• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seiken Densetsu 3 seemingly coming to Switch (no localization news)

I'm really not. Those are 3 awesome systems, pick your favorite/the cheapest, most gaffers probably already have one already. I have all 3.
As someone who has all three, this one isn't available in English as far as I know. A Vita can't translate a Japanese game by itself.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
He was talking about Legend of Mana on PSN, which is in English.

You can also get Seiken Densetsu 1 (Adventures of Mana) on PSVita PSN. Basically it's a remake of the GB version. Same system and same everything except for the graphics which is 3D:

finalfantasyadventureadventuresofmana2_thumb.jpg

ffasombogard_thumb.jpg

Fredrik

The fan localization for this game took several years and this is coming from some of the most prominent members of the fan translation community at the time.

Nevermind the fact the game itself has 3 entirely different story arcs depending on your party setup, so that is three variations of the story that need translating, not mention NPC dialog, item and shop data and whatever else is required such as status screens for example.

A "few days" is certainly not going to cut it to properly translate this game, especially if SE decides to not use Neill Corlett's translation as a base (Not that they would anyways, even despite the fact it's very good translation even.)

Even a basic text translation would take a few weeks minimum, definitely not a few days, and translation in the sense of properly flowing dialog, error and consistency checking to make sure there is no text overflow outside the text boxes and any other adjustments that may be required.
Oh... I never thought it would be that complicated. I just thought you could go japanese word-swap-english word, kind of. :/
Then we'll never see it in english. Bummer. :(

Seiken densetsu 3 is the best mana ever made in my opinion! Really strange to me that square-enix never remade it in some way, considering they remake every fucking games!

Everyone should play it, even if it's only on emulator with fan translation!

I played a fan translation of this years ago, it was absolutely fantastic. I'd love to revisit it and actually have the opportunity to pay for it this time. The Mana series used to be so damn good...

Goddamn travesty that this was never released in English officially, was the last really great Mana game before the series went to shit.

SNES JRPGs are the entire reason I learned about emulators and ROMs and fan translations, were a blessing back in the day.

i thought legend of mana and sword of mana was okay

jman2050

Why didn't this game get released all those years ago anyway? It's awesome and has some of the best presentation you'll see in a snes game. I've heard they didn't want to take too much focus away from Secret of Evermore but that's an incredibly stupid reason not to release a game.

The fan translation from Neill Corlett wasn't too bad for the time. Wish they would just throw a few bucks his way and release the damned game.

There were plenty of circumstantial factors going against a SD3 localization at the time, such as the length and scope of the game, and the fact that it was a really late SNES release that would have overlapped with the rise of the Playstation, stuff like that.

But the actual true reason it got killed is that SD3 is absolutely broken to hell and back on a programming level and fixing it for an American release would have been highly cost- and time-prohibitive for Square's American operation.

Spman2099

I wonder if Square would be able to just get in contact with the translators and work something out. Why not? Has this ever happened before? It seems like a win-win for everyone...

Famassu

This here alone would make Switch worth owning if they finally wised up and localized this.

Little Famassu was so confused & disappointed when I saw preview(s) of this in Super Power magazine back in the days, got super-hyped about more Secret of Mana (we played SoM through, like, a hundred times with my big brother, or at least started it over that many times, we didn't necessarily make it through each time before we started again from the beginning ^_^; ) and then it was just never, ever released and I was confused why. Internet wasn't as much of a thing back then and I was pretty young so I didn't know why this game I had seen previews for never arrived until a few years later.

MrT-Tar

Square Enix, if you prepare an on official English localisation for both Seiken Densetsu 3 and Bahamut Lagoon, I will forgive you for every misstep you haven taken in the past 10 years.

MrT-Tar

This had just got me thinking too, which SNES/SFC Squaresoft and Enix games have yet to see a Virtual Console release?

This didn't, but appears to be imminent

I can't recall Actraiser 2 being released

Soul Blazer, Illusion of Time/Gaia, and Terranigma never were

Star Ocean never was (presumably not to compete with the PSP remake)

Were there any others?

EDIT: sorry for double post

Surely they wouldn't do this but then this time just not release it in English at some point right? They wouldn't do that, knowing it's such a 'big' game to the fans, one that never got officially translated, while other similar games finally got the treatment, this one that never did, to go and now (seemingly) re-release it on Switch.... only in Japan again, they wouldn't right?

SURELY?

SE PLEASE.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Oh my god. Switch is such a perfect console, that double joycon MP is perfect. If this ever gets localised I'll buy it so hard

Robin64

Surely they wouldn't do this but then this time just not release it in English at some point right?

I mean, you'd hope not, but Square haven't even given a shit about Wii U Virtual Console in the west. Japan has been getting their SNES goodies while we've been denied them all. Thanks Square.

120v

funny thing is Secret of Mana was one of the best selling jrpgs in the west (by pre FF7 standards) ... not like "Secret of Mana 2" would be some niche labor of love to localize, even to this day

probably SE's worst handled franchise. could've been huge

They need to localize it and add online coop. They've said they would do so for Virtual Console releases. This game needs that.

radcliff

I remember drooling over screenshots of this game in Gamefan magazine. That and being beyond frustrated that it never made its way out of Japan. Its time to right that wrong, Square-Enix!

tbm24

I think I've played the old translated version enough when I was younger than I can go through this game entirely in Japanese. Very exciting if this does come in any form. I don't have a switch but would you be able to do 3 players on one console say with a pro controller and the 2 joycons?

Link_enfant

Out of nowhere.
Literally the last game I'd have thought of when talking about a first possible hint on Switch's VC.

I'm so hyped. Please, please don't forget SD2 and bring it on VC/do a port/remaster that'll do the game justice. Not like this crappy iOS port.

Please.

Surely they wouldn't do this but then this time just not release it in English at some point right? They wouldn't do that, knowing it's such a 'big' game to the fans, one that never got officially translated, while other similar games finally got the treatment, this one that never did, to go and now (seemingly) re-release it on Switch.... only in Japan again, they wouldn't right?

SURELY?

SE PLEASE.
Something something Mother 3....

It still hurts. Well, at least we got a fan translated patch.

Awesome game, though it didn't quite have the charm of SoM I'd still happily play it again. Still remember class changing my Valkyrie into a dragon master....

Oh man...

I remember seeing this game in Nintendo Power way back in the day.

The original Mana game had left such a wonderful, lasting impression on me that I was super stoked to play this game.

And then it never came.

I was mega crushed.

Then the rom era came around and I was once again reminded about this game. Early on, no translation, I remember printing out the gamefaqs translation and playing this game countless times with every different party configuration and job classes as possible. So much fun!

Then, the fan translation came out as a patch for the game, so once again I played through this game.

It's so much fun.

If this comes out on the switch, it's a must purchase for me. I could play this game perfectly fine, regardless of no localization.

So hyped!

Nairume

Banned
I wonder if Square would be able to just get in contact with the translators and work something out. Why not? Has this ever happened before? It seems like a win-win for everyone...
Xseed did it for an Ys game or two in the past, but that's about it as far as notable stuff goes.

Comet

I really need to play this. I remember my time with the first one (here in America as Final Fantasy Adventure) very very fondly.

Pinky

Banned
I really hope S-E shows a lot more love for the Switch VC than they did for the Wii U VC in NA. I need my FFs, Secret of Mana and Chrono Trigger.

Even though they're unlikely to fix some of the shortcomings/glitches, if they slapped a decent translation
or somehow used the fan translation
lol
on this game I'd buy it the second it was up on the store, even if the thing went for $60.

I dreamed about this game coming over as a kid long after the SNES stopped being viable, and eventually bought one of those fake cartridges for the SNES with the fan translation patched in to accompany my super famicom copy. Just being able to own it on any hardware in English officially would be wonderful.

Of course, I'm pretty certain they're just taking advantage of the new hardware to release one of the few SNES games SE never pumped out for the virtual console, let alone a re-release iirc, so they wouldn't bother translating it outside of some long-dormant translation that went unused. A full-on remake seems more likely to make the jump to the west.

All this speculation and dreaming for a little clip is pretty dumb on my part either way, that I'm sure of at least

M-PG71C

Just the fact I can buy it on the Japanese store on my U.S. Switch is amazing enough for me. Day one no matter what.

t26

OmegaDL50

Oh... I never thought it would be that complicated. I just thought you could go japanese word-swap-english word, kind of. :/
Then we'll never see it in english. Bummer. :(

A straight Japanese to English translation generally never works. Doing this it comes across as completely nonsensical to a native English reader and you end up with Engrish. Worser you get something super literal and completely bland and end up like the RPGOne / Sky Render FF6 fan-translation which sucks all nuance and characterization out of the dialog and everyone comes across as a machine.

Localization is a very delicate process.

Read this for a bit of better understanding of the process - http://h-protagonist.tumblr.com/post/133766547738/how-the-sausage-gets-made

Edit: Ah, I wasn't aware, t26 posted the exact same link above. It's still a worthwhile read.

Top Bottom