• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega to cut 300 jobs (heavily arcade/pub staff), refocusing on digital/mobile/PC [Up]

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Sega logic ?

This is just a comment by the author, no? We do not know if Sonic Boom was a catastrophic failure financially, or if Alien Isolation was a huge sucess financially. Budgets and payments by Nintendo in the case of Boom could very well play a role here so that the weaker performing game did not lose Sega much money, whereas a well-selling Alien Isolation could have ended up less spectecular than sales might imply.

Chao

I know it's impossible, but I would love to see Nintendo buying Sega.

Tons of unused ips like Golden axe, Streets of rage, Shinobi, Shenmue, Nights, Panzer Dragoon, House of the dead, Beyond Oasis... And they could start making good Sonic games at last.

Fuck, it would be awesome. But they merged with Sammy didn't they? How would this work in an hypothetical situation?

Tak3n

Banned
might of been mentioned but the big clue here is the title

'online PC Games' and Mobile equals F2P games incoming

FluxWaveZ

Sony is absolutely not in the right shape to buy a 2000+ employees corporation.

Haha, if Atlus were 2,000+ people... Now that'd be something.

Yeah and they are are profitable wholly owned subsidary of SEGA...which itself is part of SEGA-Sammy holdings which is even bigger and eclipses (for example) Nintendo in sheer employee-count.

It's just not going to happen, Atlus is successfull in it's niche (on Sony and Nintendo systems) . You don't sell something that's doing well...and Sony can't (and won't try) to get everything.

Ah, I see what you're getting at. Though I assume whatever hypothetical scenario this came from would be if Sega were to sell Atlus by itself.

Atlus only has 121 employees according to the Wiki.
Yeah and they are are profitable wholly owned subsidary of SEGA...which itself is part of SEGA-Sammy holdings which is even bigger and eclipses (for example) Nintendo in sheer employee-count.

It's just not going to happen, Atlus is successfull in it's niche (on Sony and Nintendo systems) . You don't sell something that's doing well...and Sony can't (and won't try) to get everything.

EDIT: Ooops, I'm sorry, I could've sworn the poster I quoted said that Sony should buy SEGA as a whole, thats where I got the 2000 employees from.

Aki-at

They really do not like SEGA of America, they didn't even throw them a bone with their mobile games. Development staff seems to be mostly unaffected, but good luck to those who'll sadly lose their jobs.

What do SEGA have anyway..... Sonic, Yakuza, Miku and whatever the VC/SW/SoA team does.

Thats all I expect.

Atlus not included.

European Development Arm

The Creative Assembly - Just released Alien: Isolation, working on Attlia expansion for Rome II: Total War, Total War: Warhammer and Total War Arena.

Sports Interactive - Football Manager series

Hardlight - Mobile games and PC ports. Their Sonic Dash game had 65 million downloads.

American Development Arm

Three Rings - Developer of Spiral Knights, does a bunch of mobile games.

Relic Entertainment - Finished working on Company of Heroes and it's expansion, I suppose Dawn of War 3 is next?

They've got a pretty substantial Western division as far as development goes.

F2P and multiplayer gamers killed SEGA(will do others too and making them to move to F2P model and online only games slowly). Everybody expect more multiplayer oriented and won't pay $60 like before unless they receive 85+ reviews. Also the development cost has increased for new consoles so they have can't survive with like before. They have to go F2P online games now instead of $60 games as every average online games can turn profit but $40-60$ dollar can't without good sales.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
That would be horrible, all of Segas best titles are PC games.

If Sega ever was for sale and Nintendo was interested, I'm quite sure we'd be talking about their japanese development arm and console franchises such as Sonic, Monkey Ball, or Virtua Fighter. Sammy could sell this part of Sega if they decided on stopping console development, without it affecting their PC games all too much. I'm sure people asking for Nintendo to buy Sega do not mean everything, but the japanese console-Sega. I'd be quite fine with that by the way.

Peltz

crying-indian.gif

RIP my beloved Sega.

sueil

I hope this doesn't kill of CA and Relic. Article mentions Alien:I was a success but the latest Sonic garbage trashing all the profits from that.

They really do not like SEGA of America, they didn't even throw them a bone with their mobile games. Development staff seems to be mostly unaffected, but good luck to those who'll sadly lose their jobs.

European Development Arm

The Creative Assembly - Just released Alien: Isolation, working on Attlia expansion for Rome II: Total War, Total War: Warhammer and Total War Arena.

Sports Interactive - Football Manager series

Hardlight - Mobile games and PC ports. Their Sonic Dash game had 65 million downloads.

American Development Arm

Three Rings - Developer of Spiral Knights, does a bunch of mobile games.

Relic Entertainment - Finished working on Company of Heroes and it's expansion, I suppose Dawn of War 3 is next?

They've got a pretty substantial Western division as far as development goes.

Oh I see. So SEGA JP is safe :)

Wow they have a lot more studios than I thought they would.

I know it's impossible, but I would love to see Nintendo buying Sega.

Tons of unused ips like Golden axe, Streets of rage, Shinobi, Shenmue, Nights, Panzer Dragoon, House of the dead, Beyond Oasis... And they could start making good Sonic games at last.

Nintendo doesn't seem to have either the capacity or inclination to revive many of their own long forgotten franchises, why would do they add Sega's dead IPs to list of games that people keep asking for them to produce?

Seik

Banned
Wow, what a shitty way to wake up.

So many franchises in the gutter. Hope all the laid off people will get back on their feet quickly. :(

Sami+

Ugh, fuck SEGA. Hopefully someone buys their properties. Sonic's my main concern but if Jet Set Radio can get another shot I'd be thrilled.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
WTF? Are they planning to release big budget games at all? I mean there's TW: Attila was announced not so long ago, not to mention the fact that there is also new Warhammer game on the way from CA.

JNA

Banned
When I made this image didn't think it'll be that relevant to Sega so much:
B8h3XUfIMAALGaK.png:large

Sorry to hear the news to everyone affected by this =(

Dude...I love cheesecakes! That image is relevant, funny, and mentions my favorite desert of all time!

Good shit man! :D

AniHawk

damn. so that's it for sega of america? i mean completely pulling out of america (aside from atlus usa) is really an end of an era.

atlus will keep on keepin' on, i guess. they will probably have first rights to refusal for any japanese games that have potential regarding localization (mobile or otherwise). doesn't seem like there will be much though outside of sonic and maybe some stuff from their western devs.

ezodagrom

damn. so that's it for sega of america? i mean completely pulling out of america (aside from atlus usa) is really an end of an era.

atlus will keep on keepin' on, i guess. they will probably have first rights to refusal for any japanese games that have potential regarding localization (mobile or otherwise). doesn't seem like there will be much though outside of sonic and maybe some stuff from their western devs.
The article in the OP fails to mention that they're moving the San Francisco offices to South California.

A shame that people are losing their jobs because of this, but I'm honestly not surprised. The chickens of the overvalued Sonic Boom initiative (along with the Nintendo-exclusive Sonic partnership, the Aliens: Colonial Marines controversy, and pretty much every other shenanigan the publisher has pulled over the last decade), have finally come home to roost at Sega.

Tobor

Focusing on the growth of digital distribution and streamlining physical packaging operations...how is this bad news?

Here is one company actually making moves to secure its future, and people are crying doom?

You guys better get used to it, as there is going to be a lot more of this going forward.

AniHawk

The article in the OP fails to mention that they're moving the San Francisco offices to South California.

oh what!?

wow. if people weren't a little worried about atlus usa, this could be a good time to start. i don't know if any entity that owns sega would let them and atlus have two separate offices so close to each other (atlus being in irvine).

Steel

Banned
It would be one thing if they just said they were going for PC, but they're saying PC Online and Mobile... Fuck. So they're going to go the F2P route.

Top Bottom