• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SEGA Sammy acquires Index (Atlus) for 14 billion yen, now a subsidiary of Sega

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sega has done well with letting its PC franchises flourish.

Ideally they'll just own Atlus from afar and let them have complete creative control like usual.

I'm hopeful this relationship will end up benefiting us as consumers. This is one situation where I'll stay cautiously optimistic for the time being.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
That article was in the magazine about 2 months ago.

I'm just glad it wasn't Nintendo that grabbed them, not that they would.

what would nintendo do? let them do what they always do, like how they've been doing with monolithsoft?

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Sega got money like that? Oh snap!

This could be quite interesting. Do we see Virtua Fighter crossing over into other arenas? Sonic melding into the world of Shin Megami Tensei? The questions that can be asked here...

Not so much Sega, but Sammy does.

Delio

tumblr_m1z6m682RC1r5lqojo1_500.gif

Not feeling this at all. I just hope things get localized still...ugh i really hope they do.

I guess SMT X Fire Emblem is safe then?

I mean, Sega and Nintendo already do crossovers. So I guess Sammy's alright with them even if Atlus will be kept separate from Sega.

Mario and Sonic and Persona at the Olympic Winter Games? :p

Sega Sammy's a good safe choice IMO, plus they distributed their games for many years IIRC.

VariantX

I'm worried. When it comes to localizations, sega right now does not instill confidence. All they want to do is bring sonic games to the west snd nothing else.

Usobuko

Banned
Good way to install confidence when neither Yakuza 5, Phantasy Star Online 2 is coming over. Not to mention, Atlus bring over a lot of third party niche game like Dragon Crown,

Daingurse

Atlus USA better not go anywhere, they can localize Yakuza games now.

....................I hope

Like the optimist in me hopes Sega would offload the burden of localization to Atlus, they after all have a lot of experience at it. Then I might get to play PSO2 in english sometime this decade.

This is great news. Considering the relationship of current Sega and NIntendo, we can now expect most of Atlus games to release on Nintendo platform *coughcough*Persona 5*coughcough*, not to mention the success of Ryu Ga Gotoku 1&2 HD For WiiU, this just seal the deal!

Totally. Not like they announced the new Ryu ga Gotoku for Sony or anyth... wait.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Also, please keep Atlus USA open and merge your section with them. They have a better understanding of how to appeal to their fanbase... oh who am I kidding? I hope they come out okay above all else, since Sega obviously doesn't need two American subsidiaries for game publishing and distrubution.

MechaX

Good way to install confidence when neither Yakuza 5, Phantasy Star Online 2 is coming over. Not to mention, Atlus bring over a lot of third party niche game like Dragon Crown,

At least there is a quasi-confirmation of Yakuza 5 not coming over.

PSO2 is just fucking missing in action and SEGA's not picking up their phones.

Takao

Banned
I could be wrong but I don't remember SEGA (I'm assuming SEGA Sammy is a subsidiary of SEGA?) having a good track record when it comes to localization.

Other way around, SEGA is a subsidiary of SEGA Sammy.

This is great news. Considering the relationship of current Sega and NIntendo, we can now expect most of Atlus games to release on Nintendo platform *coughcough*Persona 5*coughcough*, not to mention the success of Ryu Ga Gotoku 1&2 HD For WiiU, this just seal the deal!

lol

Ridley327

It all depends on whether or not Sega decides to keep Atlus USA operational.

If they do, we'll get localizations like usual.

When it comes to any kind of localization these days, my hopes are underneath the floor when Sega is involved. I am still astonished at how badly they have fucked PSO2.

Bullza2o

I guess SMT X Fire Emblem is safe then?

I mean, Sega and Nintendo already do crossovers. So I guess Sammy's alright with them even if Atlus will be kept separate from Sega.

I'm sure Sega and Nintendo are good buddies, so Nintendo Atlus games are still okay. As for localizations, I hope Nintendo can help publish like they are for Bayonetta 2. Imagine Persona 5 published by Nintendo in the west...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom