• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega PC ports campaign continues with petition (Vanquish, Bayonetta, VF5)

Shadoken

CpBzIkSUAAAIopB.jpg

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/761235529610305536

Woops. Guess I should have posted that Vanquish info here.

But I think it might be this year's Sega PC port.

Nzyme32

OMFG

Windows 10 exclusive

Well no, it probably isn't. It helps to actually read the context that read selective snippets.

THE FUTURE OF PLATINUM GAMES

KOTAKU: It’s long been that the Japanese games industry has been centered around consoles. But you’ve just mentioned how you are interested in releasing titles on PC. Do you think the Japanese game industry has changed regarding PC?

INABA: Perhaps. But to be honest, we’re good friends with Valve and often go to their studio. We go there, hang out, talk about many different things, and we are very interested in Steam and would definitely like to release games on Windows. Right now, we’re at a place in which publishers ask us to make titles. So, if the publisher doesn’t want to release a PC version, then there won’t be a PC version. It really comes down to that.

AARON: Is there any possibility that Vanquish will get a PC version?

KOTAKU: It would be a good idea to release Vanquish on PC.

INABA: (smiling) Hrm. I wonder... If you stop recording, I can talk about that. (laughs)

KOTAKU: Platinum Games is very much a global game studio. If you compare Platinum to, say, your typical Japanese studio, Platinum seems very different.

INABA: Thank you very much.

KOTAKU: Like, in Japan, there really aren’t that many game companies that say they want to make PC versions.

INABA: That certainly seems to be true. I think the reason for that is that in Japan, the PC versions don’t sell much. Outside Japan, they do, but within the country, they do not. But, if you look aboard, everyone is playing on the PC. It’s something you cannot ignore.

KOTAKU: So, do you think because Platinum Games has had the opportunity to hang out at Valve that there has been some kind of influence?

INABA: Well, when we go to Valve, they’re always showing us new things, such as Steam VR while it was still in development. It was quite impressive.

KOTAKU: So for you, someone who has wanted to make games since he was a child, what do you think of mobile games?

INABA: Since I want to make [game] software, I think even smartphones are a wonderful platform. I’d like to make things that run on it. However, I think it’s a platform that is still being worked out. I think after a number of years, as a platform it will come into its own.
I think increasingly it will become such that only the very best stuff survives and the stuff that isn’t quite up to snuff will die off....We’re definitely interested in mobile. We also think if you put games out on Steam and whatnot, you can do interesting things. We’d like to do that.

Bayonetta, Vanquish, and VF5 would all be incredible.

Also, is there any chance Platinum could get Bayo2 back from Nintendo or do they have it locked down?

thelastword

Banned
Bayonetta, Vanquish, and VF5 would all be incredible.

Also, is there any chance Platinum could get Bayo2 back from Nintendo or do they have it locked down?
Bayo 1 is better anyway, if they get Bayo 1 on PC and next gen consoles with some enhancements I think that will be more than enough. That game had so much replay value, so whoever wants to play Bayo2 could just get a WiiU2 cheaply or wait for some deal to be cut with Nintendo and Sega to allow the title on other platforms.

poodaddy

Fuck VF5 - I want VF4: Evo

Here's a fucking good gaffer folks. This gentleman obviously knows his shit. VF4 is THE fighting game. If they want money thrown at them they should release both 4 and 5 in a bundle on Steam. Make a bigger bundle that also includes Vanquish and some Yakuza games and Ill email Sega my account and routing numbers.

David___

Banned
I mean, wasn't Sony putting money into SFV?
Sure it's Nintendo and they're averse to this sort of thing, but there's no real legal reason it couldn't show up on PC is there?

If for some reason Nintendo wants to port it and publish it for PC, they can. In the end its up to Nintendo.

Sure it's Nintendo and they're averse to this sort of thing, but there's no real legal reason it couldn't show up on PC is there?
Sony has not considered the PC to be a direct competitor for whatever reason. They're perfectly fine with letting games, especially indies, be on PC as long as PS4 is the only console on which they're available.

My guess is that the deal they struck with Capcom specified console exclusivity, not overall exclusivity.

To put it into perspective, Helldivers is a Sony published game and it's currently available on Steam.

Nintendo on the other hand, probably straight up wanted the game to be an exclusive for their platform in exchange for the funding. It's even possible that they might have the publishing rights for the now though that's not confirmed.

Bayo 1 is better anyway, if they get Bayo 1 on PC and next gen consoles with some enhancements I think that will be more than enough. That game had so much replay value, so whoever wants to play Bayo2 could just get a WiiU2 cheaply or wait for some deal to be cut with Nintendo and Sega to allow the title on other platforms.
This. If Bayo 1 came to PC, it would be my fourth time buying the game (I re-bought the 360 version because I was too impatient to wait for a friend to return my original copy to me). However, I probably wouldn't bother buying a port of Bayo 2 despite the fact that it's a great game and I bought my Wii U for it in the first place. The combat is just lacking compared to the original and just doesn't pull me back in the same way.

Besides, Nintendo would ever allow it.

gelf

I'd only want VF4 Final Tuned if it came with all the features of Evo. A direct arcade port of FT without Evo's godly Quest mode would be disappointing. That's probably too much work for a port so just porting Evo is more realistic.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
VF5FS is my favorite VF from a gameplay perspective. I feel it merges the freedom of movement from VF3 (with some compromises) with the "checks&balances" mechanics of VF4FT (with some compromises). I've made a lot of good friends through VF5FS, and while I can happily play VF4 and genuinely admire what that game is, I feel that Final Showdown is more a part of my "VF story" than 4Evo is.

On top of that
  • newer game
  • already has online
  • has more characters
  • looks prettier

I would buy VF4EVO or FT and gift as many copies as I could afford if it came to Steam (hear me, SEGA?), however if given the choice between the two I would choose Final Showdown over it.

Tizoc

VF5FS is my favorite VF from a gameplay perspective. I feel it merges the freedom of movement from VF3 (with some compromises) with the "checks&balances" mechanics of VF4FT (with some compromises). I've made a lot of good friends through VF5FS, and while I can happily play VF4 and genuinely admire what that game is, I feel that Final Showdown is more a part of my "VF story" than 4Evo is.

On top of that
  • newer game
  • already has online
  • has more characters
  • looks prettier

I would buy VF4EVO or FT and gift as many copies as I could afford if it came to Steam (hear me, SEGA?), however if given the choice between the two I would choose Final Showdown over it.

Gotta think bigger brah
Let Steam be the great preserver of the Virtua Fighter Legacy
VF Collection Vol. 1: V. Fighter 1+2+Kids
VF Collection Vol. 2: VF3+4
VF5

THE WORLD MUST KNOW THE EVOLUTION OF THE KAGEMARU-RYU OUGI HISSATSU-WAZA: JIGOKU GURUMA!

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Gotta think bigger brah
Let Steam be the great preserver of the Virtua Fighter Legacy
VF Collection Vol. 1: V. Fighter 1+2+Kids
VF Collection Vol. 2: VF3+4
VF5

THE WORLD MUST KNOW THE EVOLUTION OF THE KAGEMARU-RYU OUGI HISSATSU-WAZA: JIGOKU GURUMA!

It is absolutely fucking ridiculous that this series has been abandoned on legacy consoles. VF1 never left 32X/SAT. VF2 is stuck on 360. VF3 is stuck on Dreamcast. VF4 is stuck on PS2. VF5 is stuck on 360.

Absolutely ridiculous considering it is objectively a successful IP.

Can we get that PC port of Panzer Dragoon Saga that the old Gamersgate (no relation) storefront apparently had? We're going to end up forgetting that thing exists if we don't hassle Sega to put it out.

Brhoom

Banned

SFV was gonna be made even if Sony didn't put money into it, and I'm not gonna believe that one of Capcom's best selling franchise was gonna be shelved until Sony came and helped them.

And even if they really needed help, it's not like Sony was the only one willing to invest, but with Bayonetta 2 it was a case of no one wanting to put money in the project and Nintendo came and helped.

therapist

Here's a fucking good gaffer folks. This gentleman obviously knows his shit. VF4 is THE fighting game. If they want money thrown at them they should release both 4 and 5 in a bundle on Steam. Make a bigger bundle that also includes Vanquish and some Yakuza games and Ill email Sega my account and routing numbers.

I would throw down 60$ easy for VF4/5 bundle on steam.
best fighting games imo

Can we get that PC port of Panzer Dragoon Saga that the old Gamersgate (no relation) storefront apparently had? We're going to end up forgetting that thing exists if we don't hassle Sega to put it out.

wtf that is weird that out of all places a rare game like that appears on gamersgate instead of steam and gog.

Grief.exe

So this is basically a year now since they teased new PC ports.

What's going on?

Sega is fairly risk adverse at this point, they obviously put small teams on these projects.

As far as things like Vanquish and Bayonetta are concerned, have to wait for Platinum's schedule to free up some room.

TimmiT

So this is basically a year now since they teased new PC ports.

What's going on?

Pretty sure that they teased more PC ports earlier this year in a Sega Central video. Aside from that, I dunno.

EDIT: Checked and on May 4th they teased that more Dreamcast games are coming to Steam: https://youtu.be/FdyAgPDe9rI?t=37s

Also, it was mentioned earlier in this thread but on May 18th they said that they're working on PC port projects: https://youtu.be/AMqTghgwtyA?t=1m21s

gelf

Yeah I was disappointed to find out it runs poorly in pcsx2, so a PC port would be quite welcome.
I'm always checking PCSX2 every few months just to see if VF4:Evo works any better.

My own PC port prioritys would be those that aren't emulated or are emulated poorly so VF4:Evo is just behind the original Xbox exclusives on that count. Last gen ports I'm less concerned about.

I thought it was GameTap that had the source code (this part might be inaccurate, could've just been some specific emulation-software) for it somehow and were going to re-release it?

Top Bottom