• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Senate healthcare repeal bill fails - Collins, Murkowski, and McCain voted no

Rubenov

DFzWFvNU0AIkiMQ

This is exactly what governing should be. Open discussions with inputs from both sides.

dofry

That's "Dr." dofry to you.
So, can someone give me a TLDR, or point me towards a comparison of the current ACA system and what they are trying to propose. I am not satisfied with the "we will offer a better healthcare system" explanations that the Republicans are giving out. It tells me nothing if you don't give me details on how it's better. Or, "you have failed american people" when you don't tell how exactly.

I kind of know that there are some repercussions on existing conditions or something but I need more details.

Thanks.

EDIT: That McCain statement clarifies things a bit.

btrboyev

This is what we should focus on. There are plenty of middle class people that depend on the marketplace to purchase healthcare for a variety of reasons such as running their own small business.

The waters are muddied then, what makes a small business owner middle class when a small business could mean $250,000 a year? That's not middle class. I make $50,000 a year and get insurance through my employer. I'm middle class.

broz0rs

I believe it was a surprise. No one, absolutely no one thought there would be three no votes.

yup, McConnell and Cornyn were positive they had the votes. That's why the VP was summoned to cast the tie-breaker. After McCain's vote, Pence spent 15 minutes to get him to change his mind, but no dice.

Azuran

Banned
The face turn out of nowhere. Not even Vince McMahon could book something this delicious.

Eat shit turtle. Go back into your shell and die please.

Shauni

I'm just curious if this was actually a surprise to McConnell & Company. It's entertaining and pleasing either way, but it seems unlikely to me that they would initiate a vote without having all their ducks in a row.

They called in Pence right before the vote was about to begin, then delayed it, while several Senators spent roughly half an hour talking to McCain, then to the Alaska Senator. I don't really see any reason at all why they would do that if they knew going in they didn't have the votes.

Steel

Banned
So, can someone give me a TLDR, or point me towards a comparison of the current ACA system and what they are trying to propose. I am not satisfied with the "we will offer a better healthcare system" explanations that the Republicans are giving out. It tells me nothing if you don't give me details on how it's better. Or, "you have failed american people" when you don't tell how exactly.

I kind of know that there are some repercussions on existing conditions or something but I need more details.

Thanks.

TLDR: What they just voted on was a bill that only got rid of the individual mandate and taxes on people without insurance, which the CBO says would destroy the individual markets and put 15 million off insurance in 1 year while raising premiums. The other bills were various types of clusterfucks that included massive tax cuts to insurance company executives just because.

theWB27

You said you'd rather ignore a blatant lie to focus on what sounds nice so there's really nothing more for me to say to you. I'm sure you're aware of how the GOP operates.

So, whatever.

I have this rare ability to be optimistic while keeping myself in check. If you didn't notice during your whatever fit... his actions tonight backed up his words. I'm grown up enough to not shit on someone for not doing what i usually shit on them for...that's going along party line.

You should've never quoted me if you weren't ready to discuss.

The waters are muddied then, what makes a small business owner middle class when a small business could mean $250,000 a year? That's not middle class. I make $50,000 a year and get insurance through my employer. I'm middle class.

Small business could mean that or it could mean less. Anecdotal example: IT tech support single self employed person. They might make 40-80k a year who knows... that is not 250k.

studyguy

I'm kind of assuming that Heller voted Yes because he knew the vote would fail anyway....which means at least some Senators knew the whole thing was dead in the water anyway.

Heller voting yes means he's giving people the rope to hang him on in the future. Expect Heller to just fall in line in the future.

I have this rare ability to be optimistic while keeping myself in check. If you didn't notice during your whatever fit... his actions tonight backed up his words. I'm grown up enough to not shit on someone for not doing what i usually shit on them for...that's going along party line.

You should've never quoted me if you weren't ready to discuss.

lol grown up

enjoy that optimism, ya great big adult!

Small business owner also includes things like freelancers and other sole proprietorships that earn decidedly less than 250k.

Sciz

I'm just curious if this was actually a surprise to McConnell & Company. It's entertaining and pleasing either way, but it seems unlikely to me that they would initiate a vote without having all their ducks in a row.

This isn't even the first time this year that McCain's turned in a surprise no vote to sink a bill out of spite.

Considering betting went upwards of 90% this being passed, this was absolutely an upset. They wouldn't have called a vote to ram this through unless they were sure they had the votes to do so.

This is far from over though. We are all having a small party but the Empire has yet to fall. I am curious as to what infighting will happen with Trumps meltdowns over the course of today.

Zolo

Considering betting went upwards of 90% this being passed, this was absolutely an upset. They wouldn't have called a vote to ram this through unless they were sure they had the votes to do so.

I wonder if he was a 'yes' earlier or if they just assumed he was.

Shauni

None of that has anything to do with the fact that the second half of that statement is covered in a massive, damaging lie. You can agree with the bipartisanship sentiment behind it, but sticking your head about the obvious disinformation it's trying to sow doesn't make you enlightened, it makes you rather blind to the moment

greepoman

Not just the owners but anyone who works at a small business. No company with less than 50 people is required to offer insurance. I know a few people at companies like this who make around what you do and have to go through the exchanges to get insurance.

Well then I do eat my words. Fully eat my crow. With BBQ Sauce.

But what the fuck at saying yes to opening the bill up for debate. I don't fucking get you McCain. You wasted valuable hours for what? To troll Trump? It can't be that petty...

Right?

border

Then I guess the question is "What made McCain flip in the final minutes of voting?" He doesn't seem like the sort of guy that would tell McConnell "Yes" and then change his vote 15 minutes later.

Donald J. Trump @realDonaldTrump
3 Republicans and 48 Democrats let the American people down. As I said from the beginning, let ObamaCare implode, then deal. Watch!

Lmao

RC0101

I am amazed. Thanks to the Medicaid expansion my daughter will have a shot at leading a "normal" life where as if it was never put in place she would have been lost. We no longer need the expansion personally but I was sick to my stomach thinking of anyone else going through what I went through 5 years ago and having no hope.

I called all three R Senators and thanked them for their no votes.

theWB27

None of that has anything to do with the fact that the second half of that statement is covered in a massive, damaging lie. You can agree with the bipartisanship sentiment behind it, but sticking your head about the obvious disinformation it's trying to sow doesn't make you enlightened, it makes you rather blind to the moment

I guess you missed the part where i keep myself in check. I have to do that because Im aware of everything he says In the letter and how the GOP operate.

Im not pretending to be enlightened... but i dont have to jump in your reality pool.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
Well then I do eat my words. Fully eat my crow. With BBQ Sauce.

But what the fuck at saying yes to opening the bill up for debate. I don't fucking get you McCain. You wasted valuable hours for what? To troll Trump? It can't be that petty...

Right?

If by petty you mean awesome, calculated retribution then yes.

Then I guess the question is "What made McCain flip in the final minutes of voting?" He doesn't seem like the sort of guy that would tell McConnell "Yes" and then change his vote 15 minutes later.

Honestly I believe McCain never told them what he was going to vote. They assumed it was yes. That is why Pence and company started to talk to him more and more... The entire thing is really strange for McCain given his voting record. He gave the speech earlier that reminded me of pre 2008 McCain and then I just assumed he would vote yes for whatever.

Dhx

McCain said in his opening statement coming back that he would not vote for the damn thing without major modifications.

He was good on his word.

Those that went to the depths of the toilet to attack a man with likely less than a year to live should take a pause, if nothing more.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!

Thanks.

EDIT: That McCain statement clarifies things a bit.

It's all just empty words to keep their voting base in suspense and running on the presumption that the world is on fire and the solution is in an R vote. They literally have been saying this for decades and produced nothing.

This presidency was finally their chance to show their cards and it was as embarrassing and craven a solution as possible. They proved to the world that there was never any work being done, just obstruction and bemoaning anything their opposition brings to the table.

greepoman

It was reported earlier and basically reflected in his statement. Paul Ryan gave away that the house was probably just going to straight up pass the bill instead of doing the conference and McCain didn't fill comfortable passing a shell of a bill with no real plan except to sabotage Obamacare.

Now if it was a real plan that took away people's insurance on purpose then he was all for it....but principles I guess?

Top Bottom