• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega PC ports campaign continues with petition (Vanquish, Bayonetta, VF5)

Shepard

But isn't ATLUS owned by Sega? I don't see what the problem is.
I feel like Atlus is its own company inside of Sega, if that makes sense. We've seen lots of titles from "Sega Japan" on Steam, but not a single Atlus game. And the insider info specifically says Atlus, not Sega as a whole.
Edit: read it wrong, but the point still stands.

Isn't the SE version just a Steam key https://store.eu.square-enix.com/emea_europe/games/pc-windows-download/FINAL-FANTASY-VII.php

I was looking at the Steam userscore for Saint Seiya which has 90%, fans seem to enjoy it.

Trails FC has 165K on steam, less than 10% who played it returned for SC yet.

In what world is that a good metric ? I mean, Neptunia games also have nice userscore (96%), doesn't make these great games at all.

As for Trails FC, it sure sold a lot more and also was released for cheaper, and had a lot more time to sell. FC released for 15 dollars when SC release for two times more.

jmga

Valve should talk with big japanese publishers and try to push Steam harder in Japan. Japanese games profitability relies only in western sales and that is a big handicap from the point of view of shareholders.

Blade30

Unconfirmed Member
I feel like Atlus is its own company inside of Sega, if that makes sense. We've seen lots of titles from "Sega Japan" on Steam, but not a single Atlus game. And the insider info specifically says Atlus, not Sega as a whole.
Edit: read it wrong, but the point still stands.

I get what you mean, but

AbkjURN.gif

is Atlus doing and why isn't Sega doing anything about it?

wazoo

Valve should talk with big japanese publishers and try to push Steam harder in Japan. Japanese games profitability relies only in western sales and that is a big handicap from the point of view of shareholders.

Valve is already doing that.

Another problem is the slow shift of Japan to digital.

Digital is a no risk system with no inventory cost. Japan executives have yet to grasp this.

gelf

The rights with Sega Japan with the west have gone on wayyyy longer than PC ports though. It's not a case of them being on board of not, it's that Sega Japan have always had this weird thing with western relations. Read about the Sega Technical Institute sometime. They were fighting with Sega Japan constantly to release games on Sega's own platforms.

Oh I know, I've followed Sega for a long time. It just seems worse then ever now, probably because western Sega is a shell these days and can't fight their ground like they used to.

Shepard

I get what you mean, but

AbkjURN.gi

Thats the point, I have no idea. They've already proven that the platform can be successful, given they charge a fair price, and making PC ports isn't nearly as expensive as the initial console release. I don't understand Japan's reluctance with PC.

Ascheroth

Isn't the SE version just a Steam key https://store.eu.square-enix.com/emea_europe/games/pc-windows-download/FINAL-FANTASY-VII.php

I was looking at the Steam userscore for Saint Seiya which has 90%, fans seem to enjoy it.

Trails FC has 165K on steam, less than 10% who played it returned for SC yet.

Well yeah, according to Steam achievements, only 10% actually finished FC as of yet. That alone limits the potential buyers for SC a lot, considering it's a direct sequel that pretty much requires you to finish FC.
And then it stealth released just a few weeks after Zestiria at double the price of FC etc etc.
I'm one of those who finished FC but hasn't bought it yet simply because I was busy with Zestiria when it came out.

Hasney

Oh I know, I've followed Sega for a long time. It just seems worse then ever now, probably because western Sega is a shell these days and can't fight their ground like they used to.

Yeah, that's true. Especially weird nowadays as Sega Europe seems bigger than America.

Ampsicora

I'm getting tired of those discussion about how much a game sell badly on Steam compared to console version of the same game.
Seems always console version sold like millions of copies when the truth is only AAA overhyped games sold that much.
People are always complaining about SC numbers on Steam when the first one on PSP wasn't better on retail terms. People are always complaining about "Tales of" numbers when basically on console did the same numbers of copies retail.
But hey, DD is also on console, probably they sold the same numbers of copies they did on retail or better, because we know console DD numbers are always better than retail, right?
I don't care if console did better than PC, I'm more interested if they did enough profit for keep porting games, and guess what, seems they did for now.
Any thread about PC sales or PC port is the same story.

PantsuJo

I'm getting tired of those discussion about how much a game sell badly on Steam compared to console version of the same game.
Seems always console version sold like millions of copies when the truth is only AAA overhyped games sold that much.
People are always complaining about SC numbers on Steam when the first one on PSP wasn't better on retail terms. People are always complaining about "Tales of" numbers when basically on console did the same numbers of copies retail.
But hey, DD is also on console, probably they sold the same numbers of copies they did on retail or better, because we know console DD numbers are always better than retail, right?
I don't care if console did better than PC, I'm more interested if they did enough profit for keep porting games, and guess what, seems they did for now.
Agree.

"How dare those publishers taking away my console's exclusive games to make more money from PC market!"

ezodagrom

In the same page that posted the rumours about high priority games to be ported for PC, they're saying that PSO2 hasn't been brought to the west because of an agreement.
That agreement, our source says, is between Sega of Japan and a Chinese company, and it allegedly prevents Sega from releasing the game onto Steam anywhere for an unknown period.
http://www.tssznews.com/2015/12/31/...ss-agreement-preventing-pso2-western-release/

I guess it makes sense, with how suddenly they went from announcing the game, showing it at PAX, followed by silence/delayed for an undetermined amount of time.

I get what you mean, but

AbkjURN.gif

A lot of Japanese executives have a "we're profitable in Japan and that's what we should focus on" approach and are super old, so its hard for some of them to see the value of going to a new, west only platform, even if they'll make money off of it.

Durante

Resonance of Fate on PC would make my year.

I can't see any scenario in which Vanquish, Bayonetta or Atlus games sell well enough to warrant the effort in porting them over to PC.
I have no idea what you think a PC port costs. I can see no scenario in which any of those doesn't make a profit.

In the same page that posted the rumours about high priority games to be ported for PC, they're saying that PSO2 hasn't been brought to the west because of an agreement.

http://www.tssznews.com/2015/12/31/...ss-agreement-preventing-pso2-western-release/

Huh, what does PSO2 has anything to do with a Chinese company?
I don't recall there's a Chinese server of the game online.

Here's my understanding why it's hard to localize PSO2, licences.
The game is heavily 'invested' with cross-overs with anime shows and other Japanese franchises, which lead to cross-over cash shop items like costumes, voices, etc. There's also a stage in-game for digital persona like Hatsune Miku and Kuna. It would take a lot of effort (and money) to buy those licenses, or else they'll have to gimp the western PSO2 without those 'main' feature of the game.

Grief.exe

3. DQHeroes is not a bad port, hear it runs smooth with 60fps so whining about TK is silly here. It didn't sell well because launching niche games at $59.99 is a bad idea, most other ports come with budget prices that recent games can't launch at cuz duh they're new and who also didn't have time to make name for themselves like for example VC's word of mouth. Saint Seiya: Soldiers' Soul is another excellent recent game that bombed spectacularly on steam, price: $49.99. So unless you aren't a popular rpg like Tales or a popular shonen anime game like Naruto or OP, launching full price might not be smart. Hell, Trails is like mad popular here but its sequel bombed hard. I thought many would be loyal and buy it at $30 considering how everyone raves about it, the cliffhanger ending but seems like most are waiting for $10 sales.

2. DQ Heroes isn't a bad port at all, but it basically got stealth released so 2 months after the PS4 release (which also sold bad in West), at full price. As for Saint Seiya, in what world is this an excellent game ? http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/saint-seiya-soldiers-soul Not only that, but Saint Seiya games by DIMPS all have been pretty much mediocre to bad. It's not only about popular, it's about being good.
As for Trails, it's not "mad popular" at all lol. I mean, it sure has a nice following on GAF, but that's pretty much it. Trails didn't sold well either on PSP in West, which is why SC was unlikely to come. And you can bet SC didn't sold well either on PSP/Vita in West. It's a 30 dollars really niche game, which is why XSeed isn't worried that much. The game will find its public but you need to give it some time.

DQ Heroes is still locked to 1080p, which is a complete lack of foresight on a platform built around forwards compatibility.

Vanquish and Resistance of Fate would do well on steam.
For Vanquish at least, I'd buy my own copy plus a couple of gift or raffle copies. I love that game so much.

Also as far as Atlus is concerned, Code of Princess showed up in that SteamDB leak... So progress?

Durante

DQ Heroes is still locked to 1080p, which is a complete lack of foresight on a platform built around forwards compatibility.
It's not even "forwards" compatibility anymore, and hasn't been for a while. I've been using a 1440p screen since 2012 now. (Not even getting into dowsampling)

Grief.exe

It's not even "forwards" compatibility anymore, and hasn't been for a while. I've been using a 1440p screen since 2012 now. (Not even getting into dowsampling)

I'm using a 1440p monitor as well, but we are still in the minority. The way the premium monitor and television industries are moving, you would have a difficult time arguing against a significant percentage moving away from 1080p in the coming years.

epmode

This is the most frustrating oversight with modern ports. PC games have been supporting arbitrary resolutions for well over a decade. It doesn't require much testing and no additional art is necessary. I can see Koei not realizing this after their first garbage port but continuing to fuck up in the same way is willfull ignorance.

I would love for Atlus games to come to PC. They're the one Japanese developer that I personally care about which doesn't have a meaningful presence on the platform.

I actually own an Atlus-published game on PC. http://store.steampowered.com/news/9453/
It has since been delisted.

But yeah, first-party Atlus games would make bank on PC. There's not a doubt in my mind.

ezodagrom

The game is heavily 'invested' with cross-overs with anime shows and other Japanese franchises, which lead to cross-over cash shop items like costumes, voices, etc. There's also a stage in-game for digital persona like Hatsune Miku and Kuna. It would take a lot of effort (and money) to buy those licenses, or else they'll have to gimp the western PSO2 without those 'main' feature of the game.
The crossovers didn't stop the Asiasoft and Gamania versions though.

No idea if there's any truth to the article, of course. TSSZ posted nonsense in the past after all (Sonic Dimensions).

TimmiT

I actually own an Atlus-published game on PC. http://store.steampowered.com/news/9453/
It has since been delisted.

Atlus USA has no problem with releasing games on PC, they've published various indie games before: http://store.steampowered.com/search/?publisher=ATLUS

The problem is with Atlus Japan's games.

Huh, what does PSO2 has anything to do with a Chinese company?
I don't recall there's a Chinese server of the game online.

They handled the game's release in Taiwan. Steam apparently takes a cut from in-game microtransactions, so that could be a reason why they wouldn't want it to be release on Steam in their territory. I don't see why they wouldn't want it to be release on Steam anywhere at all though.

The anime stuff could be a reason why it hasn't been localized, though they could strip that stuff out of the game. Sega does seem to have the license to put Hatsune Miku and Dengeki stuff in their games in the west though, so there's that at least.

pislit

Have you been to the FFIX PC announcement thread? People are claiming there that the game in 60fps will ruin it. Like wtf is wrong with these people, it's like they are physically hurting when a known console exclusive titles get ported to pc.

The crossovers didn't stop the Asiasoft and Gamania versions though.

No idea if there's any truth to the article, of course. TSSZ posted nonsense in the past after all (Sonic Dimensions).

They handled the game's release in Taiwan. Steam apparently takes a cut from in-game microtransactions, so that could be a reason why they wouldn't want it to be release on Steam in their territory. I don't see why they wouldn't want it to be release on Steam anywhere at all though.

The anime stuff could be a reason why it hasn't been localized, though they could strip that stuff out of the game. Sega does seem to have the license to put Hatsune Miku and Dengeki stuff in their games in the west though, so there's that at least.

Wow, I had no idea that a Taiwan version exist.
If that's the problem, why don't they just release a non-steam version? Most mmos aren't too dependant on steam anyway. Lots of them even have their own client/launcher, like Battle.net, Aeria Ignite, Trion's Glyph, Perfect World, etc.

pahamrick

Have you been to the FFIX PC announcement thread? People are claiming there that the game in 60fps will ruin it. Like wtf is wrong with these people, it's like they are physically hurting when a known console exclusive titles get ported to pc.

People are weird. Its the same with wanting to play certain games with controllers and people freak out about that. Sure, the optimal control method may be KB&M for that particular game, but some people want controller support not because they're being picky but because controllers may be their only way to play, or playing with a controller may simply be easier do to various physical / health reasons.

Isn't the engine that runs Metal Gear Rising a modified version of the Bayonetta and Vanquish engine? If so, the thing pretty much already runs on a PC, and even if it didn't the existence of the Xbox 360 version of those games would facilitate a very easy port to PC D3D9. There are very few technical reasons that would make a port difficult for either SEGA, Platinum or a dedicated porting house. The real obstacle for these ports is legal and managerial problems.

Grief.exe

Isn't the engine that runs Metal Gear Rising a modified version of the Bayonetta and Vanquish engine? If so, the thing pretty much already runs on a PC, and even if it didn't the existence of the Xbox 360 version of those games would facilitate a very easy port to PC D3D9. There are very few technical reasons that would make a port difficult for either SEGA, Platinum or a dedicated porting house. The real obstacle for these ports is legal and managerial problems.

There are pictures of Kamiya playing Bayonetta on PC during development.

As for Bayonetta, we are not entirely sure what limitations are placed on the IP by the Nintendo contract, Vanquish may be considered too risky for a PC/PS4/XBO remaster considering just how risk-adverse some of these Japanese companies have become.

Has any other recent major Japanese port sold well on PC, other than VC?

VC is a strategy/tactical game, which I feel is why it has a dedicated fanbase on PC, since the strategy genre thrives on PC.

Other than that, those FF13 ports have been mediocre sales-wise and Dragon Quest Heroes sold terribly.

I can't see any scenario in which Vanquish, Bayonetta or Atlus games sell well enough to warrant the effort in porting them over to PC.

With this much cherry picking I thought I was in an orchard for a minute.

As for Bayonetta, we are not entirely sure what limitations are placed on the IP by the Nintendo contract, Vanquish may be considered too risky for a PC/PS4/XBO remaster considering just how risk-adverse some of these Japanese companies have become.

Yeah, for Bayonetta 1 coming to PC (or anything for that matter) the Nintendo factor is the thing I am worried about most, more than either Platinum, Sega or technical issues. Hard to say what the relationship between all these entities is now given the obscurities of intellectual property law.

Decado

The projected profits for porting bayonetta would have to be very high to make it worthwhile for sega since they won't be making more games in the franchise.

Buburibon

Has any other recent major Japanese port sold well on PC, other than VC?

VC is a strategy/tactical game, which I feel is why it has a dedicated fanbase on PC, since the strategy genre thrives on PC.

Other than that, those FF13 ports have been mediocre sales-wise and Dragon Quest Heroes sold terribly.

How about the scenario where bare minimum porting efforts costs them the equivalent of a couple dozen thousand dollars (at the most), and a profit after Valve's 30% cut and other operating costs that is in the few hundred thousand? If you do the math for the ~18K copies of DQH sold on Steam to date you'll find out that while it doesn't cover global development and marketing costs, it's still an amazing investment from an economics perspective. In fact, I challenge you to find examples of fairly low risk investment opportunities in any industry that could deliver that kind of return in such a short period of time in today's economy. I mean, I'm not really challenging you, and I'm sure you can see that these ports most definitely do "warrant the effort in porting them over to PC." :)

A couple of my friends online and I chat every once in a while (usually after PC announcements of console games) about how much we think they stand to profit and just how much it actually costs to port said games. We also like to chat about marketing and the whole thought process that goes behind planning release dates.

I find it really interesting, although it's all purely speculation on our parts and we have no real knowledge on the matter.

I would LOVE to know just how well or poorly some of these ports have done recently.

Time is ticking for Japanese companies to act on these ports. Once PS3/360 emulation catches up within the next 2-3 years, no one is gonna give a shit even if they release the games then.

gelf

A couple of my friends online and I chat every once in a while (usually after PC announcements of console games) about how much we think they stand to profit and just how much it actually costs to port said games. We also like to chat about marketing and the whole thought process that goes behind planning release dates.

I find it really interesting, although it's all purely speculation on our parts and we have no real knowledge on the matter.

I would LOVE to know just how well or poorly some of these ports have done recently.

Yeah I would like to see any data at all on porting costs vs revenue. I only see random speculation. I want to know why Sega seemed to get cold feet and slow down after porting the Dreamcast collection and then likes of Jet Set Radio and Nights. Was it financial, the random whim of someone who worked there or what.

Time is ticking for Japanese companies to act on these ports. Once PS3/360 emulation catches up within the next 2-3 years, no one is gonna give a shit even if they release the games then.
But I want some original Xbox games most of all and that still not emulated :(

Mifec

link please, I need to see this.

celsowmbr

Banned

http://steamspy.com/dev/SEGA

Examples:

Valkyria Chronicles - Owners: 582,348

http://steamspy.com/app/294860

Sonic Adventure DX - Owners: 409,427

http://steamspy.com/app/71250

orochi91

I get what you mean, but

AbkjURN.gif

I recall when Sega took in Atlus, Sega said something along the lines of "Atlus will continue to do what it does". They've basically granted some sort of autonomy to Atlus, despite now being branch within Sega.

Their reluctance to releasing on PC might have to do with the domestic Japanese PC crowd, which is probably non-existent outside of Hentai games, lol

With this much cherry picking I thought I was in an orchard for a minute.

How about the scenario where bare minimum porting efforts costs them the equivalent of a couple dozen thousand dollars (at the most), and a profit after Valve's 30% cut and other operating costs that is in the few hundred thousand? If you do the math for the ~18K copies of DQH sold on Steam to date you'll find out that while it doesn't cover global development and marketing costs, it's still an amazing investment from an economics perspective. In fact, I challenge you to find examples of fairly low risk investment opportunities in any industry that could deliver that kind of return in such a short period of time in today's economy. I mean, I'm not really challenging you, and I'm sure you can see that these ports most definitely do "warrant the effort in porting them over to PC." :)

I have no idea what you think a PC port costs. I can see no scenario in which any of those doesn't make a profit.

Posts 2201 till 2225 have already covered this in detail.

Keep up.

Momentary

Banned
Also Dragon Quest works like crap from me (GTX 980M). There's so many issues with the game that haven't even been addressed. It's not a good port and Koei Tecmo deserve more heat for it.

I don't understand what is the deal with these defenders of KT. That company is straight booty juice when it comes to PC ports.

DQ Heroes is a garbage port.

Audio Sync issues, No full screen, Tearing issues, Strange gradual frame rate drops into unplayable territories for no damn reason.

The port is so bad that the usual KT defense brigade can't squeeze an 80% user review on this one.

Top Bottom