• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seiken Densetsu 3 seemingly coming to Switch (no localization news)

Blackage

Goddamn travesty that this was never released in English officially, was the last really great Mana game before the series went to shit.

SNES JRPGs are the entire reason I learned about emulators and ROMs and fan translations, were a blessing back in the day.

tsundoku

Goddamn travesty that this was never released in English officially, was the last really great Mana game before the series went to shit.

SNES JRPGs are the entire reason I learned about emulators and ROMs and fan translations, were a blessing back in the day.
You have an entire game called Legend of Mana to play dude

Meh...

An effort into localization would probably be too much cost for justify a simple Virtual Console release

Was Sin & Punishment for Wii VC localized or the game was already in english

Anyway very hyped that this game out of nowhere, always hoped it would make it to Wii U or 3DS VC

Nairume

Banned
Was Sin & Punishment for Wii VC localized or the game was already in english

Anyway very hyped that this game out of nowhere, always hoped it would make it to Wii U or 3DS VC
The voice acting was always in English and Nintendo was just sitting on a mostly localized version of the game before releasing that on virtual console.

Same situation as Mother 1.

Hilarion

Meh...

An effort into localization would probably be too much cost for justify a simple Virtual Console release

If there was one, it wouldn't be for a simple VC release. Seiken Densetsu I and II received Android/iOS ports, and in the case of SK1 a full-scale remake for that as Adventure of Mana that was essentially built from the ground up. If they were planning on porting Seiken Densetsu III for Android/iOS (which they'd hinted at a few times), they'd need to localize it anyway, and could probably justify slapping that script on the old SNES ROM as a Virtual Console release for the Switch while Android/iOS gets the mobile port.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
Can y'all respond to that tweet and ask for a localization effort from them? I assume the more people tweeting them about it, the more they may pay attention to our plea :D

Nairume

Banned
If there was one, it wouldn't be for a simple VC release. Seiken Densetsu I and II received Android/iOS ports, and in the case of SK1 a full-scale remake for that as Adventure of Mana that was essentially built from the ground up. If they were planning on porting Seiken Densetsu III for Android/iOS (which they'd hinted at a few times), they'd need to localize it anyway, and could probably justify slapping that script on the old SNES ROM as a Virtual Console release for the Switch while Android/iOS gets the mobile port.
The other thing to consider is that comments made in the past indicated that they did actually plan on localizing it back in the day. Depending on how far along those plans got, they could actually have been sitting on a localized script this whole time. Wouldn't be the first time Square dug up something like that to use for a port.

Mr_Moogle

Why didn't this game get released all those years ago anyway? It's awesome and has some of the best presentation you'll see in a snes game. I've heard they didn't want to take too much focus away from Secret of Evermore but that's an incredibly stupid reason not to release a game.

The fan translation from Neill Corlett wasn't too bad for the time. Wish they would just throw a few bucks his way and release the damned game.

This is either:
1. Proof of concept showing that Square can get their old stuff running on Switch.
2. A tease of a re-release for Switch
3. Virtual Console
Either way not a chance in hell this is getting localized.

The Giant

Banned
Maybe there is a direct this week and Nintendo and square announces that, various Japan only snes rpgs will be localised for switch.

Jubern

This reminds me of what could be something important when it comes to whether this could be easily localised or not, at least from a technical standpoint: the iOS port had a fully retranslated French script. The original translation was a very barebone one done by Nintendo of Europe back in the day whereas the new one was done internally at SE.

Seiken 2 and 3 are pretty similar so I guess it could at the very least indicate that they have the tools and knowhow for this.

Some Nobody

The more important question is what happened to the Seiken Densetsu "reboot" the franchise was undergoing? Last year was the 25th anniversary and everything. :(

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Games like SD3 having online coop on Switch would be quite the reason to "upgrade" or get them...lets see how this works out.

Fredrik

Meh...

It would totally be worth it if it's just a text japanese-english translation, could be done in a few days easily. Japanese-english/spanish/french/italian/etc might not be worth it though but is it needed for gamers these days? we're here at this board from all over the world communicating just fine, I'd say just ignore to non-english languages and let us all enjoy this game.

OmegaDL50

It would totally be worth it if it's just a text japanese-english translation, could be done in a few days easily. Japanese-english/spanish/french/italian/etc might not be worth it though but is it needed for gamers these days? we're here at this board from all over the world communicating just fine, I'd say just ignore to non-english languages and let us all enjoy this game.

The fan localization for this game took several years and this is coming from some of the most prominent members of the fan translation community at the time.

Nevermind the fact the game itself has 3 entirely different story arcs depending on your party setup, so that is three variations of the story that need translating, not mention NPC dialog, item and shop data and whatever else is required such as status screens for example.

A "few days" is certainly not going to cut it to properly translate this game, especially if SE decides to not use Neill Corlett's translation as a base (Not that they would anyways, even despite the fact it's very good translation even.)

Even a basic text translation would take a few weeks minimum, definitely not a few days, and translation in the sense of properly flowing dialog, error and consistency checking to make sure there is no text overflow outside the text boxes and any other adjustments that may be required.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
Let's hear what their plan is for Japanese version first... release the game there first and we need to let them know there's a market for it in English!

Megatron

You people asking for legend of Mana.... it's on psn! Go buy a vita/psp/PS3 and be done with it!

The fan localization for this game took several years and this is coming from some of the most prominent members of the fan translation community at the time.

Nevermind the fact the game itself has 3 entirely different story arcs depending on your party setup, so that is three variations of the story that need translating, not mention NPC dialog, item and shop data and whatever else is required such as status screens for example.

A "few days" is certainly not going to cut it to properly translate this game, especially if SE decides to not use Neill Corlett's translation as a base (Not that they would anyways, even despite the fact it's very good translation even.)

Even a basic text translation would take a few weeks minimum, definitely not a few days, and translation in the sense of properly flowing dialog, error and consistency checking to make sure there is no text overflow outside the text boxes and any other adjustments that may be required.

There's more to localization than just translating. You also go have to go through the whole game, make sure there is no licensed music or images for example.

Top Bottom