allowing many mid tier games to flourish.

Also I want Dragons Dogma on PC.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
I was contacted by the Shenmue campaign guys who have been helping out with the #SegaPCPorts campaign, they are encouraging us to do a restart, they will give us their full backing. It would be amazing if we could reach 20K signatures by the end of the year. I just need some suggestions for how we can go about this.

for a campaign reboot, this time focus on fewer games this time like maybe only Vanquish and Valkyria Chronicles for start (and just for start, so SEGA don't see a huge number of games and ignore the entire thing) also maybe we should no focus on Bayonetta since SEGA might have a deal with Nintendo to keep Bayo 1 superior port as Wii U seller for now and will be waste of effort to focus on that game instead of the others.

alstein

for a campaign reboot, this time focus on fewer games this time like maybe only Vanquish and Valkyria Chronicles for start (and just for start, so SEGA don't see a huge number of games and ignore the entire thing) also maybe we should no focus on Bayonetta since SEGA might have a deal with Nintendo to keep Bayo 1 superior port as Wii U seller for now and will be waste of effort to focus on that game instead of the others.

VF fans would be on board hard.

Mechazawa

It's really unfortunate that this kind of went over like a fart.

I thought Sega more than most other major japanese companies would have been receptive over some hot PC ports, but maybe the amount of interest just didn't give them enough confidence.

Top Bottom