• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SEGA Sammy acquires Index (Atlus) for 14 billion yen, now a subsidiary of Sega

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
So gist of it is that they've made a new department of SEGA for Atlus, called SEGA Dream Company, which is owned by SEGA Sammy. However, they said in the press release that they're interested in Arlus's mobile and home console IPs and plans, so that's good.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Boom. Sega Sammy as well. Not Sega.

It's a subsidiary of Sega:

Notice is hereby given that SEGA DREAM CORPORATION, which was newly established as a wholly owned subsidiary by SEGA CORPORATION (“SEGA”), a subsidiary of SEGA SAMMY HOLDINGS INC. (the “Company”), has concluded a business transfer agreement with Index Corporation (“Index”) for the purpose of revitalization of the business.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
I was very pleased when Sega bought Relic. Not so pleased now, but let's wait and see. At least Sega brought Fantasy Star Online 2 to the we...oh right....

Squire

Banned
It's a subsidiary of Sega:

Notice is hereby given that SEGA DREAM CORPORATION, which was newly established as a wholly owned subsidiary by SEGA CORPORATION (“SEGA”), a subsidiary of SEGA SAMMY HOLDINGS INC. (the “Company”), has concluded a business transfer agreement with Index Corporation (“Index”) for the purpose of revitalization of the business.

That's my question: Is that their name now? Index is Sega Dream?

Meia

So gist of it is that they've made a new department of SEGA for Atlus, called SEGA Dream Company, which is owned by SEGA Sammy. However, they said in the press release that they're interested in Arlus's mobile and home console IPs and plans, so that's good.

It they're not going to be "Atlus" in name anymore, I'd actually consider that bad news #1 about this whole thing, with more incoming...

jackal27

Banned
It they're not going to be "Atlus" in name anymore, I'd actually consider that bad news #1 about this whole thing, with more incoming...

Wait, THAT'S what that means? Good Lord... I never thought video games could cause me this much anxiety.

Pooya

relevant bits, purpose of acquisition

1mlqgy.png

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!

Yeah, they mentioned both mobile phones achivements and the track racord in the home video game market, listing franchises such as Megami Tensei, Persona and Etrian Odyssey

Wouldn't be surprised if they just use "Sega Alus" for those games. Keeps some level of familiartity there whilst also clearly being linked to Sega.

Here's hoping their worldwide distribution is more efficient than Atlus (who basically had zero cares for Europe). And of course, they don't blitz everything on mobile games like Capcom and Square.

jackal27

Banned
Yeah, because Atlus 3DS games sell bad, so SEGA will change that.
I can't understand posts like this XD

Atlus games don't need to sell "bad" in order to not be worth the trouble to Sega. There's a vast difference in the amount of money a game needs to generate to be profitable to Atlus and the amount it needs to profitable to a company like Sega.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
30k is bad for Sega.
I bet their PSP games sold 30k, and look what happened to those.

They brought titles like Hatsune Miku over here, and that's probably not so much bigger than Etrian Odyssey, if at all. Too much pessimism, IMHO.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Wouldn't be surprised if they just use "Sega Alus" for those games. Keeps some level of familiartity there whilst also clearly being linked to Sega.

Here's hoping their worldwide distribution is more efficient than Atlus (who basically had zero cares for Europe). And of course, they don't blitz everything on mobile games like Capcom and Square.
I think SEGA is interested in their mobile game department, but I think home console games should be safe since SEGA also states that as part of the interest. Also SEGA typically focuses on a variety of platforms more than many other companies, so can't see them going mobile only.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom