• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega PC ports campaign continues with petition (Vanquish, Bayonetta, VF5)

Zia

I believe Sega Europe really try their hardest to please. Their strategy developer acquisitions have been just about perfect, we wouldn't have the revamped Genesis hub or Dreamcast collection on Steam without them, they worked out some great free and paid DLC for the last Sonic racing game.

That said, it really cannot take this long. Assuming they have multiple projects in the works, and a laundry list of ports they'd like to get to, there's no fucking way that there hasn't been movement on an unSonic port at least since Valkyria Chronicles launched two years ago. Come on, guys, throw us a bone.

Tizoc

I'm curious about the speed at which Ghostlight gets PS360 era games ported onto Steam so fast. This year they had what 2-3 releases so far? Do SEGA games have some kind of unique coding or some such?

The NDA they're under is Ninty NX level.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
I believe Sega Europe really try their hardest to please. Their strategy developer acquisitions have been just about perfect, we wouldn't have the revamped Genesis hub or Dreamcast collection on Steam without them, they worked out some great free and paid DLC for the last Sonic racing game.

That said, it really cannot take this long. Assuming they have multiple projects in the works, and a laundry list of ports they'd like to get to, there's no fucking way that there hasn't been movement on an unSonic port at least since Valkyria Chronicles launched two years ago. Come on, guys, throw us a bone.

It's fucking ridiculous and makes being a fan of SEGA (their IPs, not the company) VERY frustrating. For fuck's sake guys, just tell us what you're working on. Making everyone wait only to be letdown with Sonic Lost World is unacceptable.

Nyoro SF

I'm curious about the speed at which Ghostlight gets PS360 era games ported onto Steam so fast. This year they had what 2-3 releases so far? Do SEGA games have some kind of unique coding or some such?

I don't think it's so much of NDA as much as these projects are helmed by very small teams, which means leaks or such is just way less likely. That and they probably don't want to promise something when they're not sure when it will be done. If you notice most PC ports are finished and then announced, then released a week later, they're very fast affairs that try to keep the investment low and the budget impact minimal.

For your first question, there can be a huge amount of differences between ways games are programmed, and I think Ghostlight wisely chose games that are not incredibly technical on the gameplay or graphics side.

Sega Europe just talked a bit about PC ports on a live stream. They have a "whole list of titles they'll have to give the PC port treatment" and are currently working on some projects that they'll be able to talk about soon. Reason they're taking so long is because they want to make sure quality is retained and that the game is optimized for PC.

They also said they won't be able to port all of the games that people are asking for, but are working very hard to give us "at least some of the things [we've] been asking for".
I'm glad they're saying this. No need for rushed ports.

Tizoc

This is your last chance Sega.

Oh hush you know it'll be a Platinum triple pack of Bayo, Anarchy Reigns and Vanquish.
...and even if it isn't you're still gonna be wanting their next PC release.
I've seen it all before. Dinoman II's been through more than you know little one.

Oh hush you know it'll be a Platinum triple pack of Bayo, Anarchy Reigns and Vanquish.
...and even if it isn't you're still gonna be wanting their next PC release.
I've seen it all before. Dinoman II's been through more than you know little one.

...you're right :"")

Grief.exe

It's fucking ridiculous and makes being a fan of SEGA (their IPs, not the company) VERY frustrating. For fuck's sake guys, just tell us what you're working on. Making everyone wait only to be letdown with Sonic Lost World is unacceptable.

Sean opened his mouth with No Man's Sky and you see what happened there.

It is good business practice for companies to keep their mouths shut on ongoing projects until everything is nearly 100% confirmed.

"Asking" you say, SEGA?

Well, we've been "asking" for Bayo / Vanquish / VF4: FT & 5:FS / Shenmue 1 & 2 HD / Skies of Arcadia HD / Otogi 1 & 2 HD / Panzer Dragoon, II, Saga & Orta HD / Persona HD and Yakuza collection, for not just PC, but for every currentgen platform (PC/PS4/X1 & NX). The ONLY game I can't see happening in this list is Bayo 2.

I'll drop money on those, on each of those platforms on a personal commitment myself, and I'm pretty sure I'm a part of a group who are in millions.

See the Valkyria numbers on all platforms, the number of "MINUTES" it took Shenmue III KS to achieve it's goal, among many other things and realize the thirst for your games is FUCKING REAL. YOU'RE SITTING ON A FUCKING GOLDMINE, FFS.

McNum

Hybrid version would be better. I'd rather not have the Gamecube's versions soundtrack.
Ideally, it should be something you could choose. Having the Legends bonus content would be nice, though, some of those bosses were awesome, if frustrating, battles.

I do find it somewhat funny that Vyse is in two games on PC right now, but neither of them are Skies of Arcadia. Come on, let him have his own game, too.

gelf

I'm just happy they've actually even mentioned ports again. Even if in reality it's just one guy in the office working on them in his spare time.

oneida

Sean opened his mouth with No Man's Sky and you see what happened there.

It is good business practice for companies to keep their mouths shut on ongoing projects until everything is nearly 100% confirmed.

Our expectations are merely that the games we care about are available on modern platforms, I'm not sure the NMS example really applies here. Or maybe it does and I'm just frustrated, I don't know.

oneida

I just want to either revisit Skies of Arcadia, or have a new game that uses all of it's mechanics.

Skies really is a beautiful game. I'm playing it on Dreamcast via VGA and I'm very happy with how it looks, but would buy a PC port if it were announced.

Grief.exe

Our expectations are merely that the games we care about are available on modern platforms, I'm not sure the NMS example really applies here. Or maybe it does and I'm just frustrated, I don't know.

Why? They recently updated their classic library on Steam, frequently say more ports are coming, and are actually one of the largest publishers of exclusive PC games.

These things take time. Something to keep in mind is that even though these releases are profitable, they are a drop in the bucket. Which is why you see limited resources devoted to ports.

I'm just surprised Sega hasn't released their old PC back-library on steam. I'd buy about 95% of the following:

Virtua Fighter 1 and 2
House of the Dead 1,2, and 3
Typing of the Dead
Bug
Virtua on
Sonic R
Virtua Cop 1 and 2 (called Virtua Squad)
Panzer Dragoon
Baku Baku
SEGA Rally
Manx TT
Daytona USA
Sonic Heroes
Sega GT
Sonic 3D blast (not the Genesis one, the Saturn port)
Sega Touring Car Championship
Last Bronx
Phantasy Star Online
Phantasy Star Universe
Tomcat Alley

Amongst any others I might have missed. Maybe I don't get it business wise, Sega Ports-GAF, but shouldn't bring these titles over and updating them for newer OSs be a lot easier than completely porting a game over from another system?

Nillansan

They also said they won't be able to port all of the games that people are asking for, but are working very hard to give us "at least some of the things [we've] been asking for".

I really hope that they aren't referring to the Yakuza games in terms of games they are unable to port to PC.

PantsuJo

It would be awesome a port from OG Xbox: PD Orta, Gunvalkyrie or other SEGA games.
Xbox was an x86 computer so it would be really easy porting on PC, I think.

I'm dreaming, I know... :(

gelf

I'm just surprised Sega hasn't released their old PC back-library on steam. I'd buy about 95% of the following:

Virtua Fighter 1 and 2
House of the Dead 1,2, and 3
Typing of the Dead
Bug
Virtua on
Sonic R
Virtua Cop 1 and 2 (called Virtua Squad)
Panzer Dragoon
Baku Baku
SEGA Rally
Manx TT
Daytona USA
Sonic Heroes
Sega GT
Sonic 3D blast (not the Genesis one, the Saturn port)
Sega Touring Car Championship
Last Bronx
Phantasy Star Online
Phantasy Star Universe
Tomcat Alley

Amongst any others I might have missed. Maybe I don't get it business wise, Sega Ports-GAF, but shouldn't bring these titles over and updating them for newer OSs be a lot easier than completely porting a game over from another system?

Some of those may not be a good idea because they are inferior to the original arcade versions and could get a backlash. But still I could definitely get behind patching up and re-releasing some of them e.g. the Saturn ports not based on an arcade game.

Another option for quicker releases surely must be emulation. The MD collection shows they're not adverse to packaging an emulator with ROMs and a lot of classic games are well emulated at this point. Why not aquire emulators and sell classic arcade, Master System and Game Gear stuff as well.

They could throw out these more basic ports in the long downtime between those that need more time and attention. Keep the momentum going better.

All this talk about Dreamcast games ( which is great)...if Sega were to release arcade or saturn collections on steam what would you like to see in them? say 10 game collections.

oneida

All this talk about Dreamcast games ( which is great)...if Sega were to release arcade or saturn collections on steam what would you like to see in them? say 10 game collections.
arcade:
OutRun 2
Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown
Planet Harriers
Initial D 8th Stage

gelf

Sell them separately and offer discounts for collections. I feel your being too optimistic for entire Saturn collections though. Arcade collections though could be possible with licenced emulators.

Tizoc

Doesn't Nintendo own the rights to Bayo now?

I'm still signing cause I want all this stuff. I'm just asking a legit question.

Take it from us SteamGAF folk:
We don't give a fuck
Toss Bayo 1 and 2 on Steam and Ninty can have a share of the profits for all we care.

Brenal

I would prefer they released their ogxbox games, jsrf and panzer dragoon orta , the only way to play them is with original hardware as emulation is non existant

gelf

I would prefer they released their ogxbox games, jsrf and panzer dragoon orta , the only way to play them is with original hardware as emulation is non existant

That's the reason they are my first preference also. Though I doubt they will be the next ones we get.

Top Bottom