• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SEGA World Drivers Championship (Arcade, UE4)

Celine

With Sega on board, I think that would make Koei Tecmo and Konami the only major Japanese console publishers who don't have at least one UE4 game in development.

Well, I guess it depends how we count Level-5. Maybe we should swap them with Konami these days?
Looking at the japanese market, Level-5 is definitely one of the top 10 publisher (top 5 in recent years) though they strived mostly by developing games for Nintendo handhelds which until recently (Switch) could not support Unreal engines and as of now it's not clear what games Level-5 has in development for Switch.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Also notable is that the cabinet has "Sega Motorsports Works" written on it. A possible umbrella name for new racing projects from Sega?

That would be an interesting development!

Does Konami still fall into that category? Aren't their only announced console releases just Metal Gear Survive and this year's Pro Evo?

They put out a new Bomberman on the Switch, too. But yeah, I wouldn't consider them a major publisher anymore. Putting out three games a year doesn't equal "major."

Kyouji

Haman Discharged... she smells nice
This shit better come to PC and consoles. Ain't no arcades around here for me to enjoy this.

bumpkin

Seems like it.

I also had no idea SEGA had developed a new R-360. Weird.
Daytona 3 is out in arcades. My local arcade hooked up machines just before the 4th of July...

19620517_10155687976352780_4743514593419106252_o.jpg

I played a few games while I was up there on the 5th, it was awesome!

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Also notable is that the cabinet has "Sega Motorsports Works" written on it. A possible umbrella name for new racing projects from Sega?
Also says "SEGA DRIVE". Wouldn't be surprised if the next driving games from SEGA carry this branding. But what could they be? OutRun 3 would be such a nice surprise.

Gestault

Shoot...that sounds really cool. I'm fearful about the chances of a home version, considering the arcade business model/venue licensing might be at odds with it.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Seeing Sega put out a new racing game is awesome, but are they going for realism? I love when they create their own tracks where I'm racing among ruins or through an aquarium.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Seeing Sega put out a new racing game is awesome, but are they going for realism? I love when they create their own tracks where I'm racing among ruins or through an aquarium.
looks like realism, which is uncommon for a literal arcade racer.

looks like realism, which is uncommon for a literal arcade racer.

I actually think it could be arcadey based on the tracks we're seeing. Looking at the track layouts on the website, none of them match any current SGT tracks. And there are no SGT tracks that are run through a city. I think they'd license some real world tracks if they were going for realism. Which means this could be more of a Sega Touring Car effort, which used licensed Touring Cars, but in completely original tracks. While you had a sim like F355 Challenge where they licensed real cars and tracks.

Stoked to see footage of this. Hoping for lots of sweet drifting.

Having 45 player races implies a very arcade-like handling model, I think. You can't have a 45 player race with realistic handling and also have the fairly short game length that the average arcade game *must* have to optimize revenue. The people who start on the back end of the grid would be screwed every time. And having a 50+ minute race is out of the picture as well--Too long for most people to get in a quick play or two and game center operators would crank the price per play up to compensate for the long play time, further decreasing people's desire to play it.

Super stoked to find out more about this Sega Motorsports Works.

Google translate would imply that it's multi-class? Meaning there's two races running at once, so that'd be pretty cool. I still don't see it being a sim (or even on the sim side of things) for the aforementioned reasons.

leehom

Hype AF! Console release when?? and while they're at it, bring Initial D arcade.........super duper please.

FrankCanada97

Roughly the size of a baaaaaarge
Google translate would imply that it's multi-class? Meaning there's two races running at once, so that'd be pretty cool. I still don't see it being a sim (or even on the sim side of things) for the aforementioned reasons.

Super GT runs GT500 and GT300 class cars, but the promotional material only seems to be focusing on the GT300 class cars.

"Super GT runs GT500 and GT300 class cars, but the promotional material seems to be focusing on the GT300 class cars only."

Yeah, I know Super GT runs multi-class, but it's not a common feature in games outside of the top end sims.

Google translate (obviously not reliable) at the bottom of the 4GAMER article implies there'll 6 vehicles in 2 classes at the location test. "3 Domestic manufacturers," which is probably going to be Nissan, Honda, and Toyota.

And while it's not very conclusive evidence, all of the screenshots with a HUD show the player's position as N out of 20 places. Which is weird if you have single class race with 45 players, not so weird if you have a multi-class race.

Whatever happen to Daytona 3? Is that still a thing?

It's out there. We finally got one in Canada (The Rec Room in Toronto). Not gunna lie. From what I played. I really wished that the game went back to a normal 4 gear shifter. An up/down gear shifter felt really off for Daytona.

FrankCanada97

Roughly the size of a baaaaaarge
"Super GT runs GT500 and GT300 class cars, but the promotional material seems to be focusing on the GT300 class cars only."

Yes, I know Super GT runs multi-class, but it's not a common feature in games outside of the top end Sims.

Google translate (obviously not reliable) at the bottom of the 4GAMER article implies there'll 6 vehicles in 2 classes at the location test. "3 Domestic manufacturers," which is probably going to be Nissan, Honda, and Toyota.

Now that I look closely at the promo image showing the cars, I can see the GT500 cars in the back row are the Honda NSX, Lexus LC and Nissan GTR.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Here is the YouTube trailer that people are talking about. Looks like it's just live action footage.

https://youtu.be/PQgw6gYuQMM

We'll know what the game looks like in motion next week.

I actually have it on good authority that this is *NOT* live action footage, but actually in-game graphics. The only part that's live action is the part showing humans.

"I actually have it on good authority that this is *NOT* live action footage, but actually in-game graphics. The only part that's live action is the part showing humans."

Nah, not buying that.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
I actually have it on good authority that this is *NOT* live action footage, but actually in-game graphics. The only part that's live action is the part showing humans.

"I actually have it on good authority that this is *NOT* live action footage, but actually in-game graphics. The only part that's live action is the part showing humans."

Nah, not buying that.

lol

F355 Challenge ya'll

Maybe the driving will be spectacular. Can't wait to see this thing.

Top Bottom