• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SEGA Sammy acquires Index (Atlus) for 14 billion yen, now a subsidiary of Sega

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeonZ

This is probably good for SMT x Fire Emblem... but it makes me fear for all of Atlus' other games. I won't be surprised if Devil Survivor 2 Break Record isn't localized...

I get that everyone's mad at Sega over Yakuza, but...aren't the costs for a Yakuza a bit greater than at least SMT and EO? Why is it assumed that localizations will completely disappear?

Not saying the pessimism isn't justified, I just kinda wish someone would explain it to me...

Wasn't that some random Russian actress basically copyright trolling?

Probably just a scapegoat. Sega wouldn't be able to handle all the bad PR right now.

t26

So is there any chance of them keeping both Sega USA and Atlus USA?

Edit: Sounds like a restructuring so there will be changes

I can only imagine this being bad, I'd love to be proven wrong though. The only positive is that maybe Atlus will be able to get their hands on the Shining/Force franchises and do something good with them.

Lunar15

Not sure why everyone's freaking out. Just because sega operates one way doesn't mean Atlus will now suddenly operate that way. Sega Sammy is a holdings corp. It doesn't necessarily mean that Atlus is just going to "become" Sega.

Wilsongt

Sega never brought the Shining PSP games to the US while Atlus brought even the most obscure niche titles.

RIP Atlus.

P.S. - Why the hell didn't Nintendo buy them, damn it!

Well, that's because the PSP was dead when those games came out.

What's more fucking criminal is that they didn't bring over Shining Force Feather. Arguably the best Shining game released since Sega began raping it. Atlus USA had done many of Flight Plan's games, but nope. Sega was being stupid.

mr2xxx

Banned
So we will get crappy games like Shin Megami Tensai: Wisdom, Tears, EXA, Soul, Wind, Darkness, Holy Ark but not a Persona sequel.

Tamanon

Banned
Of course there's going to be a restructuring of Index. The company itself bleeds money, but that doesn't mean anything bad for Atlus themselves.

Amir0x

Banned
I am trying my hardest to be optimistic here. Atlus is one of my favorite gaming companies. I guess I have to wait for details on the restructuring and what, if any, changes will happen in areas like localization >_<

This is torture :(

cafemomo

Gotta Hee-hoo fast!
ieiXY84vCooc2.gif

omg im crying. thank you seks

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Oh for christ's sake, they didn't do VC3 because the 2nd one dive bombed, deal with it

You got 5 goddamn Yakuza games when you really only deserved one after the sales that one got (I blame the dub for that though).

Shit, you got Dead Souls for crying out loud! The only thing you could maybe get mad about is Kenzan.

So that's TWO titles.

But no, Segata Sanshiro is going to fucking judo throw everyone at Atlus USA into oblivion because they only bought Atlus to make games for Japan :p

Actually I was just really upset about PSO2.

t26

Not sure why everyone's freaking out. Just because sega operates one way doesn't mean Atlus will now suddenly operate that way. Sega Sammy is a holdings corp. It doesn't necessarily mean that Atlus is just going to "become" Sega.

Well if there is a restructuring then it could end up like Tecmo Koei or Namco Bandai

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Well, shut down the lights people, the party over.

Chance of seeing any of Atlus games on the west again? Zero or near zero.

I just hope they don't cancel SMT4's scheduled reslease on Europe and we get that as a send off gift.

Beelzebubs

I'm optimistic about this. With Sega having a lot of success on PC and next gen being so similar architecturally I feel that great things could happen.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Sega Sammy wants Atlus to make some IOS/Smartphone games too.

According to the article.

I should probably be angry about that, but I've been playing SMT2 on my phone the last few days.

Actually I was just really upset about PSO2.

...Goddamnit darkside :p

They want them to make mobile games? Good! Atlus taking freaking forever to make games was getting old. They're not Irrational or Rockstar, dammit

But yeah, doom and gloom because Sega totally bites at these acquisitions lately :p

Limit

As long as Sega will continue to fund SMT games and its spinoffs I am fine with this outcome. Lack of localization and translation be damned. I'll learn Japanese if that is the only way I'll get to enjoy newer entries in SMT universe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom